Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

4 miles. It is a start. Was going to do my 9 mile loop. Took a stroll with the wife instead. 9 miles tomorrow. It is training season.

Bonus points to you for going with your wife!

It went from the start of my training to a casual walk. When I do my 9 mile loop, my pace borders on a trot. Her legs are a bit shorter than mine and she can't keep up. When she said she wanted to go, I dropped the idea of training. It is all about priorities. She is a higher priority.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

Today was supposed to be one of the first really nice days of the year so I was planning to get out. But then the rain started prematurely. Now we're supposed to get a few inches tomorrow and Monday with flooding, then cold. Maybe next weekend. Until it the treadmill every night.
      2.gif

Did my 9 mile loop today. Saw an eagle fishing in the Androscoggin River. Right knee a little sore. Pads on feet are a little warm. Wore wrong socks. It is hard to watch people 15 years older and others 45 years younger running while I am walking. Last year I pushed too hard before my walk. I could barely walk a week before we left. I stopped all training and hoped for the best. I was running as much as I was walking. My right knee can't take the pounding anymore. I hate walking for exercise. I love running. I can't run because of the meniscus issues in my right knee.

So.... what am I going to do about my dilemma? I think I will go for a run tomorrow. gif.010
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

Did my 9 mile loop today. Saw an eagle fishing in the Androscoggin River. Right knee a little sore. Pads on feet are a little warm. Wore wrong socks. It is hard to watch people 15 years older and others 45 years younger running while I am walking. Last year I pushed too hard before my walk. I could barely walk a week before we left. I stopped all training and hoped for the best. I was running as much as I was walking. My right knee can't take the pounding anymore. I hate walking for exercise. I love running. I can't run because of the meniscus issues in my right knee.

So.... what am I going to do about my dilemma? I think I will go for a run tomorrow. gif.010

On the other hand, you can just enjoy the walk and the beauty around you. You will get there, when you get there. God has created a beautify world, just learn to enjoy it a slower pace.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

BirdBrain wrote:

How about bicycling? That is what I did after my first 200 AT miles gave me joint pain.

Things are pretty slow today at work, but tomorrow will be much busier.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does

stoviewander wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

How about bicycling? That is what I did after my first 200 AT miles gave me joint pain.

Things are pretty slow today at work, but tomorrow will be much busier.

Agree 100%. Bicycling is great for people with knee problems. If walking is boring, then mix it up and do intervals at different paces. The time will go by fast when you're mixing it up. Rest is as important as training. You don't gain anything by overtraining a week before an event, it's better to train lightly and rest. Don't stop trying, BB.
      Lost in the right direction.

odd man out wrote:

I'm planning a 70 mile AT hike in July. Now you have me worried I should plan some warm-up hikes. 30 minutes per night on the treadmill may not be enough.

i've learned over the years that if my first hike of the season is going to be 5 days or longer that i need to do some "warm up" hikes with a weighted pack.

but not for the cardio. for the hips. if i don't have some pack time then i get painful abrasions on my hips which makes it impossible to really tighten the hipbelt. same thing that HB is experiencing on his bmt hike that he mentions on another thread.
      2,000 miler
    • Re:Re: Re:Took a walk today

max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I'm planning a 70 mile AT hike in July. Now you have me worried I should plan some warm-up hikes. 30 minutes per night on the treadmill may not be enough.

i've learned over the years that if my first hike of the season is going to be 5 days or longer that i need to do some "warm up" hikes with a weighted pack.

but not for the cardio. for the hips. if i don't have some pack time then i get painful abrasions on my hips which makes it impossible to really tighten the hipbelt. same thing that HB is experiencing on his bmt hike that he mentions on another thread.

I tuck my shirt in which helps with the skin abrasions for me.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Took a walk today

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I tuck my shirt in which helps with the skin abrasions for me.

My problem is bruising on my right arm and shoulder from taking my pack off. The weight drags it down my arm and leaves bruises.
    • Re:Re: Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I took a 30 mi walk by myself. Now I'm eating McD's. :lol:

That's a heck of a days walk. I'm impressed. My farthest is only about 22. I tend to burn out at about 18 or 19.

It was over 3 days.

Well good for you. How about a trip report and some pics?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I took a 30 mi walk by myself. Now I'm eating McD's. :lol:

That's a heck of a days walk. I'm impressed. My farthest is only about 22. I tend to burn out at about 18 or 19.

It was over 3 days.

Well good for you. How about a trip report and some pics?

I will, probably tomorrow. I can't wait 'till then to tell y'all this story.

I had just started hiking when I saw a lady ahead of me with something walking next to her. It didn't walk like a dog and when I got close, saw it was a duck! It was waddling along behind her and sometimes it would walk next to her. She told me the duck's name was Herbert and was a female mallard. Herbert wasn't her first duck hiking buddy. She said they eventually get too big and hurt their feet on the trail.

[IMG:http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/pe4ezamu.jpg][IMG:http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/egy6u9ut.jpg]
    • Took a walk today

Herbert wasn't a very fast hiker, more of a leisurely stroller. The interesting lady said her last duck grew to weigh 8lbs. She said they sit down when they're tired and then she has to carry them. She said, "8 lbs. may not seem like a lot until you have to carry it." I think we can all relate to that.
    • Took a walk today

Took a walk today.
      Kathy and I introduced some friends to the Long Island Greenbelt Trail by hiking the northern 5 miles. We started out in a drizzle of rain and finished under clear blue skies, It was fun and they want to do another section. I think we'll go with them once a month until we get it done. The trail is about 32 miles but we'll probably skip the 2 mile road walk.
    • Took a walk today

At what point does taking a walk turn into hiking? I took a walk yesterday, about 8.5 miles/2000 feet elevation gain at the northern end of the Catskills (Huntersfield Mountain). Trying to get the season underway now that the ice is just about gone from the peaks. (There was none whatever on 3425-foot Huntersfield, although one of my friends reports that there were patches on 3610-foot North Dome.)

[IMG:https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/14041145525_30468b1db4_z.jpg]
      View from Huntersfield lean-to by ke9tv, on Flickr

I put up a few pictures (and, as usual, too many words) over at my blog.

Anyone want a whistle? I can run it through the dishwasher before I send it off. I found it lying in the trail.

[IMG:https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2915/14041240675_1b52076451.jpg]
      Safety whistle by ke9tv, on Flickr
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Took a walk today

AnotherKevin wrote:

At what point does taking a walk turn into hiking? I took a walk yesterday, about 8.5 miles/2000 feet elevation gain at the northern end of the Catskills (Huntersfield Mountain). Trying to get the season underway now that the ice is just about gone from the peaks. (There was none whatever on 3425-foot Huntersfield, although one of my friends reports that there were patches on 3610-foot North Dome.)

[IMG:https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/14041145525_30468b1db4_z.jpg]
      View from Huntersfield lean-to by ke9tv, on Flickr

I put up a few pictures (and, as usual, too many words) over at my blog.

Anyone want a whistle? I can run it through the dishwasher before I send it off. I found it lying in the trail.

[IMG:https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2915/14041240675_1b52076451.jpg]
      Safety whistle by ke9tv, on Flickr

I love your blog. I wish I were as knowledgable about the things I see in the woods. You mentioned using fungi as fuel, can you elaborate? Can you use all fungi as fuel?
    • Took a walk today

AnotherKevin wrote:

ke9tv, on Flickr

My best guess is a walk returns you back to the car.... I do it all the time..everything fits into your pockets..... water bottle, filter straw, white micro bic, a head lamp and of course a real knife.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

I love your blog. I wish I were as knowledgable about the things I see in the woods. You mentioned using fungi as fuel, can you elaborate? Can you use all fungi as fuel?

[IMG:https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7303/14061183433_67be2fb7ab_z.jpg]
      Tinder fungus by ke9tv, on Flickr

Most fungi are mostly water, totally useless for virtually anything. The specific fungus is amadou (Fomes fomentarius) and some similar species (some of which are closely allied, and others merely the product of convergent evolution). It's most often found on birch, but does infect other trees like the beech in the picture. It's not fuel, it's tinder. (The inner bark of the tree it's growing on is also usually highly resinous, another possible tinder source).

There's a nice video at ReWildU demonstrating the technique. My major WTF with the video is the way the guy is striking the firesteel right over his trouser leg. That's a good way to set your pants on fire, or at least melt little holes in them and singe the skin underneath.

The mushroom in the picture is still very much alive, and wouldn't be much use in starting a fire because they have to be dry. But where they're growing, you can almost always find a dead one like the one in the video.
    • Took a walk today

WiseOldOwl wrote:

My best guess is a walk returns you back to the car.... I do it all the time..everything fits into your pockets..... water bottle, filter straw, white micro bic, a head lamp and of course a real knife.

Hmm, it was a loop returning to the car, but I needed a day pack. Camera, tripod, lunch, rainsuit, puffy in case I got stuck somewhere, first aid kit, couple of litres of water. (Those mudholes might be safe if treated, but wouldn't taste very appealing.) And I was trashing out, so I wanted a place to lash on the garbage bag. So if I'd thrown another couple of meals and a sleeping bag in there and pulled in at the lean-to, that would have been hiking, while the same route with a pack three pounds lighter was a walk? Fair enough.
    • Took a walk today

AnotherKevin wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Hmm, it was a loop returning to the car, but I needed a day pack. Camera, tripod, lunch, rainsuit, puffy in case I got stuck somewhere, first aid kit, couple of litres of water. (Those mudholes might be safe if treated, but wouldn't taste very appealing.) And I was trashing out, so I wanted a place to lash on the garbage bag. So if I'd thrown another couple of meals and a sleeping bag in there and pulled in at the lean-to, that would have been hiking, while the same route with a pack three pounds lighter was a walk? Fair enough.

Y'all crack me up.