Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I took a walk today. Unfortunately it was only up and down the aisles of Waddle World. He he. I did get in about a 10-12 mile bike ride though.

I thought about riding my bike today but went running instead. Beautiful 60 deg and sunny. 49.gif

I don't run anymore, too much impact for my knees. But I can walk dawn to dusk. Now I have been known to run to dinner or run for a beer though. :lol:
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Took a walk today

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I took a walk today. Unfortunately it was only up and down the aisles of Waddle World. He he. I did get in about a 10-12 mile bike ride though.

I thought about riding my bike today but went running instead. Beautiful 60 deg and sunny. 49.gif

I don't run anymore, too much impact for my knees. But I can walk dawn to dusk. Now I have been known to run to dinner or run for a beer though. :lol:

Would you run for Bourbon?

http://www.bourbonchase.com/race
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Would you run for Bourbon?

Of course!!!! :woohoo:

http://www.bourbonchase.com/race
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

LIhikers wrote:

Bekki wrote:

"Blacksmith" post=14741
      wrote:

Finger lakes trail?

I have a hike mapped out that involves the Finger Lakes Trail. I want to hike from NY City to my son's place in Ohio.
      The route would be the Long Path north into the Catskills where I'd pick-up the Finger Lakes Trail. Then it would be westbound across NY state to where the North Country Trail cuts down into PA. Then across the northwest corner of PA on the NCT to the Buckeye Trail in Ohio. From there it would be back roads, or maybe a bus to where my son lives.
      That's one of those maybe someday trips.

That sounds like an awesome trip

Bekki wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Bekki wrote:

"Blacksmith" post=14741
      wrote:

Finger lakes trail?

I have a hike mapped out that involves the Finger Lakes Trail. I want to hike from NY City to my son's place in Ohio.
      The route would be the Long Path north into the Catskills where I'd pick-up the Finger Lakes Trail. Then it would be westbound across NY state to where the North Country Trail cuts down into PA. Then across the northwest corner of PA on the NCT to the Buckeye Trail in Ohio. From there it would be back roads, or maybe a bus to where my son lives.
      That's one of those maybe someday trips.

That sounds like an awesome trip

Yep, I think so too. Just hope I get to do it someday
    • Took a walk today

Today I hiked on the Abrams Falls Trail in the Smokies. I usually avoid this trail like the plague, as it gets an estimated 1000 visitors per day during peak season. It's been 5 years since I hiked it, and while I wasn't particularly interested in the falls, there are some good loop hikes in the area. My plan was to hike 4+ miles, ford the river, and come back via Rabbit Creek Trail for a total of 11.2.. Fording the river was doubtful from the beginning, but I was hopeful it would be okay and worked on my courage the whole way there. As soon as I saw it, I knew it wasn't going to happen but it took a while to accept. I sat there and kept saying, "You know LS would walk across this damn river, just do it." (I don't mean that in a snarky way, his fearlessness is an inspiration.) Angry with myself for not even trying, I ate my lunch and continued on down the trail for a mile or so.

This is the area that was hit hard by the tornado in 2011. The closer I got to the Abrams Creek ranger station and campground area, the more dramatic the damage. I was amazed at the destruction and can't imagine the work it took to clear the trail. It looked like Armageddon. If it weren't for the sound of the river in the background, the area would have been eerie and unsettling.

Even though the loop didn't work out, it was a great 10 mile hike. I'll post pictures of the river and tornado damage in my gallery.
    • Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

Today I hiked on the Abrams Falls Trail in the Smokies. I usually avoid this trail like the plague, as it gets an estimated 1000 visitors per day during peak season. It's been 5 years since I hiked it, and while I wasn't particularly interested in the falls, there are some good loop hikes in the area. My plan was to hike 4+ miles, ford the river, and come back via Rabbit Creek Trail for a total of 11.2.. Fording the river was doubtful from the beginning, but I was hopeful it would be okay and worked on my courage the whole way there. As soon as I saw it, I knew it wasn't going to happen but it took a while to accept. I sat there and kept saying, "You know LS would walk across this damn river, just do it." (I don't mean that in a snarky way, his fearlessness is an inspiration.) Angry with myself for not even trying, I ate my lunch and continued on down the trail for a mile or so.

This is the area that was hit hard by the tornado in 2011. The closer I got to the Abrams Creek ranger station and campground area, the more dramatic the damage. I was amazed at the destruction and can't imagine the work it took to clear the trail. It looked like Armageddon. If it weren't for the sound of the river in the background, the area would have been eerie and unsettling.

Even though the loop didn't work out, it was a great 10 mile hike. I'll post pictures of the river and tornado damage in my gallery.
      cool, look forward to the pictures, gotta be nice to live near such a pristine place...gotta get to the Smokies one day.
    • Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

Never mind the "Like " Button, we need a jealous button!
    • Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

TJ, you should be satisfied with your thoughtful choice to wait till the next time your up there to cross that river. Water is not to be messed with. It WILL kill you. High water...cold temps......downed trees below water level......you had a nice 10 miler.............I wish I did :)
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Took a walk today

It's a beautiful, sunny, warm day today and me, Kathy, our friend Linda, and of course the wonder dog Tora, headed east on Long Island to Hubbard County Park for a walk. The park is undeveloped park land that's in Long Island's Pine Barren Region. The park is bounded on one side by Flander's Bay, has a number of ponds, marsh land, and marked trails. We spent about 4 hours tramping about and just relaxing in general. Since most of Long Island is dead flat it's not much exercise, but it sure was nice to get out and enjoy the day. We didn't see much in the way of wildlife, 1 dead raccoon, a colony of mice, seagulls, and a couple of swans. Also plenty of deer tracks and 46.gif
      It would have been nice to spend more time, and do more miles, but life is busy and we needed to get home. Kathy took some photos and I'll post them when I get them.
    • Re:Re: Took a walk today

WiseOldOwl wrote:

My sincere apologies to all, I didn't take a walk today or Thursday... my wife of some 29 years took this picture of me hammocking at Castaway Cay in the Bahamas...all day... hmmm

[IMG:http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/DSCN1643_zps167ec1c7.jpg]

Looks like ya'll had a good time.:)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Took a walk today

I took a walk today and found a new place to walk and stay out of the rain- parking decks. It works great, go up for 6 levels at a slight incline, then down the steps 2 at a time, turn around go up 2 at a time, then walk down the deck. Turn around and do it all over again. It was a nice lunch time work out.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Took a walk today

jimmyjam wrote:

I took a walk today and found a new place to walk and stay out of the rain- parking decks. It works great, go up for 6 levels at a slight incline, then down the steps 2 at a time, turn around go up 2 at a time, then walk down the deck. Turn around and do it all over again. It was a nice lunch time work out.

That's a great idea JJ. I ran yesterday and lifted weights today. My schedule (and the weather) isn't looking good for hiking this week, probably not next week either. A little bummed about that.
    • Took a walk today

Last night after I'd settled in on the couch to watch some TV, my wife Kathy says Come on, lets take a walk. As we go out the door she says she's got a plan. So we walk about a 1/2 mile to a particular intersection and then she tells me from now on we're gonna alternate between making the first left and then the first right. When she told me that would take us home I said No Way because we'll be walking north and east. We followed her plan and in a few miles where one block away from where we live. I was surprised but she reminded me that not all the streets were straight. When asked if she had figured this all out before hand she said no, it just kind of worked out that way when she had done it by herself on a different day.
      So, I got in a few miles of walking at night and didn't even get run over by all the traffic on the roads early last night. Not great fun but it did get me up and moving.

LIhikers wrote:

Last night after I'd settled in on the couch to watch some TV, my wife Kathy says Come on, lets take a walk. As we go out the door she says she's got a plan. So we walk about a 1/2 mile to a particular intersection and then she tells me from now on we're gonna alternate between making the first left and then the first right. When she told me that would take us home I said No Way because we'll be walking north and east. We followed her plan and in a few miles where one block away from where we live. I was surprised but she reminded me that not all the streets were straight. When asked if she had figured this all out before hand she said no, it just kind of worked out that way when she had done it by herself on a different day.
      So, I got in a few miles of walking at night and didn't even get run over by all the traffic on the roads early last night. Not great fun but it did get me up and moving.

What a great idea! The only exercise I've done in the past 3 days is playing corn hole. I'm feeling really antsy :(

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

What a great idea! The only exercise I've done in the past 3 days is playing corn hole. I'm feeling really antsy :(

And in case you don't play corn hole up north, I'm talking about the beer garden game!

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

And in case you don't play corn hole up north, I'm talking about the beer garden game!

You grow beer in your garden? I only grow squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, and asparagus in mine. I must be doing it all wrong again.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

No, we don't play corn hole here in NY, although I do know what it is as I used to work for a company that was headquartered in Kentucky. They were constantly having corn hole tournaments.
      To be honest, to northern ears the name of that game sounds like there should be banjo music playing in the backround :ohmy:

LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

No, we don't play corn hole here in NY, although I do know what it is as I used to work for a company that was headquartered in Kentucky. They were constantly having corn hole tournaments.
      To be honest, to northern ears the name of that game sounds like there should be banjo music playing in the backround :ohmy:

I got a good laugh when I reread my post. It was just all wrong.
    • Took a walk today

I took a walk today from Big Meadows Wayside in the SNP. It was a 5 mile out & back for a total of 10. I wanted to field test some gear. I had made a Parcho from a Quest Outfitters kit that I had never worn in the rain because I was using my Gatewood Cape as both rain gear and shelter. The Parcho worked great, it's very similar to what Cedar Tree sells. I also wanted to test out the shaped cuben tarp in the rain that I had made over the winter. It also worked great. And I wanted to field test BirdBrains stove and some dehydrated veggies and chicken flavored TVP. It was all good.

It was cool, foggy, snowy, muddy, wet and wonderful. I drove round trip 200 miles and hiked 10 miles in the rain, I must be Nuckin Futs. :woohoo:
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

I took a walk today from Big Meadows Wayside in the SNP. It was a 5 mile out & back for a total of 10. I wanted to field test some gear. I had made a Parcho from a Quest Outfitters kit that I had never worn in the rain because I was using my Gatewood Cape as both rain gear and shelter. The Parcho worked great, it's very similar to what Cedar Tree sells. I also wanted to test out the shaped cuben tarp in the rain that I had made over the winter. It also worked great. And I wanted to field test BirdBrains stove and some dehydrated veggies and chicken flavored TVP. It was all good.

It was cool, foggy, snowy, muddy, wet and wonderful. I drove round trip 200 miles and hiked 10 miles in the rain, I must be Nuckin Futs. :woohoo:

I was hoping you'd post about your walk today, JJ. Do you have a pic of the tarp set-up?

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I was hoping you'd post about your walk today, JJ. Do you have a pic of the tarp set-up?

I didn't take any pictures of the outside of it today because I didn't want to get my camera wet. The last one is from inside. Here's a picture of it set up in the yard.
      Images
      • Tarp10514001.jpg

74.98 kB, 800×600, viewed 618 times
      • Tarp10514003.jpg

75.47 kB, 800×600, viewed 587 times
      • Tarp10514004.jpg

71.29 kB, 800×600, viewed 571 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference