Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Took a walk today

rocksNsocks wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I went for a walk today. 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 on the treadmill. This weather sucks. Time for another glass of Maker's Mark to make it less sucky. Come on spring!
      I used to say that too JJ, then I gots me some snowshoes...open up a whole new world. :)

I did buy some yaktrax a few weeks ago when I went up to the SNP- I got tired of slippin' and slidin'. I prefer sippin'. :woohoo:
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Took a walk today

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Decided to walk next door to my brothers, less than 1/4 mile. Had to drop off some ham & beans I cooked up today & do some laundry. It's still winter here!

Nice pics Mike. I have one sister that lives about a mile away, and another that used use to live about 3/4 of a mile...but she moved, now she's 8 miles away...good to have them both near though...we walk to each others all the time.

..cept the one now, though I just may come the nicer weather.
    • Took a walk today

[/quote]Nice pics Mike. I have one sister that lives about a mile away, and another that used use to live about 3/4 of a mile...but she moved, now she's 8 miles away...good to have them both near though...we walk to each others all the time.

..cept the one now, though I just may come the nicer weather.[/quote]

Ride your bike!
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

Nice pics Mike. I have one sister that lives about a mile away, and another that used use to live about 3/4 of a mile...but she moved, now she's 8 miles away...good to have them both near though...we walk to each others all the time.

..cept the one now, though I just may come the nicer weather.[/quote]

Ride your bike![/quote]No way, people in jersey drive like idiots, hehe
    • Took a walk today

Lewis Fall/Blackrock Loop or To Yak or Not:
      I took a little loop hike near Big Meadows Campground today. It started like this:

So I put on my Yaktrax. Hiked down to the observation point over the falls:

Then back up the mountain via the Lewis Falls Trail:

and unyaked:

Had lunch at Blackrock, Idahoan Mashed potatoes mixed with Hormel Chili (new single soft packs)
      Cooked on my Birdbrain stove:

Had on my lucky Cafe Survival braclet>
      Lunch with a view.

Took the AT back. and saw 4 deer leaving.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Took a walk today

Rasty wrote:

I need to move to the mountains

It's about a 1-1/2 hour drive to the SNP for me( either the southern or central entrance). But my best friend lives in Daleville, VA and the trail is literally one block from his house- he lives right by the Kroger- and he has never walked it. But I leave my car at his house and he shuttles me all over SW Virginia.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I need to move to the mountains

It's about a 1-1/2 hour drive to the SNP for me( either the southern or central entrance). But my best friend lives in Daleville, VA and the trail is literally one block from his house- he lives right by the Kroger- and he has never walked it. But I leave my car at his house and he shuttles me all over SW Virginia.
      Lucky dog! :lol:

Good to get out!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Took a walk today

Kathy, our dog Tora, and I made an unplanned trip to Harriman State Park. Got there Friday night about 8PM and headed off a half hour later on our snowshoes. The sky was clear and the stars were out in their full glory. About 3 hours later we made camp near the shore of a lake I'll let go un-named. I only fell down 4 or 5 times in those 3 hours. It sure is hard to get up with snowshoes and a heavy pack on. We had brought our MSR white-gas stove and were able to have a nice hot dinner before climbing into our sleeping bags for the night. In the morning it was another hot meal and then we leisurely broke camp. With clear blue skys, a gentle wind and temperatures in the 50s it was a perfect day to be outdoors. We stopped at Dutch Doctor shelter for lunch and then made our way back to our car. Kathy took some photos I'll upload in a day or so.
    • Took a walk today

LIhikers wrote:

Kathy, our dog Tora, and I made an unplanned trip to Harriman State Park. Got there Friday night about 8PM and headed off a half hour later on our snowshoes. The sky was clear and the stars were out in their full glory. About 3 hours later we made camp near the shore of a lake I'll let go un-named. I only fell down 4 or 5 times in those 3 hours. It sure is hard to get up with snowshoes and a heavy pack on. We had brought our MSR white-gas stove and were able to have a nice hot dinner before climbing into our sleeping bags for the night. In the morning it was another hot meal and then we leisurely broke camp. With clear blue skys, a gentle wind and temperatures in the 50s it was a perfect day to be outdoors. We stopped at Dutch Doctor shelter for lunch and then made our way back to our car. Kathy took some photos I'll upload in a day or so.
      oh that's great, look forward to seeing them.
    • Took a walk today

LIhikers wrote:

Very nice.....I've been trying to squeeze the same quickie in since our walk.......something has always been in the way. No snowshoes, so snow mostly!
    • Took a walk today

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Hiked Rich Mountain Loop today, about 8.5 mi. Don't know how long it took...don't care. Had a great time with daughter. Made a snowman and named him ET.

8.5 is a decent hike especially if there was snow. Mine was only 4.5 and I was tried.

JJ, 4.5 miles is better than sitting at home. It doesn't matter how far you go, just being outside is a great way to recharge and find some inner peace.
    • Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Hiked Rich Mountain Loop today, about 8.5 mi. Don't know how long it took...don't care. Had a great time with daughter. Made a snowman and named him ET.

8.5 is a decent hike especially if there was snow. Mine was only 4.5 and I was tried.

JJ, 4.5 miles is better than sitting at home. It doesn't matter how far you go, just being outside is a great way to recharge and find some inner peace.

I agree. Come on people it was a nice day out there, let's hear your walk report.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Took a walk today

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I agree. Come on people it was a nice day out there, let's hear your walk report.

I've been sick as a dog since Thursday and just went outside for the first time this afternoon What a waste of a gorgeous weekend. 2.gif Really feeling sorry for myself. gif.011
    • Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I've been sick as a dog since Thursday and just went outside for the first time this afternoon What a waste of a gorgeous.
      weekend. 2.gif Really feeling sorry for myself. gif.011
      don't worry gorgeous, it gets better.
    • Took a walk today

I took a hike today with my son down in the pinelands. Was supposed to be a 12 mile hike, but the trail was flooded about 8" for as far as I could see. So we hiked on some sandy fire roads and checked out the village ... Batsto Village in Hammonton. It was a beautiful day for a hike, but not a swim.
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • Took a walk today

I thought I'd be doing a lot of walking this NFL winter, especially since I did all that radiation and chemo in Nov and Dec. I've found that this five days of chemo a month is kicking my ass. It's all I can do to go to work everyday.

I am still hoping to make it to Ron's Bash. Does anybody have the date on that?
    • Took a walk today

grayblazer wrote:

I thought I'd be doing a lot of walking this NFL winter, especially since I did all that radiation and chemo in Nov and Dec. I've found that this five days of chemo a month is kicking my ass. It's all I can do to go to work everyday.

I am still hoping to make it to Ron's Bash. Does anybody have the date on that?

http://appalachiantrailcafe.net/events-1.html

March 29
    • Took a walk today

moose717 wrote:

I took a hike today with my son down in the pinelands. Was supposed to be a 12 mile hike, but the trail was flooded about 8" for as far as I could see. So we hiked on some sandy fire roads and checked out the village ... Batsto Village in Hammonton. It was a beautiful day for a hike, but not a swim.
      I love flooded timber.

• Took a walk today

rocksNsocks wrote:

moose717 wrote:

I love flooded timber.

Nice steampunk hiker couture

Blacksmith wrote:

Getting to learn this site and reading around a bit. Didn't quite know where to put this so I guess "General" is the right place for this post.

Finger lakes trail? where abouts in the finger lakes? When I stayed up in Watkins glen for my birthday this past year we walked on what I was told was the finger lakes trail. Knocked out 5 miles. which I apparently thought was 2 miles lol. Whoops. Then turned around and headed straight for this gelato place around the corner from the glen. and then proceeded up "steep rd" apparently it gets its name for a reason lol that tuckered me out a lot faster than that level ish trail we took lol. I also found out that week that it can apparently get down in the 30's in the middle of summer and never assume. We only brought our bag liners and no sleeping bag. I felt 60 every morning that week. Stiff back and cold joints in the morning

Took a walk today. No pack and no A to B destination, wound up where I started from, right back at home. Since I took no pack and came back from where I left that was not a hike, correct? I'll just call it a walk then. Did stop for a beer on the way at roughly the halfway mark but not for long. Otherwise no stops just plod plod plod on the rails-to-trails path to where it branches with the Finger Lakes Trail. Eight miles out and eight miles back. My usual daily stroll is four to five miles. Rained like hell too but I loved every minute of it.
    • Took a walk today

LIhikers wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

............. Kathy took some photos I'll upload in a day or so.

OK, I figured out how to up-load the photos. They're in an album called Harriman Snowshoe Camping. The shelter you see in some of the photos is the Dutch Doctor shelter. We stopped there Saturday afternoon to have a hot lunch.

Very Nice....we needed some new walk pics!

Bekki wrote:

"Blacksmith" post=14741
      wrote:

Finger lakes trail?

I have a hike mapped out that involves the Finger Lakes Trail. I want to hike from NY City to my son's place in Ohio.
      The route would be the Long Path north into the Catskills where I'd pick-up the Finger Lakes Trail. Then it would be westbound across NY state to where the North Country Trail cuts down into PA. Then across the northwest corner of PA on the NCT to the Buckeye Trail in Ohio. From there it would be back roads, or maybe a bus to where my son lives.
      That's one of those maybe someday trips.
    • Took a walk today

I took a hike today. A funny thing happened and as soon as I hit the Sugarland Mountain Trail, I didn't feel like hiking. So I went about 3 miles, turned around, and found a warm spot in the sun and knitted. :lol:

The trail I was on had some tornado damage, probably from the big one in '11.
    • Took a walk today

I have never went for a hike and wound up knitting! Is this a new skill I have to learn to get to be a real hiker?

I will admit to going on a hike and falling asleep the first time I stopped for water and a break. It was a bit embarrassing to later realize that a number of people walked past me as I lay there snoring... :unsure:
    • Took a walk today

CaptNat wrote:

I have never went for a hike and wound up knitting! Is this a new skill I have to learn to get to be a real hiker?

I will admit to going on a hike and falling asleep the first time I stopped for water and a break. It was a bit embarrassing to later realize that a number of people walked past me as I lay there snoring... :unsure:
      as long as you didn't get the roof of your mouth sunburned....that's a good day.
    • Took a walk today

CaptNat wrote:

That sounds like my kind of hiking!
      The first time I stayed in a shelter, I made my niece promise to wake me every time I started snoring, I didn't want to be that person. After not sleeping for three nights, I decided I didn't care anymore.