Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• It is something between sleet and snow here, my morning walk was very short. The previous photos got me itching to see some art, so my wife and I took a walk around Harvard's Art museums.

1) Still Life with Commode, Paul Cezanne
      2) Self Portrait by Vincent Van Gogh. He gave this painting to Paul Gauguin who turned around and sold it for 300 francs.
      3) Negro Soldier, Robert Smullyan Sloan
      4) The Drunken Silenus, Francesco Fracanzano
      5) Little Dancer of Fourteen Years, Edgar Degas
      6) The atrium.

If you ever come to Boston I do recommend a side trip to Cambridge to visit Harvard. They have a nice Art Museum and Natural History Museum.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • BTW, if you are taking the train to an AT trailhead and have a long layover in Washington DC, walk a few blocks west from the station to the west entrance of the National Gallery of Art. There you can check your pack while you look at the art. Of course you can also go to other museums or out to lunch too, just be sure you get back before they close or you're screwed. The museums are free and so is the bag check. I did have to unload my whole pack for a security check, but they were very cool about it. While there you can see the only DaVinci in the Western Hemisphere. The Annuciation by Van Eyck has to be seen to be believed. Come to think of it, I've seen it an I still don't believe it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• New

odd man out wrote:

BTW, if you are taking the train to an AT trailhead and have a long layover, walk a few blocks west from the station to the west entrance of the National Gallery of Art. There you can check your pack while you look at the art. Of course you can also go to other museums or out to lunch too, just be sure you get back before they close or you're screwed. The museums are free and so is the bag check. I did have to unload my whole pack for a security check, but they were very cool about it. While there you can see the only DaVinci in the Western Hemisphere. The Annuciation by Van Eyck has to be seen to be believed. Come to think of it, I've seen it an I still don't believe it.
      I assume this is the Chicago Amtrak station. Taken many connections thru their to the AT.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

BTW, if you are taking the train to an AT trailhead and have a long layover, walk a few blocks west from the station to the west entrance of the National Gallery of Art. There you can check your pack while you look at the art. Of course you can also go to other museums or out to lunch too, just be sure you get back before they close or you're screwed. The museums are free and so is the bag check. I did have to unload my whole pack for a security check, but they were very cool about it. While there you can see the only DaVinci in the Western Hemisphere. The Annuciation by Van Eyck has to be seen to be believed. Come to think of it, I've seen it an I still don't believe it.
      I assume this is the Chicago Amtrak station. Taken many connections thru their to the AT.
      Oops, sorry I was talking about the Washington DC train station connecting to HF or northern VA. Different trip. I should have mentioned that.
    • New

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Oops, sorry I was talking about the Washington DC train station connecting to HF or northern VA. Different trip. I should have mentioned that.
      Been thru that station multiple times too. Love the free museums in DC. Well actually we already pay for them with our taxes (but definitely a positive ROI in this case). Also recommend checking out Library of Congress if you have not been there before. :)
    • New

I grew up just outside of DC. The Library of Congress was one of my favorite places to visit. I especially liked the main reading room. But you were only supposed to go in if you were doing research, so I would just walk In to look around for a few minutes until they asked me to leave. I suppose security is a lot tighter now. Next time I am in town, maybe I will use my University credentials to get a pass and come up with some obscure book I supposedly need to look at, just so I can get in.
    • New

IMScotty wrote:

Tell you what, I will commit to take at least one short walk in the coming week and post if the rest of you do too
      i completed the "scotty challenge" today and drove the 88 miles from my house to the springer mountain parking lot and hiked the 1 mile up to the summit and back. grand total of 2 hiking miles.

good day despite the low mileage. was able to take "the obligatory starting picture" as she put it for a young lady from NYC sitting beside the springer mountain plaque and then chatted with a couple hikers at the shelter. all of these people had hiked up from amicalola falls state park on the first day of their prospective thrus.

they told me about 2 other prospective thru hikers who started at AFSP, hiked the approximate 1 mile up to the top of the falls, realized they were in no condition for a thru, and terminated their thru attempt at that point.

back at the parking lot chatted with a couple GATC volunteers who assist when the ATC caretakers are off. the ATC has caretakers stationed at AFSP, springer, hawk mountain, and gooch gap shelters. there is also one ridgerunner who gets paid to hike georgia. they told me it got really cold last night on springer, and the hikers in hammocks had a rough night.

2018 was first year i did not hike on the AT since i moved to the atlanta area in 1978. it was good to be back.
      2,000 miler
    • New

max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Tell you what, I will commit to take at least one short walk in the coming week and post if the rest of you do too
      i completed the "scotty challenge" today and drove the 88 miles from my house to the springer mountain parking lot and hiked the 1 mile up to the summit and back. grand total of 2 hiking miles.
      good day despite the low mileage. was able to take "the obligatory starting picture" as she put it for a young lady from NYC sitting beside the springer mountain plaque and then chatted with a couple hikers at the shelter. all of these people had hiked up from amicalola falls state park on the first day of their prospective thrus.

they told me about 2 other prospective thru hikers who started at AFSP, hiked the approximate 1 mile up to the top of the falls, realized they were in no condition for a thru, and terminated their thru attempt at that point.

back at the parking lot chatted with a couple GATC volunteers who assist when the ATC caretakers are off. the ATC has caretakers stationed at AFSP, springer, hawk mountain, and gooch gap shelters. there is also one ridgerunner who gets paid to hike georgia. they told me it got really cold last night on springer, and the hikers in hammocks had a rough night.

2018 was first year i did not hike on the AT since i moved to the atlanta area in 1978. it was good to be back.
      Good to see you back on the AT. :thumbup: