Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My husband, a friend and I went exploring today. I've been trying to get out more and more to see new trails or walks. For the most part, they've just been short, easy walks. Today, we walked, ran, hopped, creek jumped, scree slid, bouldered and post holed around at Hatcher Pass. The pictures below are from different parts of the trek, that I couldn't even begin to put a distance on since it was in fits and starts up and down mountainsides. July in Alaska and there's still a good six/seven feet of snow in some of the bowls and shaded areas at 3800 feet and above.

The remnants of the Independence Gold Mine

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • I don't have much of a choice in where Uncle Sam decides to send my husband, so I try to make it as much of an adventure as I can and soak it all in while we're here, wherever here happens to be. I consider myself fortunate to live a life that allows for travel on a semi-regular basis. In the past decade, I've gotten to see most of the US and a chunk of Canada. I really wish the pictures could do justice to what the scenery up here really looks like. I live in a post card. I will miss the views when we leave here.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • I've been TDY to your area several times, always for training. Therefore I didn't have the opportunity to hike solo...except for a fishing expedition. I scheduled the time as 'Living off the land'.

Hopefully you and yours will get a PCS to Europe.

Tango Yankee for the pics..

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I took the kids to Raven Rock state park today and we walked 2.5 miles to the Cape Fear river and a rapid called Lanier Falls. We spent a couple of hours playing in the rapid and jumping off a big rock into the water just below the waterfall. The water was about 75° and perfect.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • My planned walk today is a no go...going into work...again. It's been so long since I've hiked that my legs won't know what to do. :(

I haven't had more that one day off in a row in over a month and I'm exhausted and stressed. It's hard to say no when people's lives are at stake.

Just needed to rant. Love y'all.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

My planned walk today is a no go...going into work...again. It's been so long since I've hiked that my legs won't know what to do. :(

I haven't had more that one day off in a row in over a month and I'm exhausted and stressed. It's hard to say no when people's lives are at stake.

Nurses rock! Thanks for your service TJ.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

My planned walk today is a no go...going into work...again. It's been so long since I've hiked that my legs won't know what to do. :(

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I've noticed with me after an extended lay off from walking that it's not to long before the legs say
      "Oh yeah, I remember this" and off they go. :)
    • mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I've noticed with me after an extended lay off from walking that it's not to long before the legs say"Oh yeah, I remember this" and off they go. :)
      I hope so.

Just poured a glass of wine to go with my whine. ^^
      Thanks for the love, friends.
    • I wasn't sure where to put this... :)

Today was my first hiking/biking trip! It was so much fun. I stashed my bike near the Cade's Cove picnic area, drove back down Laurel Creek Rd, and hiked 7 miles back to my bike. The trail was easy with only a few, short climbs. The heat was the hardest part of the hike and I was drenched with sweat by the end.

Around mile 4, a large bear ambled across the trail, 30-40 feet in front of me. He was heading west, down into an overgrown, 'bottom' area, totally oblivious to me. I grabbed a big stick (didn't have my hiking pole), stopped, waited, and listened until it seemed safe to move on. After 10 feet, I saw him near the trail to my east. I made some noise (I will make my confession later), and he chuffed and bolted further into the woods.

I was on a switchback and continued around the turn, hanging onto the stick and keeping an eye out. All of a sudden, another large bear came crashing up from the bottoms and onto the trail directly across the switchback from me. There were two of them! I think he was the first one that I saw.

It was exciting.

Cycling down Laurel Creek Rd. on a Friday afternoon was probably a bad idea. Traffic was terrible but the ride was exhilarating. After climbing the hill out of Cade's Cove, it's all downhill and I reached 35 mph. When I arrived at my car, there were at least 20 cars behind me. I felt like a jerk (but only a little bit).

It was an amazing day and I feel refreshed, energized, and ready to face tomorrow.
    • mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Lol, just realized yesterday was Thursday...they are all a blur.
      is there no rule or policy that says you have to take time off after working a certain amount, I would think in your field that would be encouraged, after all, people that work make mistakes, that's just the way it is, we're only human.
      You can only work 16 hrs in a 24 hr period, unless the facility has declared an emergency, like a weather emergency. Then you may be required to work indefinitely.

Labor laws are different for medical people. There is no guaranteed meal break and you can be required to work overtime.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

is there no rule or policy that says you have to take time off after working a certain amount, I would think in your field that would be encouraged, after all, people that work make mistakes, that's just the way it is, we're only human.
      You can only work 16 hrs in a 24 hr period, unless the facility has declared an emergency, like a weather emergency. Then you may be required to work indefinitely.
      Labor laws are different for medical people. There is no guaranteed meal break and you can be required to work overtime.
      same for cop work
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

All the folks I've known in the medical field report similar working conditions. One of the nurses I frequently hiked and camped with bought a new Jeep and was informed by her supervisor she was now #1 on the recall list during winter months as she was of the few folks with 4WD.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

You can only work 16 hrs in a 24 hr period, unless the facility has declared an emergency, like a weather emergency. Then you may be required to work indefinitely.Labor laws are different for medical people. There is no guaranteed meal break and you can be required to work overtime.
      All the folks I've known in the medical field report similar working conditions. One of the nurses I frequently hiked and camped with bought a new Jeep and was informed by her supervisor she was now #1 on the recall list during winter months as she was of the few folks with 4WD.
      Bad weather is no excuse to miss work. If bad weather is in the forecast, you're expected to sleep at the hospital...or you better show up the next day. I've never slept there and never missed a day for weather.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

You can only work 16 hrs in a 24 hr period, unless the facility has declared an emergency, like a weather emergency. Then you may be required to work indefinitely.Labor laws are different for medical people. There is no guaranteed meal break and you can be required to work overtime.
      Bad weather is no excuse to miss work. If bad weather is in the forecast, you're expected to sleep at the hospital...or you better show up the next day. I've never slept there and never missed a day for weather.
      Please note I wrote 'recall list'. Meaning she would be the first to be recalled outside her regular work hours.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I've spent some nights at work due to bad weather even though my job isn't a matter of life or death for anyone.
      Trying to drive in the New York City area in the snow is a PIA. This past winter we had one bad snowstorm and I showed up with my sleeping bag and a big bad of food as well as my backpacking stove, thinking the electricity would go out. It didn't, but I was the only one there for 3 days. I actually got more work than usual done without interruptions or disturbances.
    • Several times I've experienced weather conditions too severe for reasonably safe driving. Usually I was able to shelter in place at the workplace. However once I was with a team transiting I-40 across Tennessee enroute to Little Rock when we encountered an ice storm.

After installing chains on the truck we continued, but the greatest hazard came from the folks operating 4x4s usually with unsuitable tires. Nearly every such vehicle passing by was spotted a few miles further off the road.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • sheepdog wrote:

One thing I've noticed. A lot of people say the weather is too bad to go to work. Never heard someone say the weather is too bad to get home.
      Has been for me, had to park a couple of miles downhill at the grocery store park lit due to the snow and ice. So I call my wife and says since you are already there buy some flour and sugar so I can make cinnamon rolls (snow day tradition).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General