Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• rhjanes wrote:

Our 2023/24 Orienteering season opened on Saturday September 23 at Fort Worth's Gateway city park. We had a Score-O event (mass start, find what you can within your chosen time limit and return on time). There was a Heat Advisory in North Texas. My buddy and I did OK for the first hour, finding one control that was miss placed (about 30 meters off, NOT at the "Western Fence End"). Two very nice high school men decided to orienteer with us and we figured Strength in Number on the sweltering day. We were all really struggling with the elevations, sun exposure and HEAT by 11:30 AM (we were on the three hour course after the mass start at 10). It was already in the 90's by then. But we were across one of only two river crossings and half way around that so just keep going in the remote part of the park. My buddy had to take a knee several times. He'd not carried enough water and I was almost empty on my 1.5 liters. I think the youth were also out as they asked a few times where the closest water stop would be (a long way....north end of the park at a road) We'd stop and my world would spin. A few times it seemed dim even. We got in a snails pace and once we were out on a trail that went to a road, I told the youth about water ahead. They politely asked if we'd be OK and if they could head back as the couch would be concerned. SURE head back. When we reached that trailhead with water, another youth was being assisted into a car by his friends. I check my phone weather and found it was 96 with a THI of 103. We took an hour to just walk back. I lost my GPS track but took some 16,000 steps and 7 stories of elevation change on the part that did record (less than half). Once we were back we heard of the casualty lists. At least three kids barfing from heat illnesses at the finish / HQ area. ONE other youth transported by ambulance. Several very excellent orienteer's that I always loose to, had quit the event and were sitting in their vehicles with the AC on HIGH, and sucking cool water while trying not to barf. We did the same for about 30 minutes just to begin to recover. Given the heat and casualty list, I wound up with a first place in the Male, Long course an Old-Farts division.
      Congratulations on your 1st place finish! :thumbup:

Interesting way for y'all to spend the "first day of Fall". ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Our 2023/24 Orienteering season opened on Saturday September 23 at Fort Worth's Gateway city park. We had a Score-O event (mass start, find what you can within your chosen time limit and return on time). There was a Heat Advisory in North Texas. My buddy and I did OK for the first hour, finding one control that was miss placed (about 30 meters off, NOT at the "Western Fence End"). Two very nice high school men decided to orienteer with us and we figured Strength in Number on the sweltering day. We were all really struggling with the elevations, sun exposure and HEAT by 11:30 AM (we were on the three hour course after the mass start at 10). It was already in the 90's by then. But we were across one of only two river crossings and half way around that so just keep going in the remote part of the park. My buddy had to take a knee several times. He'd not carried enough water and I was almost empty on my 1.5 liters. I think the youth were also out as they asked a few times where the closest water stop would be (a long way....north end of the park at a road) We'd stop and my world would spin. A few times it seemed dim even. We got in a snails pace and once we were out on a trail that went to a road, I told the youth about water ahead. They politely asked if we'd be OK and if they could head back as the couch would be concerned. SURE head back. When we reached that trailhead with water, another youth was being assisted into a car by his friends. I check my phone weather and found it was 96 with a THI of 103. We took an hour to just walk back. I lost my GPS track but took some 16,000 steps and 7 stories of elevation change on the part that did record (less than half). Once we were back we heard of the casualty lists. At least three kids barfing from heat illnesses at the finish / HQ area. ONE other youth transported by ambulance. Several very excellent orienteer's that I always loose to, had quit the event and were sitting in their vehicles with the AC on HIGH, and sucking cool water while trying not to barf. We did the same for about 30 minutes just to begin to recover. Given the heat and casualty list, I wound up with a first place in the Male, Long course and Old-Farts division.
      wow, sounds like the event should have been canceled.
      There have been a number of emails among the club about delaying next years event a week or two, or day-of-meet changes including shortening the time. It was hot but by noon, it was getting oppressive and dangerous.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Yesterday Kathy and I took a little walk. First we took a train into New York City mostly because we wanted to see where they moved the Amtrak station to. While we were there we bought the tickets that will take us to Pittsburgh for the start of our fall hike. Then we went outside to walk the High Line Park. The park was created on the roadbed of an elevated freight railroad that ran from 1934 until 1980. Now it's gardens and walkways and birds and bees and lots and lots of people. I think I heard evry language of the world during our stroll. Very nicely done for a park in Manhattan. Once we reached the southern end we went down to the street and decided to walk south to Battery Park, the southern tip of Manhattan were you can get a good view of the statue of Liberty. We didn't get there because Kathy decided she wanted to eat lunch instead. So we walked a few blocks west to the Hudson River Park, found a place to sit down in the shade and ate and drank the things we had brought with us. After a relaxing meal we set off walking north through this park. It's a narrow, linear park that has bicycle lanes, walking path, sandy beach, a small island built in the Hudson, and more. When the park ended we continued north to 30th street. There we walked east and back to the train station for the ride back to our town. Between walking from our house to and from the local train station and walking around in NYC I'm going to guesstimate that we walked 8-9 miles. Usually I don't like to go to NYC because of the crowds, camotion, and noise, but I really enjoyed this trip. Maybe because we didn't have any kind of schedule to keep.
    • Nice trip report LIHikers,

I also thought the High Line Park was a great addition to NYC. After walking the park my wife and I enjoyed a visit to the Whitney Museum which sits at the end.

Sound like you visited that new 'Little Island Park' that billionaire built? I have not been there yet. Next trip.

Scott
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Nice trip report LIHikers,

I also thought the High Line Park was a great addition to NYC. After walking the park my wife and I enjoyed a visit to the Whitney Museum which sits at the end.

Sound like you visited that new 'Little Island Park' that billionaire built? I have not been there yet. Next trip.

Scott
      The Little Island isn't worth going out of your way to visit. We were there anyway, so we did. It's nice for a city park but you've walked in nicer places.
    • Pine Mountain, Gorham, NH

Looking towards Pinkham Notch

Gorham overlook

'The Chapel'

This has been a very wet summer, and a fairly warm fall. The result has been a fall foliage season that is fairly subdued. Still beautiful, though.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • My co-workers and I finished up our business in Longmont Colorado early, so we detoured through Boulder on our way back to the Denver Airport.

Drove up Sunshine Canyon Road to the Bald Mountain Scenic Area and an easy 1-mile loop to the 7000-foot summit. Beautiful views of the Rockies followed by a killer lunch at Avery Brewing. All on the company's dime.

Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Took a beach walk today...
      First one before dawn. It was still pretty dark out so a slow shutter speed.

Then a walk in the afternoon. The Boston skyline from the Nahant causeway.

The last beach rose of summer.

Egg Rock, Little Nahant and a Friend

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • odd man out wrote:

We did a short loop around Thorne Swift Naure Preserve near Harbor Springs MI.

They have awesome boardwalks over lakeshore wetlands. Whoever built these knew what they were doing. eventually you come out by the beach. Then the trail follows a bluff above the beach to a lookout platform above the lake before winding its way through the woods back to the parking lot. This a lively little park.

appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…6dd88358b24ff69ac638f4f07

Interesting that there are 4 jpg's, but only 1 image. ?(
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • We did a short loop around Thorne Swift Naure Preserve near Harbor Springs MI.

They have awesome boardwalks over lakeshore wetlands. Whoever built these knew what they were doing. eventually you come out by the beach. Then the trail follows a bluff above the beach to a lookout platform above the lake before winding its way through the woods back to the parking lot. This a lively little park.

• I went on a wonderful hike with the girlies last week, they are great hikers! They were particularly interested in a hole in the ground. :)

It was rainy but we’re not afraid of rain. The fall colors were gorgeous…my pics don’t do it justice.

(Middle creek wildlife management area in PA. In February, it’s a great place to go to see snow geese.)
      Images
      • IMG_5786.jpeg

271.63 kB, 498×600, viewed 43 times
      • IMG_5795.jpeg

214.08 kB, 425×600, viewed 43 times
      • IMG_5790.jpeg

200.23 kB, 800×600, viewed 37 times
      • IMG_5782.jpeg

187.87 kB, 800×600, viewed 42 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Last week I was lucky to get in two hikes out in Arizona. The first hike was Gateway Loop in the McDowell-Sonoran Preserve, near Scottsdale. It's a moderate 4.5 mile loop around McDowell and Drinkwater Peaks, with about 700+ feet of elevation gain (and loss). Mrs. Time Zone and an old hiking friend joined the fun. It was fairly rocky and, being desert, very dry and exposed.

The next morning I went to do Camelback. I had previously been to the top via the Echo Canyon Trail, and this time I thought I would try the other way - the Cholla Trail. The two paths are very similar in distance and elevation gain. But (IIRC) until you get to the top, on the Echo Canyon side you're not really close to edges or exposed all that much. There's some light scrambling but they tend to be in rock washes, where the terrain might rise a bit to either side of you. On the Cholla Trail, you are more exposed, and the last third of a mile or so is on a spine, where the terrain falls away from you - quite steeply in some areas. That section is also very steep, I'd guess about a 25% grade, and I read that it's rated as "Class 2" scrambling. Last year I watched YT video of it, laughed in disbelief, and declared, NFW! (No way). But a year goes by and I'm getting hungry for challenges. I decide I'll try it, and if it seems to be too much, I'll turn around. No one I know will be with me, so no one will egg me on, nor will I push myself to save face, if it's too much for me.

Well, I get up the first 1.2 miles in about 30 minutes (@ est. 15% grade) and get to what looks like a helipad area (there's also one on the Echo Canyon side, but much further down, so I'm not sure - it was a big round flat area at a saddle). Beyond that the scrambling started, and almost immediately I see a sheer dropoff to my left. It's not nearly as bad to my right, but that's small comfort. I head down to the helipad and think. I come to realize a few things. One is that I'm tired. I haven't slept well out there my first 2 nights, about 4-5 hrs each. My legs are a bit tired from the ascent and the prior day's hike. Mentally, I don't feel fully sharp, including elements related to proprioception. I look again, think some more, and decide that "today is just not my day. Maybe I could try it again, if I'm well-rested and haven't hiked the prior day. But not today." So I head back down. Now, if I had never been to the top, I'm not sure I'd have turned back. But having been there before, from the other trail, made it much easier to decide to turn around. I wasn't missing anything I hadn't seen before - except that last 0.3 mile scramble on a spine to the top.

The elevation profile on the Echo Canyon side looks a lot like this one.
      The trail opens at sunrise.
      A friend suggested to me that this Saguaro was giving me the finger. A harbinger of things to come.
      On the ascent - no green tunnels here!
      First view at the saddle
      At the saddle; is it a helipad?
      Looking up at the last 0.3 mi to the top.The sheer dropoff was to the left of the blue marker in the foreground.
      Another view of the final (or penultimate?) Cholla ascent, from marker 26 just past the saddle.
      On the descent. The foreground is about 2 persons wide, the background, about 1. Some mild acrophobia began to kick in here.
      Another steep dropoff during the descent. Not straight down though - you probably could grab a cactus and arrest your fall!
      Images
      • 4 Early Ascent 1.JPG

206.91 kB, 799×600, viewed 39 times
    • Did a challenging hike today at Frozen Head SP, my hardest since foot surgery. 3+ miles of climbing then had to turn around and descend. Should have been 2.5 but I missed a trail. I was very slow.

Lunch was ham and Swiss with mustard on turmeric walnut sourdough.
      Images
      • IMG_5812.jpeg

405.11 kB, 800×600, viewed 35 times
      • IMG_5817.jpeg

229.73 kB, 800×600, viewed 38 times
    • Time Zone wrote:

Last week I was lucky to get in two hikes out in Arizona. The first hike was Gateway Loop in the McDowell-Sonoran Preserve, near Scottsdale. It's a moderate 4.5 mile loop around McDowell and Drinkwater Peaks, with about 700+ feet of elevation gain (and loss). Mrs. Time Zone and an old hiking friend joined the fun. It was fairly rocky and, being desert, very dry and exposed.

The next morning I went to do Camelback. I had previously been to the top via the Echo Canyon Trail, and this time I thought I would try the other way - the Cholla Trail. The two paths are very similar in distance and elevation gain. But (IIRC) until you get to the top, on the Echo Canyon side you're not really close to edges or exposed all that much. There's some light scrambling but they tend to be in rock washes, where the terrain might rise a bit to either side of you. On the Cholla Trail, you are more exposed, and the last third of a mile or so is on a spine, where the terrain falls away from you - quite steeply in some areas. That section is also very steep, I'd guess about a 25% grade, and I read that it's rated as "Class 2" scrambling. Last year I watched YT video of it, laughed in disbelief, and declared, NFW! (No way). But a year goes by and I'm getting hungry for challenges. I decide I'll try it, and if it seems to be too much, I'll turn around. No one I know will be with me, so no one will egg me on, nor will I push myself to save face, if it's too much for me.

Well, I get up the first 1.2 miles in about 30 minutes (@ est. 15% grade) and get to what looks like a helipad area (there's also one on the Echo Canyon side, but much further down, so I'm not sure - it was a big round flat area at a saddle). Beyond that the scrambling started, and almost immediately I see a sheer dropoff to my left. It's not nearly as bad to my right, but that's small comfort. I head down to the helipad and think. I come to realize a few things. One is that I'm tired. I haven't slept well out there my first 2 nights, about 4-5 hrs each. My legs are a bit tired from the ascent and the prior day's hike. Mentally, I don't feel fully sharp, including elements related to proprioception. I look again, think some more, and decide that "today is just not my day. Maybe I could try it again, if I'm well-rested and haven't hiked the prior day. But not today." So I head back down. Now, if I had never been to the top, I'm not sure I'd have turned back. But having been there before, from the other trail, made it much easier to decide to turn around. I wasn't missing anything I hadn't seen before - except that last 0.3 mile scramble on a spine to the top.
      Cool report TZ, you did great!

One of my most favorite horoscopes that I read the day after a very difficult hike and perceived, failed hiking attempt…“Knowing when to stop is just as important as knowing when to begin.”

Smart people know when it’s time to stop.

(I really don’t believe in astrology, it’s just amusing.)
    • IMScotty wrote:

Glad to hear your foot is getting better TJ
      And that sandwich looks delish!
      It’s still not 100%. I get pain in the mid foot from the hardware so compensate by not walking correctly then get pain in my hip and groin. But overall it’s better and I love that my shoes fit. I’m definitely ready for some short hikes with a backpack!
    • Took a quick twilight hike on the Bearwallow Mountain Trail in Gerton NC today. Mrs. Tortoise caught up to me after the majority of the climb was done and was ready to turn back.. We didn't get the mountain top view but did see a nice sunset back at the parking area.

Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Lots of walks and hikes with these two girls the past week. We had so much fun! And carrying a toddler piggy back up steep hills is great training for backpacking.

I’m back home now and had a good walk today on some local trails. It was chilly, 36*, but my clothing choice was perfect.

Since my Nov 6th hike, my foot has felt really good. It hurt on that hike and I wonder if it was scar tissue getting stretched and broken down…I was starting to worry that it was as good as it was going to get.
      Images
      • IMG_5908.jpeg

260.29 kB, 480×600, viewed 31 times
      • IMG_5904.jpeg

228.88 kB, 450×600, viewed 36 times
    • Yesterday was a great day for a hike; 64 degrees. (Well, until I finished and discovered I locked my keys in the car. Luckily I was at Kennesaw Mountain which is only 1.5 miles from home.)

Today not so much; 60 degrees but raining all day.

I did earn another Fitbit badge yesterday. The Earth badge. I have now walked 7,900 miles through the earth to the other side somewhere in China I suppose. Looking forward to earning the "Hiking the Earths Circumference" badge in a few more years. :)
      2,000 miler
    • Kathy and I drove down to the business district of our town. I'm going to guess we walked around 3ish miles walking up and down streets looking at holiday decorations on the store windows. The weather was nice and everybody on the streets seemed to be in a good mood. As enjoyable as it was it's just the start of my new year resolution to walk every day.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Today's walk I'm estimating to be about 2 miles, through my local residential neighborhood. I guess I really should put some app on my phone to know and keep track of mileage. Tomorrow I may give my bicycle a try, or not.
      IPHONE? Look at the Apple installed App "Health". It will track your steps and climb. It doesn't understand doing stuff at the gym, but walking and running it does.

I also use the AllTrails app, the free side. I don't download any of it's trails I just click to "Navigate" and start walking. I only use it on my Orienteering or long hikes.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I drove down to the business district of our town. I'm going to guess we walked around 3ish miles walking up and down streets looking at holiday decorations on the store windows. The weather was nice and everybody on the streets seemed to be in a good mood. As enjoyable as it was it's just the start of my new year resolution to walk every day.
      So far a perfect first week for me.

During the first year of the pandemic when I was updating my log I noticed that I had walked every day one month. I decided then to see how long I could keep the streak going. I got up to eighty something when I got sick and and that was that.

January is generally cold and rainy here. Weather will get me before the month is over I'm sure.

Good luck.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

This woman is in my N GA Hiking FB group. She was on the TV news today as she is about a week away from walking every day for a year. I made it to 80 something days in 2020 and then got sick. This was filmed about a week ago. Today was day 355. 3 minute video.

fox5atlanta.com/video/1092959?…RCMQbFDgaszexvq3mlixr-J7s
      I posted this inspiring video about 1.5 years ago about a prison chaplin who walked every day for a year. The last post I saw she was up to 551. Now I know why the posts stopped (and probably why she started walking in the first place -- she was about to enter prison. And not as a chaplin.

In case you're interested -- here she posts "The rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say. It suprised me...

My Journey: For weeks I have been trying to put into words how I would tell my group this. The cowards way would be to delete my pages and disappear. I know that by my post you could tell I had a lot going on in my life. For over 6-years, I have been the subject of a federal investigation and indictment on charges that related to cheating in a bible college learning site. When the government comes for you, they have their own narrative and their success rate is about 98 percent—not because you are guilty of what is alleged but because you can’t afford to defend yourself. I fought for 26 months and finally after the best legal counsel and a lot of crying and praying, I acquiesced and pled guilty without a plea agreement (and not wave my rights) so that I could legally appeal the sentence that I knew would be unfair because they grew to hate the motions I filed and my overall defense. Nobody fights the FEDS! On white collar crimes, the federal system sentence according to their said amount of the loss. In this case they said 12 million[IMG:https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/t21/1.5/16/1f440.png][IMG:https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/t21/1.5/16/1f440.png] I never ordered, attempted to order nor received any government money. For what it is worth, I never gave a statement, debriefed, proffered nor testified. I refused to lie to save myself and destroy the lives of people that I served as their leader. I never gave a statement. I fully exercised my right to remain silent. I have a grave distrust for law enforcement and I worked inside the prison system trying to make a difference. Everybody in prison did not do what they are accused of and this would definitely be my case. The indictment was not a complete picture of what happened and I can’t fight the media. I was the leader of this learning site, yet off chasing my dream of prison chaplaincy. Things happened but I never thought to the level of a federal crime. I was always forceful and adamant in my counsel to students about their responsibility to their education commitment. I constantly stressed that the money they received to go to school was not free money. I am grieved that the information out there misrepresents my life’s work and the opportunity that was afforded to people who wouldn’t ordinarily get a college degree. The misrepresentations colors the entire work as fraudulent because it was a small black school out of North Carolina and I was the only female run site. I later found out that none of the 20-sites were not authorized nor approved by the DOE but that is not mentioned in the complaint. This learning site ran out of my home for many years and when it come out, it attracted the wrong people. As a leader, I didn’t think I could decide who God sent so I managed them, loved them and taught them. I will admit to my weak administration of my staff but it was never a day that we thought we were scheming to defraud the government. I fought through my attorney to get the real picture seen but I realized that I am the scape goat. I CRIED OUT TO God— You know the truth!! However, without a pocket full of money and one email is all it takes to tie you to a conspiracy, I plead and now I am scheduled to voluntarily surrender 2/7. For over a year, I shared my life and self-therapy online. My following began to scare me. I was actually encouraging people when I felt I had nothing. I got in shape, made walking a passion and posted everyday hoping God would use this situation differently. I was so ashamed and broken but I kept walking. I needed shoes, y’all sent the money…I kept walking. I cried and kept walking. I did a Fox interview and was scheduled for court the next day……NOTHING STOPPED THE WALK…. I lost job, possessions and had to move….I kept walking. From this group, God provided me a place to live. Now, my oldest brother has stage 4 cancer and not expected to make it and I kept walking. I got inboxes for advice and prayer and kept walking. I am still that same girl. For those who may feel some kinda of way, I will understand. But for those who came to love me while they knew absolutely nothing about me, I need your encouragement and support.
      Forgive me for not telling you this at the beginning. How do you just share this??? I was disappointed and so ashamed but now I am going to fight, go through this and I will be home real soon. I am coming out on the winning side. I am not afraid. So far, the love and support has been so genuine because those who know me, have not let this change the impact that I made on their lives. Those that define me by the headlines either don’t know me nor never knew me. How strange is it for the prison chaplain to go to prison? I have done prison ministry for over 20-years. I have faith and assurance that God is still in control and so as I go through this journey, I will just have to trust God. I used this difficult season to get in shape and write and my book should go to proof before I leave. I solicit your sincere prayers and if you want me to, I will be in touch.
      Sandra Anderson
      I will be there on the 7th
      Sandra Anderson
      FCI Marianna Camp
      Satellite Prison Camp
      PO Box 7006
      Marianna, Florida 32447
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

And here is the Atlanta newspaper story on the sentencing:

ajc.com/news/crime/5-sent-to-p…GKNWLTCBAWHOJLZJ27NJH2IE/
      Wow. That story is... something. Reminds me of the South Harmon Institute of Technology.

• Yesterday I hiked in a park I'd never heard of. I'd seen it mentioned in a FB group so I decided to check it out, and I'm glad I did. It's called Trail View State Park. Turns out it's got some fun trails, not too challenging, and a lot of possible loop variations. It does share some of the trails with mountain bikes, but yesterday I was mostly alone, no hikers and one mountain biker. I'll go back again. I couldn't believe I'd never heard of it before.
      appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…6dd88358b24ff69ac638f4f07appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…6dd88358b24ff69ac638f4f07appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…6dd88358b24ff69ac638f4f07appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…6dd88358b24ff69ac638f4f07appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…6dd88358b24ff69ac638f4f07appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…6dd88358b24ff69ac638f4f07
      its all good