Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My mother-in-law was born in Glencar, Co. Kerry, one of 13 children. Glencar is at the foot of the McGillicuddy Reeks and the family had very poor land. When she was 14 she was taken out of school and and sent out to earn her keep. She got a job as a domestic in the seaside village of Glenbeigh. She told me how she would walk a path between Glenbeigh and Glencar to come home on weekends to see her family. Her home and that path are now part of what is known as the 'Kerry Way.' I have long wanted to retrace her footsteps as a way to commune with her experience, and I was delighted that my wife, one of her sons, and a granddaughter wanted to join me. So here you go, I took a walk today on the Kerry Way...

Kathleen exploring her mother's childhood home on the Kerry Way, Glencar, Co. Kerry. This was our starting point. It was hard to get a measure of the distance traveled, but it was something like 5-6 miles. Not far, but for a 14 year old girl hiking alone over the low mountain pass it must have seemed far. Days are short here in the winter, so I imagine there were times it was done in the dark.

This part of the Kerry Way starts out with some road walking on a single lane country road.

It is all uphill at first. This is looking back towards Glencar.

The spring lambs are so cute I could just eat them up :)
      The landscape as hardly changed since my mother-in-law was a little girl so we really felt the connection with her experience on this walk.

The path diverges here. We felt confident that she took the more direct (but steeper) route through 'The Windy Gap.'

Windy gap lived up to its name; It was cool and windy. As you crest the hill it reveals a delightful view of your destination of Glenbeigh.

My wife walking towards Glenbeigh.

Admiring the view towards Dingle Bay.

Some ruins entering Glenbeigh.

It was a great walk. We had a great time.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Yes OMO, this was just a short section.

The total length is over 120 miles long. It is (mostly) a loop, so you can end up where you started from.
      This is typically done as an inn-to-inn hike. There are companies that will sell you a 'package' with all the lodging and transfers of your luggage arranged so all you have to carry is a day pack.

Expect rain :)

S

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Yes OMO, this was just a short section.

The total length is over 120 miles long. It is (mostly) a loop, so you can end up where you started from.
      This is typically done as an inn-to-inn hike. There are companies that will sell you a 'package' with all the lodging and transfers of your luggage arranged so all you have to carry is a day pack.

Expect rain :)

S
      Sounds like the same arrangements you can make for thru hiking on Hadrian's Wall.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Not sure if this counts as a walk. Went to a park and walked the trail (0.4 miles, up and down 300 steps, round trip) to get to the beach. If you have seen the mivie Road to Perdition, the photo below was taken at the exact spot where To Hanks was shot (Oops, spoiler alert). It couldn't be a better beach day. No clouds, calm wind and surf, 88 deg air and 60's water temp, beach "packed" with 20 people. After some swimming and beach walking, I read some the book I got for Father's Day, Northbound With Theo, an AT hiking book by a 75 year old retired lawyer (trail name SoJo) who thru hiked in 2016 with his Golden Retriever Theo. Afterwards we drove into town to have appetizers and cocktails on the deck with a view of the channel, lake, and lighthouse. We then checked out the art fair on main street with a corn dog.

• OK, I really took this walk a week ago, but here are a few photos of my visit to Skellig Michael. Skellig Michael is an island off the coast of Kerry. Monks built a hermitage on this inaccessible island around 500-600 AD. It takes a bit of luck to get here, and you are only given 1.5 hours to explore before your boat departs. It is one of the most magical places I have ever been.

Skellig Michael: Star Wars fans might recognize this island has Luke Skywalker's secret retreat.

A very tricky boat landing. We were the first boat on the island in over a week. You have to be lucky!

You climb the many stone stairs the monks built to get to the top.

The monk's 'Beehive Cells.'

Graves. Vikings would periodically plunder the island and carry monks away.

'Little Skellig' island is seen in the distance.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • A few views from 15 miles on the Arkansas River Trail today. With temps getting in 90s (heat index 100s) my legs and even arms were like a salt mine. Already over 4 liters of water/propel.
      Images
      • 20220702_090042.jpg

105.51 kB, 800×600, viewed 83 times
      • 20220702_111810.jpg

339.05 kB, 800×600, viewed 88 times
    • Good for her.

'Solvitur ambulando.' It is solved by walking!

She really did lose some weight too.

I also learned that it is not safe to walk around Gary, Indiana. Good to know in case I ever go there.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Good for her.

'Solvitur ambulando.' It is solved by walking!

She really did lose some weight too.

I also learned that it is not safe to walk around Gary, Indiana. Good to know in case I ever go there.
      Gary, IN always makes me think of the Jackson Five and also unfortunately the tragedy of Lyman Bostock.
    • I took a walk today on a local trail and it was awesome…so, so wonderful, just what I needed. The spider webs were gorgeous and iridescent in the sunlight.

It’s been a crazy, busy, wonderful summer but I’m ready to get back to hiking. I miss the peace and solitude, the trip planning, and the sense of accomplishment. I know y’all understand what I’m talking about!!!
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I also get it.

I have a narrow park in my neighborhood that follows a creek. If I stay on the paved path, it is 1.25 miles long and takes me past wildflowers, newly planted saplings, occasional deer and more rabbits than I can count. Even though I walk the same route almost every evening, it still pus a smile on my face. And when it's dry, my dog likes to veer off on a dirt / sand singletrack through the woods directly adjacent to the creek. Even though it is just yards from the paved path, it feels like a more private setting.

In full planning mode for my October hike. With every climb comes a summit.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Walked about 4 miles in the Dallas suburb urban wilderness (if there is such a thing). Growth in this area is crazy but what really boggles my mind is that every house looks the same.

Anyway, I was meandering and found a gravel path that took me to a charming, peaceful pond with gorgeous wildflowers and some ducks. I was probably on private property but oh well. Beauty and peace in the midst of noise and chaos.

I saw these interesting ground webs all over the place. I’ve never seen these before. Anyone know what they are?
      Images
      • 5B19F973-4208-43BC-88A6-8F33AD07C474.jpeg

257.29 kB, 800×600, viewed 71 times
      • E4C1940E-FC39-4CF3-9596-1D4FF86EA021.jpeg

345.31 kB, 800×600, viewed 72 times
      • 88F8ECB8-CC24-401F-A82B-68BE5E12B1AE.jpeg

410.11 kB, 800×600, viewed 67 times
      • A3108972-6415-48C7-AF1A-C197032DBFFB.jpeg

187.28 kB, 600×450, viewed 73 times
    • This morning I started a new (for me) trail, the
      East Lakeshore Trail at Tellico Lake. It’s 31 mi (per Tellicowater. org) and can easily be day hikes, the longest section is 5.1 mi. I’ll do all out and backs.

I had a vague idea where to find my first trailhead and didn’t bother to print any maps or directions (bad hiker!). Neither did I pack any food, only water, and carried my small pack for extra clothes and knitting. I got lucky and found the trailhead pretty easily.

The 6.4 mi hike was part trail running (slow jogging) and walking and was really enjoyable. The weather and views were gorgeous! It’s relatively easy but not flat and I had to stop and catch my breath once or twice.

Around mile 4, I was running and tripped on a root, going down hard on both knees. No major injury but they’re scraped up and bruised.

There’s nothing like hiking therapy!
      Images
      • 9805F125-F17C-495D-960E-6B1EE993C304.jpeg

394.33 kB, 800×600, viewed 62 times
      • 16F0C827-72D1-401D-A7D9-C9DB8AE0ACE3.jpeg

219.45 kB, 800×600, viewed 59 times
      • 96B12F91-9A79-4090-BA4A-93C81FEF67A8.jpeg

414.76 kB, 800×600, viewed 64 times
      • 2E38B4EF-F44C-4EBF-B1C8-279DD9EAC556.jpeg

440.39 kB, 800×600, viewed 61 times
      • A7AA5C47-42C9-4C37-9E02-B81D0D9D7AC0.jpeg

314.41 kB, 800×600, viewed 59 times
      • A52AB3FF-B311-4D4A-8353-6760B49E6533.jpeg

417.68 kB, 800×600, viewed 59 times
    • Scott says... 'October is the best month to have a 'Beach Day.'

At the Plum Island National Wildlife Refuge.
      Most of the summer this beach is closed for the nesting Piping Plovers. Come October, us humans can walk it once again.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Hiked the Clay Cliff Nature Conservancy trail, north of Leland MI. Its an easy 1.5 mile loop through the woods and meadows to a deck overlooking Lake MI from top of a tall bluff.75 deg, sunny. Perfect weekend for a fall color weekend. There had been a big storm on tuesday so there lots of newly downed trees. Found a large number of wild grapes.

• Earlier in the week, I hiked another section of the ELT. It was only 5 miles so I took my time, ate a delicious hot lunch, and enjoyed the scenery. My knees were still hurting so no running for me, I had to be real careful to not fall again.
      Images
      • 914F547E-C4AA-42CC-9C24-99E2ED0D8330.jpeg

284.13 kB, 800×600, viewed 63 times
      • B655EF10-8278-45B2-912E-182C5B65DC93.jpeg

405.43 kB, 800×600, viewed 67 times
      • 719AB6ED-2D58-46C0-8BD8-5BBECCF1D717.jpeg

223.07 kB, 800×600, viewed 62 times
      • 2E23B2A2-52FF-41A7-9E94-0E2DAB2A9615.jpeg

71.56 kB, 464×600, viewed 60 times