Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Yesterday, Time Zone and I met for a day hike. We met in Tellico Plains and visited Bald River Falls which was amazing. All of the rain created quite a sight. We did a loop hike on Bald River Falls Trail and Cow Camp Trail with a short road walk back to the car. We then drove up to Unicoi Crest and hiked a few miles on the BMT. I think it was his first BMT hike(?). I was excited to introduce TZ to the BMT and it was nice to see my hiking buddy. Plus, the sun was shining...it was a great day.
      Images
      • 89CD1E21-DAC2-4D4C-9562-833AB2F6A3DF.jpeg

        285.45 kB, 800×600, viewed 49 times
      • AA6B01CE-AB2C-4592-A7A6-34AD359108ED.jpeg

        425.84 kB, 800×600, viewed 45 times
      • B23A93F5-B43E-4874-AB4E-FCF87B2ECE75.jpeg

        430.57 kB, 800×600, viewed 44 times
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • It was 28* yesterday afternoon, overcast, a bit of wind and with a dusting of snow on the ground but none of that deterred 14 hardy hikers who gathered at Island Lake State Park at 3pm.

      I had asked a co-worker if she wanted to go with me, so the 2 of us took off from the office at 2:12pm and I gunned it and arrived at 2:45. You never know what kind of traffic is going to be on Southfield or the Lodge so I'm just grateful no LEO's were travelling those roads at the same time :)

      We basically hiked the Hickory Ridge Trail which according to my Health ap was 5.7 miles. I started tuckering out the last 1/2 - 3/4 mile but I made it. :thumbup:

      Only downside was that I forgot to take my knee supports (one is a Donjoy neoprene sleeve and the other a Donjoy Sporlastic sleeve) and I was feeling it when I got home, particularly when going up and down the stairs. Not sure if below freezing temps would negatively impact them, but if not, I'll put them in the trunk along with my hiking shoes, hiking poles and gaiters.
    • One of the great things about hiking with a hiking group is that you get to meet and know a lot of people that you wouldn't otherwise meet. I hiked for about half the hike with a lady who asked what I did. I told her I was an accountant to which she replied that she is also an accountant. So then I told her a bit about my career and then she said well, I'm not exactly the same kind of accountant, I'm a revenue agent with the IRS and am on furlough". She said she normally takes off time during the holidays but once Jan 2 hits, she's normally back to work, but not this year. She said it feels weird but gave her the opportunity to join us at a mid/late afternoon hike.
    • max.patch wrote:

      i bundled up and braved the 42 degree weather and walked 2 miles around the soccer field. then it started to rain so i beat it for the comfort of my temperature controlled house.
      With all the rain an cold weather today I got almost three miles indoors earlier, and will try to grab another couple before I go home. Last thing I want to do now is slip and fall on something wet.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Yesterday dawned with high's in the mid-high 30's and rain forecast for most of the day; supposed to end between 3 and 4ish. Hike scheduled for 3pm at Proud Lake State Park.

      If I had thought the trails would be glare ice, I wouldn't have gone; but in the city, the snow/ice had melted enough to be slush, so I thought what the heck, I'd rather be out in the woods possibly getting wet than at the Fitness Center again. So, got out my rain pants and my Marmot rain jacket and wore boots (that I thought were waterproof) rather than my hiking shoes. Also took a dry set of clothes including socks and shoes in a duffel bag.

      It was just spitting a little as we started driving but by the time we reached the park, the rain had totally stopped; YAY! The trails were snowy/slushy/several inches of water in various parts of the trail. My boots worked well for about 2 miles but then water started seeping in. But I had on my Wright socks that are merino wool with an inner liner also of merino wool. So, while my feet were getting wet, and sopped by the end of the hike, they never were truly cold; a bit cool but ok.

      Got to know several new people; one of the gents has done a little hiking/backpacking on the AT so we compared sections traversed. He'd basically done northern Tennessee into Virginia up to Mt. Rogers (saw the ponies) and then parts of central Virginia. His favorite section was Dragon's Tooth to Tinker Cliffs. He said he'd gotten up to MacAfee Knob by 10am so they were up there by themselves so they took all sorts of wild pics up there. Although he and his group (wife, brother and sis-in-law) missed The Homeplace Restaurant; he'd never heard of it. Told him if he goes back, it's not to miss.

      I said to myself as I drove up that I was going to take pics this time but when I reached into my pocket to get out my phone, it wasn't there. Drat, I'd left it in the car. Double drat, I'd left the car unlocked, and my duffel with my clutch with wallet was in there. Said a couple prayers and hoped for the best. After 5+ miles, we reached the parking lot and I ran to my car. Yup, unlocked but phone still there, duffel still there, everything safe and sound. Hit the outhouse then peeled off my sopping wet socks. Luckily I had a small Spartan rally towel in the trunk so I was able to dry off my feet a bit and put on the dry socks and shoes. Successful hike!
    • I had a nice walk today as I explored House Mountain just outside Knoxville. Not many actual miles to add to my (still nonexistent) 2019 Mileage List. It was only 3 miles of hiking but about 20 miles for the smileage list!

      It was amazing to hike up to the ridge and sit for a while, listening to the sleet, gazing at the view with a thermos of coffee by my side and cheese, pepperoni, and bagel chips for lunch. Hiking in winter is wonderful.

      The House Mountain natural area is in Knox Co and managed by the Parks and Rec dept. It is representative of the Cumberland’s with all the boulders and the narrow ridge.

      A few pics. Some of the rocks reminded me of pancakes and one of the pictures looks blurry because the sleet was a bit heavy.
      Images
      • 9A86C982-04AD-45C6-84CC-1660B9477D60.jpeg

        264.72 kB, 800×600, viewed 39 times
      • 967EA1F1-0E46-4113-B4FA-A8B4639A8195.jpeg

        432.94 kB, 800×600, viewed 35 times
      • 1C3202A0-6A40-4F48-8647-F02EBB6B3E7F.jpeg

        322.14 kB, 800×600, viewed 33 times
      • 7B8A2C72-42D5-4984-A7CF-653164A46351.jpeg

        402.15 kB, 800×600, viewed 37 times
      • DFC6964D-9611-436E-93A7-60DDCDB12B0A.jpeg

        351.65 kB, 800×600, viewed 36 times
      • 43FF7C40-2B43-4998-97AA-6BE74978E0E1.jpeg

        393.4 kB, 800×600, viewed 35 times
      • 9238D6C0-870E-4CDE-85A3-1491F13C3E98.jpeg

        384.06 kB, 800×600, viewed 32 times
      • 8DD5D42D-D4E9-4DBC-BA7E-0F9D42C7E26C.jpeg

        420.26 kB, 800×600, viewed 31 times
      • A9433246-38B1-428E-AC45-D72F8961C0E0.jpeg

        293.36 kB, 800×600, viewed 35 times
      • 455A7E52-AA52-41B2-AA15-268FE6FDAD12.jpeg

        406.93 kB, 800×600, viewed 31 times
      • A1AC688E-E985-4028-A3BD-0D6B9A00018E.jpeg

        155.58 kB, 798×600, viewed 38 times
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      I had a nice walk today as I explored House Mountain just outside Knoxville. Not many actual miles to add to my (still nonexistent) 2019 Mileage List. It was only 3 miles of hiking but about 20 miles for the smileage list!

      It was amazing to hike up to the ridge and sit for a while, listening to the sleet, gazing at the view with a thermos of coffee by my side and cheese, pepperoni, and bagel chips for lunch. Hiking in winter is wonderful.

      The House Mountain natural area is in Knox Co and managed by the Parks and Rec dept. It is representative of the Cumberland’s with all the boulders and the narrow ridge.

      A few pics. Some of the rocks reminded me of pancakes and one of the pictures looks blurry because the sleet was a bit heavy.
      Thrilled to hear about your hike at House Mountain. Nearly 20 years ago my friend Mary took me up there on one of my visits to Knoxville. I agree with everything you said and your pics brought back some real cool memories. That was before I ever set foot on the AT. Did you see many other people there? If I remember correctly Mary and I had the whole place to ourselves.
    • chief wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      I had a nice walk today as I explored House Mountain just outside Knoxville. Not many actual miles to add to my (still nonexistent) 2019 Mileage List. It was only 3 miles of hiking but about 20 miles for the smileage list!

      It was amazing to hike up to the ridge and sit for a while, listening to the sleet, gazing at the view with a thermos of coffee by my side and cheese, pepperoni, and bagel chips for lunch. Hiking in winter is wonderful.

      The House Mountain natural area is in Knox Co and managed by the Parks and Rec dept. It is representative of the Cumberland’s with all the boulders and the narrow ridge.

      A few pics. Some of the rocks reminded me of pancakes and one of the pictures looks blurry because the sleet was a bit heavy.
      Thrilled to hear about your hike at House Mountain. Nearly 20 years ago my friend Mary took me up there on one of my visits to Knoxville. I agree with everything you said and your pics brought back some real cool memories. That was before I ever set foot on the AT. Did you see many other people there? If I remember correctly Mary and I had the whole place to ourselves.
      I didn't see anyone until the end. It was much needed solitude. As I got to my car, two vehicles full of college age kids and two Golden Retrievers pulled up.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      chief wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      I had a nice walk today as I explored House Mountain just outside Knoxville. Not many actual miles to add to my (still nonexistent) 2019 Mileage List. It was only 3 miles of hiking but about 20 miles for the smileage list!

      It was amazing to hike up to the ridge and sit for a while, listening to the sleet, gazing at the view with a thermos of coffee by my side and cheese, pepperoni, and bagel chips for lunch. Hiking in winter is wonderful.

      The House Mountain natural area is in Knox Co and managed by the Parks and Rec dept. It is representative of the Cumberland’s with all the boulders and the narrow ridge.

      A few pics. Some of the rocks reminded me of pancakes and one of the pictures looks blurry because the sleet was a bit heavy.
      Thrilled to hear about your hike at House Mountain. Nearly 20 years ago my friend Mary took me up there on one of my visits to Knoxville. I agree with everything you said and your pics brought back some real cool memories. That was before I ever set foot on the AT. Did you see many other people there? If I remember correctly Mary and I had the whole place to ourselves.
      I didn't see anyone until the end. It was much needed solitude. As I got to my car, two vehicles full of college age kids and two Golden Retrievers pulled up.
      Funny thing, some time after i replied to your post, guess who should show up at my door. Yep, the one and same Mary who showed me House Mountain so many years ago. I finally convinced her to move down here in 2001. She likes being near the beach, but will always be a TN girl. Showed her your post and she too was thrilled to see the pics of her old haunt. Now you have both our thanks.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      I had a nice walk today as I explored House Mountain just outside Knoxville. Not many actual miles to add to my (still nonexistent) 2019 Mileage List. It was only 3 miles of hiking but about 20 miles for the smileage list!

      It was amazing to hike up to the ridge and sit for a while, listening to the sleet, gazing at the view with a thermos of coffee by my side and cheese, pepperoni, and bagel chips for lunch. Hiking in winter is wonderful.

      The House Mountain natural area is in Knox Co and managed by the Parks and Rec dept. It is representative of the Cumberland’s with all the boulders and the narrow ridge.

      A few pics. Some of the rocks reminded me of pancakes and one of the pictures looks blurry because the sleet was a bit heavy.
      That thermos of coffee sounds like a good idea.
      There's a bench at the highest point of Long Island that Kathy and I sometimes walk to and sit for a while.
      To be able to enjoy coffee or hot chocolate there would be very pleasant.
    • LIhikers wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      I had a nice walk today as I explored House Mountain just outside Knoxville. Not many actual miles to add to my (still nonexistent) 2019 Mileage List. It was only 3 miles of hiking but about 20 miles for the smileage list!

      It was amazing to hike up to the ridge and sit for a while, listening to the sleet, gazing at the view with a thermos of coffee by my side and cheese, pepperoni, and bagel chips for lunch. Hiking in winter is wonderful.

      The House Mountain natural area is in Knox Co and managed by the Parks and Rec dept. It is representative of the Cumberland’s with all the boulders and the narrow ridge.

      A few pics. Some of the rocks reminded me of pancakes and one of the pictures looks blurry because the sleet was a bit heavy.
      That thermos of coffee sounds like a good idea.There's a bench at the highest point of Long Island that Kathy and I sometimes walk to and sit for a while.
      To be able to enjoy coffee or hot chocolate there would be very pleasant.
      I am sure you really could have used some on the dog sledding adventure. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • chief wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      chief wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      I had a nice walk today as I explored House Mountain just outside Knoxville. Not many actual miles to add to my (still nonexistent) 2019 Mileage List. It was only 3 miles of hiking but about 20 miles for the smileage list!

      It was amazing to hike up to the ridge and sit for a while, listening to the sleet, gazing at the view with a thermos of coffee by my side and cheese, pepperoni, and bagel chips for lunch. Hiking in winter is wonderful.

      The House Mountain natural area is in Knox Co and managed by the Parks and Rec dept. It is representative of the Cumberland’s with all the boulders and the narrow ridge.

      A few pics. Some of the rocks reminded me of pancakes and one of the pictures looks blurry because the sleet was a bit heavy.
      Thrilled to hear about your hike at House Mountain. Nearly 20 years ago my friend Mary took me up there on one of my visits to Knoxville. I agree with everything you said and your pics brought back some real cool memories. That was before I ever set foot on the AT. Did you see many other people there? If I remember correctly Mary and I had the whole place to ourselves.
      I didn't see anyone until the end. It was much needed solitude. As I got to my car, two vehicles full of college age kids and two Golden Retrievers pulled up.
      Funny thing, some time after i replied to your post, guess who should show up at my door. Yep, the one and same Mary who showed me House Mountain so many years ago. I finally convinced her to move down here in 2001. She likes being near the beach, but will always be a TN girl. Showed her your post and she too was thrilled to see the pics of her old haunt. Now you have both our thanks.
      Awwwwww....what a sweet story! Thank you.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Did a 7.5 loop hike today on the Pinhoti/Cave Creek Trails trying to assess what condition my condition was in...6 miles around the neighborhood I'm okay...knees a little sore after this. Treated them with a good cigar and some single malt scotch afterwards and they feel fine.

      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      chief wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      chief wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      I had a nice walk today as I explored House Mountain just outside Knoxville. Not many actual miles to add to my (still nonexistent) 2019 Mileage List. It was only 3 miles of hiking but about 20 miles for the smileage list!

      It was amazing to hike up to the ridge and sit for a while, listening to the sleet, gazing at the view with a thermos of coffee by my side and cheese, pepperoni, and bagel chips for lunch. Hiking in winter is wonderful.

      The House Mountain natural area is in Knox Co and managed by the Parks and Rec dept. It is representative of the Cumberland’s with all the boulders and the narrow ridge.

      A few pics. Some of the rocks reminded me of pancakes and one of the pictures looks blurry because the sleet was a bit heavy.
      Thrilled to hear about your hike at House Mountain. Nearly 20 years ago my friend Mary took me up there on one of my visits to Knoxville. I agree with everything you said and your pics brought back some real cool memories. That was before I ever set foot on the AT. Did you see many other people there? If I remember correctly Mary and I had the whole place to ourselves.
      I didn't see anyone until the end. It was much needed solitude. As I got to my car, two vehicles full of college age kids and two Golden Retrievers pulled up.
      Funny thing, some time after i replied to your post, guess who should show up at my door. Yep, the one and same Mary who showed me House Mountain so many years ago. I finally convinced her to move down here in 2001. She likes being near the beach, but will always be a TN girl. Showed her your post and she too was thrilled to see the pics of her old haunt. Now you have both our thanks.
      Awwwwww....what a sweet story! Thank you.
      you kinda made my day!! i'll pass along your sentiment to miss mary.
    • chief wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      chief wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      chief wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      I had a nice walk today as I explored House Mountain just outside Knoxville. Not many actual miles to add to my (still nonexistent) 2019 Mileage List. It was only 3 miles of hiking but about 20 miles for the smileage list!

      It was amazing to hike up to the ridge and sit for a while, listening to the sleet, gazing at the view with a thermos of coffee by my side and cheese, pepperoni, and bagel chips for lunch. Hiking in winter is wonderful.

      The House Mountain natural area is in Knox Co and managed by the Parks and Rec dept. It is representative of the Cumberland’s with all the boulders and the narrow ridge.

      A few pics. Some of the rocks reminded me of pancakes and one of the pictures looks blurry because the sleet was a bit heavy.
      Thrilled to hear about your hike at House Mountain. Nearly 20 years ago my friend Mary took me up there on one of my visits to Knoxville. I agree with everything you said and your pics brought back some real cool memories. That was before I ever set foot on the AT. Did you see many other people there? If I remember correctly Mary and I had the whole place to ourselves.
      I didn't see anyone until the end. It was much needed solitude. As I got to my car, two vehicles full of college age kids and two Golden Retrievers pulled up.
      Funny thing, some time after i replied to your post, guess who should show up at my door. Yep, the one and same Mary who showed me House Mountain so many years ago. I finally convinced her to move down here in 2001. She likes being near the beach, but will always be a TN girl. Showed her your post and she too was thrilled to see the pics of her old haunt. Now you have both our thanks.
      Awwwwww....what a sweet story! Thank you.
      you kinda made my day!! i'll pass along your sentiment to miss mary.
      It was serendipity!
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Walked 4 miles with a 15# pack. It was on asphalt. Trying to decide if that constitutes hiking and can be added to my mileage? ?(

      I sat down this morning and started my 2019 mileage list. One of my problems is sometimes I don’t know how many miles I hiked and have to guess.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      Walked 4 miles with a 15# pack. It was on asphalt. Trying to decide if that constitutes hiking and can be added to my mileage? ?(

      I sat down this morning and started my 2019 mileage list. One of my problems is sometimes I don’t know how many miles I hiked and have to guess.
      count those 4 miles with a clean conscience -- at least some of the trails (maybe all; it's been a long time) in muir woods national monument are asphalt. and the AT in PA had a 20 mile road road once upon a time.

      i know my hiking pace and more than once i've had to calculate my mileage after a hike.
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      I had a nice walk today as I explored House Mountain just outside Knoxville. Not many actual miles to add to my (still nonexistent) 2019 Mileage List. It was only 3 miles of hiking but about 20 miles for the smileage list!

      It was amazing to hike up to the ridge and sit for a while, listening to the sleet, gazing at the view with a thermos of coffee by my side and cheese, pepperoni, and bagel chips for lunch. Hiking in winter is wonderful.

      The House Mountain natural area is in Knox Co and managed by the Parks and Rec dept. It is representative of the Cumberland’s with all the boulders and the narrow ridge.

      A few pics. Some of the rocks reminded me of pancakes and one of the pictures looks blurry because the sleet was a bit heavy.
      That thermos of coffee sounds like a good idea.There's a bench at the highest point of Long Island that Kathy and I sometimes walk to and sit for a while.
      To be able to enjoy coffee or hot chocolate there would be very pleasant.
      I've read that a Thermos is considered standard gear among scandanavian hikers.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      I had a nice walk today as I explored House Mountain just outside Knoxville. Not many actual miles to add to my (still nonexistent) 2019 Mileage List. It was only 3 miles of hiking but about 20 miles for the smileage list!

      It was amazing to hike up to the ridge and sit for a while, listening to the sleet, gazing at the view with a thermos of coffee by my side and cheese, pepperoni, and bagel chips for lunch. Hiking in winter is wonderful.

      The House Mountain natural area is in Knox Co and managed by the Parks and Rec dept. It is representative of the Cumberland’s with all the boulders and the narrow ridge.

      A few pics. Some of the rocks reminded me of pancakes and one of the pictures looks blurry because the sleet was a bit heavy.
      Photoshop repair. Sharpened and color corrected for UV... not sure its an improvement. I tried.
      Images
      • test1.jpg

        220.2 kB, 798×600, viewed 38 times
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Walked 3 miles the other day on some local trails with a 20# pack. It was muddy and there were some blow downs so the pack had to be removed and pushed in front of me. It was a muddy mess but fun.

      Oops, just remembered my muddy shoes are still in the car.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      I had a nice walk today as I explored House Mountain just outside Knoxville. Not many actual miles to add to my (still nonexistent) 2019 Mileage List. It was only 3 miles of hiking but about 20 miles for the smileage list!

      It was amazing to hike up to the ridge and sit for a while, listening to the sleet, gazing at the view with a thermos of coffee by my side and cheese, pepperoni, and bagel chips for lunch. Hiking in winter is wonderful.

      The House Mountain natural area is in Knox Co and managed by the Parks and Rec dept. It is representative of the Cumberland’s with all the boulders and the narrow ridge.

      A few pics. Some of the rocks reminded me of pancakes and one of the pictures looks blurry because the sleet was a bit heavy.
      Photoshop repair. Sharpened and color corrected for UV... not sure its an improvement. I tried.
      Thanks! The rocks look much clearer. I was trying to get the Smokies in the background.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • It was a nice day here on Long Island so Kathy and I took our dog, Tora, out for a relaxed walk on the Nassau/Suffolk Trail.
      Just for fun I took our son's GPS with us so I know we walked 3.81 miles at an average moving speed of 2.4 miles an hour and that our elevation was mostly between 45 and 66 feet above seal level. The thing can give more info than I really want to know.
    • Astro wrote:

      Not something I normally see on my walks in AR.
      I just saw this! This is something that you run into when fishing meadow streams. You come thru some weeds and step into a pool and whoa, there he his all 5 feet of him with that big old pointy beak, he looks right at you and you can almost hear him tell you to ‘beat it, this is my pool!’
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Despite waking up to 5 to 6 inches of snow yesterday Kathy and I got off Long Island to do some hiking. We left later than originally planned and started walking right around noon. We went north on New York's Long Path, starting where we ended on January 1st. Going north we walked, slipped and slid for 3.63 miles to where the trail comes into the town of Central Nyack. We then walked back into the woods a short way and sat down on a downed tree to eat our lunch. It was a delight to sit and do nothing with no noise, no people, and no stress. Then we made our way back to the park, where we had parked the car, using other trails mostly. We did get a little lost, no, misplaced, due to some old blazes that are still visible. The temperature was in the low 40s and I was over dressed so I worked up quite a sweat. In total we walked 7.43 miles without either of us falling down due to the less than perfect footing in the snow. Once I download the photos from my camera I'll post any good ones here for your viewing.
    • Glad you were not there when that tree fell over.

      When I started the AT my biggest fears were bears and rattle snakes.
      Now I believe it is ticks/lyme disease and trees following over on me (like sleeping in a tent during a storm).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • So today's "walk" was through the galleries of Art Institute in Chicago. I took pictures of few of my favorites:

      They had a special exhibit of Rembrandt portraits. We have always had a copy of this on in our living room. Or maybe we have the original and the museum's is a copy. Yes, I think that is it.

      Here are self portraits of Rembrandt and van Gogh (both early in their careers). van Gogh was emulating the style of Rembrandt. Both painters had tragic endings.

      Here we have an epic assumption by El Greco. Paintings by El Greco almost look modern even though they are 1440 years old. Mrs OMO in shown for scale.

      I'm a sucker for early Flemish Renaissance paintings. I will only burden you with a couple. On the second one, I think they were having a sale on cherubs at the dollar store.

      I also like middle to late Italian Renaissance. A BVM with Jesus and John the Baptist as babies was a popular theme. Botticelli's style is very distinctive - easy to spot. The Correggio was also stunning. Notice that Mary is always wearing red and blue. The Blue is a pigment called Ultramarine which is made from Lapis Lazuli which comes from a single mine in Afghanistan.


      They are particularly famous for their Impressionist collection. The late ballet dancer pastels by Degas are my favorites. Mrs OMO loves this Renoir. And everyone comes to see "A Sunday on La Grande Jatte" by Seurat. It is huge -fills a whole wall. Why is the woman taking her monkey for a walk on a leash?


      If you were to make a short list of most famous American Paintings, these two would be on it. Here you can stand in one place and see them both at the same time - Night Hawks by Hopper and American Gothic by Wood. BTW, the man is Wood's dentist and the woman is his sister.

      One last bit of trivia. The famous US Route 66 started at the front steps of the Art Institute. We walked the first 0.3 miles to get to lunch at the Burghoff, an iconic 120 year old German restaurant.
    • odd man out wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      When I read Rembrandt, I immediately think of the Rembrandt letters in Silver Streak. :)
      Probably Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder's best together.
      And that trip ended in spectacular fashion just a few blocks from the Art Institute. Wilder may have the only blackface scene that can be shown today without ccontroversy
      And that is probably because he is dead.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General