Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I took a walk today and couldn't have asked for better conditions. The snow line has jogged up to above 6000 feet in most places and the majority of the lower trails in the are are clear and dry. It was beautiful 70 degree, blue bird day here in SE Idaho today. I believe the name of the trail I was on is locally known as Wiggle Worm. It was a nice three-ish mile loop up and back and I really enjoyed being able to get out in the fresh air and sunshine.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Went for a hike yesterday with a meetup group at Brighton Recreation Area on the horse trails. Hiked 11 miles in a pretty hilly area. My legs are feeling it today but I had a great time! So great to be out getting exercise in the woods with some fellow hikers. There were a number of riders out also so we had to jump off the trail about every half hour or so. Beautiful horses. The weather was perfect in the 50's with a slight breeze.
    • Went for another hike yesterday with my meet-up group, Michigan Adventurers Club, MAC for short. We hiked 10.6 miles on the Waterloo-Pinckney trail. This is 33.9 mile trail a little over an hour from my house. I've previously hiked about 5 miles of the eastern portion and another 5 miles of the middle portion. Yesterday's hike was from the western portion. I want to see if my sister wants to backpack the entire thing sometime this summer.

Again saw about a dozen and a half horses on the trail. They were so beautiful.
      The only downside to the hike was the need to make an emergency visit behind a LARGE tree near the end of the hike as my intestines started to revolt. This meant that I wasn't feeling well enough to join the group afterwards at the local Grill for a burger and adult beverage.
    • Kathy and I went for a short walk yesterday.
      We had been wanting to get back to the Long Path and spent Friday night looking at maps.
      We decided to go to Tallman State Park, which the trail goes through and did about 5 miles in the park.
      The trail goes out the north end of the park and into the town of Piermont. We lost the trail and walked all over town looking for it.
      Finally found the trail, and where we went wrong, near the parking lot in town. Walked the trail uphill to where it intersects a rail trail and sat on a bench in front of a lovely, well restored, rail road station.
      When we got up we headed back to the park and followed a bicycle path back to our car.
      Not a lot of miles but an enjoyable day even though there was rain on and off.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I went for a short walk yesterday.
      We had been wanting to get back to the Long Path and spent Friday night looking at maps.
      We decided to go to Tallman State Park, which the trail goes through and did about 5 miles in the park.
      The trail goes out the north end of the park and into the town of Piermont. We lost the trail and walked all over town looking for it.
      Finally found the trail, and where we went wrong, near the parking lot in town. Walked the trail uphill to where it intersects a rail trail and sat on a bench in front of a lovely, well restored, rail road station.
      When we got up we headed back to the park and followed a bicycle path back to our car.
      2 years ago our crew built a set of steps, out of wood even! One of our guyz is the maintainer for the Long Path ... IN Tallman..... I will let him know of the problem you encountered
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

2 years ago our crew built a set of steps, out of wood even! One of our guyz is the maintainer for the Long Path ... IN Tallman..... I will let him know of the problem you encountered
      There really isn't a problem Lou.
      The trail, once we found it, really is well marked.
      It's just that we were busy looking at a building with a mural painted on it and walked past the blazes telling us to turn left.
    • CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I think we walked up those steps, thanks for the work!
    • New

Took a walk today along the Delaware river in Camden (Philadelphia across the river) where the Battleship NJ is permanent docked as a floating museum to watch the ‘tall ships parade’. There were sloops, catches, schooners, firefighting tug and a Portage’s man-o-war at least that was the buzz on the brick lined walk. Twas a great day!
    • New

I went for a walk today at the Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary in the Manistee National Forest, the only Wildflower Sanctuary in the NF system. It is a pleasant 1.2 mile walk in the woods. The trail goes across an arm of the lake that is now a bog where you can see pitcher plants and fiddlehead ferns. The early spring flowers were gone, but we did see some of the late spring flowers like Star Flowers, Violets (White, Yellow, and Blue), and Jacks in the Pulpit. But the star of the show were the Pink Lady Slippers. I can go for years without seeing one. Today we saw a dozen or more. This loop is just a mile from the North Country Trail and connected by a spur trail. The NCT uses blue blazes with white blazes for side trails (opposite of the AT), so I did get to see my White Blaze today