Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sleeping Bag

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jimmyjam wrote:

I've tried the foam pad on top and under my inflatable, and for me it's definitely warmer and feels better with the foam pad on top. However sometimes I bring the foam along in the summer and I'll put it under the inflatable because it will keep it from sliding around.
      It has something to do with warm air getting trapped in the cells of the CCF pad or something like that. And the warmth gets lost to the ground at a slower rate with the CCF in the middle.

But it sounds like one of those things that people have to try for themselves. Some people, like Mr. Llhikers, like the CCF on bottom for protection against puncture.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

I have the Western Mountaineering Antelope, as a side sleeper the width allows me to pull my knees up to stay real warm. I pair it with an X-Therm.
      Good point, I sleep the same...on my side with knees up. I worried the extra space would make me feel colder.
      Sandy, for what temp range do you use the Antelope? I’d like to use it up to 30’s, at least.
      The Antelope comes out to play below 25 degrees. My homemade quilts are used above that. I have not tested the Antelope down to its 5 degree rating, but it is very warm to 10.
    • odd man out wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

I have the Western Mountaineering Antelope, as a side sleeper the width allows me to pull my knees up to stay real warm. I pair it with an X-Therm.
      Following as I may also be in the market for a cold weather bag someday. I also like to sleep a fetal position. That's what I like about my quilt I use for warm weather conditions. But a lot of people don't recommend quilts for cold weather sleeping.
      I use quilts for winter hammocking, and that works out fine. No doubt different when you are on the ground. If I camped in subzero conditions, then I think I would want a tent or at least a hammock sock for the extra protection and warmth.

Traffic Jam wrote:

Holy crap, I just paid $600 for a sleeping bag. It better last the rest of my life. :)

I got the 5* Antelope with overfill. If it’s good enough for Sandy...
      Keep it a safe distance from that winter campfire, trust me, I know....
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

Has anyone warned TJ about the morning problem you get from being in a warm, comfortable sleeping bag when it's freeeeeeezing outside?
      I have a hard time making myself climb out into the cold to get the day started--- brrrrrrrrrr
      One year 'Mr. Coffee' came the MLK weekend. The smell of fresh roast made it a bit easier to get our of the bag.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Has anyone warned TJ about the morning problem you get from being in a warm, comfortable sleeping bag when it's freeeeeeezing outside?
      I have a hard time making myself climb out into the cold to get the day started--- brrrrrrrrrr
      One year 'Mr. Coffee' came the MLK weekend. The smell of fresh roast made it a bit easier to get our of the bag.
      That was the night Surebridge Shelter roof was leaking.....on me!!!! And we heard that baby Coyote in the morning!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Now remember that year.
      Kathy and I hiked in during the night, in pouring rain, arriving at camp about 1AM.
      When we woke up everybody was packed up and heading out.
      I guess all the coffee was gone because I don't remember any real coffee.
      What really impressed me was them carrying Coyote as well as all their camping gear
    • The bag arrived yesterday, I was so excited to get home from work to find it waiting for me. It is awesome, the quality is fantastic, the loft is incredible. Seriously, it’s perfect, not too roomy, not too snug...just right. I can cinch the hood so only my nose and mouth are exposed and it doesn’t feel claustrophobic.

My only worry is that it will be too warm. I soooo want to try it out but have two more days of work in this stretch. I’m hoping for Wednesday, temps will be down to 31*, although it’s probably not cold enough.
      Images
      • AC2A96DB-1B6C-4392-89F4-54C8FD1FCFCA.jpeg

80.42 kB, 325×600, viewed 12 times
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • This bag is like sleeping on a cloud, I love it! I tried it out last night on my deck in 28* with snow flurries and stayed toasty warm. The test was only for an hour and it was so comfy, I nearly fell asleep. If I ever get a day off, I’ll set up the tent and try it all night.

Y’all have no idea how happy this makes me.
      Images
      • 6E88D0F6-6DBB-4085-B89D-D36A669BF5A9.jpeg

176.92 kB, 798×600, viewed 10 times

Stephan Pastis
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

This bag is like sleeping on a cloud, I love it! I tried it out last night on my deck in 28* with snow flurries and stayed toasty warm. The test was only for an hour and it was so comfy, I nearly fell asleep. If I ever get a day off, I’ll set up the tent and try it all night.

Y’all have no idea how happy this makes me.
      I'm glad to hear that it worked out well and that you are happy with your choice.
      Next time around try it when the temperature is in the teens. Gradually work down to the bags rating and see if it's true for you.
    • CoachLou wrote:

I had some communication with him after that hike. They were planning on a thru with Coyote. Then she got Lyme, then they were expecting a second pup! He does post at ToS anymore and I don’t go on his antique Mercedes site........ haven’t heard from or of him in a while
      They must have been sucked into the dark vortex of parenting :) It should spit them back out in another 20 years.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I had some communication with him after that hike. They were planning on a thru with Coyote. Then she got Lyme, then they were expecting a second pup! He does post at ToS anymore and I don’t go on his antique Mercedes site........ haven’t heard from or of him in a while
      They must have been sucked into the dark vortex of parenting :) It should spit them back out in another 20 years.
      Almost through with my fourth and final one! Senior year with biggest decision of him choosing which college he is going to play baseball at.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General