Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I'm going in a different direction with this post. :)

I DIDN'T go on a walk today. Sore ankle. I had taken a walk the 23 previous days -- which is probably what gave me the sore ankle. Hopefully start a new streak tomorrow.
      Is that supposed to be some kind of Last Dance tribute. :D
      Nice reference. Took me a second...
      Hey at least you got it, being a basketball guy I thought you might appreciate it. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Having this past Monday off from work for Memorial Day Kathy and I decided to bust all the rules here in NY and do an overnighter on the AT. We even invited Kathy's sister on her second backpacking trip ever. We planned to start where the trail crosses South Mountain road and hike north. As we got close to the trailhead we saw that parking areas for trails in the area where signed as being closed and where dropped off. But there were cars parked along the sides off the roads despite the signs. We found the same at our chosen start point and finally drove to Graymoor and parked near where the trail crosses their property, on land under the jurisdiction of the NPS for the trail........more to come after work...
    • We set off northbound from Graymoor, at about 11:30AM, letting our 11 year old dog set the pace and Kathy's sister call for breaks. Kathy and I hadn't done this piece of trail in many years and it was like doing it for the first time. We were hoping to make it to the Dennytown Rd. camping area. As we walked we passed many other people, some out for the day and some out for the weekend. As we crossed Canapus Hill Road there was a historic marker saying this was a location that the Continental army camped during revolution and we saw the remaining stone foundation of their medical cabin. We went on a bit more before my sister-in-law said she couldn't go any farther. So we went off trail and set up camp. I think we had gone somewhere between 5 and 6 miles. It was a pleasant evening, except the women were getting bitten by no-see-ums a lot. I guess I'm not as tasty. We went into our tents after dinner and I soon fell asleep even though it was still light out. The next morning we awoke to a light rain and ate, then packed up camp. We retraced our steps from the day before. Again we saw a lot of people and even crossed paths with some thru hikers. Again we let our pace be set by the dog and breaks determined by the sister. We arrived back at the car in the afternoon. There we changed into clean clothes and had a relaxing ride home.
    • Went to Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary in the Huron Manistee NF. It's an easy 2 mile loop through the woods, along the lake, boardwalk over a bog, and by the ruins of an old farm. One of our favorite walks. Not a lot of flowers this time of year but did see a few pink lady slippers and yellow water lillies. Also saw a yellow warbler, sand hill crane, kingfisher, Oriole, Scarlet Tananger, and a baby deer, still with it's spots. Did not see mommy. Ate a picnic lunch at their picnic pavilion and used what must be the nicest outhouse I have ever seen. This loop is connected to the North Country Trail by a short side trail.

The post was edited 2 times, last by odd man out ().

• odd man out wrote:

Went to Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary in the Huron Manistee NF. It's an easy 2 mile loop through the woods, along the lake, boardwalk over a big, and by the ruins of an old farm. One of our favorite walks. Not a lot of flowers this time of year but did see a few pink lady slippers and yellow water lillies. Also saw a yellow warbler, sand hill crane, kingfisher, Oriole, Scarlet Tananger, and a baby deer, still with it's spots. Did not see mommy. Ate a picnic lunch at their picnic pavilion and used what must be the nicest outhouse I have ever seen.
      Driving to park at the trailhead Friday I saw two deer pass in front of me, the little one still spots.
    • odd man out wrote:

Went to Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary in the Huron Manistee NF. It's an easy 2 mile loop through the woods, along the lake, boardwalk over a big, and by the ruins of an old farm. One of our favorite walks. Not a lot of flowers this time of year but did see a few pink lady slippers and yellow water lillies. Also saw a yellow warbler, sand hill crane, kingfisher, Oriole, Scarlet Tananger, and a baby deer, still with it's spots. Did not see mommy. Ate a picnic lunch at their picnic pavilion and used what must be the nicest outhouse I have ever seen.
      That is a good day of birding OMO, never had the pleasure of seeing a sandhill crane.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Kathy and I spent Saturday doing 12.6 miles in NY's Fahnstock state park. The only wildlife we saw, other than chipmonks and ticks was a large Heron. There's a lot more to the park that we didn't see, so I suspect se'll be going back once we get a new map of the place. The one we have now is 6 years old and it seems they've added some trails.
    • Did 8.8 miles at LBJ National Grasslands. Look up Tadra Point, I'm hiking SE of that area. Had a great day. Until I had the dog off the leash starting around mile 7.5. Around mile 8, he took off on me. Vanished down into some woods. I called him. After a few minutes, I walked over. He popped up while I was walking, then vanished! I got over there to find that the small scrub trees, were actually the TOPS of trees. We were up on a plateau and he'd run down the cliff. Chasing DEER! One flushed up near me. After 10 minutes, the exhausted dog was climbing the cliff back to me. Took about 20 minute to go the 1/4 mile back to the truck because I let him rest, then found a few inches of water for him to collapse into. Might be my last hike up there. It's getting HOT in Texas now! We hiked from 10 AM until 2 PM.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

Did 8.8 miles at LBJ National Grasslands. Look up Tadra Point, I'm hiking SE of that area. Had a great day. Until I had the dog off the leash starting around mile 7.5. Around mile 8, he took off on me. Vanished down into some woods. I called him. After a few minutes, I walked over. He popped up while I was walking, then vanished! I got over there to find that the small scrub trees, were actually the TOPS of trees. We were up on a plateau and he'd run down the cliff. Chasing DEER! One flushed up near me. After 10 minutes, the exhausted dog was climbing the cliff back to me. Took about 20 minute to go the 1/4 mile back to the truck because I let him rest, then found a few inches of water for him to collapse into. Might be my last hike up there. It's getting HOT in Texas now! We hiked from 10 AM until 2 PM.
      I had a dog that almost once caught a deer. Came back after a hoof to the ear. Not that deep, but she was shaking blood on you if you got too close to her. Fortunately saw the whole thing, so knew what was going on.
    • Astro wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Did 8.8 miles at LBJ National Grasslands. Look up Tadra Point, I'm hiking SE of that area. Had a great day. Until I had the dog off the leash starting around mile 7.5. Around mile 8, he took off on me. Vanished down into some woods. I called him. After a few minutes, I walked over. He popped up while I was walking, then vanished! I got over there to find that the small scrub trees, were actually the TOPS of trees. We were up on a plateau and he'd run down the cliff. Chasing DEER! One flushed up near me. After 10 minutes, the exhausted dog was climbing the cliff back to me. Took about 20 minute to go the 1/4 mile back to the truck because I let him rest, then found a few inches of water for him to collapse into. Might be my last hike up there. It's getting HOT in Texas now! We hiked from 10 AM until 2 PM.
      I had a dog that almost once caught a deer. Came back after a hoof to the ear. Not that deep, but she was shaking blood on you if you got too close to her. Fortunately saw the whole thing, so knew what was going on.
      He's 95 pounds, part "Sled dog (Husky)". He has caught rabbits the three prior trips out to the grasslands. Took off, me yelling at him, (off leash, my fault but letting him run) and came back 5 or 10 minutes later, panting like crazy, blood in mouth, jowls, snout..... Last week he didn't get one. I had him leashed almost the entire time (except letting him jump in the old stock ponds, which he has memorized where they are). But we were walking along an exposed area, we'd had a ton of rain, he was hot, I saw a usually dry pond and said to him "pond" which signals him to the pond. What I didn't see (but he sure did) was....RABBIT!!! I wasn't "braced for impact" when he went from a walk to CHASE. His 95 pounds yanked my 220 to the ground HARD. He looked at me like "wHAT! That was a RABBIT!". Our daughter had him for his first 5 years and said when they would hunt, he'd track the deer if they didn't take it down with the first shot.
    • rhjanes wrote:

That's the main reason we always keep our dog on a leash. She's tried to chase every kind of animal except a moose. I guess she knew better than to chase it the day a moose walked right past us. We use a 20 foot long retractable leash that can be locked at any length. That way she can roam a bit and we always know where she is.
    • Our Corgi caught a rabbit in the back yard, but have never had him chase anything on a walk in the woods. We always have a leash on him but if we are in an area with no people around we will drop the leash. He will run ahead a few yards but always stays on the trail and constantly looks back to keep track of us. He mostly wants to stay with you. That's one advantage of herding breeds. He is herding us so he is not going to let us get away.
    • This past weekend found us in Sterling Forest State Park, yet again. It was a beautiful day with near perfect weather. The trails were well marked and in good shape. Kathy's sister joined us and we all had a good time solving all the world's problems as we chatted. We didn't see any wild life to speak off, that was a bit disappointing because this is the area that Kathy and I had our first, and only, bear sighting. We covered a bit over 9 miles for the day. All in all it was a great day. :)

For next week me and Kathy are considering an overnighter in New York's Catskill mountains. We'll make that decision closer to the weekend.
    • It's good to see that some on us on a hiking site are actually able to get out and do some safe day hikes.

13 weeks ago, when everything closed here, I decided to walk around the neighborhood on a regular basis. I set a goal of a minimum of 20 miles a week, and while that is admittedly a low bar to hurdle, I've made it every week so far. Not driving to a trailhead certainly reduces the time commitment. Got to meet a lot of my neighbors in the process.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

It's good to see that some on us on a hiking site are actually able to get out and do some safe day hikes.

13 weeks ago, when everything closed here, I decided to walk around the neighborhood on a regular basis. I set a goal of a minimum of 20 miles a week, and while that is admittedly a low bar to hurdle, I've made it every week so far. Not driving to a trailhead certainly reduces the time commitment. Got to meet a lot of my neighbors in the process.
      You get to meet even more if you have your pack on.
      That is once they figure out you are not a homeless person. :)
    • max.patch wrote:

It's good to see that some on us on a hiking site are actually able to get out and do some safe day hikes.

I've be walking around the neighborhood for 1 to 1.5 hr per night at 3.5 mph for the last week. Should have started earlier but if the weather isnt crappy, I've been beat doing yard work.
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I've be walking around the neighborhood for 1. to 1.5 hr per night at 3.5 mph for the last week. Should have started earlier but if the weather isnt crappy, I've been beat doing yard work.
      I have to say, at 3.5 mph I'm impressed. That's faster than I walk even on flat ground......I think.
    • odd man out wrote:

I've be walking around the neighborhood for 1 to 1.5 hr per night at 3.5 mph for the last week. Should have started earlier but if the weather isnt crappy, I've been beat doing yard work.
      We walk at the same pace. "Most" of my walks are 4 miles so I'm usually out for a bit longer than an hour. Last night was a cooler than usual for some reason so I did 6 miles. Although I felt it prudent to take an Aleve when I finished. :(
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

We walk at the same pace. "Most" of my walks are 4 miles so I'm usually out for a bit longer than an hour. Last night was a cooler than usual for some reason so I did 6 miles. Although I felt it prudent to take an Aleve when I finished. :(
      I use Google maps to measure my routes. I was a little slow tonight - 3.1 miles north n 1 he. Stopped for a few water brraks. Started using my poles but am wearing out my rubber tips in just a few days. Don't need them as walking aids on flat paved surfaces. But as the temp goes up, I have trouble with my hands swelling. Poles keep the hands elevated and gripping grips keeps things circulating. Seem to be developing circulation issues as I get older. Blood tests don't show any obvious reason, except maybe low B12. Probably genetic. Dad has the same problem.
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I use Google maps to measure my routes. I was a little slow tonight - 3.1 miles north n 1 he. Stopped for a few water brraks. Started using my poles but am wearing out my rubber tips in just a few days. Don't need them as walking aids on flat paved surfaces. But as the temp goes up, I have trouble with my hands swelling. Poles keep the hands elevated and gripping grips keeps things circulating. Seem to be developing circulation issues as I get older. Blood tests don't show any obvious reason, except maybe low B12. Probably genetic. Dad has the same problem.
      I use MapMyRun (Free). There used to be several apps (MapMyBike, MapMyCanoe....MapMyCrawl) but they just changed to the one and you set a switch to what you are doing. Doesn't really matter, it's just tracking you and distance off GPS.
      My hands also swell! I have to go about 4+ miles with no poles before I notice it. Doesn't hurt or anything. Poles keep it away, not sure if it is elevation of them, moving the or the combination.
    • rhjanes wrote:

odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I use MapMyRun (Free). There used to be several apps (MapMyBike, MapMyCanoe....MapMyCrawl) but they just changed to the one and you set a switch to what you are doing. Doesn't really matter, it's just tracking you and distance off GPS.My hands also swell! I have to go about 4+ miles with no poles before I notice it. Doesn't hurt or anything. Poles keep it away, not sure if it is elevation of them, moving the or the combination.
      I had MapMyHike on my old phone, for some reason I didn't add it to my new phone. Probably around the time when I first hurt my back and I wasn't able to hike at all. It was very accurate; much more accurate than my FitBit. The FitBit uses the phones GPS, but there must be some type of occasional glitch as the results are not near as accurate as MapMyHike was. I probably ought to add that again. (Although I suppose it's possible the problem could be with my current phones GPS and not the transfer to FitBit.)

I never thot of using Google Maps. That's a good idea when urban hiking.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 3 times, last by max.patch ().

• Hiked about 9 miles today in Frozen Head State Park. It was a great hike, one of the best I’ve done in that park...challenging, rewarding, and peaceful. The weather was amazing, temps were 60’s and 70’s with a nice breeze. What a lovely day.

My blisters from the FHT now have blisters. Again, the problem is my foot with the bunion. I always get a bad blister where my big toe is forced into the next toe and overlaps it a little. Powders and antichafe creams aren’t working.
      Images
      • 07F00186-369D-43FE-B238-3F63D24E4898.jpeg

436.03 kB, 800×600, viewed 229 times
      • 869D506A-D0E5-42C0-BC0E-075D775BE3B2.jpeg

332.37 kB, 800×600, viewed 224 times
      • BD7AF44C-D113-41E5-9A70-F6A634B18139.jpeg

417.85 kB, 800×600, viewed 222 times
      • 9031FC79-2451-44DD-BDE5-C50D3113C1A0.jpeg

411.32 kB, 800×600, viewed 221 times
      • 52381829-0A6F-49B8-BEDB-F26FE6A5C4E1.jpeg

325.13 kB, 800×600, viewed 216 times
      • 3757F017-C440-48E6-903D-D42F2230850B.jpeg

436.61 kB, 800×600, viewed 212 times
      • EE2AC284-27EC-4C0F-8FE4-A71B0326C6DD.jpeg

239.73 kB, 449×600, viewed 212 times
      • DA675F24-4698-41E6-8A4F-0FAF49852043.jpeg

452.49 kB, 800×600, viewed 226 times
      • E522CE35-B421-4EC5-8C10-890A5527EF49.jpeg

410.62 kB, 800×600, viewed 213 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • rhjanes wrote:

odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I use MapMyRun (Free). There used to be several apps (MapMyBike, MapMyCanoe....MapMyCrawl) but they just changed to the one and you set a switch to what you are doing. Doesn't really matter, it's just tracking you and distance off GPS.My hands also swell! I have to go about 4+ miles with no poles before I notice it. Doesn't hurt or anything. Poles keep it away, not sure if it is elevation of them, moving the or the ccombinati
      Just downloaded Map My Run. Might try it. Do you know if it requires mobile data or wifi service to work?
    • odd man out wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I use MapMyRun (Free). There used to be several apps (MapMyBike, MapMyCanoe....MapMyCrawl) but they just changed to the one and you set a switch to what you are doing. Doesn't really matter, it's just tracking you and distance off GPS.My hands also swell! I have to go about 4+ miles with no poles before I notice it. Doesn't hurt or anything. Poles keep it away, not sure if it is elevation of them, moving the or the ccombinati
      Just downloaded Map My Run. Might try it. Do you know if it requires mobile data or wifi service to work?
      Note sure. I'll tell you this, I've turned on Air-Plane mode out in the boonies, and run it and gotten a track of my miles. I've run it like that for 8 to 10 hours of hiking and tracking and the battery still has juice. So that says "GPS". But when I use it locally, I don't set to Air Plane. Out at LBJ National Grasslands, I also don't set to Air Plane and something chews up the battery, going from 100 percent to 30 in 3 or 4 hours of hiking. But I have several Apps open (social media, emails) so those might eat the battery out there trying to find cell towers (where you are lucky to have 1 bar).
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Getting ready for my almost daily walk around the neighborhood.

I probably should keep my clothes on.
      Not that I would recommend Lady Gaga for fashion advice, but evidently pants are optional. :rolleyes:
      www-yahoo-com.cdn.ampproject.o…pants-iced-193600933.html
      I noticed she had pink shoes to match her pink sweatshirt, perhaps she couldn't find her pink pants and just needed that caffeine fix. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Getting ready for my almost daily walk around the neighborhood.

I probably should keep my clothes on.
      Not that I would recommend Lady Gaga for fashion advice, but evidently pants are optional. :rolleyes: www-yahoo-com.cdn.ampproject.o…pants-iced-193600933.html
      I noticed she had pink shoes to match her pink sweatshirt, perhaps she couldn't find her pink pants and just needed that caffeine fix. :)
      That's usually a good sign when you have a date and she shows up pantless. :)
      2,000 miler
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Hiked about 9 miles today in Frozen Head State Park. It was a great hike, one of the best I’ve done in that park...challenging, rewarding, and peaceful. The weather was amazing, temps were 60’s and 70’s with a nice breeze. What a lovely day.

My blisters from the FHT now have blisters. Again, the problem is my foot with the bunion. I always get a bad blister where my big toe is forced into the next toe and overlaps it a little. Powders and antichafe creams aren’t working.
      TJ...Toe socks would help the blister issue.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Hiked about 9 miles today in Frozen Head State Park. It was a great hike, one of the best I’ve done in that park...challenging, rewarding, and peaceful. The weather was amazing, temps were 60’s and 70’s with a nice breeze. What a lovely day.

Good suggestion. My Dad had blister problems between his toes and Injinji socks solved the problem.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Good suggestion. My Dad had blister problems between his toes and Injinji socks solved the problem.
      Actually...new socks arrived today. They aren’t toe socks per se but more cloven hoof with a little extra padding around the parts that need it. Thank you for the suggestions and for giving me hope that this may work. Fingers crossed.
    • IMScotty wrote:

Toe socks feel sort of creepy to me.
      When I have had problems, I have used these with some success...

amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQLCQ…_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      At least you could probably get a shoe over those. Down the page are Yoga Toes, which I guess you would have to go barefoot with.
    • My pics won’t load for some reason, trying again.
      Images
      • 5851D0CC-20F7-45DF-8B0B-59D21CDB2161.jpeg

336.03 kB, 800×600, viewed 119 times
      • 7EAF409C-3DD9-4BF6-A04A-4053F71AA58A.jpeg

275.62 kB, 494×600, viewed 152 times
      • 552FE157-17B0-48B6-8E3B-06B0A74423EC.jpeg

395.93 kB, 800×600, viewed 137 times
      • 654B2E96-14C2-4624-82BE-BB56B3AC028F.jpeg

411.79 kB, 800×600, viewed 141 times
      • 47BB5474-3BD6-4D21-BADE-5DE7923F674C.jpeg

277.28 kB, 800×600, viewed 127 times