Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

• I figured it was time for my monthly check in. I still haven't managed to fully kick this horrendous chest cough. I've narrowed down the culprit to the local Walmart. My job requires me to be in and out of various stores in the area on a daily or weekly basis. I can go anywhere with the exception of Walmart and I'm fine. Every time I go in that store I leave with what the employees there have dubbed "the Walmart Funk". I'm going on about two months now of being sick off and on.

ANYWAY, with that said, the point of this post was the laugh at myself a little for how quickly I lost my hiking/walking legs and lungs due to being relatively inactive. My husband and I went to a local park over the weekend to play a round of disc golf and then I decided we should make a quick lap around the gravel track at the bottom half of the park. All was well and good until I had to walk back up the 50ft hill to get back to my car. Seriously....50ft and I was breathing like I had just completed a marathon. So, I took a short walk but it surely wasn't my best.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Ewok11 wrote:

I figured it was time for my monthly check in. I still haven't managed to fully kick this horrendous chest cough. I've narrowed down the culprit to the local Walmart. My job requires me to be in and out of various stores in the area on a daily or weekly basis. I can go anywhere with the exception of Walmart and I'm fine. Every time I go in that store I leave with what the employees there have dubbed "the Walmart Funk". I'm going on about two months now of being sick off and on.

ANYWAY, with that said, the point of this post was the laugh at myself a little for how quickly I lost my hiking/walking legs and lungs due to being relatively inactive. My husband and I went to a local park over the weekend to play a round of disc golf and then I decided we should make a quick lap around the gravel track at the bottom half of the park. All was well and good until I had to walk back up the 50ft hill to get back to my car. Seriously....50ft and I was breathing like I had just completed a marathon. So, I took a short walk but it surely wasn't my best.
      Might want to get the cough checked, one of my teacher friends was just diagnosed with TB.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Ewok11 wrote:

I figured it was time for my monthly check in. I still haven't managed to fully kick this horrendous chest cough. I've narrowed down the culprit to the local Walmart. My job requires me to be in and out of various stores in the area on a daily or weekly basis. I can go anywhere with the exception of Walmart and I'm fine. Every time I go in that store I leave with what the employees there have dubbed "the Walmart Funk". I'm going on about two months now of being sick off and on.

I’d ask that an investigation take place in to why so many are getting sick, somethings not right, could be faulty heating cooling system, it happens. Be well Ewok.
    • Dan76 wrote:

Ewok11 wrote:

Might want to get the cough checked, one of my teacher friends was just diagnosed with TB.
      I know someone who had T.B. a bunch of us had to be tested, luckily no one else had contracted it.
    • Jake Ace wrote:

Ewok11 wrote:

I’d ask that an investigation take place in to why so many are getting sick, somethings not right, could be faulty heating cooling system, it happens. Be well Ewok.
      sick building syndrome, maybe off gassing something bad or something you're allergic too. Maybe used some cheap Chinese building products - my apologies to any Chinese out there but there have been issues with products made in China.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Not today, but me, Kathy, and our dog Tora took a walk this past Saturday.
      We went up to Harriman State Park and parked on the east side at the Diltz (sp?) Road trailhead parking lot.
      We arrived about 10:30, changed our shoes, adjusted our clothing, and hoisted our packs by about 10:50.
      From there we walked north until we got to File Factory Hollow and headed west.
      About 3/4 of the way along the hollow we left the trail and bushwacked to a woods road that I can't remember the name of and headed northish.
      We went around second reservoir and headed up to Big Hill shelter.
      We stopped there for lunch and met 3 young people on their very first over-nighter.
      They told us that it had been in the 20s over night and that they were not prepared for the cold.
      We encouraged them not to give up but to use this trip as a learning experience and they said they'd stay another night.
      After lunch it was the SBM and then the TMI trails, past what I think was third reservoir and back to the car.
      While some of the creeks had water, some didn't, and the reservoirs seemed pretty low.
      The weather was cool but not cold and the sky become overcast as the day wore on.
      It was about 3:30 when we got back to the car after having covered 6-7 or so miles, I'd have to check the map to be sure.

Then we drove to NJ and paid a visit to Campmor.
      We browsed through the whole store and neither of us found anything we just had to have and left empty handed.
      It was surprising how few people were in the store, you'd never know it was the Christmas shopping season.
      I hope they were getting a lot of on-line orders because there wasn't much merchandise going through the store check outs.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Then we drove to NJ and paid a visit to Campmor.
      We browsed through the whole store and neither of us found anything we just had to have and left empty handed.
      It was surprising how few people were in the store, you'd never know it was the Christmas shopping season.
      I hope they were getting a lot of on-line orders because there wasn't much merchandise going through the store check outs.
      Loved Campmor back in the day. Store visits were always kind of special due to size, variety and being able to touch and feel. Mostly, I ordered from their mail catalog then online, both personally and for the scouts. Now, I can't remember the last time I ordered from them. There are so many cottage online stores and other e-tailers more fitting for my needs. I do wish them well.
    • Thank you all for the concern. Luckily, I live with a medical provider, so I know that I just have a regular old cold that goes away and then comes back before my immune system has had a chance to recover. I think since we are in a fairly small town now it has less to do with circulation issues in Walmart and more to do with people congregating there and just being unsanitary. It doesn't help that one of the companies I broker for, owns a large portion of the cough and cold medicine brands. So, I get to go touch all the boxes and bottles that people have coughed and sneezed on.

Thankfully, I haven't had to be in that store as much in the last couple of weeks and my lungs have gotten a reprieve. I was able to shovel the cement like wet snow off my driveway yesterday without coughing or wheezing.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot