Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

just finished my morning walk in the desert and came face to face with a coyote. pretty cool; first time that i have experienced that.
      Did global warming accelerate and turn Georgia into a desert?
      i'm visiting in tucson right now; the desert is a 10 minute walk from the house.
      one state I've never been to, and it's on my bucket list
      Tucson is a city...just sayin
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • Today I hiked Big Run Loop, a 5.8 mile loop which includes about 1.2 miles of the AT. I hiked this circuit about 10 years ago, really no great views, but it was good exercise. I did see about 10 people on the loop. One group of six marched right by as I sat just 50 feet off trail, only the last person looked over and saw me- I knew I should have yelled BOO! Lunch was mac & cheese with bacon bits added and a shot of Markers Mark to warm the tummy. If your ever at the Rockfish Gap end of the park, stop and get some kettle corn. I think it's why the misses lets me go so often because she knows I'll bring her a big bag of it back. On the return trip home I like taking the back roads and stopping at the little road side country stores. Saw two groups of deer on the road and lots of tracks on the trail. SNP is deer central, the road needs a sign saying "Deer next 75 miles".
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • sheepdog wrote:

meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

just finished my morning walk in the desert and came face to face with a coyote. pretty cool; first time that i have experienced that.
      i'm visiting in tucson right now; the desert is a 10 minute walk from the house.
      Tucson is in Arizona...just trolling
    • When I came down into Rockfish Gap I was really happy to see that little stand. Grabbed some Gatorade and something to eat before walking to my motel just down the road. Had already totally eaten all of my food. :thumbup:

Only downside the next morning was the big weight difference in my pack with my resupply. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Tucson is in Arizona...just trolling
      My girlfriend lived there for three months for a nursing contract. When I visited her I called it "Tuckson" when speaking to the locals. That was a fun bit of trolling. :D
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Had a very fun walk last week from Cheshire MA to North Adams MA.

Weird weather, couldn't figure out what season to pack for and we got 3 of 4 seasons in a single weekend. Started with clear ground in Cheshire, and had clear ground at the summit, but the North and South slopes had constant snow cover, much of which was 3-4 foot deep, rotten snow drifts.

We went with 4 guys of which I was by far the "experienced" guy, however, while knowing better, we all skipped bringing snowshoes and spikes, because of the mild weather and wore marginal "waterproof" light boots (mine were a pair of previously bombproof boots that were well beyond their useful life). This proved a mistake, if not an understandable one.

Day one was fun but tough getting to Mark Noepel shelter, good times with old friends, we got wet in the freak 50 degree weather, but we got to a dry but trashed shelter where we easily warmed up.

The next morning was...um interesting. We did 2.8 miles to the summit and it took us nearly 5 hours due to the almost constant snow drifts, plus the last half mile of trail was a running steam that had a solid four inches of ice on top of it.

We got to the summit and had a great time, winds were high and weather was deteriorating. While on top we checked the radar and the "intermittent showers" we were expecting had been upgraded to a major thunder cell passing through (in $*&# February) which made it interesting. While I would never post Quasi-legal emergency camping tales on a website, there may or may not have been an emergency lodge at the summit that we took refuge in, after deciding that trying to outrun a major thunderstorm in sub-freezing conditions would have been an irresponsible decision. That said, the experience of waiting out a major electrical storm on top of Greylock is one to not be taken lightly. Watching the light on top of the memorial go out after a blinding flash of electrical purple is memorable, the multiple strikes after that in the pitch darkness is something else entirely.

The hike down Greylock was great, a sudden coldfront meant that we were hiking on top of the snowpack instead of through it. It was mostly downhill and we were able to appreciate things like the beautiful morning colors and the many, many fresh coyote tracks. Of course by the time we got to my car in North Adams there was no sigh of the last night's terrible weather. :D
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Looks like they finished up with the construction they were doing on the War Memorial Tower in early August.

Guess I will just have do a Thru in the future so I can see it (instead of being wrapped in scaffolding).
    • Astro wrote:

Looks like they finished up with the construction they were doing on the War Memorial Tower in early August.

Guess I will just have do a Thru in the future so I can see it (instead of being wrapped in scaffolding).
      Construction is still ongoing. The door was plywood, but the project as whole seemed to be going well.

P.S. I always look like a tool when I pose for a photo.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

Looks like they finished up with the construction they were doing on the War Memorial Tower in early August.

Construction is still ongoing. The door was plywood, but the project as whole seemed to be going well.

I worked with a man named Atul.

That is a strange way to spell Massachusetts.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

your hat and the building are a similar shape.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

I worked with a man named Atul.
      That is a strange way to spell Massachusetts.
      Looks like V instead of a U. The joint between stones of the last S makes it look like a $.
    • Astro wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

I worked with a man named Atul.That is a strange way to spell Massachusetts.
      Looks like V instead of a U. The joint between stones of the last S makes it look like a $.
      It is probably related to why W is not called a double V.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Astro wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

Construction is still ongoing. The door was plywood, but the project as whole seemed to be going well.P.S. I always look like a tool when I pose for a photo.
      It is in French. ;)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Astro wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

Construction is still ongoing. The door was plywood, but the project as whole seemed to be going well.P.S. I always look like a tool when I pose for a photo.
      It is in French. ;)
      And Spanish
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

While I would never post Quasi-legal emergency camping tales on a website, there may or may not have been an emergency lodge at the summit that we took refuge in, after deciding that trying to outrun a major thunderstorm in sub-freezing conditions would have been an irresponsible decision.
      Sleeping in the potty house again, eh? ;)

Naaah, I'm just jealous. I haven't done Greylock in about forty years, and never in winter. One of these years I have to haul my tired old arse back over there. Sounds like a great trip, and I'm seriously envious!

My wife always sees the pics that you say make you look like a tool, and says, "wow, your friend is a good-looking guy!" (Yes, she actually does say that.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

While I would never post Quasi-legal emergency camping tales on a website, there may or may not have been an emergency lodge at the summit that we took refuge in, after deciding that trying to outrun a major thunderstorm in sub-freezing conditions would have been an irresponsible decision.
      Sleeping in the potty house again, eh? ;)
      Naaah, I'm just jealous. I haven't done Greylock in about forty years, and never in winter. One of these years I have to haul my tired old arse back over there. Sounds like a great trip, and I'm seriously envious!

My wife always sees the pics that you say make you look like a tool, and says, "wow, your friend is a good-looking guy!" (Yes, she actually does say that.)
      I second her comment.

But don't get too excited about that as we're both OTD, I believe.
      :P So, you've got the mature woman seal of approval.
    • Washed my hiking pants yesterday. Today it was 40 degrees and sunny, albeit windy so went for a walk along the parkway which led me to go into the narrow woods along the river. Rained extremely hard Wednesday night and looked like the river had been over the banks. Returned home with very muddy pant legs; luckily they're convertibles so I will just zip off the lower legs and wash them.
    • Astro wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

That was actually the third, not the last S.
    • Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

I can imagine the trudge that that was up that trail. It was hard enough in the summer.
      Yeah, and I thought it was bad having to do it in the rain.But those blueberry muffins the next morning made it worthwhile! :thumbup:
      We managed to drink couple of cold beers on top with some cheeseburgers. That was great day.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

I can imagine the trudge that that was up that trail. It was hard enough in the summer.
      Yeah, and I thought it was bad having to do it in the rain.But those blueberry muffins the next morning made it worthwhile! :thumbup:
      Images
      • IMG_20160801_080214546.jpg

131.23 kB, 800×450, viewed 159 times
    • I took a walk this past Thursday in Fort DeSoto Park. As I paid my entrance fee, I asked the Ranger for a map and a suggestion for a good trail. She recommended the Arrowhead Nature Trail. Great suggestion. Saw some bald eagles and their nest; also some other VERY large bird, but not being a birder, I couldn't identify it. The trail with an optional loop is 2 miles. After that I walked some additional unmarked paths just north of Arrowhead, then I walked the nature trail again but at a fast pace. Altogether, I walked 6 miles.

Then I went across the road to the North Beach which has been ranked as one of the top beaches in the US. I can see why. Walked for a bit in the surf. There is a large sand bar about 30 yds out. You can walk out to it but at some point the water will be up to your chin, maybe nose, depending on how tall you are. I wasn't going to go out to it but saw a lot of people coming back with shells. I asked about them and they showed me some huge intact shells and even more amazing, my favorite, sand dollars. So, I walked out until the water was mid chest then swam until I could stand with the water around my knees. I found quite a few large awesome shells and 3 whole sand dollars; I was so happy. I went up on the sand bar to inventory my treasures and decide which ones to take back to shore and how to get them there. Took off my cap and folded it over them then repeated the process but swam sidestroke back to where I could easily stand again.

Pro tip: don't jump/swim in the Gulf with a key fob in your pocket.

So, I laid on my towel for awhile and dried off then walked to the car. Funny thing, it wouldn't automatically open the trunk, nor would it open the doors so I used the key to manually open the door. Then I stuck the key in the ignition and turned it. Saw a message that: KEY NOT RECOGNIZED. No Go! Pondered a bit then called the number on the keys In Case of Emergency (rented from Hertz). The first thing they asked was if I was safe. Yes, totally safe, just a key that doesn't work. Long story short, they called AAA and sent a tow truck to take the car back to Tampa where I exchanged it. Meant that I missed the Michigan/Kansas game. Oh well; at least I didn't miss my alma mater's game since they lost last Sunday.

So, the takeaway is don't let your newfangled keys get into water as they stop working.

It still was a glorious day at Fort DeSoto Park! 8)
    • Last car I rented was a Prius. Neither the doors, hatchback, nor ignition has a provision for manual use of a key. Everything operates off the RF signal from the fob.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Astro wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

It is in French. ;)
      And Spanish
      it's all Greek to me :D
    • I took a road trip from Alaska to Idaho through Canada. For anyone who has never experienced driving the Alaska Hwy/ALCAN I highly suggest it. This was my second trip and it was still just as breathtaking. We only hit one small patch of blizzard like conditions in The Yukon, which I considered a blessing for late March. I saw more wildlife than I could possibly count.

After making it to Idaho, my husband and I drove about an hour and a half from our new abode to see Shoshone Falls, which is where I took a walk. It was a very short walk. I don't kid myself at all about being in great shape, because I'm not. My husband is in amazing shape. Peak physical condition for his age and gender. So, when I say that he struggled too, I don't feel as whiny.

The viewing platforms for the falls are actually really easy to get to and super accessible from the parking lot. That wasn't a problem. We decided to walk on up the paved trail that appeared to be going up to some higher platforms and then all the way back up to the top of the plateau. All total, I would say it was maybe, MAYBE a few hundred feet of elevation gain. It wasn't anything that required a heroic effort on even a bad day. We, however, had been lulled in to a false sense of security with having not really struggled with unloading a moving truck and unpacking all of our worldly possessions or just walking around town.

The problem is that for the last decade the Army has managed to pretty consistently send us to place at or near sea level. When I think back on it, I think the highest elevation we've lived at was about 300 feet above sea level. Well, now we find ourselves in Idaho at 4600 feet above sea level. We are neither of us uneducated to the ways of acclimating to elevations, which is where I circle back to the false sense of security.

Yeah, we made it maybe a quarter of the way up that trail before we were both huffing and puffing like steam engines. Needless to say, I snapped a couple of quick pictures and we made our way back down. The views were worth it but man, I don't think I've ever worked so hard to take a walk.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • I grew up about 500 feet above sea level. My dad got transferred to Albuquerque, New Mexico. There was a warning sign at the base guest house to take it easy as most people that came there had a hard time going up the stairs due to the altitude change. I tried, being a teenager, to walk a little fast up the stairs. I had to stop at the landing. And slowly walk up the stairs. So I sort of understand.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Ewok11 wrote:

I took a road trip from Alaska to Idaho through Canada. For anyone who has never experienced driving the Alaska Hwy/ALCAN I highly suggest it. This was my second trip and it was still just as breathtaking. We only hit one small patch of blizzard like conditions in The Yukon, which I considered a blessing for late March. I saw more wildlife than I could possibly count.

After making it to Idaho, my husband and I drove about an hour and a half from our new abode to see Shoshone Falls, which is where I took a walk. It was a very short walk. I don't kid myself at all about being in great shape, because I'm not. My husband is in amazing shape. Peak physical condition for his age and gender. So, when I say that he struggled too, I don't feel as whiny.

The viewing platforms for the falls are actually really easy to get to and super accessible from the parking lot. That wasn't a problem. We decided to walk on up the paved trail that appeared to be going up to some higher platforms and then all the way back up to the top of the plateau. All total, I would say it was maybe, MAYBE a few hundred feet of elevation gain. It wasn't anything that required a heroic effort on even a bad day. We, however, had been lulled in to a false sense of security with having not really struggled with unloading a moving truck and unpacking all of our worldly possessions or just walking around town.

The problem is that for the last decade the Army has managed to pretty consistently send us to place at or near sea level. When I think back on it, I think the highest elevation we've lived at was about 300 feet above sea level. Well, now we find ourselves in Idaho at 4600 feet above sea level. We are neither of us uneducated to the ways of acclimating to elevations, which is where I circle back to the false sense of security.

Yeah, we made it maybe a quarter of the way up that trail before we were both huffing and puffing like steam engines. Needless to say, I snapped a couple of quick pictures and we made our way back down. The views were worth it but man, I don't think I've ever worked so hard to take a walk.

Those falls are mighty impressive, tks for the photos.
      I've only been to Idaho once (around the Nampa area) and I don't remember having an altitude problem even though I live at 120 feet above sea level.
      Of course at my age there's a lot of things I don't remember :P