Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Took a hike on the Mountains to Sea trail today. Well, not really a hike. My daughter lives in Wake Forest NC. We are visiting for the weekend. She lives about a mile from the Neuse River Greenway so we took the dog for a 20 min walk on the paved bike path. After I got home I found it is part of the MtS trail. We we're walking WeBo. Could have kept going to Clingmans Dome, but the dog was hot and our flight home leaves this afternoon. Along the trail I saw this plant growing. Looked and tasted a bit like dill. Does this grow wild down here?

Please be sure to post in another day or too, so we can confirm it was also safe to eat. :D
      PS Still alive.
      Good to know. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • i actually took a walk around my neighborhood today. with my bad lungs that constitutes a good day for me. lady who lives 2 doors down from me said, "so you're the mysterious man who lives in that house". think she was hitting on me! something for the neighbors to discuss i guess. it was a pleasant walk for me, seemed like everybody was out. the neighborhood is a nice mix of geezers, widows and families with kids. the pool was a bee-hive of activity, kids were having a blast. so did i.
    • Strolled around Annapolis this weekend. Brick sidewalks, salt air, outdoor seating at the bars & restaurants...

Crab & Artichoke Dip
      Crab Cake Sandwich
      Crabby Tater Tots
      Crab Oscar
      Crab Cake Eggs Benedict

Mmmmmmm... crabs.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Crawford Notch NH.
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Strolled around Annapolis this weekend. Brick sidewalks, salt air, outdoor seating at the bars & restaurants...

Crab & Artichoke Dip
      Crab Cake Sandwich
      Crabby Tater Tots
      Crab Oscar
      Crab Cake Eggs Benedict

Mmmmmmm... crabs.
      lady on the Wye River made the best crab cakes ever. she lived within sight of the chef boyardee founder's estate at the Narrows. spaghetti'Os for crab cakes?
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Strolled around Annapolis this weekend. Brick sidewalks, salt air, outdoor seating at the bars & restaurants...

Crab & Artichoke Dip
      Crab Cake Sandwich
      Crabby Tater Tots
      Crab Oscar
      Crab Cake Eggs Benedict

Mmmmmmm... ccrabs.
      I grew up in MD. Love Annapolis and crab. Coolest state capital building in the country. Best crab cakes I had we're on a sailboat on the Bay. Now that Southwest flies out our local airport we often are on their early AM flight to BWI to connect to other destinations. If the layover is long enough we have crabcakes for breakfast in the terminal.
    • Drybones wrote:

For me crab cakes are either great or terrible, no in between, you'd think the best would be from the new England area but the best I've had was years ago at a hole in the wall spot called the Blue Stone Inn outside Harrisonburg, VA.
      I too have learned to avoid ordering crab cakes outside if the Chesapeake Bay area. Too many disappointments. One exception was at Passionfish, a great seafood restaurant in Pacific Grove CA (on the Monterey Peninsula) where I had really good crab cakes.
    • Took a short hike up to Hightop Mountain. Place was packed and hard to find a spot because some unthoughtful hammockers chose to hang over the designated tent sites instead of using any of the other thousands of surrounding trees. After dinner I hiked back up the .6 mile for the sunset.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • New

Did 10 miles yesterday on the Pinhoti and Odum trails, forecast was for the 90's but overcast much of the time helped, Odum was hard to follow, overgrown, lot of rock sections, knew I would be about an hour ahead of the rest of the group so I would have to wait for my ride back to the truck, waited two hours and started walking the 15 miles back by road in heavy rain and high winds assuming the others were either lost or turned back, after walking a few miles a kind soul picked me up and took me to my truck, when I got back to the ending trailhead four ladies in the group had come out who had left the rest of the group early on and hiked ahead, about 15 minutes later two others made it out and said the rest of the group was a short ways back, a couple of the group just were not physically up to the hike...I headed home.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • New

Did 10 miles yesterday on the Pinhoti and Odum trails, forecast was for the 90's but overcast much of the time helped, Odum was hard to follow, overgrown, lot of rock sections, knew I would be about an hour ahead of the rest of the group so I would have to wait for my ride back to the truck, waited two hours and started walking the 15 miles back by road in heavy rain and high winds assuming the others were either lost or turned back, after walking a few miles a kind soul picked me up and took me to my truck, when I got back to the ending trailhead four ladies in the group had come out who had left the rest of the group early on and hiked ahead, about 15 minutes later two others made it out and said the rest of the group was a short ways back, a couple of the group just were not physically up to the hike...I headed home.
      Images
      • 600_482482634.jpeg

114.86 kB, 450×600, viewed 2 times
      • 600_482482796.jpeg

92.14 kB, 600×400, viewed 4 times
      • 600_482491154.jpeg

84.64 kB, 600×400, viewed 2 times
      • thumb_482480569.jpeg

1.92 kB, 60×80, viewed 12 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • New

Drybones wrote:

nice!

Good thing someone picked you up.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis