Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Kathy and I took a walk, not today but yesterday.
      A few weeks back I posted about an overnighter that we did with a hike to a spot called Anthony's Nose.
      Anthony's Nose is on the east side of the Hudson River, just across from NY's Bear Mountain.
      Yesterday we went back to the Anthony's Nose area but hiked in from the opposite direction.
      We parked the car atthe old, historic toll house on route 202 and hiked north on the Camp Smith trail. Camp Smith is a New York state national guard training center that dated back to the 1850s. Our out and back hike totaled about 7 miles over hilly and very rocky terrain. The trail provided numerous good views of the river, Iona Island ( a nature preserve in the river ) and Bear Mountain across the river.
      The day started off in the 30s but the blustery wind made it feel like low 20s. Despite that I was working up a sweat because of the hills and was constantly adjusting my clothing to keep sweating to a minimum. As the day wore on the temperature went up and the wind went down. On the return trip to the car we stopped for a lunch break on a cliff overlooking the looking the river, watching some turkey vultures soaring on the updrafts the cliffs created. After lunch I found myself shedding clothes as the temperatures were in the high 40s or low 50s and almost no wind. One part of the trail, from a parking area up to Anthony's Nose was heavily used, but not too many folks on the rest of the trail. I suspect the hills and rocks would discourage the non-hikers that are just out to go up to Anthony's Nose. All in all a very enjoyable day in the woods away from life's normal stress and strains. :)
    • This will be the most boring report here...

Anyway, after having back issues and then a knee issue I've finally been hiking/walking on a regular basis. I decided to make it a goal, weather permitting, to walk every day this week.

With GPS and watch in hand (to double check the GPS accuracy) I determined that walking 3 times around my subdivision, doing every cul-de-sac, worked out to just a hair over 4 miles. So that was my goal. After doing that a few days I realized that walking that route every day would give me 28 miles -- so if I could add an extra mile a couple of times that would give me an even 30. So I was able to come up with a slightly different route around the neighborhood that was just a mile.

So this week I walked around my neighborhood all 7 days for a total of 31 miles. I hurt my back 2.5 years ago and that's the most I've walked in a week since then.

I do my record keeping on a Mon-Sun week. I actually walked last weekend, so I've got a streak of 9 days in a row.

I very rarely walk around the neighborhood as I am 1.5 miles from either Kennesaw Mountain or the soccer field and go there instead.
      2,000 miler
    • No Max,

That is an exciting report....

exciting to hear you are out there walking and getting stronger. I am still being lazy here, at least in terms of walking. Instead today I worked on the taxes :(

I did get out for a little bit yesterday. I am curious to know if anyone knows what this scene is called...?

“Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

No Max,

That is an exciting report....

exciting to hear you are out there walking and getting stronger. I am still being lazy here, at least in terms of walking. Instead today I worked on the taxes :(

I did get out for a little bit yesterday. I am curious to know if anyone knows what this scene is called...?

No, but is sure looks peaceful and pleasant. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • IMScotty wrote:

It is in Rockport, MA.

It is called 'Motif #1' because all the local Rockport artists paint it at some point in their careers. It is / was supposedly the most painted building in America.

Here is Wikipedia's take on it...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motif_Number_1
      Thanks, who would have thought that hanging out with a bunch of backpackers would have helped remediate some of my cultural deficiency in art appreciation. ;)
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

My subdivision hooks up to a greenway with some hills. Two loops on the greenway gives me 3.5 mi and it’s easy to add more. I’m going to try to make it a habit to walk with my pack.
      Be prepared to get to know your neighbors a little better if you walk with your pack. A lot of curious ones will stop and ask you about it. Even been stopped by a few LEO over the past few years. :)
    • We got out for a walk this morning, before the rain started.
      We went to a local state park, and since they don't allow pets we had to leave our dog, Tora, at home.
      We arrived at 8:15 and there were already a lot of people there walking and bicycling.
      We got in about 5 miles under a solid overcast with a temperature of 47 degrees, and since the park borders Long Island Sound there was a breeze off the water.
      By the time we left there were a lot more people, I'm torn about hoping all these people continue to frequent parks and trails after the virus problem and hoping they turn back to their old interests. After all, one of the reasons we go to the woods is for the peace and quiet.
      Here's a link to Caumsett State Historic Park Preserve, it used to be someones estate, amazing!
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

took a hike today...got proof
      I hope that means you fell on or in to something, and not that something attached you.
      I seem to always trip a lot but this hike set a record, bit the dust right off, should have taken a hiking pole, they have saved me untold times
      I can not imagine hiking without poles, especially when stumbling over roots and rocks. My balance was never that great, and definitely has not gotten any better as I roll through the late 50s. :)
    • Took a Walk Today... just a short one in Stoneham, MA.

This brooks runs through a small, pretty forest in the middle of a Boston suburb. Believe it of not in the late 1800's this was the site of some of the earliest Rubber factories in America. The forgotten village of 'Haywardville' made Rubber 'slickers' and other items. I'm betting that most people living in Stoneham now don't know about its history or have even ventured into these woods.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Took a Walk Today... just a short one in Stoneham, MA.

This brooks runs through a small, pretty forest in the middle of a Boston suburb. Believe it of not in the late 1800's this was the site of some of the earliest Rubber factories in America. The forgotten village of 'Haywardville' made Rubber 'slickers' and other items. I'm betting that most people living in Stoneham now don't know about its history or have even ventured into these woods.
      Wow, that is a whole lot more impressive than mine around the bike trail.
    • Kathy and I took a walk on Sunday. We did 6‐7 miles in a state park not too far away. It's dead flat but had nice views of a small river that feeds an old mill pond. Also past some artesian wells that at one time fed a fish hatchery. The land, and buildings usted to be a sportsman's club until 1963.
    • Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Took a Walk Today... just a short one in Stoneham, MA.

Wow, that is a whole lot more impressive than mine around the bike trail.
      I was thinking the same thing...that it would be nice to have something like that nearby. Then I realized this park is close. Admittedly, I didn’t walk but sat on a bench and enjoyed a cup of coffee when I needed to get out of the house yesterday.

Definitely not as impressive but enjoyable nonetheless.
      Images
      • 5D101AB3-E847-4B45-8027-B95674735A3E.jpeg

393.38 kB, 800×600, viewed 212 times
      • AC2BB746-A0BF-4596-855B-7F6FA51BCB25.jpeg

364.69 kB, 800×600, viewed 211 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Did about 7.2 miles of road walk today, found some better hills to add to my walk...the house has the view...I live on the other side of the tracks.
      Images
      • 20200419_110225.jpg

220.34 kB, 800×450, viewed 294 times
      • 20200419_110219.jpg

215.12 kB, 800×450, viewed 294 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Did about 7.2 miles of road walk today, found some better hills to add to my walk...the house has the view...I live on the other side of the tracks.
      This post got me thinking -- many of trails around me are closed, and the ones that are open (state parks) have too many people on them to hike safely. I think hiking forest service roads may be a good alternative. I just need to find out if there are any close enough to me -- and if they are -- are they open. Homework for next week. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Did about 7.2 miles of road walk today, found some better hills to add to my walk...the house has the view...I live on the other side of the tracks.
      This post got me thinking -- many of trails around me are closed, and the ones that are open (state parks) have too many people on them to hike safely. I think hiking forest service roads may be a good alternative. I just need to find out if there are any close enough to me -- and if they are -- are they open. Homework for next week. :)
      I always appreciate after going up and down mountains or over rocks when the trail switches to a Forrest Service or old logging road. You are still out in the woods, but a nice break. :)
    • max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I've been going out to LBJ National Grasslands, which is managed by the FS. They did close the campground areas. However the actual Grasslands (which is 50 percent forest in the area I hike) is open. They have a few gates they COULD close and have closed on weekends. I spoke with a man who lives just off the grasslands and is a volunteer and he said they are closing the gate to keep people from driving and camping in that primitive area, but only on weekends. Some of it is that they are tired of people driving out onto the plateau's and tearing up the grasslands instead of staying on the gravel pull offs the FS maintains. I was up on Wednesday and drove in, the only closed gates were the camping areas. Several other cars were also there. Plus horse trailers. Even with the gate closed, you can pull off the road and take off hiking. Now on weekends, it was BUSY. Lots of people driving around looking lost. Trying to figure out if they should pull their Eco-Econo-box off on the sand of the FS road and park near my F250 4X4 (sure, they wouldn't get stuck).
      So if I was planning a first-time trip to LBJ Grasslands, I'd just download the PDF of the horse trails the FS maintains. Pick a spot, drive up and park and head out on a hike.
      A buddy of mine has been up to one of the lakes and said the FS closed the camping area directly. But he pulled off on a turn-about, waved to the FS man driving by in a truck, hiked half a mile and set up camp. No issues at all beyond a wave from the FS man.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Kathy and I wanted to take a walk yesterday so we drove to a local state park. When we got there it was closed because it was full. I suppose they ment the parking areas were full. I've never seen that before at that park as it's kind of out of the way. I guess next time we'll have to try at the crack of dawn.
      We went for a leisurely bicycle ride instead and stopped at our son's place and spent a couple hours helping him with yard work.
    • I've got 90 pages of forest service road maps for Virginia. I'll be out exploring them soon. I read somewhere that there are more forest service roads than paved highways. Western and southwestern Virginia is covered with them.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I've got 90 pages of forest service road maps for Virginia. I'll be out exploring them soon. I read somewhere that there are more forest service roads than paved highways. Western and southwestern Virginia is covered with them.
      Souns like a great way to practice social distancing with all the "real trails" closed down. :thumbup:
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I've got 90 pages of forest service road maps for Virginia. I'll be out exploring them soon. I read somewhere that there are more forest service roads than paved highways. Western and southwestern Virginia is covered with them.
      I wish I had owned the old '95 jeep when I lived in Roanoke, two huge national forests nearby, could ride for days on logging roads.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.