Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I took a 5 mile-ish to and back hike yesterday from Greenwood Lake area to Fitzgerald Falls. It was nice and wet!
      I ran into a thru-hiker, who claimed to be doing the entire trail and on his way to Maine. Young guy in his early 30's, said he started in April. He's only in NY now. I asked if he think he will make it to Katadhin before it shuts down and he seemed to think he will. He said he has taken a lot of zero days. I passed him as he was going very slow. His story seemed a bit fishy because he didnt seem to know what the "blue blazed" trails were for...He seemed very clean and not like the typical thru hiker you encounter come NY. I forgot to ask him his trail name...I wished him luck
      RIAP
    • Walked 15 miles round trip from Tellico Fish Hatchery to Whigg Meadow. It was an easy trail and a lot of fun. I had planned to hike the BMT up to the road then Whigg Ridge trail for the return trip but I was so close to Whigg Meadow I couldn't pass it up. It was supposed to be a mile down the road but my running watch showed 1.54. Whigg Meadow is so beautiful and peaceful. I hiked the BMT back down instead of Whigg Ridge. I have three blisters and my shoes are going in the garbage.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I know I am a broken record... but.... I use body glide on my feet and have never had a blister since I started using it. I lose toenails like crazy. But I have no issues with blisters. I never carry moleskin. I have no need for it. I know nothing about your shoes, but they might not be the issue.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

I know I am a broken record... but.... I use body glide on my feet and have never had a blister since I started using it. I lose toenails like crazy. But I have no issues with blisters. I never carry moleskin. I have no need for it. I know nothing about your shoes, but they might not be the issue.

You're right, I should try it on my feet. I just forget about it until it's too late. I'm happy to say that I have all my toenails right now although I'm sure it's temporary. ^^
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Walked 15 miles round trip from Tellico Fish Hatchery to Whigg Meadow. It was an easy trail and a lot of fun. I had planned to hike the BMT up to the road then Whigg Ridge trail for the return trip but I was so close to Whigg Meadow I couldn't pass it up. It was supposed to be a mile down the road but my running watch showed 1.54. Whigg Meadow is so beautiful and peaceful. I hiked the BMT back down instead of Whigg Ridge. I have three blisters and my shoes are going in the garbage.

That section from the hatchery to the meadow was really nice.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Walked 15 miles round trip from Tellico Fish Hatchery to Whigg Meadow. It was an easy trail and a lot of fun. I had planned to hike the BMT up to the road then Whigg Ridge trail for the return trip but I was so close to Whigg Meadow I couldn't pass it up. It was supposed to be a mile down the road but my running watch showed 1.54. Whigg Meadow is so beautiful and peaceful. I hiked the BMT back down instead of Whigg Ridge. I have three blisters and my shoes are going in the garbage.

aaah the green cove motel-the presidential suite!
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

aaah the green cove motel-the presidential suite!

The shower was nice. The free wifi was a bonus.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I decided to park at Unicoi Crest and hike 4 miles down to Whigg Meadow to finish that little section of the BMT. I was totally unprepared for the first mile of the trail. It was so overgrown, I had to bushwhack and many times I had to backtrack and search for blazes. I have never hiked on a trail like that and several times I nearly turned around. The only thing that kept me going was that I knew I wasn't lost. I could hear motorcycles on the road and planned to bushwhack down to the road if I had to. It took me an hour to hike one mile but after the first mile, the trail was easy to follow even though it was overgrown in places. I made it to Whigg Meadow, ate lunch, and headed back. At 1.7 miles, the trail crosses a parking lot next to the Cherohala Skyway so I decided to road walk back to the car...about 3 miles. I walked and jogged, listening closely for motorcycles and getting back in the grass when they passed. I counted 46 motorcycles and 8 cars. The wild flowers were amazing and I loved the little meadow at the Rock Quarry.

I wasn't able to buy new shoes so had to wear the old ones. I remembered to use Body Glide on my feet (thanks BirdBrain!) and didn't get blisters...of course, I didn't hike nearly as far as I did last week either.
    • It's not the same road but the Tail of the Dragon can be accessed via the Cherohala Skyway. The Skyway is really popular with motorcyclists. Three of the last four times that I've driven on the Skyway, I was passed by motorcyclists on blind curves. Once, there was a car coming in the opposite direction. Most of them drive safe but a few drive really fast. I was passed today by several that were probably going 70 in a 45. I was walking on one curve and there were fresh motorcycle tracks in the grass and the dirt was all churned up...it looked that there had been an accident.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I decided to park at Unicoi Crest and hike 4 miles down to Whigg Meadow to finish that little section of the BMT. I was totally unprepared for the first mile of the trail. It was so overgrown, I had to bushwhack and many times I had to backtrack and search for blazes. I have never hiked on a trail like that and several times I nearly turned around. The only thing that kept me going was that I knew I wasn't lost. I could hear motorcycles on the road and planned to bushwhack down to the road if I had to. It took me an hour to hike one mile but after the first mile, the trail was easy to follow even though it was overgrown in places. I made it to Whigg Meadow, ate lunch, and headed back. At 1.7 miles, the trail crosses a parking lot next to the Cherohala Skyway so I decided to road walk back to the car...about 3 miles. I walked and jogged, listening closely for motorcycles and getting back in the grass when they passed. I counted 46 motorcycles and 8 cars. The wild flowers were amazing and I loved the little meadow at the Rock Quarry.

I wasn't able to buy new shoes so had to wear the old ones. I remembered to use Body Glide on my feet (thanks BirdBrain!) and didn't get blisters...of course, I didn't hike nearly as far as I did last week either.

Must have grown some since HB did it back in the spring. I guess that is the tradeoff of a less hiked trail.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I decided to park at Unicoi Crest and hike 4 miles down to Whigg Meadow to finish that little section of the BMT. I was totally unprepared for the first mile of the trail. It was so overgrown, I had to bushwhack and many times I had to backtrack and search for blazes. I have never hiked on a trail like that and several times I nearly turned around. The only thing that kept me going was that I knew I wasn't lost. I could hear motorcycles on the road and planned to bushwhack down to the road if I had to. It took me an hour to hike one mile but after the first mile, the trail was easy to follow even though it was overgrown in places. I made it to Whigg Meadow, ate lunch, and headed back. At 1.7 miles, the trail crosses a parking lot next to the Cherohala Skyway so I decided to road walk back to the car...about 3 miles. I walked and jogged, listening closely for motorcycles and getting back in the grass when they passed. I counted 46 motorcycles and 8 cars. The wild flowers were amazing and I loved the little meadow at the Rock Quarry.

Must have grown some since HB did it back in the spring. I guess that is the tradeoff of a less hiked trail.

in early spring most of the trail was overgrown. there were sections i waded through leaves and brush knee deep, with blowdown typical in almost every section till the smokies.when i hiked the new yellow creek ridge trail with rasty, the trail was only flagged, still uncleared. it was fun.i got disoriented every now and then for a moment or two,lose the trail for a coupla yards , but never got lost.
      its all good
    • Did a 9 milish hike loop from Elf Pen in Harriman. Beautiful day ..here are some pictures
      Images
      • image.jpg

3.32 MB, 2,460×2,460, viewed 246 times
      • image.jpg

3.62 MB, 2,448×2,448, viewed 250 times
      • image.jpg

3.52 MB, 2,480×2,480, viewed 262 times
      • image.jpg

3.63 MB, 2,448×2,448, viewed 259 times
      RIAP
    • hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Wait....the 'Easy way' is just after the Squeezer....No???

TJ....'The hard way' is a rock scramble...........I have no idea what the 'easy way' looks like 8)

the easy way avoids the scramble. i find the scramble easier.

The easy way goes up a chute that was blocked by a big fallen tree when I was there in January with the group. Have the maintainers managed to remove the tree and clear the easy way again?

The still easier way is to turn right on the Arden-Surebridge (red triangle) and left on the NY Long Path (aqua) which rejoins the A-T above the Squeezer.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Wait....the 'Easy way' is just after the Squeezer....No???

TJ....'The hard way' is a rock scramble...........I have no idea what the 'easy way' looks like 8)

the easy way avoids the scramble. i find the scramble easier.

The easy way goes up a chute that was blocked by a big fallen tree when I was there in January with the group. Have the maintainers managed to remove the tree and clear the easy way again?

The still easier way is to turn right on the Arden-Surebridge (red triangle) and left on the NY Long Path (aqua) which rejoins the A-T above the Squeezer.

i dont know about the tree blockage. i havent gone that way in a long time
      its all good
    • The easy way is after the squeeze I've never gone the easy way. Going NoBo the scramble is after and up. Going SoBo the scramble is down and before the squeeze. I think the scramble is more difficult going SoBo ... I always "almost" fall and crack my head open ..... Maybe I should try the easy way
      RIAP
    • I found Bob Bald today ^^ . This time I took the easy/short way via trail 54. I found a spot on the bald, ate lunch, and practiced my map and compass skills. I saw a structure about 4 miles away as the crow flies so tried to figure out what it was. I used the compass to find N and it said the structure was SW. I know good and well the structure wasn't SW...it was in NC. ?( . I wore my new trail runners, La Sportiva Wildcats. They didn't work for me at all and I'm really disappointed. My feet are still hurting and I only hiked 7.5 miles. Despite the map frustration and the hurting feet, it was great to be out in the woods.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I found Bob Bald today ^^ . This time I took the easy/short way via trail 54. I found a spot on the bald, ate lunch, and practiced my map and compass skills. I saw a structure about 4 miles away as the crow flies so tried to figure out what it was. I used the compass to find N and it said the structure was SW. I know good and well the structure wasn't SW...it was in NC. ?( . I wore my new trail runners, La Sportiva Wildcats. They didn't work for me at all and I'm really disappointed. My feet are still hurting and I only hiked 7.5 miles. Despite the map frustration and the hurting feet, it was great to be out in the woods.

Even trail runners take a dozen miles to break in for me. My feet always hurt the first time.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I found Bob Bald today ^^ . This time I took the easy/short way via trail 54. I found a spot on the bald, ate lunch, and practiced my map and compass skills. I saw a structure about 4 miles away as the crow flies so tried to figure out what it was. I used the compass to find N and it said the structure was SW. I know good and well the structure wasn't SW...it was in NC. ?( . I wore my new trail runners, La Sportiva Wildcats. They didn't work for me at all and I'm really disappointed. My feet are still hurting and I only hiked 7.5 miles. Despite the map frustration and the hurting feet, it was great to be out in the woods.

Even trail runners take a dozen miles to break in for me. My feet always hurt the first time.

Same here. I'd say my feet probably hurt at least the first several hikes. Did you change the inserts out or use the factory ones? I'm not familiar with La Sportivas- some good shoes come with not so good inserts. Superfeet don't work for me I use those (forget the name) blue ones with arch support and the black cushion stuff on the bottom.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Same here. I'd say my feet probably hurt at least the first several hikes. Did you change the inserts out or use the factory ones? I'm not familiar with La Sportivas- some good shoes come with not so good inserts. Superfeet don't work for me I use those (forget the name) blue ones with arch support and the black cushion stuff on the bottom.

JJ, it's the factory inserts. I think I have some Superfeet, that's a good idea.
      I'm going to wear the shoes for a while and see how they do. They're really stiff, unlike my regular running shoes.
    • Actually took one Saturday on the AT. On the drive to Winding Stair Gap it was raining but stopped when I got there. Hiked up to Siler Bald, and could not see anything due to all of the fog. Started walling to Wayah Bald, but it started raining again. Figured if it was just going to keep raining and I was not going to see anything, I might as well head back and visit with my family since I was only going to be there two days. Of course on the drive back to my Dad's house it appeared the fog was lifting. Also a lot more red leaves on the roads. In the woods it seemed like more green, yellow, and brown with little red.

A good thing was I ran into over a dozen people, so great to see people out their hiking even if not ideal weather. Also ran into a Scout troop (I guess that would make more than 20 people counting them). Even though not the views I had hoped for, it was still great to get to go walking in the woods! And the AT always seems more special than the trails around here. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

If I want to get really lost I use a compass.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

As long as I get the right size I've never had a problem with trail runners on day one, the feet don't start hurting until they've been wet a couple of days and blisters develop. I met a hiker in Buena Vista that had made it from ME with no blisters until he got to VA, a couple of weeks of rainy weather gave him the worst case of blisters I've ever seen...couldn't find his feet for the blisters.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

As long as I get the right size I've never had a problem with trail runners on day one, the feet don't start hurting until they've been wet a couple of days and blisters develop. I met a hiker in Buena Vista that had made it from ME with no blisters until he got to VA, a couple of weeks of rainy weather gave him the worst case of blisters I've ever seen...couldn't find his feet for the blisters.

I never have found a good solution for keeping the skin on the feet healthy when you have to wear wet socks. I can't wear wool, even merino, next to my skin. So what works best of everything I've tried is to wear Darn Tough hiking socks over thin nylon or polyester dress socks. It works out OK if I can hike the stuff dry. But if I'm in conditions where I'm going to be sinking in mud, off and on, all day long, there just doesn't seem to be a solution other than duct taping the problem spots as they arise.

It might be easier if I were better at rock hopping. There are a lot of stream crossings where I unexpectedly put a foot in the water while my hiking partners nonchalantly skip on, dry-shod.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.