Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jimmyjam wrote:

so I took a short hike today on the AT. Reids gap to Maupin field shelter. It was on the chilly side right at 32 and windy. But its all uphill from the gap igot warm quick. The redo on the pack worked out great. I set up my tarp just for practice. Lunch was 4 cheese mashed potatoes with chicken tvp and little bourbon- hey its five o'clock somewhere and it was cold. I picked up trash at the campsite and shelter and at another campsite. I'll put up some pics later but im having my after hike beer and burger now.
      Here's some pictures:

Maupin is a really nice place with organized campsites with bear poles and grills.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • So I took a walk today. Played hooky from work due to the sunny skies and beautiful weather. Went up to the Catskills and hiked Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain. Panther is one of the Catskill 3500's and one of the four you have to hike twice (once in regular season and once in winter) this brings my total of Catskills to 5/35
      Images
      • image.jpeg

215.95 kB, 800×600, viewed 227 times
      • image.jpeg

204.85 kB, 800×600, viewed 213 times
      • image.jpeg

56.49 kB, 800×600, viewed 208 times
      • image.jpeg

85.52 kB, 800×600, viewed 216 times
      • image.jpeg

104.12 kB, 800×600, viewed 217 times
      • image.jpeg

78.57 kB, 800×600, viewed 224 times
      • image.jpeg

101.56 kB, 800×600, viewed 211 times
      • image.jpeg

108.54 kB, 800×600, viewed 210 times
      • image.jpeg

81.47 kB, 800×600, viewed 206 times
      • image.jpeg

249.23 kB, 800×600, viewed 215 times
      • image.jpeg

110.41 kB, 450×600, viewed 221 times
      • image.jpeg

110.08 kB, 800×600, viewed 214 times
      RIAP
    • Did an interesting snowshoe hike recently with two folks. Both are blind and utilize guide dogs to get from home to all points. However the trail (Bonneville Shoreline Trail) they wished to snowshoe is icy, narrow in places, and borders several steep drop-offs.

We met at a bus stop and commenced on the trail with me in trail. After several hours, we stopped and one commenced to brew tea on his pocket rocket stove. After distributing snacks and dog treats all around, we finished the segment. Shortly afterward, cloud cover enveloped the trail at our altitude but didn't hinder the pair nor the dogs.

As the BST parallels several communities, we finished the segment, descended to a bus stop, and commuted to the start point.

Both regularly hike the trail during milder weather, but request sighted hiker assistance during winter conditions. We're planning an extended overnight hike upon the arrival of spring.

For privacy reasons, I'm not providing pics, however I'll include a shot of my dog-in-training in her recovery mode.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Did an interesting snowshoe hike recently with two folks. Both are blind and utilize guide dogs to get from home to all points. However the trail (Bonneville Shoreline Trail) they wished to snowshoe is icy, narrow in places, and borders several steep drop-offs.

We met at a bus stop and commenced on the trail with me in trail. After several hours, we stopped and one commenced to brew tea on his pocket rocket stove. After distributing snacks and dog treats all around, we finished the segment. Shortly afterward, cloud cover enveloped the trail at our altitude but didn't hinder the pair nor the dogs.

As the BST parallels several communities, we finished the segment, descended to a bus stop, and commuted to the start point.

Both regularly hike the trail during milder weather, but request sighted hiker assistance during winter conditions. We're planning an extended overnight hike upon the arrival of spring.

For privacy reasons, I'm not providing pics, however I'll include a shot of my dog-in-training in her recovery mode.
      Does the dog help pull you along? Do you attach the leash to your waist?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • no...she's a lightweight. However a couple I ski with use their Labs to assist in upslope segments when we Nordi ski. I'm usually left in the proverbial dust.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • My idea of the perfect home, I hung a hammock in the woods, most of the folks slept in the cabins.
      Images
      • 600_445815361.jpeg

99.19 kB, 600×401, viewed 208 times
      • 600_445810674.jpeg

81.62 kB, 600×459, viewed 202 times
      • 600_445810682.jpeg

81.48 kB, 600×452, viewed 222 times
      • 600_445815356.jpeg

121.08 kB, 600×401, viewed 194 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • More photos of Pinhoti hike.
      Images
      • 600_445815361 (1).jpeg

99.19 kB, 600×401, viewed 201 times
      • 600_445810644.jpeg

73.65 kB, 600×400, viewed 193 times
      • 600_445810696.jpeg

82.04 kB, 600×400, viewed 190 times
      • 600_445810704.jpeg

125.49 kB, 600×378, viewed 192 times
      • 600_445815357.jpeg

129.01 kB, 600×401, viewed 220 times
      • 600_445815358.jpeg

105.18 kB, 600×401, viewed 199 times
      • 600_445815359.jpeg

101.48 kB, 600×401, viewed 164 times
      • 600_445815360.jpeg

103.37 kB, 600×401, viewed 151 times
    • More photos of Pinhoti hike.

socks wrote:

I like that fire tower picture, where is that? Kinda funny seeing a tent lofted in the cabin, was it drying out?
      Thanks for postin' DBones!
      That's Flagg Mt., the start point of the Pinhoti, I wondered about the tent also, wasn't needed, a modest female I assume, those cabins were some kind of nice, I may use them next deer season to camp in for a week or so and hunt, had a deer cross the trail in front of me just before reaching the cabins.
    • Drybones wrote:

More photos of Pinhoti hike.

socks wrote:

I like that fire tower picture, where is that? Kinda funny seeing a tent lofted in the cabin, was it drying out?
      That's Flagg Mt., the start point of the Pinhoti, I wondered about the tent also, wasn't needed, a modest female I assume, those cabins were some kind of nice, I may use them next deer season to camp in for a week or so and hunt, had a deer cross the trail in front of me just before reaching the cabins.
      can ya sleep in or at least go up in the tower? Does it have a nice view?
    • socks wrote:

Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

Cant get in it.
    • Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

Cant get in it.
      aye
    • socks wrote:

Fire towers are great for sleeping, however I usually find myself star gazing.

Regarding the tent, first thought was it was for marital purposes.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

Fire towers are great for sleeping, however I usually find myself star gazing.
      Regarding the tent, first thought was it was for marital purposes.
      I doubt there'd be much going on with a room full of folks listening....then again, they might be the adventurous type.
    • Did a short overnight hike this weekend, first time carrying a pack any distance since knee surgery, knee hurt some the first mile and then stopped, it's sore today, but I've come to understand the healing process is two steps forward and one back, you have to hurt it to break through the scare tissue to loosen it up and it will be sore for a while.
      Images
      • 2016_0131ctrail0023.JPG

198.88 kB, 800×600, viewed 133 times
      • 600_446420436.jpeg

135.14 kB, 600×450, viewed 134 times
      • 600_446420665.jpeg

163.84 kB, 600×450, viewed 140 times
      • 600_446463234.jpeg

131.46 kB, 600×397, viewed 140 times
      • 600_446463267.jpeg

130.3 kB, 600×397, viewed 138 times
      • 600_446463489.jpeg

63.24 kB, 600×397, viewed 145 times
      • 600_446463516.jpeg

119.49 kB, 600×397, viewed 136 times
    • Drybones wrote:

Did a short overnight hike this weekend, first time carrying a pack any distance since knee surgery, knee hurt some the first mile and then stopped, it's sore today, but I've come to understand the healing process is two steps forward and one back, you have to hurt it to break through the scare tissue to loosen it up and it will be sore for a while.
      That looks like a fun group to hike with. Glad your knee is recovering.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Did a short overnight hike this weekend, first time carrying a pack any distance since knee surgery, knee hurt some the first mile and then stopped, it's sore today, but I've come to understand the healing process is two steps forward and one back, you have to hurt it to break through the scare tissue to loosen it up and it will be sore for a while.
      That looks like a fun group to hike with. Glad your knee is recovering.
      It is a fun group, Mark, the big guy holding a pair of dehydrated chicken breasts is responsible for me getting into backpacking, we had a some laughs at his expense making fun of his meal.
    • The stars and weather and work schedules finally aligned and we were able to take a walk. We've tried to get down to Byron Glacier at least three times before our successful weekend venture. It's approximately 45 minutes south of Anchorage but the weather in the Portage Valley is unpredictable and often nothing like the weather in the Anchorage Bowl. The last three times, we left our house on sunny days only to arrive at the trail head to gale force winds and pounding rain.

Saturday, we finally had a clear, cool, beautiful day to get in a short but icy hike (approx 1.5 miles) and then some climbing on the glacier. The ice is kind of crumbly and crap for serious climbing right now due to the constant freeze/thaw cycle we've been in all winter but it was good enough for some "bouldering". The sun doesn't really shine down in the valley where the glacier moraine is located, so the pics are all in low light and not really that great. It was still worth it, even with a hacking cough and chest congestion. ;)

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Ewok11 wrote:

The stars and weather and work schedules finally aligned and we were able to take a walk. We've tried to get down to Byron Glacier at least three times before our successful weekend venture. It's approximately 45 minutes south of Anchorage but the weather in the Portage Valley is unpredictable and often nothing like the weather in the Anchorage Bowl. The last three times, we left our house on sunny days only to arrive at the trail head to gale force winds and pounding rain.

Saturday, we finally had a clear, cool, beautiful day to get in a short but icy hike (approx 1.5 miles) and then some climbing on the glacier. The ice is kind of crumbly and crap for serious climbing right now due to the constant freeze/thaw cycle we've been in all winter but it was good enough for some "bouldering". The sun doesn't really shine down in the valley where the glacier moraine is located, so the pics are all in low light and not really that great. It was still worth it, even with a hacking cough and chest congestion. ;)

Now that is some serious snow.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Drybones wrote:

That' what my PT guy said. Movement is the key to 100% return.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • A little late, but I had phone issues the past few days and had to actually take pictures with an actual "camera"!! Crazy right? But then I couldn't find the cable to transfer the pictures to my computer so I can post them..
      Anyway...I hiked Balsam Mountain in the Catskills yesterday. Balsam is one of the 3500' peaks in the Catskills with an elevation of 3600'. I got a late start and arrived at the trail head around 11am. It was a loop hike with a total mileage of about 5.5 miles. The view at the top was nice! It was quiet and I was the only one out there. The weather was weird , hovered around 30 degrees but it was sunny. At the peak there was no word but as I climbed and descended there were parts of the trail where the wind whipped like crazy!
      Tomorrow I will be hiking the Schunemunk Mountain Ridge trail here in Orange County. Its about a 7 mile loop and holds the distinction of being the highest mountain in Orange County NY. A whopping elevation of 1664'
      Images
      • DSC06798.JPG

156.35 kB, 640×480, viewed 118 times
      • DSC06806.jpg

145.85 kB, 450×600, viewed 112 times
      • DSC06808.JPG

193 kB, 640×480, viewed 106 times
      • DSC06809.jpg

165.02 kB, 450×600, viewed 108 times
      • DSC06816.JPG

94.06 kB, 640×480, viewed 101 times
      • DSC06817.JPG

102.57 kB, 640×480, viewed 109 times
      • DSC06818.JPG

82.7 kB, 640×480, viewed 109 times
      • DSC06820.JPG

78.2 kB, 640×480, viewed 109 times
      • DSC06823.JPG

200.03 kB, 640×480, viewed 109 times
      • DSC06829.JPG

182.05 kB, 640×480, viewed 104 times
      • DSC06830.JPG

154.57 kB, 640×480, viewed 121 times
      • DSC06832.JPG

187.59 kB, 640×480, viewed 107 times
      RIAP
    • i did the 5 mile loop at kennesaw mountain yesterday. this loop allows horses. i came up on a lady on a horse; and the horse was afraid to cross the bridge. he'd walk up to it and stop, and then back up. the lady would make contact with the horse with her legs ("kick" is too strong a word to use) and use her whip and the horse would walk back up to the bridge and then start backing up again. this went on for 5 minutes (plus however long before i got there). i decided i would wait no longer and started hiking and was just about to call out to the lady when the horse got over whatever he was afraid of and crossed the bridge.
      2,000 miler