Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

    • max.patch wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      max.patch wrote:

      I'm going in a different direction with this post. :)

      I DIDN'T go on a walk today. Sore ankle. I had taken a walk the 23 previous days -- which is probably what gave me the sore ankle. Hopefully start a new streak tomorrow.
      Is that supposed to be some kind of Last Dance tribute. :D
      Nice reference. Took me a second...
      Hey at least you got it, being a basketball guy I thought you might appreciate it. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Having this past Monday off from work for Memorial Day Kathy and I decided to bust all the rules here in NY and do an overnighter on the AT. We even invited Kathy's sister on her second backpacking trip ever. We planned to start where the trail crosses South Mountain road and hike north. As we got close to the trailhead we saw that parking areas for trails in the area where signed as being closed and where dropped off. But there were cars parked along the sides off the roads despite the signs. We found the same at our chosen start point and finally drove to Graymoor and parked near where the trail crosses their property, on land under the jurisdiction of the NPS for the trail........more to come after work...
    • We set off northbound from Graymoor, at about 11:30AM, letting our 11 year old dog set the pace and Kathy's sister call for breaks. Kathy and I hadn't done this piece of trail in many years and it was like doing it for the first time. We were hoping to make it to the Dennytown Rd. camping area. As we walked we passed many other people, some out for the day and some out for the weekend. As we crossed Canapus Hill Road there was a historic marker saying this was a location that the Continental army camped during revolution and we saw the remaining stone foundation of their medical cabin. We went on a bit more before my sister-in-law said she couldn't go any farther. So we went off trail and set up camp. I think we had gone somewhere between 5 and 6 miles. It was a pleasant evening, except the women were getting bitten by no-see-ums a lot. I guess I'm not as tasty. We went into our tents after dinner and I soon fell asleep even though it was still light out. The next morning we awoke to a light rain and ate, then packed up camp. We retraced our steps from the day before. Again we saw a lot of people and even crossed paths with some thru hikers. Again we let our pace be set by the dog and breaks determined by the sister. We arrived back at the car in the afternoon. There we changed into clean clothes and had a relaxing ride home.
    • Went to Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary in the Huron Manistee NF. It's an easy 2 mile loop through the woods, along the lake, boardwalk over a bog, and by the ruins of an old farm. One of our favorite walks. Not a lot of flowers this time of year but did see a few pink lady slippers and yellow water lillies. Also saw a yellow warbler, sand hill crane, kingfisher, Oriole, Scarlet Tananger, and a baby deer, still with it's spots. Did not see mommy. Ate a picnic lunch at their picnic pavilion and used what must be the nicest outhouse I have ever seen. This loop is connected to the North Country Trail by a short side trail.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by odd man out ().

    • odd man out wrote:

      Went to Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary in the Huron Manistee NF. It's an easy 2 mile loop through the woods, along the lake, boardwalk over a big, and by the ruins of an old farm. One of our favorite walks. Not a lot of flowers this time of year but did see a few pink lady slippers and yellow water lillies. Also saw a yellow warbler, sand hill crane, kingfisher, Oriole, Scarlet Tananger, and a baby deer, still with it's spots. Did not see mommy. Ate a picnic lunch at their picnic pavilion and used what must be the nicest outhouse I have ever seen.
      Driving to park at the trailhead Friday I saw two deer pass in front of me, the little one still spots.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

      Went to Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary in the Huron Manistee NF. It's an easy 2 mile loop through the woods, along the lake, boardwalk over a big, and by the ruins of an old farm. One of our favorite walks. Not a lot of flowers this time of year but did see a few pink lady slippers and yellow water lillies. Also saw a yellow warbler, sand hill crane, kingfisher, Oriole, Scarlet Tananger, and a baby deer, still with it's spots. Did not see mommy. Ate a picnic lunch at their picnic pavilion and used what must be the nicest outhouse I have ever seen.
      That is a good day of birding OMO, never had the pleasure of seeing a sandhill crane.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


      John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Kathy and I spent Saturday doing 12.6 miles in NY's Fahnstock state park. The only wildlife we saw, other than chipmonks and ticks was a large Heron. There's a lot more to the park that we didn't see, so I suspect se'll be going back once we get a new map of the place. The one we have now is 6 years old and it seems they've added some trails.
    • Did 8.8 miles at LBJ National Grasslands. Look up Tadra Point, I'm hiking SE of that area. Had a great day. Until I had the dog off the leash starting around mile 7.5. Around mile 8, he took off on me. Vanished down into some woods. I called him. After a few minutes, I walked over. He popped up while I was walking, then vanished! I got over there to find that the small scrub trees, were actually the TOPS of trees. We were up on a plateau and he'd run down the cliff. Chasing DEER! One flushed up near me. After 10 minutes, the exhausted dog was climbing the cliff back to me. Took about 20 minute to go the 1/4 mile back to the truck because I let him rest, then found a few inches of water for him to collapse into. Might be my last hike up there. It's getting HOT in Texas now! We hiked from 10 AM until 2 PM.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

      Did 8.8 miles at LBJ National Grasslands. Look up Tadra Point, I'm hiking SE of that area. Had a great day. Until I had the dog off the leash starting around mile 7.5. Around mile 8, he took off on me. Vanished down into some woods. I called him. After a few minutes, I walked over. He popped up while I was walking, then vanished! I got over there to find that the small scrub trees, were actually the TOPS of trees. We were up on a plateau and he'd run down the cliff. Chasing DEER! One flushed up near me. After 10 minutes, the exhausted dog was climbing the cliff back to me. Took about 20 minute to go the 1/4 mile back to the truck because I let him rest, then found a few inches of water for him to collapse into. Might be my last hike up there. It's getting HOT in Texas now! We hiked from 10 AM until 2 PM.
      I had a dog that almost once caught a deer. Came back after a hoof to the ear. Not that deep, but she was shaking blood on you if you got too close to her. Fortunately saw the whole thing, so knew what was going on.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      rhjanes wrote:

      Did 8.8 miles at LBJ National Grasslands. Look up Tadra Point, I'm hiking SE of that area. Had a great day. Until I had the dog off the leash starting around mile 7.5. Around mile 8, he took off on me. Vanished down into some woods. I called him. After a few minutes, I walked over. He popped up while I was walking, then vanished! I got over there to find that the small scrub trees, were actually the TOPS of trees. We were up on a plateau and he'd run down the cliff. Chasing DEER! One flushed up near me. After 10 minutes, the exhausted dog was climbing the cliff back to me. Took about 20 minute to go the 1/4 mile back to the truck because I let him rest, then found a few inches of water for him to collapse into. Might be my last hike up there. It's getting HOT in Texas now! We hiked from 10 AM until 2 PM.
      I had a dog that almost once caught a deer. Came back after a hoof to the ear. Not that deep, but she was shaking blood on you if you got too close to her. Fortunately saw the whole thing, so knew what was going on.
      He's 95 pounds, part "Sled dog (Husky)". He has caught rabbits the three prior trips out to the grasslands. Took off, me yelling at him, (off leash, my fault but letting him run) and came back 5 or 10 minutes later, panting like crazy, blood in mouth, jowls, snout..... Last week he didn't get one. I had him leashed almost the entire time (except letting him jump in the old stock ponds, which he has memorized where they are). But we were walking along an exposed area, we'd had a ton of rain, he was hot, I saw a usually dry pond and said to him "pond" which signals him to the pond. What I didn't see (but he sure did) was....RABBIT!!! I wasn't "braced for impact" when he went from a walk to CHASE. His 95 pounds yanked my 220 to the ground HARD. He looked at me like "wHAT! That was a RABBIT!". Our daughter had him for his first 5 years and said when they would hunt, he'd track the deer if they didn't take it down with the first shot.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

      Did 8.8 miles at LBJ National Grasslands. Look up Tadra Point, I'm hiking SE of that area. Had a great day. Until I had the dog off the leash starting around mile 7.5. Around mile 8, he took off on me. Vanished down into some woods. I called him. After a few minutes, I walked over. He popped up while I was walking, then vanished! I got over there to find that the small scrub trees, were actually the TOPS of trees. We were up on a plateau and he'd run down the cliff. Chasing DEER! One flushed up near me. After 10 minutes, the exhausted dog was climbing the cliff back to me. Took about 20 minute to go the 1/4 mile back to the truck because I let him rest, then found a few inches of water for him to collapse into. Might be my last hike up there. It's getting HOT in Texas now! We hiked from 10 AM until 2 PM.
      That's the main reason we always keep our dog on a leash. She's tried to chase every kind of animal except a moose. I guess she knew better than to chase it the day a moose walked right past us. We use a 20 foot long retractable leash that can be locked at any length. That way she can roam a bit and we always know where she is.
    • Our Corgi caught a rabbit in the back yard, but have never had him chase anything on a walk in the woods. We always have a leash on him but if we are in an area with no people around we will drop the leash. He will run ahead a few yards but always stays on the trail and constantly looks back to keep track of us. He mostly wants to stay with you. That's one advantage of herding breeds. He is herding us so he is not going to let us get away.