Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

• Traffic Jam wrote:

I got a few more miles on the AT. It was fun but I still had bad foot pain and blisters so I stopped at Outdoor 76 and bought a new pair of shoes. They feel great...we’ll see.
      Just drove by Winding Stair Friday afternoon and early Monday morning. Always honk the horn when I cross the AT. And was at Outdoor 76 Saturday. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

I got a few more miles on the AT. It was fun but I still had bad foot pain and blisters so I stopped at Outdoor 76 and bought a new pair of shoes. They feel great...we’ll see.
      Just drove by Winding Stair Friday afternoon and early Monday morning. Always honk the horn when I cross the AT. And was at Outdoor 76 Saturday. :thumbup:
      As I drove by Winding Stair, I thought I saw Sgt Rock and his wife Kanga in the parking lot, talking to some people. I nearly did a u-turn. I wonder if it was them or just my imagination?
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

what shoes did you get
      Salomon Odyssey Triple Crown...but I’ll be happy with a pain-free 10 miler. ;)

I love the color but if they actually work for me, I’m buying the crazy looking ones too. Maybe Magic will let me fly down the trail.
      Images
      • 429C121A-9470-4F21-8FFF-E330E2EEB5BA.jpeg

105.2 kB, 600×450, viewed 4 times
      • 828A0F7D-31A5-495F-A8CD-EC9B58EC8EE2.jpeg

72.78 kB, 469×600, viewed 6 times
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

what shoes did you get
      Salomon Odyssey Triple Crown...but I’ll be happy with a pain-free 10 miler. ;)
      I love the color but if they actually work for me, I’m buying the crazy looking ones too. Maybe Magic will let me fly down the trail.
      So now you can start planning to do the Triple Crown. :D
    • 6 miles with a loaded backpack (trying to do every day until I leave) and mowed our 1.5 acres with the push mower. Fitbit says over 14 miles today, but with over 90* on a sunny day, thinking maybe i should have worn a hat some.
      Images
      • 20200628_223537.jpg

39.19 kB, 600×291, viewed 7 times
    • Astro wrote:

6 miles with a loaded backpack (trying to do every day until I leave) and mowed our 1.5 acres with the push mower. Fitbit says over 14 miles today, but with over 90* on a sunny day, thinking maybe i should have worn a hat some.
      Ouch!

I mowed our half acre on Saturday morning. Then spread 3 bundles of peat moss and 3 bags of composted manure on the yard. Finished about 4 PM. In the Texas heat and sun. AND with the "Sahara Dust" beating down on me. Sunday I hiked 7+ miles in the forest. But I think the sunburn happened on Saturday. I did wear a hat, but my neck is cooked-lobster-red and sore.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Hiked 6 mi in Frozen Head SP today. A few weeks ago, I realized that I’ve hiked most of the trails in the park so made a goal to hike all of them.

It was muggy and buggy. My new shoes were okay but I still had pain in my left foot traveling up to my knee...likely because I unconsciously change my gait, putting strain on my knee. Ugh. If my foot didn’t hurt, I could hike more miles.

The only pic I took was of my lunch, lol. It was couscous with chickpeas, olives, pepperoni, and fermented vegetables (radishes, green garlic, bok choy). Yum.
    • We made the almost 3 hour drive to NY's Catskill region, near the town of Woodstock (yes, THAT Woodstock) to hike the Overlook Mountain Trail. It was a steady uphill walk of only 2.5 miles with an elevation gain of around 1500-1700 feet. I'd have to look at the map with my glasses on to get an accurate elevation gain. At 2 miles we walked past a long abandoned hotel and then at 2.5 miles there was an old fire tower. Kathy and I wanted to go another 2 or so miles to Echo lake but her sister didn't want to since it would have meant going down from and then back up to the top of the mountain. So the day wound up being a short one for walking and a long one for driving.
      Images
      • 20200704_111034.jpg

47.69 kB, 800×450, viewed 8 times
      • 20200704_124130.jpg

124.08 kB, 600×337, viewed 6 times