Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Being it was a beautiful day today and in the 60's here in NY, I took full advantage of it and headed up to the Catskills to tackle Peekamoose and Table Mtns. Peekamoose and Table are both Catskill Mountains over 3500 that are required you climb to become a member of the Catskill 3500 club. Peekamoose has an elevation of 3843' and Table is 3847. This was and out and back hike with a total mileage of 9.1 miles. Surprisingly there weren't many people on the trail today.
      Images
      • IMG_7527.JPG

319.92 kB, 800×600, viewed 239 times
      • IMG_7532.JPG

306.03 kB, 800×600, viewed 233 times
      • IMG_7539.JPG

230.54 kB, 800×600, viewed 229 times
      • IMG_7546.JPG

238.57 kB, 800×600, viewed 235 times
      • IMG_7550.JPG

203.16 kB, 800×600, viewed 232 times
      • IMG_7557.JPG

122.23 kB, 800×600, viewed 238 times
      • IMG_7569.JPG

103.65 kB, 800×600, viewed 224 times
      • IMG_7573.JPG

124.79 kB, 800×600, viewed 250 times
      • IMG_7647.JPG

86.14 kB, 600×600, viewed 238 times
      • IMG_7601.JPG

111.79 kB, 800×600, viewed 245 times
      • IMG_7619.JPG

222.87 kB, 800×600, viewed 232 times
      RIAP
    • Took another walk today....This time a short local one along the AT from 17A to the Wildcat Shelter. This hike has become my "go to hike" when I just want to get out there. Its fairly flat with 2 scrambles over some rocky whale backs and the Cat Rocks. Not a person on the trail. 5 miles out and back in 2 hours.
      Images
      • IMG_7678.JPG

93.62 kB, 600×600, viewed 239 times
      • IMG_7656.JPG

119.58 kB, 800×600, viewed 239 times
      • IMG_7666.JPG

313.63 kB, 800×600, viewed 226 times
      • IMG_7671.JPG

97.77 kB, 800×600, viewed 222 times
      • IMG_7663.jpg

135.06 kB, 449×600, viewed 232 times
      • IMG_7668.jpg

170.95 kB, 449×600, viewed 241 times
      • IMG_7676.JPG

143.76 kB, 800×600, viewed 236 times
      RIAP

The post was edited 1 time, last by A.T.Lt ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

In an April trip, when Ov and I walked by that pond/puddle, 10000 frog were peeping! I took a vid of it just for the audio!
      I have a video of those same peepers from this past April!!
      I want to see it. Do you have a YouTube acct?
      Of course after posting this I went looking for it...and I can't find it! I think it may have been on my old phone!:(
      I'll keep looking !! They were soo loud!
      RIAP
    • Apart from my own little forest, my go to hike is a short section of the Bib to William Bay hut and back.
      Has a steep climb of a few hundred feet but includes this view.
      Images
      • 20151206_165001.jpg

90.69 kB, 800×450, viewed 228 times
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Another Sunday peak-bag with my pal Julie H. This time it was Mt. Passaconaway via Dicey Mill trail. 4.6 miles and 2950 feet of vertical from trailhead to summit. Hardly any snow in the mountains yet, just a few tiny patches up near the summit (4043'). This is a pleasant, nicely graded, and beautifully engineered trail for the most part but as with most White Mountains trails it has a few short steep sections and one or two WTF moments.
      Images
      • _DSC3943.jpg

134.3 kB, 400×600, viewed 226 times
      • _DSC3955.jpg

148.69 kB, 800×533, viewed 213 times
      • _DSC3964.jpg

65.82 kB, 800×533, viewed 205 times
      • _DSC3984.jpg

244.57 kB, 800×533, viewed 193 times
      • _DSC3989.jpg

125.08 kB, 800×533, viewed 210 times
    • IMScotty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Just took this bit of video.

Thanks for the tour, looks like a lovely property. Have you considered some 'controlled burns' to cut down on the brush?
      Definitely.
      I made the trail with a rake and many bonfires. A very small bit with chainsaw.
      I am no longer allowed to burn until April. We have a very long fire season.
      The trails are a two year plan. On top of what I have done (that video only shows about a 1/4 if that) I will be making about another 400 or 500 yards of trail over next 6 months.
      Once fire ban ends I will burn most of the forest in sections over the 6 months of burning season. After that will be the planting and relocation of undergrowth to give the trail "walls". After that will be maintenance clearing of debris. One of my bonfire spots will be neatened up and made a permanent firepit.
      We (IM and I) have a corner in the forest where the longterm plan is to build our own 3 sided shelter.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I did what any self-respecting hiker would do and said forget the housework, I'm going hiking. :)
      Well, sort of. I rushed around and did enough chores that I wouldn't feel guilty then drove to Frozen Head SP.

I hiked South Old Mac trail up to the lookout tower and back. It was really cool. I can't believe I climbed the tower but wanted the reward for the hike up there. There were lots of trickling streams across the trail, large boulders, and a neat campsite with cool fireplace.

The park locks the gates at 5:15 and hikers are supposed to be off trail at 4:15 which sort of stinks. The hike took me about 4 hrs...6.8 mi with a little side trip.
      Images
      • image.jpeg

198.06 kB, 800×600, viewed 175 times
      • image.jpeg

228.06 kB, 800×600, viewed 188 times
      • image.jpeg

144.63 kB, 800×600, viewed 190 times
      • image.jpeg

81.19 kB, 800×600, viewed 186 times
      • image.jpeg

236.74 kB, 800×600, viewed 174 times
      • image.jpeg

231.2 kB, 800×600, viewed 180 times
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Traffic Jam ().

• The park locks the gates at 5:15 and hikers are supposed to be off trail at 4:15 which sort of stinks.

But right about now, it's pitch black by 4:45, and without headlight you'd want to be off the trail by 4:15 just so you can see where you're going. Just isn't much daylight to be had. But take heart, it starts getting better again real soon!
    • rafe wrote:

The park locks the gates at 5:15 and hikers are supposed to be off trail at 4:15 which sort of stinks.

But right about now, it's pitch black by 4:45, and without headlight you'd want to be off the trail by 4:15 just so you can see where you're going. Just isn't much daylight to be had. But take heart, it starts getting better again real soon!
      In about 5 more days. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • rafe wrote:

The park locks the gates at 5:15 and hikers are supposed to be off trail at 4:15 which sort of stinks.

I felt pressured to get back to the parking lot so I was moving too fast and tripped and fell. :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I did what any self-respecting hiker would do and said forget the housework, I'm going hiking. :)
      Well, sort of. I rushed around and did enough chores that I wouldn't feel guilty then drove to Frozen Head SP.

I hiked South Old Mac trail up to the lookout tower and back. It was really cool. I can't believe I climbed the tower but wanted the reward for the hike up there. There were lots of trickling streams across the trail, large boulders, and a neat campsite with cool fireplace.

The park locks the gates at 5:15 and hikers are supposed to be off trail at 4:15 which sort of stinks. The hike took me about 4 hrs...6.8 mi with a little side trip.
      Wonder how Mr's Farmer, Hall, and Hatcher lost their lives? I always think this when encountering such plaques.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • OzJacko wrote:

Just took this bit of video.

great video. Your accent reminded me of a couple of Aussies I had the privilege of working with. We accomplished a somewhat incredible feat which will remain non-described.

Here's a trail landscaping tip. Plant a couple varieties of native berry producers alongside the trail. Therefore future hikers can enjoy an unplanned refreshment. I've done this with strawberries and blackberries on several trails with good results.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I did what any self-respecting hiker would do and said forget the housework, I'm going hiking. :)

Wonder how Mr's Farmer, Hall, and Hatcher lost their lives? I always think this when encountering such plaques.
      Me too. I took the picture so I can remember their names and try to find out.
    • Does wandering around a city playing tourist fit this thread? Took a walk around Paris yestreday.

Of course the first stop had to be at the nearest caserne de pompiers.

And they have this giant cell phone tower here. Apparently it's a pretty big deal. Bunches of people waiting in line to ride elevators to the top.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

Does wandering around a city playing tourist fit this thread? Took a walk around Paris yestreday.

And they have this giant cell phone tower here. Apparently it's a pretty big deal. Bunches of people waiting in line to ride elevators to the top.

What did you do to your wrist?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • so I took a short hike today on the AT. Reids gap to Maupin field shelter. It was on the chilly side right at 32 and windy. But its all uphill from the gap igot warm quick. The redo on the pack worked out great. I set up my tarp just for practice. Lunch was 4 cheese mashed potatoes with chicken tvp and little bourbon- hey its five o'clock somewhere and it was cold. I picked up trash at the campsite and shelter and at another campsite. I'll put up some pics later but im having my after hike beer and burger now.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Grinder wrote:

Does wandering around a city playing tourist fit this thread? Took a walk around Paris yestreday.

Is that a squirrel dropping on you from the cell tower?
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Is that a squirrel dropping on you from the cell tower?
      No, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Superman.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General