Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

• max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I'm going in a different direction with this post. :)

I DIDN'T go on a walk today. Sore ankle. I had taken a walk the 23 previous days -- which is probably what gave me the sore ankle. Hopefully start a new streak tomorrow.
      Is that supposed to be some kind of Last Dance tribute. :D
      Nice reference. Took me a second...
      Hey at least you got it, being a basketball guy I thought you might appreciate it. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

Having this past Monday off from work for Memorial Day Kathy and I decided to bust all the rules here in NY and do an overnighter on the AT. We even invited Kathy's sister on her second backpacking trip ever. We planned to start where the trail crosses South Mountain road and hike north. As we got close to the trailhead we saw that parking areas for trails in the area where signed as being closed and where dropped off. But there were cars parked along the sides off the roads despite the signs. We found the same at our chosen start point and finally drove to Graymoor and parked near where the trail crosses their property, on land under the jurisdiction of the NPS for the trail........more to come after work...
    • New

We set off northbound from Graymoor, at about 11:30AM, letting our 11 year old dog set the pace and Kathy's sister call for breaks. Kathy and I hadn't done this piece of trail in many years and it was like doing it for the first time. We were hoping to make it to the Dennytown Rd. camping area. As we walked we passed many other people, some out for the day and some out for the weekend. As we crossed Canapus Hill Road there was a historic marker saying this was a location that the Continental army camped during revolution and we saw the remaining stone foundation of their medical cabin. We went on a bit more before my sister-in-law said she couldn't go any farther. So we went off trail and set up camp. I think we had gone somewhere between 5 and 6 miles. It was a pleasant evening, except the women were getting bitten by no-see-ums a lot. I guess I'm not as tasty. We went into our tents after dinner and I soon fell asleep even though it was still light out. The next morning we awoke to a light rain and ate, then packed up camp. We retraced our steps from the day before. Again we saw a lot of people and even crossed paths with some thru hikers. Again we let our pace be set by the dog and breaks determined by the sister. We arrived back at the car in the afternoon. There we changed into clean clothes and had a relaxing ride home.
    • New

Went to Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary in the Huron Manistee NF. It's an easy 2 mile loop through the woods, along the lake, boardwalk over a big, and by the ruins of an old farm. One of our favorite walks. Not a lot of flowers this time of year but did see a few pink lady slippers and yellow water lillies. Also saw a yellow warbler, sand hill crane, kingfisher, Oriole, Scarlet Tananger, and a baby deer, still with it's spots. Did not see mommy. Ate a picnic lunch at their picnic pavilion and used what must be the nicest outhouse I have ever seen.
    • New

odd man out wrote:

Went to Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary in the Huron Manistee NF. It's an easy 2 mile loop through the woods, along the lake, boardwalk over a big, and by the ruins of an old farm. One of our favorite walks. Not a lot of flowers this time of year but did see a few pink lady slippers and yellow water lillies. Also saw a yellow warbler, sand hill crane, kingfisher, Oriole, Scarlet Tananger, and a baby deer, still with it's spots. Did not see mommy. Ate a picnic lunch at their picnic pavilion and used what must be the nicest outhouse I have ever seen.
      Driving to park at the trailhead Friday I saw two deer pass in front of me, the little one still spots.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

odd man out wrote:

That is a good day of birding OMO, never had the pleasure of seeing a sandhill crane.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

Kathy and I spent Saturday doing 12.6 miles in NY's Fahnstock state park. The only wildlife we saw, other than chipmonks and ticks was a large Heron. There's a lot more to the park that we didn't see, so I suspect se'll be going back once we get a new map of the place. The one we have now is 6 years old and it seems they've added some trails.