Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Walked 15 miles today on the Arkansas River Trail and had something new happen. It was 95* with a heat index of 103*. I should been well hydrated drinking 4 litres of water and Propel (electolytes). What was new was all of the salt crystals on my legs.

Anyone else experience this before?
      Images
      • 20190915_163953.jpg

61.84 kB, 450×600, viewed 14 times
      • 20190915_163949.jpg

46.69 kB, 450×600, viewed 15 times
      • 20190915_180953.jpg

54.01 kB, 800×600, viewed 14 times
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Had the chance to walk a little on the AT today around Wayah Bald Fire Tower.
      Images
      • 20191011_160902.jpg

127.52 kB, 800×600, viewed 10 times
      • 20191011_160909.jpg

127.51 kB, 800×600, viewed 9 times
      • 20191011_160939.jpg

131.33 kB, 800×600, viewed 9 times
      • 20191011_161022.jpg

68.81 kB, 450×600, viewed 8 times
    • Kathy, me, and our dog did about 6 miles today walking around the lake in a local county park.
      I was raining lightly at the start and got heavier as the time went on.
      My Marmot Precip rain jacket and Seattle Sombrero rain hat by Outdoor Research did the trip and kept me warm and dry.
      I only got cold when we stopped in one of the shelters to eat lunch.
      It was kind of nice in the rain as we only encountered 2 other people in a park that usually has a lot more.
      We did see some swans, ducks, geese and deer. Our poor dog, Tora, wanted to chase the deer in the worst way.
      But that's why we keep her leashed, or we'd never see her again because she'd love to chase any thing she could.
    • Walked 5 miles around the neighborhood with a pack and had a first today. I have had all kinds of people stop and and roll down the window to talk to me including law enforcement officers (even a motorcycle officer answering a 911 call about a suspicious person), coworkers, neighbors, and older women wanting to know if I needed anything (assuming I was homeless). But today a truck stopped and it was one of my former baseball players from over 6 years ago. Of course he wasn't even driving back then. :)
    • Well, well, well, how quickly life changes! My house is under contract and I just spent several days hiking on the AT near SNP.

Parking next to the popcorn place at Rockfish Gap, I hiked to Paul Wolfe shelter for the night. The next morning, I found out the plans with my daughter had fallen through so taking advantage of the situation but only having food for one night, I swallowed my pride and bummed food from hikers at the shelter. They were very gracious but it felt really weird.

Day 2 I hiked south and explored some side trails before returning to the shelter. Rain was forecast so I stayed in the shelter last night, along with 7 other hikers... 2 section hikers, 3 nobos, and 2 sobos. It was a lot of fun...too much fun. :)

I really enjoyed meeting a young, nobo hiker who had an amazing outlook on life. We had a great discussion and it reminded me that my attitude the past few months hasn’t been great and I need to work on that. After the rain stopped, we hiked out at the same time so I drove us into Waynesboro and treated us to lunch before parting ways.

Fall colors were incredible.

I really needed this. I hiked about 20 miles, met some great people, and got an attitude adjustment. It will get me through the next crazy month of packing and moving...if the deal goes through (don’t count your chickens...)
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Well, well, well, how quickly life changes! My house is under contract and I just spent several days hiking on the AT near SNP.

Parking next to the popcorn place at Rockfish Gap, I hiked to Paul Wolfe shelter for the night. The next morning, I found out the plans with my daughter had fallen through so taking advantage of the situation but only having food for one night, I swallowed my pride and bummed food from hikers at the shelter. They were very gracious but it felt really weird.

Day 2 I hiked south and explored some side trails before returning to the shelter. Rain was forecast so I stayed in the shelter last night, along with 7 other hikers... 2 section hikers, 3 nobos, and 2 sobos. It was a lot of fun...too much fun. :)

I really enjoyed meeting a young, nobo hiker who had an amazing outlook on life. We had a great discussion and it reminded me that my attitude the past few months hasn’t been great and I need to work on that. After the rain stopped, we hiked out at the same time so I drove us into Waynesboro and treated us to lunch before parting ways.

I really needed this. I hiked about 20 miles, met some great people, and got an attitude adjustment. It will get me through the next crazy month of packing and moving...if the deal goes through (don’t count your chickens...)
      Wish I had known you were there, I was just up there Wednesday. Would have been nice to meet.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Well, well, well, how quickly life changes! My house is under contract and I just spent several days hiking on the AT near SNP.

Wish I had known you were there, I was just up there Wednesday. Would have been nice to meet.
      I should have contacted you and considered it when trying to plan my second day and figure out the food situation. Initially, I planned to continue south as far as I could go then hitch back to the car but worried about trying to hitch in a downpour. I thought about asking you for help but then decided to weather the rain in the shelter. I’ll definitely let you know next time! I think you would have enjoyed the group of hikers staying at the shelter and campsites.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I really enjoyed getting to meet JJ back at SNP in 2015. The only downside is he wanted to give me trail magic with food and I had just got a resupply that was supposed to last me a week to Harpers Ferry. And my left arm was in a sling (from tearing my rotator cuff) and I really didn't want to add much more weight. Fortunately I took some propel packs (never had it before then), and still consistently use the stuff. :)
      That was also the day I first met Blissful while JJ was letting me slack pack. Ran into her again we were at Gravel Springs at the end of SNP.
    • max.patch wrote:

i was planning on hiking up to long creek falls and the cemetary and bringing home some barbeque to eat while watching game 7, but i'ts raining all day today and tomorrow so that got canned. still gonna watch game 7 -- but with no barbeque. :(
      No other decent BBQ nearby?
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i was planning on hiking up to long creek falls and the cemetary and bringing home some barbeque to eat while watching game 7, but i'ts raining all day today and tomorrow so that got canned. still gonna watch game 7 -- but with no barbeque. :(
      yeah...but it's not the same. besides, bbq isn't exactly a health food -- and if i limit it to hiking trips i eat it less often.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

yeah...but it's not the same. besides, bbq isn't exactly a health food -- and if i limit it to hiking trips i eat it less often.
      I’ve gotten in the habit of stopping at Due South BBQ when traveling to and from Lititz Pa. it’s amazing! And if their parking lot is full, I go to the fantastic drive-up burger place next door. Can’t recommend those two places enough...near Christiansburg I think...right off the I-81 so very convenient.

Stephan Pastis
    • Astro wrote:

Had the chance to walk a little on the AT today around Wayah Bald Fire Tower.
      I'm so glad that even though I only have half hour to get ready to meet up with some friends, that I came to this thread. Supposed to go hiking and I just was not motivated at all, but this page has me chomping at the bit. Thanks fellow hikers!

My sister wants me to hike with her in late March in KY but I'm totally rethinking that as MARCH MADNESS!!! And your pics have me thinking that if my team goes to the Final 4 (and hopefully the NC game . . . and cuts down the nets; it's been 20 yrs after all), that on the way back (Atlanta), I'll stop in Franklin and hike up to Wayah Bald and maybe a little further.
    • Well, I ended up having a terrific time!!! So, Muchas Gracias to all you great Cafe walker/posters!!!

Hiked 4.3 miles at Proud Lake State Recreation Area

Not sure if there were any hunters out and about but wore the very colorful balaclava that my husband gave me last Christmas. When I opened the gift, I thought WTF because it was so garish but I wasn't thinking ahead to hiking during hunting season.
      Saw a little owl in a tree

Took this pic from a bridge over a marshy area; there were interesting patterns in the ice

So great to get out in the fresh air!