Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Took a hike on the Mountains to Sea trail today. Well, not really a hike. My daughter lives in Wake Forest NC. We are visiting for the weekend. She lives about a mile from the Neuse River Greenway so we took the dog for a 20 min walk on the paved bike path. After I got home I found it is part of the MtS trail. We we're walking WeBo. Could have kept going to Clingmans Dome, but the dog was hot and our flight home leaves this afternoon. Along the trail I saw this plant growing. Looked and tasted a bit like dill. Does this grow wild down here?

Please be sure to post in another day or too, so we can confirm it was also safe to eat. :D
      PS Still alive.
      Good to know. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • i actually took a walk around my neighborhood today. with my bad lungs that constitutes a good day for me. lady who lives 2 doors down from me said, "so you're the mysterious man who lives in that house". think she was hitting on me! something for the neighbors to discuss i guess. it was a pleasant walk for me, seemed like everybody was out. the neighborhood is a nice mix of geezers, widows and families with kids. the pool was a bee-hive of activity, kids were having a blast. so did i.
    • Strolled around Annapolis this weekend. Brick sidewalks, salt air, outdoor seating at the bars & restaurants...

Crab & Artichoke Dip
      Crab Cake Sandwich
      Crabby Tater Tots
      Crab Oscar
      Crab Cake Eggs Benedict

Mmmmmmm... crabs.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Strolled around Annapolis this weekend. Brick sidewalks, salt air, outdoor seating at the bars & restaurants...

Crab & Artichoke Dip
      Crab Cake Sandwich
      Crabby Tater Tots
      Crab Oscar
      Crab Cake Eggs Benedict

Mmmmmmm... crabs.
      lady on the Wye River made the best crab cakes ever. she lived within sight of the chef boyardee founder's estate at the Narrows. spaghetti'Os for crab cakes?
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Strolled around Annapolis this weekend. Brick sidewalks, salt air, outdoor seating at the bars & restaurants...

Crab & Artichoke Dip
      Crab Cake Sandwich
      Crabby Tater Tots
      Crab Oscar
      Crab Cake Eggs Benedict

Mmmmmmm... ccrabs.
      I grew up in MD. Love Annapolis and crab. Coolest state capital building in the country. Best crab cakes I had we're on a sailboat on the Bay. Now that Southwest flies out our local airport we often are on their early AM flight to BWI to connect to other destinations. If the layover is long enough we have crabcakes for breakfast in the terminal.
    • Drybones wrote:

For me crab cakes are either great or terrible, no in between, you'd think the best would be from the new England area but the best I've had was years ago at a hole in the wall spot called the Blue Stone Inn outside Harrisonburg, VA.
      I too have learned to avoid ordering crab cakes outside if the Chesapeake Bay area. Too many disappointments. One exception was at Passionfish, a great seafood restaurant in Pacific Grove CA (on the Monterey Peninsula) where I had really good crab cakes.
    • Took a short hike up to Hightop Mountain. Place was packed and hard to find a spot because some unthoughtful hammockers chose to hang over the designated tent sites instead of using any of the other thousands of surrounding trees. After dinner I hiked back up the .6 mile for the sunset.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Did 10 miles yesterday on the Pinhoti and Odum trails, forecast was for the 90's but overcast much of the time helped, Odum was hard to follow, overgrown, lot of rock sections, knew I would be about an hour ahead of the rest of the group so I would have to wait for my ride back to the truck, waited two hours and started walking the 15 miles back by road in heavy rain and high winds assuming the others were either lost or turned back, after walking a few miles a kind soul picked me up and took me to my truck, when I got back to the ending trailhead four ladies in the group had come out who had left the rest of the group early on and hiked ahead, about 15 minutes later two others made it out and said the rest of the group was a short ways back, a couple of the group just were not physically up to the hike...I headed home.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Did 10 miles yesterday on the Pinhoti and Odum trails, forecast was for the 90's but overcast much of the time helped, Odum was hard to follow, overgrown, lot of rock sections, knew I would be about an hour ahead of the rest of the group so I would have to wait for my ride back to the truck, waited two hours and started walking the 15 miles back by road in heavy rain and high winds assuming the others were either lost or turned back, after walking a few miles a kind soul picked me up and took me to my truck, when I got back to the ending trailhead four ladies in the group had come out who had left the rest of the group early on and hiked ahead, about 15 minutes later two others made it out and said the rest of the group was a short ways back, a couple of the group just were not physically up to the hike...I headed home.
      Images
      • 600_482482634.jpeg

114.86 kB, 450×600, viewed 243 times
      • 600_482482796.jpeg

92.14 kB, 600×400, viewed 271 times
      • 600_482491154.jpeg

84.64 kB, 600×400, viewed 262 times
      • thumb_482480569.jpeg

1.92 kB, 60×80, viewed 284 times
    • Drybones wrote:

Did 10 miles yesterday on the Pinhoti and Odum trails, forecast was for the 90's but overcast much of the time helped, Odum was hard to follow, overgrown, lot of rock sections, knew I would be about an hour ahead of the rest of the group so I would have to wait for my ride back to the truck, waited two hours and started walking the 15 miles back by road in heavy rain and high winds assuming the others were either lost or turned back, after walking a few miles a kind soul picked me up and took me to my truck, when I got back to the ending trailhead four ladies in the group had come out who had left the rest of the group early on and hiked ahead, about 15 minutes later two others made it out and said the rest of the group was a short ways back, a couple of the group just were not physically up to the hike...I headed home.
      nice!

Good thing someone picked you up.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Took a 9 mile walk in Frozen Head SP...I love that park for a quick fix. It was hot and humid. A bandana dipped in spring water was a big help.

It was real buggy. Bugs dont usually bother me but uncharacteristically, I sprayed sunscreen prior to the hike (found a full container in the street near my house). Sunscreen and sweat seemed to attract the buggers. I stopped for lunch, used a Natrapel Picaridin wipe, and they immediately disappeared.

The last two times that I hiked the CT, I got chiggers. Sure hope that doesn’t happen this time.

Fun day.
      Images
      • 6B292E39-23E9-427C-B612-792311371E07.jpeg

335.66 kB, 800×600, viewed 244 times
      • E9A6BFB6-D0D2-415A-BF3F-0A767B07F89F.jpeg

377.6 kB, 800×600, viewed 255 times
      • F86EADB1-6299-41D3-8B00-5B04CE95C611.jpeg

331.33 kB, 800×600, viewed 237 times
      • 460E95EA-1CC4-4B5B-89F2-5F7D5DC8D963.jpeg

371.1 kB, 800×600, viewed 222 times
      • A48ED784-E18A-4420-81D0-D0B3DD8DDDDF.jpeg

217.63 kB, 800×600, viewed 261 times
      • 93EC85F8-3C3A-4F61-84AD-883763E55927.jpeg

377.6 kB, 800×600, viewed 248 times
      • DC64B896-3E92-4778-9CFD-386209FA1C6E.jpeg

127.65 kB, 798×600, viewed 212 times
      • 736D8894-4363-4890-93F2-0832A9EA6C8C.jpeg

335.66 kB, 800×600, viewed 248 times
      • 1B7605F4-2629-41F7-8115-6CC3E0626A6F.jpeg

343.25 kB, 800×600, viewed 198 times
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Took a 9 mile walk in Frozen Head SP...I love that park for a quick fix. It was hot and humid. A bandana dipped in spring water was a big help.

It was real buggy. Bugs dont usually bother me but uncharacteristically, I sprayed sunscreen prior to the hike (found a full container in the street near my house). Sunscreen and sweat seemed to attract the buggers. I stopped for lunch, used a Natrapel Picaridin wipe, and they immediately disappeared.

The last two times that I hiked the CT, I got chiggers. Sure hope that doesn’t happen this time.

Fun day.
      I just have one question.....is that home made bread on that sandwich?
    • Drybones wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Took a 9 mile walk in Frozen Head SP...I love that park for a quick fix. It was hot and humid. A bandana dipped in spring water was a big help.

Fun day.
      I just have one question.....is that home made bread on that sandwich?
      Yep! It’s the basic French bread recipe from Julia Child..delicious. It’s over a week old and is still good, even though it doesn’t have preservatives and crap.
    • odd man out wrote:

Not today, but in the near future. Leaving soon for a two week trip to Canada. Will be going to Nova Scotia and PEI. We have a few days planned for Cape Breton Island NP. Hope to get some walks in.
      It is beautiful there, like the coast of Maine use to be 40 years ago. Be sure to enjoy some lobster and poutine.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Not today, but in the near future. Leaving soon for a two week trip to Canada. Will be going to Nova Scotia and PEI. We have a few days planned for Cape Breton Island NP. Hope to get some walks in.
      It is beautiful there, like the coast of Maine use to be 40 years ago. Be sure to enjoy some lobster and poutine.
      Just now getting around to to reporting on our trip.

Cape Breton Highlands NP was not as spectacular as I had hoped. We only had one day to drive around the park so we only had time for a few short walks. Most walks included views of the rocky coast. The surf was up which made for good picture of waves crashing onto the rocks.

The walk out to White Point was very nice, with seas all around. For some reason, there is a cemetery all the way out at the point.

There were a lot of flowers blooming. With the thin poor soil on bedrock all over, there were lots of insectivorous pitcher plants. Also saw lots of iris and tiny orchid in the bog walk.

On out last day we took a couple of walks on the north shore of the Bay of Fundy where they have the world's largest tides (up to 50 feet). We walked along the beach at Joggins where the cliffs along the beach are filled with 300 Million year old fossils. It is one of the most important fossil deposits in the world. But you can only go at low tide. At high tide the whole beach is under water. The before/after shot shows how much the tide came in during our 30 minutes on the beach.

Pretty much every rock you pick up is a fossil, but you can't keep them - they all belong to the Province of Nova Scotia. In the cliff face there are whole tree trunks.

Then we walked down to the light house at Cape d'Or. Very pretty. The Bay is only about 9 miles wide at that point and due to the extreme tides, the amount of water flowing through this straight is greater than the amount of water flowing in all the Earth's rivers combined. You can see the sea churning just off the coast from the tides coming in. Mrs OMO is a birdwatcher.
    • Walked 6 miles today, the most since 17 mile last day of the AT in VT.
      Most interesting thing was this guy chainsawing down trees. In some of the pictures you can actually see the log he just cut falling.
      Images
      • 20190806_114000.jpg

105.54 kB, 450×600, viewed 357 times
      • 20190806_114024.jpg

108.35 kB, 450×600, viewed 342 times
      • 20190806_114038.jpg

102.06 kB, 450×600, viewed 392 times
      • 20190806_114040.jpg

103.2 kB, 450×600, viewed 367 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Did the Cecret Lake hike today (that's Secret spelled funny). It's at the Alta Ski Resort above Salt Lake City. It's an out and back hike, about 1 mile one way with an elevation gain from 9500 ft to just shy of 10k ft. Very nice. We are here for a family reunion with ages from 3 to 87. The trail description said it was an easy hike appropriate for all levels which was a lie. It was a reasonably rigorous hike (minor stream crossings, rock scrambles, steep switchbacks sections) for many in our group so various people turned back at various point. I made it to the top. it's one of the most popular day hikes in the SLC area so it's pretty crowded on a summer Saturday morning.

• LIhikers wrote:

This past Saturday Kathy and I took a 5-6 mile walk on some county park land in Long Island's pine barrens area.
      To my surprise, and delight, I didn't experience any pain in my foot.
      It was hot and humid and I was totally soaked by the time we were finished.
      Glad to see you back out there pain free. :thumbup:
    • the last month or so most of my exercise has been on recumbent bike at the ymca; "hiking" has been limited to the soccer field.

today i hiked 4 miles at kennesaw mountain (2 miles out and back) without pain.

monday i'm going to see if i can hike the 5 mile loop at the mountain. psychologically that will be a big deal to me. of course i won't be happy til i can throw 35 pounds in a pack and hike for 12 miles.

i don't mind doing physical therapy on my back. i don't mind doing it on my knee. but doing on both is a real PITA.

my almost new mountain bike was stolen in my home robbery last week. i don't think i mentioned it -- i noticed it was missing a day or 2 after the robbery. i rode it around the neighborhood a couple weeks ago and was able to ride pain free so i was planning on riding more for cardio...
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

the last month or so most of my exercise has been on recumbent bike at the ymca; "hiking" has been limited to the soccer field.

today i hiked 4 miles at kennesaw mountain (2 miles out and back) without pain.

monday i'm going to see if i can hike the 5 mile loop at the mountain. psychologically that will be a big deal to me. of course i won't be happy til i can throw 35 pounds in a pack and hike for 12 miles.

i don't mind doing physical therapy on my back. i don't mind doing it on my knee. but doing on both is a real PITA.

my almost new mountain bike was stolen in my home robbery last week. i don't think i mentioned it -- i noticed it was missing a day or 2 after the robbery. i rode it around the neighborhood a couple weeks ago and was able to ride pain free so i was planning on riding more for cardio...
      Awesome that you are back hiking! :thumbup:
    • Yesterday, Saturday 8/31, Kathy and I decided to brave the holiday weekend traffic and headed up to New York's Harriman State Park. We did an enjoyable 8 miles and spent some time looking for, and finding an old iron ore mine. There are many old mines in the park and this one, like most of the others, is filled with water. All in all it was a great day. The weather was perfect, we didn't encounter too many people, and there was just the right mixture of hills and flats to give us a good workout. What more could a hiker ask for in a day hike.