Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

• Time Zone and I met for another day hike in Cherokee National Forest and had a great time as usual. We drove up the Cherohala Parkway, parked one car on a bumpy, gravel road near Indian Boundary campground and another one at Eagle Gap parking and hiked 6 miles back to the car. This trail was new to both of us which was very cool.

It was mostly downhill but the trail was overgrown with lots of thorny vines and spider webs. I was the web breaker and embarassingly, screamed several times when I walked into webs with big (to me) spiders in them.

As usual, I made stupid decisions and wore a skirt so my legs are scratched up pretty bad.

Let me tell you about Time Zone. He is very smart, far smarter than myself, and he knows so much about hiking and...everything. Not only is he smart, he makes good decisions based on his knowledge and he is always right. (He wore pants.)

Me? I don't think about things, I just do it, and often make the dumbest mistakes. I live my life on generalities and hope for the best. Sometimes it works out. :)

Anyway...after the hike we drove back up the Cherohala Skyway to get my car. It was still cool at that elevation so we sat in chairs, rested, (shared an adult beverage) and TZ ate his lunch...because he's smart and took advantage of the cool breeze and pleasant temps. I decided to stop at the base of the skyway at Tellico Beach (walk-up food stand next to the river) to eat a bacon cheeseburger and onion rings. It was delicious but so, so hot outside...it was hotter sitting on that bench in the shade than when we were hiking. The burger and onion rings were really good so maybe it was worth it. (Not many places know how to make onion rings the right way!)

I only took a few pics and didn't get any of the overgrowth that we had to wade through.
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Traffic Jam wrote:

Time Zone and I met for another day hike in Cherokee National Forest and had a great time as usual. We drove up the Cherohala Parkway, parked one car on a bumpy, gravel road near Indian Boundary campground and another one at Eagle Gap parking and hiked 6 miles back to the car. This trail was new to both of us which was very cool.

It was mostly downhill but the trail was overgrown with lots of thorny vines and spider webs. I was the web breaker and embarassingly, screamed several times when I walked into webs with big (to me) spiders in them.

As usual, I made stupid decisions and wore a skirt so my legs are scratched up pretty bad.

Let me tell you about Time Zone. He is very smart, far smarter than myself, and he knows so much about hiking and...everything. Not only is he smart, he makes good decisions based on his knowledge and he is always right. (He wore pants.)

Me? I don't think about things, I just do it, and often make the dumbest mistakes. I live my life on generalities and hope for the best. Sometimes it works out. :)

Anyway...after the hike we drove back up the Cherohala Skyway to get my car. It was still cool at that elevation so we sat in chairs, rested, (shared an adult beverage) and TZ ate his lunch...because he's smart and took advantage of the cool breeze and pleasant temps. I decided to stop at the base of the skyway at Tellico Beach (walk-up food stand next to the river) to eat a bacon cheeseburger and onion rings. It was delicious but so, so hot outside...it was hotter sitting on that bench in the shade than when we were hiking. The burger and onion rings were really good so maybe it was worth it. (Not many places know how to make onion rings the right way!)

I only took a few pics and didn't get any of the overgrowth that we had to wade through.
      Don't be so hard on yourself. We're all different with our own strengths and weKnesses. Besides that we all have good days and bad.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Time Zone and I met for another day hike in Cherokee National Forest and had a great time as usual. We drove up the Cherohala Parkway, parked one car on a bumpy, gravel road near Indian Boundary campground and another one at Eagle Gap parking and hiked 6 miles back to the car. This trail was new to both of us which was very cool.

Don't be so hard on yourself. We're all different with our own strengths and weKnesses. Besides that we all have good days and bad.
      Thanks!

I’m still making the dumbest mistakes, I just quit telling y’all about them because it’s too embarrassing.

:)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Thanks!
      I’m still making the dumbest mistakes, I just quit telling y’all about them because it’s too embarrassing.

:)
      Embarrassment doesn't exist among friends.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Mount Jasper, Berlin, NH:

Labor Day Weekend Kathleen and I hiked to a site I have wanted to visit for a long time, the Mount Jasper Lithic Source (or, ‘Indian mine’).

Mount Jasper is more of a hill. The hike is less than a mile each way with a few hundred feet of elevation gain. The trail is not very well publicized. To find the trailhead, go to the back of the Berlin High School parking lot. Here you can see the pulp mill smoke stack of this hardscrabble old mill town.

Native American 'workshops' have been uncovered both on the summit of Mount Jasper, and at the base down by the river. This was an important site for the manufacture of stone tools by paleo Americans.

This is entrance to the most extensive paleo American mining operation. The shaft runs about 30 feet deep.

Scott exploring the cave.

Imagining what it was like here 10,000 years ago. The surrounding area still would have been tundra after the retreat of the glaciers. Paleo Americans would have hunted Caribou and perhaps some of the remaining Wooly Mammoths.

Examining the rhyolite seam. The Mount Jasper rhyolite is very glassy and apparently was prized by the native tribes for its ability to make sharp stone tools. This is a place where several bands of the Abenaki would have converged and traded.

Scott framed by rhyolite: Stone from this mountain has been found across North America and it speaks to the extensive trade networks that must have existed among the native tribes.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier