Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I think the only things in both instances of stomach upset, again this past Saturday, was the Clif bars I ate. One of my siblings pointed out she had problems after eating them to. So I guess I'll just hand them out the next time I go camping to other campers. At least I didn't buy a case of them, just a small box. Taste good, but I may as well eat green apples if I eat a Clif bar.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I think the only things in both instances of stomach upset, again this past Saturday, was the Clif bars I ate. One of my siblings pointed out she had problems after eating them to. So I guess I'll just hand them out the next time I go camping to other campers. At least I didn't buy a case of them, just a small box. Taste good, but I may as well eat green apples if I eat a Clif bar.
      TMI
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • JimBlue wrote:

I think the only things in both instances of stomach upset, again this past Saturday, was the Clif bars I ate. One of my siblings pointed out she had problems after eating them to. So I guess I'll just hand them out the next time I go camping to other campers. At least I didn't buy a case of them, just a small box. Taste good, but I may as well eat green apples if I eat a Clif bar.
      I never tried one. Maybe I shouldn't.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Took a walk yesterday to the Wolf Creek Falls Preserve in Knox, NY. Five miles of easy trail and my foot was killing me at the end, but I needed to get out for a few hours! This getting old stuff is the pits!

Trip report is here. The place has some interesting archaeology to it. And now Open Street Map has it, so lots of road maps and what-not will start to show it.

[IMG:https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1652/26649153735_fc0ca46b8f_z.jpg]
      Wolf Creek Falls by Kevin Kenny, on Flickr

[IMG:https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1575/26622448416_974e848da8_z.jpg]Wreckage by Kevin Kenny, on Flickr

It's a stop on the New York Long Path.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Took a walk yesterday to the Wolf Creek Falls Preserve in Knox, NY. Five miles of easy trail and my foot was killing me at the end, but I needed to get out for a few hours! This getting old stuff is the pits!

Trip report is here. The place has some interesting archaeology to it. And now Open Street Map has it, so lots of road maps and what-not will start to show it.

[IMG:https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1652/26649153735_fc0ca46b8f_z.jpg]
      Wolf Creek Falls by Kevin Kenny, on FlickWreckage by Kevin Kenny, on Flickr

It's a stop on the New York Long Path.
      Sorry about the foot but glad you got out.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Yeah, I'm on Long Island right now, and several Thruway exits had signs up about Minnewaska being closed on account of it. Even this many years later, the place is a tinderbox from all the debris from Irene. We're going to keep having fires every spring until all that stuff either burns or rots.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Yeah, I'm on Long Island right now, and several Thruway exits had signs up about Minnewaska being closed on account of it. Even this many years later, the place is a tinderbox from all the debris from Irene. We're going to keep having fires every spring until all that stuff either burns or rots.
      I just got an Email, we are not going to Minnewaska until they are out. They will start a project on Black Mtn./AT, in Harriman,on the west side of the Palisade Parkway. That will take us into the summer.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Kathy and I climbed into the car about 6AM this past Monday armed with a variety of trail maps for northern New Jersey, Hudson Valley, and Harriman State Park. As we drove toward the bridge, to get off Long Island, we decided to go to Harriman because it would be the least amount of driving. We parked at the Ramapo Equestrian Center and were walking by 8:15.We headed up the Pine Meadow trail to the Suffern Bear Mountain trail and turned south. Around 10AM we stopped to make breakfast and to take a break. The day was mostly overcast and a little too warm for how I dressed, so off came the vest.Continuing south we came to a rocky view point around noon and stopped for lunch. After eating my PBJ sandwich I lay down on the rock, in the bright sun, and spent some time catching up on my lack of sleep. When I finally woke up we continued on over a series of trails that eventually took us back toward Pine Meadow Lake. We walked most of the length of the lake and came across a beautiful spot where it was obvious that many people had camped over time. We set up camp and relaxed by the lake shore before having dinner made over out MSR Simmerlite stove, in our K-Mart grease pot. We ate as the sun sank lower and lower toward the horizon. Eventually we climbed into our tent, a Tarptent Rainshadow II, and chatted and slowly slipped into the relaxation of sleep. Then, some time in the middle of the night, thunder cracked and lightening flashed across the sky and then the heavens opened and rain poured down. Our dog was scared by the thunder and lightening and crawled up between me and Kathy and spent the night shivering in fear. I fell back asleep despite the sky show and finally woke up well after morning. The rain had stopped and we got up and had breakfast and packed up. After looking at the map we decided to hike back toward the car on unmarked trails and woods roads. The day brought us heavy fog with almost no visibility. At one point we were unsure of which way to go at an intersection of trails because the lay out of the trails didn’t look the same as on the map. After a ways we didn’t think the trail was taking us in the right direction and I broke out my compass to check. Sure enough we were headed back into the park instead of toward our car. So we changed direction and went the right way once we got back to the intersection. Our hike continued and got us back to our car just as the rain started to come down hard again. The trip was short but it gave us a chance for relaxation and enjoyment that we get from being in the woods.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I climbed into the car about 6AM this past Monday armed with a variety of trail maps for northern New Jersey, Hudson Valley, and Harriman State Park. As we drove toward the bridge, to get off Long Island, we decided to go to Harriman because it would be the least amount of driving. We parked at the Ramapo Equestrian Center and were walking by 8:15.We headed up the Pine Meadow trail to the Suffern Bear Mountain trail and turned south. Around 10AM we stopped to make breakfast and to take a break. The day was mostly overcast and a little too warm for how I dressed, so off came the vest.Continuing south we came to a rocky view point around noon and stopped for lunch. After eating my PBJ sandwich I lay down on the rock, in the bright sun, and spent some time catching up on my lack of sleep. When I finally woke up we continued on over a series of trails that eventually took us back toward Pine Meadow Lake. We walked most of the length of the lake and came across a beautiful spot where it was obvious that many people had camped over time. We set up camp and relaxed by the lake shore before having dinner made over out MSR Simmerlite stove, in our K-Mart grease pot. We ate as the sun sank lower and lower toward the horizon. Eventually we climbed into our tent, a Tarptent Rainshadow II, and chatted and slowly slipped into the relaxation of sleep. Then, some time in the middle of the night, thunder cracked and lightening flashed across the sky and then the heavens opened and rain poured down. Our dog was scared by the thunder and lightening and crawled up between me and Kathy and spent the night shivering in fear. I fell back asleep despite the sky show and finally woke up well after morning. The rain had stopped and we got up and had breakfast and packed up. After looking at the map we decided to hike back toward the car on unmarked trails and woods roads. The day brought us heavy fog with almost no visibility. At one point we were unsure of which way to go at an intersection of trails because the lay out of the trails didn’t look the same as on the map. After a ways we didn’t think the trail was taking us in the right direction and I broke out my compass to check. Sure enough we were headed back into the park instead of toward our car. So we changed direction and went the right way once we got back to the intersection. Our hike continued and got us back to our car just as the rain started to come down hard again. The trip was short but it gave us a chance for relaxation and enjoyment that we get from being in the woods.
      It sounds so relaxing. I really enjoyed reading about the details...chatting with Kathy, the thunder and fog and your nap...thanks for including that.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • LIhikers wrote:

. After eating my PBJ sandwich I lay down on the rock, in the bright sun, and spent some time catching up on my lack of sleep.
      Once had a nap atop one of the sun-warmed massive Manhattan Schist boulders within Central Park in early February.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Trebor wrote:

Took a long drive and a short walk to my favorite fishing spot on Friday. Weather was perfect.
      Upon moving to Utah, I learned and enjoy fly fishing. Unfortunately the folks I fish with usually practice catch and release...complete with unbarbed hooks.

With a past experience of catfish, perch, and bass fishing, I am considered a 'savage' as I practice the technique of 'if I catch it and it's legal, I eat it'. I do respect my fellow fishering partners and release the native trout, but the 'planted' trout are considered as an entrée .

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Took a "walk" today. It was a beautiful, really sunny, really warm day in South Central Alaska. My husband and I drove up to the Matanuska Glacier and did a little ice climbing (LOT of trekking around to find good ice). My feet a killing me (new boots). My calves feel like I was in high heels most of the day and I'm a little bit wind/sun burned. Aside from that it was an AWESOME day. I cringed when I paid the retail price for my Julbo spec 4 sunglasses but my eyes aren't hurting and I didn't feel the need to squint at all. Normally I would have more pictures but since it was just the two of us, I didn't really have a lot of hands free time to devote to playing paparazzi.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • CoachLou wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Yeah, I'm on Long Island right now, and several Thruway exits had signs up about Minnewaska being closed on account of it. Even this many years later, the place is a tinderbox from all the debris from Irene. We're going to keep having fires every spring until all that stuff either burns or rots.
      I just got an Email, we are not going to Minnewaska until they are out. They will start a project on Black Mtn./AT, in Harriman,on the west side of the Palisade Parkway. That will take us into the summer.
      Every single time that you Yankees mention Harriman Park, I am transported back to my high school days and think first of that railroad worker saying "I work for Mr. EH Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad, and he entrusted me....." and the second thought is about the young guy I was sweet on and his buddy. That summer, the buddy was Butch, the young guy was The Kid and I was the Teacher Lady. We were going to the National Junior Achievement Convention in Bloomington, Indiana. Brings a smile to my face every time.
    • Trillium wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Every single time that you Yankees mention Harriman Park, I am transported back to my high school days and think first of that railroad worker saying "I work for Mr. EH Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad, and he entrusted me....." and the second thought is about the young guy I was sweet on and his buddy. That summer, the buddy was Butch, the young guy was The Kid and I was the Teacher Lady. We were going to the National Junior Achievement Convention in Bloomington, Indiana. Brings a smile to my face every time.
      One of my all-time favorite movies!
    • Trillium wrote:

You do realize that much of Harriman Park (and Bear Mountain as well) was E.H.Harriman's private preserve? The Elk Pen was where he kept captive elk, so that every fall he could let a few out and go hunting for them. His widow gave the acreage to the state on the condition that they not build a prison at Bear Mountain - she didn't want it that close to her place. They built it at Beacon instead.

What wan't Harriman's preserve was Harriman's industrial wasteland - wrecked by mining and clearcutting. He had a lot of tenants who were driven out by the gift. He'd owned the hamlets of Johnsontown and Sandyfield outright, and they became ghost towns overnight. The ghost towns and abandoned mines are the reason that bushwhacking isn't allowed in Harriman - too much chance of people falling down abandoned wells and mineshafts, impaling themselves on decaying machinery, and similar man-made hazards. The gravel washer by Island Pond is one of the smaller bits of industrial archaeology to be found there.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Trillium wrote:

You do realize that much of Harriman Park (and Bear Mountain as well) was E.H.Harriman's private preserve? The Elk Pen was where he kept captive elk, so that every fall he could let a few out and go hunting for them. His widow gave the acreage to the state on the condition that they not build a prison at Bear Mountain - she didn't want it that close to her place. They built it at Beacon instead.

What wan't Harriman's preserve was Harriman's industrial wasteland - wrecked by mining and clearcutting. He had a lot of tenants who were driven out by the gift. He'd owned the hamlets of Johnsontown and Sandyfield outright, and they became ghost towns overnight. The ghost towns and abandoned mines are the reason that bushwhacking isn't allowed in Harriman - too much chance of people falling down abandoned wells and mineshafts, impaling themselves on decaying machinery, and similar man-made hazards. The gravel washer by Island Pond is one of the smaller bits of industrial archaeology to be found there.
      And of course trails go right through the remains of Doodletown where the flowers and plants the residents planted still remain as well as a lot of other "stuff". Of course Doodletown was there until well into the 20th century.
    • Well, I've finally taken a real walk since last August when my meniscus got an ouchie. My meet up group was doing a 2 hr training walk. Unfortunately, the parking lot was blocked off so I just went to a very nearby golf course and parked and walked down to the start. Then I checked my phone. Because of the block off, the organizer moved the walk. So, I proceeded with the original plan and walked along the river to this decent size hill and walked up and down it 4 times. The last couple times proved that I need some additional cardio work as I was a tad out of breath before I got to the top. Thinking about a short backpacking trip up north this week to the Jordan River Valley. Part of the loop trail is also part of the North Country Trail. Fingers crossed that it works out.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Is that what that is??
      RIAP
    • Walked 17 miles on the Arkansas River Trail today, then came home and did long toss with my son. Only took a day pack as I was focusing more on miles and my feet.

This week worked up to doing 6 miles in morning and 2 miles at night with a 25lb pack to build up my back and legs (at least most days weather permitting).
    • i went to amicalola falls state park today and man oh man that place was packed. i've never seen it that busy, and if ya asked me to imagine how busy it could possibly be i would have been off by a factor of 10. imagine disney world created an appalachian trail ride. it was that kind of busy. had everthing except the serpentine rope lines.

the plan was to park at the top of the falls and hike the approach for a bit and then return. but i saw a parking spot open up right in front of me near the visitor center so i grabbed it. i hiked up the approach trail and it's 600 plus stairs -- i swear they added some stairs and also somehow made em steeper since last fall -- and then hiked down the east ridge trail (which used to be the approach). that was right at 2 miles.

i then decided to go to mt oglethorpe since i've never been there. mt oglethorpe was the original southern terminus of the AT until 1958, when the terminus was moved to springer becasue smelly chicken farms had sprung up along the trail. until a couple years ago the summit of mt oglethorpe was under private ownership who did not permit access. that has now changed, so i decided to check it out.

first, the one disappointment. there is nothing there to indicate that the AT used to start at the summit of mt oglethorpe. no historical marker. not even a typed information sheet at the kiosk. you can not stand on the spot where the original AT started -- even if it was marked and you knew where it was -- as the half acre on the summit is fenced by the FAA and contains communication equipment.

however, the 100 or so acres immediately surrounding the summit have been converted into a park and are open to the public. i walked down a trail to an wood observation deck. this trail hooked up to the eagles rest trail so i decided to hike it and see where it went (no map). turns out it was a short trail that circled the summit. according to information at the kiosk it was 1/2 mile loop. the trail was white blazed. :) along the trail there are 4 large wood observation decks (really nice!) and the self proclaimed "best privy in the woods".

there is another trail, the oglethorpe mountain trail, which departs the from the trail above and goes down to a picnic area. it is 1.8 miles -- don't know if that is round trip or each way -- with a 500 foot elevation change. after doing the stairs at AFSP i'd had enough climbing for one day so i decided to do that trail the next time i go to AFSP. driving to the top of mt oglethorpe is only about 5 miles out of the way.

thats a lotta writing for a 2.5 mile trip report. :)

the drive home is worth mentioning as satellite radio replayed last nights jimmy buffet concert at frisco, tx.

got home, threw a couple beers in the fridge, and went out to kennesaw mountain where i did a quick 3 miles.

the highlight of the trip was getting to meet the ATC ridgerunner stationed at AFSP. can't put my finger on it, but she seemed vaguely familiar for some reason.

below is one of the 4 observation decks (they are all different designs) and the summit of mt oglethorpe. the original start of the AT is somewhere behind that chain link fence.

edit to add: lol, no surprise that this park has its own facebook page. a description of the oglethorpe mountain trail says it is 1.7 miles long and yellow blazed. shoulda used blue. :)

facebook.com/Eagles-Rest-on-Mt…-617567738328889/?fref=ts

2,000 miler

The post was edited 4 times, last by max.patch ().

• Yesterday Kathy and I did a quick couple of miles at a local county park, in the pouring rain.
      The temperature was too nice to put on a rain jacket so we each used an umbrella.
      From the waist up I was dry, from the waist to below the knees I was just a little damp, and below the knees I was pretty wet.