Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Took a walk today. Blackhead Mountain in the Catskills, 3960'. (Now I don't have to do any more winter ascents for my 3500 Club badge, yeah! Just seven summits to go.)

At least I think it was a walk. It wasn't really long enough to call it a 'hike' - 2.5-3 miles in, the same out. But it had about 1900 feet of elevation gain. I brought all the gear needed for an overnight bivy on a Northeast 4k in winter, because I remember how a couple of years ago, two hikers died of hypothermia on that mountain for no better reason than that one guy turned an ankle, the other went to get help, the temperature dropped, and neither had adequate shelter. I also brought microspikes, poles, ascent snowshoes, full crampons, and ice axe. I used everything but the microspikes. I think it's just about the heaviest pack I ever carried for a day trip.

I couldn't quite call it climbing, either, because we didn't need to rope up. But I don't think that "it's just walkin'" quite covers it.

Winter ascent uses a totally different set of muscles from ordinary hiking. On the approach trail on the way out, I wound up falling over when I got a leg cramp so bad I couldn't put weight on it, and spent about ten minutes just writhing in the snow trying to stretch it out. (Dear spelling checker: I meant 'writhing'. Please don't suggest 'writing'. I did that when my bladder got full. :) ) I also got my first heel blister in many years. (Memo to self: When using newspaper bags as a vapor barrier between your liners and socks, don't forget the rubber bands to hold them up so they don't bunch!) To add injury to insult, I lacerated a shin by tripping over a posthole and falling onto sharp rock. (Please, please, don't posthole - see below.) And now I can hardly walk. Well, if you don't come back with your arse kicked once in a while, you aren't having enough fun.

My longsuffering hiking partners wanted to try for three peaks (and we'd done probably 70% of the work, since getting up on the ridge is a big part of it). But I knew at the summit of the first that I couldn't take it, and they were disappointed but accommodating. As it was, we were just running out of twilight when we got back to the trailhead. I was hobbling slowly.

I got to shout some phrases that I hadn't used in many years: "Clear chute!" "Ready to glissade!" "Glissade away!" "En glissade!" I even showed that I remembered some technique. At the bottom of the chute (400 feet or so of descent in a quarter mile, got to work up some speed! :D) I didn't heel-brake the way my partners had, but rolled to one side, self-arrested with ice axe, and stopped right next to where they were sitting. Jon, the trip leader, had been instructing Chris (who was on his first winter ascent) in self-arrest, and simply said, "Like that, Chris!" After nearly forty years of nearly no practice, it made me feel proud.

I didn't do much photography at all, because I was tail-end Charlie (well, tail-end Kevin, I suppose) the whole way and didn't want to slow things down even more by fussing with a camera. Jon the trip leader did rather more. Once he sends them to me, I'll post some and blog a trip report. In any case, there were no views. The mountain was socked in by snow and cloud the whole time we were up there.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • We just got home from a day in Harriman State Park.
      Parked at the DEC lot at the north end of Tuxedo and had a 1/4 mile road walk to the trailhead in the park.
      Started walking north at 11AM on the Ramapo-Dunderberg trail to the top of Parker Cabin Mountain.
      Along the way, up on top of a ridge, we stopped for a lunch break. After a delicious PBJ sandwich and a cup-o-soup the warm weather and sun lulled us into a short nap. We continued to Parker Cabin Mnt. and found the yellow triangle trail.
      We took that south, back to where we started from. Then it was the road walk back to the car.
      It was the perfect day to walk off the stress and strain from the holiday, plus the 2 giant feasts that I attended on Christmas.
      Then on the drive home we made a quick stop at Campmor. Wandered through the whole store and felt good because there wasn't anything I needed or wanted. Then drove home in traffic that wasn't too bad.
    • LIhikers wrote:

We just got home from a day in Harriman State Park.
      Parked at the DEC lot at the north end of Tuxedo and had a 1/4 mile road walk to the trailhead in the park.
      Started walking north at 11AM on the Ramapo-Dunderberg trail to the top of Parker Cabin Mountain.
      Along the way, up on top of a ridge, we stopped for a lunch break. After a delicious PBJ sandwich and a cup-o-soup the warm weather and sun lulled us into a short nap. We continued to Parker Cabin Mnt. and found the yellow triangle trail.
      We took that south, back to where we started from. Then it was the road walk back to the car.
      It was the perfect day to walk off the stress and strain from the holiday, plus the 2 giant feasts that I attended on Christmas.
      Then on the drive home we made a quick stop at Campmor. Wandered through the whole store and felt good because there wasn't anything I needed or wanted. Then drove home in traffic that wasn't too bad.

its a fun area.did you pass claudius smiths den?
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

No, that would have been east of where we walked today.
      We went mostly north and south and that old criminal's hide-out was east of where we entered the park.
    • LIhikers wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

No, that would have been east of where we walked today.
      We went mostly north and south and that old criminal's hide-out was east of where we entered the park.

i like that area, ive done quite a few loops out of tuxedo. i also like using reeve meadow visitor centor as a base for loops in the southern half.
      its all good
    • I got started on my new year's resolution.
      Kathy, me, and our dog Tora spent Friday night in Harriman State Park.
      Hiked north on the Long Path.
      WE camped in a very nice field just a little north of the Stockbride shelter.
      As evidenced by the numerous fire rings it is definitely an established camping area.
      It snowed quite heavily Saturday afternoon while we hiked out from the William Brien shelter where we stopped for lunch.
      The snow made the park look quite beautiful.

My new year's resolution was to spend more nights in the tent during 2015 than in 2014. I'm started on my way :thumbsup:
    • LIhikers wrote:

I got started on my new year's resolution.
      As evidenced by the numerous fire rings it is definitely an established camping area.
      It snowed quite heavily Saturday afternoon while we hiked out from the William Brien shelter where we stopped for lunch.

My new year's resolution was to spend more nights in the tent during 2015 than in 2014. I'm started on my way :thumbsup:

ive camped there. nice spot. i also watched meteors, sleeping on top of the shelter one august night many years ago
      its all good
    • LIhikers wrote:

Good for you guys, that's awesome!

I was thinking that I would get out and at least walk everyday starting on Jan 1 but that hasn't happened yet due to this miserable cold that I came down with last Saturday. I'm on day 9 now and starting, just a little, to feel like maybe I could get out this afternoon for a short walk. Fingers crossed.
    • Trillium wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I was thinking that I would get out and at least walk everyday starting on Jan 1 but that hasn't happened yet due to this miserable cold that I came down with last Saturday. I'm on day 9 now and starting, just a little, to feel like maybe I could get out this afternoon for a short walk. Fingers crossed.

I dislike that you are sick. The flu has been terrible here.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Yea got out today, got my butt handed to me. did a five mile around the Ridley Creek State Park with some invited friends. little sore - We did the loop in a hour and a half, which is a 4.5 and added a tail out to 352 where we park brings it to a 5...

Frustrated though I worry about my dogs feet and some jack ass keep breaking beer glass on the trail at the parking lot. I have cleaned it up many times. Guess I am going to purchase and strap the deer camera on a nearby tree.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Finally got out for a six mile walk in a sweet little town preserve called tyler mill in wallingford ct. Best part was talking myself into fording a mid calf deep stream. Ah, the satisfaction one gets from doing something stupid and then telling your buddies about it.
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!
    • 1azarus wrote:

Finally got out for a six mile walk in a sweet little town preserve called tyler mill in wallingford ct. Best part was talking myself into fording a mid calf deep stream. Ah, the satisfaction one gets from doing something stupid and then telling your buddies about it.

Another few inches deeper might have been a different story.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Took a walk with the girl today. We hiked an easy trail in the Smokies and had a great time together. She didn't want to do a lot of miles so when the trail crossed the road, we planned to road walk back to the car. We stopped for lunch after a mile and she took a nap in the sun while I knitted. After sitting for a while, we got cold so we continued down the trail and saw some interesting boar traps. We reached the road and caught a ride back to the car with some hikers on their way home. The girl was excited about her first, hitch hiking experience, even though we didn't stick our thumbs out...they just stopped. I think we walked about 6 miles.
      Images
      • image.jpg

200.35 kB, 800×543, viewed 244 times
      • image.jpg

190.71 kB, 800×600, viewed 262 times
      • image.jpg

263.33 kB, 800×600, viewed 246 times
      • image.jpg

170.74 kB, 800×600, viewed 249 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Tuesday was a gorgeous day, low to mid 40's, so I hiked Cucumber Gap Trail in the Smokies...8.2 mi. It was good to stretch my legs.
      Images
      • image.jpg

209.1 kB, 600×600, viewed 339 times
      • image.jpg

203.47 kB, 600×600, viewed 226 times
      • image.jpg

200.03 kB, 800×600, viewed 222 times
    • Me, my wife Kathy, and our hikin dog Tora put in a few miles today in a local county park that encompasses the highest point of Long Island, Jaynes Hill which is a whopping 410 feet above sea level. We took our snow shoes but all of the trails have been well trodden and packed down by both horses and people. To put our snow shoes to work we left the trails and did some bush whacking. I don't really like going off trail in a place that I know is crowded because I don't want to be the cause of the start of a new "social" trail. The sky was clear blue, the wind moderate, and the temperature in the teens, in short, a perfect day for a short walk.
    • Can you call it a walk if your feet don't touch the ground?
      We snow shoed for 3 hours in the David Sarnoff preserve, it's on the east end of Long Island.
      Not as far east as where the rich and famous hang out, but near where the north and south forks of the island split.
      We bailed out sooner than planned because our dog started throwing up. When you hike with a pet their needs have to come first.
    • I took a 3.5 mile walk between 11 AM and 1 PM, looping around the Dragon's Tooth trail, the AT, and the scout trail. The trail had dry stretches, mud, snow, slush, packed snow, and very little ice. I wore my North Face shoes, no traction devices. I carried a 1 liter bottle of kiwi strawberry flavored water. I saw nobody until the last half mile, when I saw about half a dozen hikers.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • My new place has about 4 or 5 acres of tall timber. You can see it to the right of the house. In the closeup you can see how wild it is.
      The plan is to slash a meandering network of trail through it so that you can walk about a mile of trail without leaving the property.
      Images
      • 20150215_103530.jpg

213.56 kB, 800×450, viewed 158 times
      • 20150215_095834.jpg

138.5 kB, 800×450, viewed 163 times
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Trillium wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I was reading back through these and saw someone disliked this post. I thought, who would dislike this? It was me... oops, I probably pushed the dislike button by accident. Sorry Trillium. :)

Now I see what I did... I disliked that you were sick. Hope you're feeling better.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• We took a 6 mile walk today in the pouring rain at a local county park. The trails were a combination of slush on top of ice, ice, mud, and puddles so deep they spilled into my Vasque boots over the top. The temperature was just right so that while walking we were just warm enough, but when we stopped at one of the AT like shelters, for a drink of water and a snack, we got chilly. I was glad to get out even if I was soaked by the end. On a positive note we did see some deer in the woods and ducks and geese on the lake. And best of all we didn't see any people, they were all smart enough to stay home and out of the rain.
    • I did Bull Gap to Porter's Gap on the Pinhoti with a bunch of young folks and few of us old farts, 18 miles total, camped at the fire tower, had a great meal and great company. Had a cute young girl who was on her first over night hike, I believe she'll make a hiker,she opened a can of those large sardines I wouldn't eat, drank the juice off and then ate the fish...I do believe she liked the extra veggies I grilled better tho.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.