Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I injured my foot pretty badly on 9/15; was on crutches for 2 weeks then slowly recuperating.

Today I went for a hike with my meetup group, MAC. They were hiking 10-12 miles on the Waterloo-Pinckney and Equestrienne trails. I hiked with them for 1.65 miles then turned around and hiked 1.65 miles back to the parking lot for a 3.3 mile total. That was long enough for today. It felt so wonderful to be back out in the woods on a trail hiking again!!
    • Trillium wrote:

I injured my foot pretty badly on 9/15; was on crutches for 2 weeks then slowly recuperating.

Today I went for a hike with my meetup group, MAC. They were hiking 10-12 miles on the Waterloo-Pinckney and Equestrienne trails. I hiked with them for 1.65 miles then turned around and hiked 1.65 miles back to the parking lot for a 3.3 mile total. That was long enough for today. It felt so wonderful to be back out in the woods on a trail hiking again!!
      Baby steps. You'll get there. Had my meniscus surgery just a few days before Christmas last year. First time out walking was like half a block. April l hiked 170 miles in VA and then the Whites in July.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Trillium wrote:

I injured my foot pretty badly on 9/15; was on crutches for 2 weeks then slowly recuperating.

That is a start Trillium. Take it slow and easy and you will be back out there in no time.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Trillium wrote:

Sorry to hear of your injury, but glad to see you are back out on the trails! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Sorry to hear of your injury, but glad to see you are back out on the trails! :thumbup:
      Like he said ^
    • Thanks very much guys! (insert emoji blowing a kiss to all of you)

Since my post above, I was in Chicago for a week and was the primary person taking care of Bella since the son-in-law was in Albuquerque shooting a wedding and my daughter was working. We walked all over north Chicago. Bella got quite a workout. Her favorite is going to the dog beach and running with the other dogs. My favorite is walking along the Lake Michigan shoreline. One of the days we were able to go 7.2 miles; although Bella went further if all her running on the beach with the other dogs could be measured. She is so funny; she hates the water and sometimes as she's running along with the other dogs, they run into Lake Michigan but she comes to a screeching halt on the wet sand then stands there looking longingly at them to come out and wondering just why the heck they would want to get wet.

I have 2 hikes scheduled during the next 7 days. Will report back next weekend. :)
    • Kathy and I, plus our dog, went for a short walk today, with our dog Tora.
      It was a 2ish mile walk in a county nature preserve.
      About 1/2 the trail was along some wet lands with good views of ducks and geese.
      The other 1/2 was through woods with signs of deer, although we didn't actually see any.
      Temperature was in the low 40s with no wind and a partly sunny sky. It was a pretty perfect day for a walk.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I, plus our dog, went for a short walk today, with our dog Tora.
      About 1/2 the trail was along some wet lands with good views of ducks and geese.
      The other 1/2 was through woods with signs of deer, although we didn't actually see any.
      Temperature was in the low 40s with no wind and a partly sunny sky. It was a pretty perfect day for a walk.
      Glad you were able to get out. Heading to Washington DC tomorrow, so should get a little walking in between all the museums and monuments.
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Glad you were able to get out. Heading to Washington DC tomorrow, so should get a little walking in between all the museums and monuments.
      So what did you get to see in DC?
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

So what did you get to see in DC?
      Yeah did 15 miles in one day. We drove up on Monday and stopped in the evening at Arlington Cemetery. 4th time to DC myself, but first time I had been there and seen the tomb of the unknown soldier(s). Impressive and solemn.

Tuesday took the subway from the Pentagon City to Smithsonian. Had taken my oldest and youngest sons 3 years ago, but first trip to DC for my middle son. We walked through the mall to the Library of Congress (checking out monuments, capital, supreme court on the way). After that we walked back to Smithsonian Air and Space (I always love seeing Lindbergh and Spirit of St Louis, and Stanley (Standford car won DARPA Challenge, covered case at least 50 times with my classes)). First time I went to Smithsonian Art (son really enjoyed Asian exhibits, he was born in Singapore and speaks Chinese and Japanese). Next Smithsonian American History, then White House. From there on to Einstein, Lincoln, Korea, MLK, FDR, and eventually Jefferson memorial. Took the Circuit bus from there to Union Station to eat (I knew there would be plenty of variety there). Then took subway back.
    • Since my 4th trip, my son took more pictures than me. But here are a few.
      Images
      • IMG_20181120_112258149.jpg

159.93 kB, 800×450, viewed 332 times
      • IMG_20181120_142206736.jpg

138.53 kB, 800×450, viewed 341 times
      • IMG_20181120_152226893.jpg

83.95 kB, 337×600, viewed 379 times
      • IMG_20181120_162357709_TOP.jpg

126.6 kB, 800×450, viewed 347 times
      • IMG_20181120_160128305.jpg

132.05 kB, 337×600, viewed 340 times
      • IMG_20181120_153222564.jpg

128.75 kB, 800×449, viewed 336 times
      • IMG_20181120_112910150.jpg

75.01 kB, 337×600, viewed 332 times
      • IMG_20181120_112838451.jpg

134.96 kB, 800×450, viewed 352 times
      • IMG_20181120_100106393.jpg

63.87 kB, 337×600, viewed 342 times
      • IMG_20181119_164928616.jpg

128.03 kB, 800×450, viewed 362 times
    • LIhikers wrote:

That sounds like quite a trip.
      Glad to hear you guys enjoyed.
      As an aircraft mechanic I used to think the Air and Space Museum was fascinating.
      It pales in comparison to the Air Force Museum near Dayton, Ohio.
      At least that's what I think now.
      Yeah, we were going to take part of an extra day, but we got it into one (plus the evening before) so we could back home before Thanksgiving Thursday.

That reminds of the first time I saw Niagara Falls after just seeing Falls Iguazu in Brazil and Argentina a few months earlier. I asked my wife where it was, since it was nothing compared to that. When I went to Niagara Falls a few years ago I was much more impressed, as Falls Igauzu was now more of distant memory.

I assume the Air Force put the Museum in Dayton due to the Wright brothers.
    • odd man out wrote:

btw, last time we were in DC, the American Indian Museum (east of A&S museum) had a fantastic food court with a great variety of native American foods. Healthy too. Great exhibits too.
      When we walked by we wondered if they had been given any flack about changing the name.
      Next time will have to stop in.
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

As an aircraft mechanic I used to think the Air and Space Museum was fascinating.
      Yeah, we were going to take part of an extra day, but we got it into one (plus the evening before) so we could back home before Thanksgiving Thursday.
      That reminds of the first time I saw Niagara Falls after just seeing Falls Iguazu in Brazil and Argentina a few months earlier. I asked my wife where it was, since it was nothing compared to that. When I went to Niagara Falls a few years ago I was much more impressed, as Falls Igauzu was now more of distant memory.

I assume the Air Force put the Museum in Dayton due to the Wright brothers.
      and there’s an Air Force base there, I lived there as a kid,
      Lost in the right direction.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I was at the A&S Museum the day it opened. I was a senior in high school in the MD suburbs and took the subway in for opening day. As an aviation museum, it is limited by its size. So to show their bulk of their collection they opened an annex at a large facility by Dulles Airport. Here they have an amazing display of great planes. I didn't get there until my central VA hike 5 years ago. I flew to BWA and took Amtrak to Chalottsville but had a whole day layover so I took the subway/bus to Dulles and finally go to see it. (Eola Gay, Space Shuttle, SR71, etc...). I will have to get to Dayton sometime. I wonder how it compares.
    • odd man out wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I was at the A&S Museum the day it opened. I was a senior in high school in the MD suburbs and took the subway in for opening day. As an aviation museum, it is limited by its size. So to show their bulk of their collection they opened an annex at a large facility by Dulles Airport. Here they have an amazing display of great planes. I didn't get there until my central VA hike 5 years ago. I flew to BWA and took Amtrak to Chalottsville but had a whole day layover so I took the subway/bus to Dulles and finally go to see it. (Eola Gay, Space Shuttle, SR71, etc...). I will have to get to Dayton sometime. I wonder how it compares.
      I considered that as part of a second day, but this son not that much into airplanes. Also wife glad to get us back earlier. Original plan was to leave around 3pm on second day and spend night in Knoxville.
      Thinking back now, perhaps we could of met up with TJ for some homemade biscuits. :D
    • Yesterday Kathy and I, on our way home from REI, stopped at a local county park for a walk with our dog.
      I'm guessing that we covered about 3 miles and finished just as it was getting too dark to see where we were walking.
      On the way home we stopped at Dunkin Donuts for coffee, hot chocolate and an apple fritter.
      The best part was having time together! Life gets so busy that we don't get much uninterrupted time together so this was very nice.
      It was a great way to end a weekend that was filled by going to a wake and funeral.
      One of our very best friends died of cancer after only being sick for 3 months.
      It made us realize that we need to live life in a way that's enjoyable, and fulfilling as well as taking care of the things we have to do.
      Let me encourage you to live life to the fullest with the people you care about
    • Kathy and I, along with our dog, took a walk on the Nassau/Suffolk Trail this afternoon.
      We started around 2:30 and hiked out for 2.5 miles, turned around and hiked back.
      Even though this is a suburban trail we only passed 1 person. We did see quite a few people on a near-by, paved, bicycle path and no one on the dirt mountain bike trail. All 3 of these trails are on a narrow corridor of government land. The sky was completely overcast so it was a gray day but the temperature was in the high 30s and there was no wind. A good day for a walk really. The only down side was that I wish we had started sooner so that we could have walked longer/farther. Where we had parked the car we were supposed to be out by sunset, that's what dictated the length of our walk. But, something is better than nothing. :)
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I, along with our dog, took a walk on the Nassau/Suffolk Trail this afternoon.
      We started around 2:30 and hiked out for 2.5 miles, turned around and hiked back.
      Even though this is a suburban trail we only passed 1 person. We did see quite a few people on a near-by, paved, bicycle path and no one on the dirt mountain bike trail. All 3 of these trails are on a narrow corridor of government land. The sky was completely overcast so it was a gray day but the temperature was in the high 30s and there was no wind. A good day for a walk really. The only down side was that I wish we had started sooner so that we could have walked longer/farther. Where we had parked the car we were supposed to be out by sunset, that's what dictated the length of our walk. But, something is better than nothing. :)
      In the suburban trails around me I see very few people on dirt forest paths (and there are some nice ones), and lots of people walking wider paved paths (rail-trail and such). I think your average suburban homeowner fears being alone in the woods, with ticks and critters. You should see my town's community FB page. Crazed warning about coyotes sightings, how can I kill all the dangerous chipmunks in my yard, and that sort of thing.

And I almost never see any kids playing in the woods anymore, that is the saddest thing of all.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Actually, I took this walk yesterday.

So I have been very busy with work the past 4 months. Someone abruptly left so I had my day classes, and their night classes which were new to me, and then working through the weekend on a class I am a student in. No time for walking or exercise.

It is amazing how quickly the body gets out of shape. I feel like crap now, and was short of breath after a short, flat 2 mile walk yesterday. Now that the semester is drawing to a close my resolution is to go on at least a 2 mile walk every day, we shall see. Still too busy today to fit that in. But I am at an age where if I lose it, I might not get it back.

I went to Halibut Point State Park, a little mini-state park in Lockport, MA.

Rockport is full of old quarries. Caper Ann granite was used to make paving stones for the streets of New York, Boston, and Philadelphia way back when. Still lots of beautiful old granite home in Gloucester and Rockport made from this stone.

Funny thing, I thought I knew this place. I have been here dozens of times. I have a favorite path I take to the ocean, it is the path less traveled by, narrow and overgrown. A green tunnel through the winterberry and brambles that suddenly bursts out onto one of the most beautiful scenes on the North Atlantic coast.

Yesterday, however, I wanted to walk some distance so I walked on the wide, groomed circuitous path they make for the wheelchair bound and those afraid of ticks. The thing is it led me to all these pretty and interesting sites in the park that I never had seen before. Goes to show we need to get out of our ruts sometimes and see things in a new way. I am rethinking everything Robert Frost had to teach me about which path to take.

I liked this guy, just some random art near the quarry.

They quarried right down to the ocean, which makes for a nice stepped rocky shore effect here...

Tidepooling Mallards.

It felt good to be finely putting one foot in front of the other again.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

ignored the "the woods are closed!" sign along with more people than i expected and hiked 5 miles at kennesaw mountain. nice weather today; sunny and 50 degrees.
      That’s great, sounds like you’re doing better?
      thanx for asking.

i guess for someone who has 1) gotten a recommendation for back surgery and 2) told that i need a total knee replacement (whenever i decide to have it done) i can't complain. last PT for knee is wednesday i'll keep doing the daily stretches and get a different injection in february and see what happens. 5 miles with a day pack is probably my limit right now; if i can't work up to 10 miles with a backpack over consecutive days then i'll go under the knife. if i was a couch potato i'd have no issues.

edit to add: my current self imposed limit is becasue of my knee; my knee hurts before my back does. so i guess the chiro and stretches for my back are working. :)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• On new years day Kathy and I decided we had to get off this overcrowded island and headed to Piermont, NY to hike a bit of NY's Long Path.
      Since we got a late start we only had a few hours of daylight. It was road walking to get out of town and then we passed through a large cemetery and into the woods that was Rockland County parkland. We walked north for a couple of hours, until we got to a road crossing with a trailhead parking lot. We took a lunch break there and then headed back to Piermont. The trail was verrrrrrrrry wet with a lot of standing water and a lot of mud all as a result of the deluge we had the day/night before. There's no camping allowed in this area, but we did notice a few places that could make a great stealth spot. If we ever get around to doing that hike to Ohio this trail,the Long Path, will be part of the route.
    • LIhikers wrote:

On new years day Kathy and I decided we had to get off this overcrowded island and headed to Piermont, NY to hike a bit of NY's Long Path.
      Since we got a late start we only had a few hours of daylight. It was road walking to get out of town and then we passed through a large cemetery and into the woods that was Rockland County parkland. We walked north for a couple of hours, until we got to a road crossing with a trailhead parking lot. We took a lunch break there and then headed back to Piermont. The trail was verrrrrrrrry wet with a lot of standing water and a lot of mud all as a result of the deluge we had the day/night before. There's no camping allowed in this area, but we did notice a few places that could make a great stealth spot. If we ever get around to doing that hike to Ohio this trail,the Long Path, will be part of the route.
      While the conditions may not have been ideal, glad y'all had the chance to get out. :thumbup:
    • Took a walk today on Hunting Island State Park, South Carolina...

The island has been closed for two years after damage from Hurricanes Mathew and Irma. Walking along the beach was a little tough since the beach is now where the forest use to be...

Mid Island the conditions were much easier for walking. This is South Carolina 'Low Country', flat as a pancake.

On the inland side of the island are some nice tidewater marshes. I saw an otter, but unfortunately was not quick enough to get a picture.

Heading home tomorrow. I had fun exploring this area, it was a nice little vacation.

John Greenleaf Whittier