Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LIhikers wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

If you find on off leash area, the dog can run circles around you.
      We can't let our dog off leash or she'd be gone in a flash.She loves to chase other animals and it's not uncommon for us to find half a rabbit or squirrel or chipmunk in our yard.
      I walked two dobermans off leash, a matter of training, the big male had such strong dominant tendencies my wife was afraid of him when he was a small pup, she took him to obedience school, where they train the owner, not the dog, he could be chasing something across the yard and she yelled down and he hit the ground...of course I ruined him and let him train me.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • My wife and I took a walk today from Vesterås above Geiranger Norway up to the Storseterfossen waterfall. It's two km walk with a 220 meter elevation gain from the farm's Café to the falls (and the same distance back down). The trail is mostly stone stairs set by Sherpas from Nepal a few years ago. Some of the goats didn't want to move off the trail. We shared a ham and brie wrap with cauliflower soup for lunch before and strawberry ice cream and cappuccino after. The views are like nothing I've seen before. I'm really out of shape.
    • Well, my walk today certainly isn't as pretty as Norway but it's the first actual hike/walk not on pavement I've managed to squeeze in since I moved to Idaho.

Red Hill as seen from below and Red Hill as seen from the top. It's not a super long trail since it's only a 200 ft elevation gain but it was a good practice run outside of walking around my neighborhood. Yay erythrocyte production!!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Ewok11 wrote:

Well, my walk today certainly isn't as pretty as Norway but it's the first actual hike/walk not on pavement I've managed to squeeze in since I moved to Idaho.

Red Hill as seen from below and Red Hill as seen from the top. It's not a super long trail since it's only a 200 ft elevation gain but it was a good practice run outside of walking around my neighborhood. Yay erythrocyte production!!

What's the significance of the columns?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • An upcoming mid week hike and over nighter is now off due to a human caused wildfire. Fire fighters and air crews have been busy since Sat. I take no credit for the photo.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • No. C130 aircraft are 4 engine turboprops and eject retardant via a duct and nozzle system from the tail area. The ramp and door must be open when discharging retardant since the holding tanks, ducting and nozzles are modular and easily installed and removed thus allowing the aircraft to complete other types of missions.

I believe this aircraft is owned and operated by Neptune Aviation, a company currently fielding upwards of nine retrofitted BAe 146 type aircraft throughout the US and also internationally. Neptune operated one each aircraft in Chili and Australia during last year's fire season.

The BAe 146 and a variant referred as RJ 85 were built by British Airways Engineering from early 1980 to I believe 2002. Purpose built as a short haul regional jet and with design features allowing much quieter operation, thereby allowing flight into noise restricted zones such as London and Southern CA and in addition short high altitude runways. These aircraft were acquired and retrofitted with tanks allowing a 3000 gallon retardant capacity and gravity discharge. This tanker aircraft is commonly referred to as the next generation fire fighting tanker, replacing less capable and slower aircraft such as the Orion P-3', PBY, and DC 6.

Rereading this post I realized my aviation history mindset activated. Oops.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • NoAngel wrote:

Ewok11 wrote:

Well, my walk today certainly isn't as pretty as Norway but it's the first actual hike/walk not on pavement I've managed to squeeze in since I moved to Idaho.

What's the significance of the columns?
      I wondered the same thing when we first got here, since there aren't any signs or placards explaining them. Here's what I found:
      isuvoice.com/?p=2067106341
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Dan76 wrote:

No. C130 aircraft are 4 engine turboprops and eject retardant via a duct and nozzle system from the tail area. The ramp and door must be open when discharging retardant since the holding tanks, ducting and nozzles are modular and easily installed and removed thus allowing the aircraft to complete other types of missions.

I believe this aircraft is owned and operated by Neptune Aviation, a company currently fielding upwards of nine retrofitted BAe 146 type aircraft throughout the US and also internationally. Neptune operated one each aircraft in Chili and Australia during last year's fire season.

The BAe 146 and a variant referred as RJ 85 were built by British Airways Engineering from early 1980 to I believe 2002. Purpose built as a short haul regional jet and with design features allowing much quieter operation, thereby allowing flight into noise restricted zones such as London and Southern CA and in addition short high altitude runways. These aircraft were acquired and retrofitted with tanks allowing a 3000 gallon retardant capacity and gravity discharge. This tanker aircraft is commonly referred to as the next generation fire fighting tanker, replacing less capable and slower aircraft such as the Orion P-3', PBY, and DC 6.

The 747 tanker is way cool. I hear it's going to go back in service after the Evergreen debacle.
      N744ST(love the custom registrations these days) a 747-400 has just had the retardant delivery system from the original SuperTanker, a 200 series) installed in it, so we may get to see it this fire season. It's down in Chile, or at least it was...

I've actually gotten to pilot a Neptune P2V7...gotta love JATO! All the P2 was fit for after service was firefighting....it did a lot of firefighting....at least that little piggy could land on a short grass runway without any issues....no it wasn't a Neptune Aviation bird...the P2 was called the Neptune...like the P3 is the Orion...
    • ScareBear wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

No. C130 aircraft are 4 engine turboprops and eject retardant via a duct and nozzle system from the tail area. The ramp and door must be open when discharging retardant since the holding tanks, ducting and nozzles are modular and easily installed and removed thus allowing the aircraft to complete other types of missions.

The 747 tanker is way cool. I hear it's going to go back in service after the Evergreen debacle.N744ST(love the custom registrations these days) a 747-400 has just had the retardant delivery system from the original SuperTanker, a 200 series) installed in it, so we may get to see it this fire season. It's down in Chile, or at least it was...

I've actually gotten to pilot a Neptune P2V7...gotta love JATO! All the P2 was fit for after service was firefighting....it did a lot of firefighting....at least that little piggy could land on a short grass runway without any issues....no it wasn't a Neptune Aviation bird...the P2 was called the Neptune...like the P3 is the Orion...
      wow, you're a pilot with ratings to fly a P2? left seat?
    • chief wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

The 747 tanker is way cool. I hear it's going to go back in service after the Evergreen debacle.N744ST(love the custom registrations these days) a 747-400 has just had the retardant delivery system from the original SuperTanker, a 200 series) installed in it, so we may get to see it this fire season. It's down in Chile, or at least it was...

PP-ASEL. I had a buddy who was a MEI with a friend who actually owned a P2V7 privately. It was a free way to work towards a multi-engine rating in a cool aircraft! This was...30-something years ago...
    • ScareBear wrote:

chief wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

PP-ASEL. I had a buddy who was a MEI with a friend who actually owned a P2V7 privately. It was a free way to work towards a multi-engine rating in a cool aircraft! This was...30-something years ago...
      very cool!
      I always intended to take lessons, but never did. My younger brother did all the flying in the family. He was an F-15 pilot.
    • chief wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

chief wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

very cool!I always intended to take lessons, but never did. My younger brother did all the flying in the family. He was an F-15 pilot.
      (w/Ausie accent)...now that'a a plane!
    • Drybones wrote:

chief wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

chief wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

The 747 tanker is way cool. I hear it's going to go back in service after the Evergreen debacle.N744ST(love the custom registrations these days) a 747-400 has just had the retardant delivery system from the original SuperTanker, a 200 series) installed in it, so we may get to see it this fire season. It's down in Chile, or at least it was...I've actually gotten to pilot a Neptune P2V7...gotta love JATO! All the P2 was fit for after service was firefighting....it did a lot of firefighting....at least that little piggy could land on a short grass runway without any issues....no it wasn't a Neptune Aviation bird...the P2 was called the Neptune...like the P3 is the Orion...
      very cool!I always intended to take lessons, but never did. My younger brother did all the flying in the family. He was an F-15 pilot.
      (w/Ausie accent)...now that'a a plane!
      sure is.
      when i said my brother did all the flying in the family i completely forgot his twin sons. they both followed their dad's footsteps and fly in the air force, one an F-15 the other an F-16 (as you can imagine, they constantly argue discuss which is better)
    • Strike Eagle all the way. Complete air superiority. Just ask Israel...or maybe...ask Israel's neighbors....

Here's a clip of a fairly rare emergency take-off and ballistic climb of a StrikeEagle. Note how little runway is needed and how little horizontal distance is needed once he cleans and trims the bird before it goes full on ballistic. Too bad the audio isn't better. I've seen it in person and it will make you consider crapping yourself.

Still, the most impressive thing I've ever seen is a B1Lancer spool up with locked brakes, touch off all 4 afterburners and THEN release all brakes for a max speed rollout and emergency climb. That will make you a believer in the concept of sonic weaponry....
    • ScareBear wrote:

Strike Eagle all the way. Complete air superiority. Just ask Israel...or maybe...ask Israel's neighbors....

Here's a clip of a fairly rare emergency take-off and ballistic climb of a StrikeEagle. Note how little runway is needed and how little horizontal distance is needed once he cleans and trims the bird before it goes full on ballistic. Too bad the audio isn't better. I've seen it in person and it will make you consider crapping yourself.

Still, the most impressive thing I've ever seen is a B1Lancer spool up with locked brakes, touch off all 4 afterburners and THEN release all brakes for a max speed rollout and emergency climb. That will make you a believer in the concept of sonic weaponry....
      That would be some ride! Had to watch it twice...got chill bumps both times...that would have to be the ultimate thrill.
    • Dan76 wrote:

Beautiful, throughly enjoyed reading that, I like them PBY's and the Catalina's. :thumbsup:
    • Enjoying all the aviation talk. I've alway been a bit of an aviation nut, but never went as far as getting a pilots license. I did get into the cockpit of a 747 once. Summer of 1971 back in the day when a dad could ask the flight attendant to take his kid up to see the cockpit during a Trans pacific flight. Also got to fly with my cousin in his Cessna. He went on to fly F15s in the USAF and the fly for Delta. Also a good friend from down the street when I was growing up became a pilot with the Blue Angels. He now is the Captain of an aircraft carrier. I'm such an under achiever.

Every time I travel by air I marvel at large airliners. Last year I was at Zurich airport and saw a Singapore Air A380 take off right in front of the terminal window and almost immediately dissappear into the clouds. So cool. The idea that something that big could get off the ground, much less be in Singapore in 15 hours is just mind blowing.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• Drybones wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

That's a lot more impressive than the Piper Colt I owned for a few years back in my single days.

Not an F-15 but it sure is a cute little puppy.
      That's a generic, internet photo.
      Mine looked just like that but red where that one is maroon, the white was a different shade of white, and the thin horizontal stripe was black. Cruised at 104 mph indicated, and was fitted with a couple of gyros driven by a venture, 1 nav/com with a VOR indicator, and a transponder (mode C hadn't been invented yet) in addition to the usual required instruments.
    • uncle meat wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

That's a lot more impressive than the Piper Colt I owned for a few years back in my single days.

She's a beaut!Oh I do t know, I'd take a slow ride across the country at 3,000 feet in a piper cub j-3 over a jet any day...but then I'd take a sailboat over a power boat as well. :)
      Heck, I want to go even slower than that.
      I'd like to take about 6 months and ride my bicycle across the country stopping at will to meet people and see the sights.
      Years ago, when I used to ride with the Huntington Bicycle Club, I begged out of a cross the country ride because they were going to do it in a month.
    • LIhikers wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

She's a beaut!Oh I do t know, I'd take a slow ride across the country at 3,000 feet in a piper cub j-3 over a jet any day...but then I'd take a sailboat over a power boat as well. :)
      Heck, I want to go even slower than that.I'd like to take about 6 months and ride my bicycle across the country stopping at will to meet people and see the sights.
      Years ago, when I used to ride with the Huntington Bicycle Club, I begged out of a cross the country ride because they were going to do it in a month.
      A friend and I discussing plans for biking the Katy Trail looked at the town details along the way and after seeing there is a brewery or winery in every town concluded it may be like the Hebrews turning an 11 day hike into a 40 year sojourn.
    • Drybones wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

he's a beaut!Oh I do t know, I'd take a slow ride across the country at 3,000 feet in a piper cub j-3 over a jet any day...but then I'd take a sailboat over a power boat as well. :)
      Heck, I want to go even slower than that.I'd like to take about 6 months and ride my bicycle across the country stopping at will to meet people and see the sights.Years ago, when I used to ride with the Huntington Bicycle Club, I begged out of a cross the country ride because they were going to do it in a month.
      A friend and I discussing plans for biking the Katy Trail looked at the town details along the way and after seeing there is a brewery or winery in every town concluded it may be like the Hebrews turning an 11 day hike into a 40 year sojourn.
      I just might have to consider the Katy Trail 8o
    • LIhikers wrote:

Drybones wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

he's a beaut!Oh I do t know, I'd take a slow ride across the country at 3,000 feet in a piper cub j-3 over a jet any day...but then I'd take a sailboat over a power boat as well. :)
      Heck, I want to go even slower than that.I'd like to take about 6 months and ride my bicycle across the country stopping at will to meet people and see the sights.Years ago, when I used to ride with the Huntington Bicycle Club, I begged out of a cross the country ride because they were going to do it in a month.
      I just might have to consider the Katy Trail 8o
      The Katy is pretty but flat. It's an old rail bed. It does pass through quaint little towns with brewery's and/or wineries. You'll need fat tires filled with SLIME to enjoy the Katy and it's thorns and gravel....

To an average rider, the Katy should take all of 4 days, max....
    • LIhikers wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Heck, I want to go even slower than that.I'd like to take about 6 months and ride my bicycle across the country stopping at will to meet people and see the sights.
      crazyguyonabike.com

Contemplating a cross-country bike tour? The above site is replete with advice, routings, and accounts of such jaunts.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC