Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

MLK VII

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• IMScotty wrote:

I will contact Rafe to see if he wants to join us this year. Has anyone heard from Another Kevin?
      Hi, I'm here - I don't hang out on the hiking sites much because life has got seriously in the way of hiking the last 2-3 years, and when I hang out on hiking sites, I get the grumbles. :(

I already sent Coach Lou regrets for this year, but it looks as if the alignment of the stars is shifting. My feet are both OK at the moment, my eye surgeon has blessed the travel, and there's coverage for the church music. So it looks as if my daughter and I can make it after all. I'm out of shape and I've put a lot of pounds back on, but I'd be happy to see you guys!

Big Hill on Saturday, you said? How are people coming up to it?

Cathy can't make it Friday night, because she has patients to look after right up to the end of the work day). We'll be arriving some time during the day Saturday.

I was thinking of coming in up the Suffern-Bear Mountain trail from one of the parking areas off of 202 so that we can get at least a little bit of actual walking in. But if people are hiking in another way, maybe we'll start somewhere ahead of you on whatever route you're planning and let you catch up. Let you? We can't stop you from catching up - we're SLOW.

If you're SOBO on the Long Path, we could start from the Skannatati parking, or if you're coming across on the Tuxedo-Mount Ivy we could park at Sebago. 106 stays open east of the Kanawauke circle, and 7 Lakes stays open south of the Long Mountain circle.

If we hike in from one of the side trails, can someone shuttle us back on Sunday to get our car? (We're entirely willing to walk back again, but I don't want to have to start pre-dawn in order to be at Bear Mountain in time for brunch ;) )
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

I will contact Rafe to see if he wants to join us this year. Has anyone heard from Another Kevin?
      Hi, I'm here - I don't hang out on the hiking sites much because life has got seriously in the way of hiking the last 2-3 years, and when I hang out on hiking sites, I get the grumbles. :(
      I already sent Coach Lou regrets for this year, but it looks as if the alignment of the stars is shifting. My feet are both OK at the moment, my eye surgeon has blessed the travel, and there's coverage for the church music. So it looks as if my daughter and I can make it after all. I'm out of shape and I've put a lot of pounds back on, but I'd be happy to see you guys!

Big Hill on Saturday, you said? How are people coming up to it?

Cathy can't make it Friday night, because she has patients to look after right up to the end of the work day). We'll be arriving some time during the day Saturday.

I was thinking of coming in up the Suffern-Bear Mountain trail from one of the parking areas off of 202 so that we can get at least a little bit of actual walking in. But if people are hiking in another way, maybe we'll start somewhere ahead of you on whatever route you're planning and let you catch up. Let you? We can't stop you from catching up - we're SLOW.

If you're SOBO on the Long Path, we could start from the Skannatati parking, or if you're coming across on the Tuxedo-Mount Ivy we could park at Sebago. 106 stays open east of the Kanawauke circle, and 7 Lakes stays open south of the Long Mountain circle.

If we hike in from one of the side trails, can someone shuttle us back on Sunday to get our car? (We're entirely willing to walk back again, but I don't want to have to start pre-dawn in order to be at Bear Mountain in time for brunch ;) )
      AK, great to hear from you, and even better that you get to be a part of MLK VII ! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Looks like you folks are in for some winter weather........

Friday
      Snow, mainly before 10am. High near 40. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
      Friday Night
      Partly cloudy, with a low around 23.
      Saturday
      A 30 percent chance of snow after 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 34.
      Saturday Night
      Snow before 3am, then snow and sleet. Low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
      Sunday
      Rain and sleet before 9am, then snow. High near 34. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
      Sunday Night
      A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7.
      M.L.King Day
      Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 18.
      Monday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 8.

Of course where we're going the forecast calls for 3 days in a row with the daily high temperature of below zero.
      And the other days aren't much warmer :D
    • hello all. i've revised my plans to include lots of day hikes and snow shovelling over the weekend, in mixed weather, without driving to Bear Mountain! Sunday morning just sounds too crappy to drive home, and Sunday night sounds too cold to be, well, wet and cold. so... anybody mind if i cancel that brunch reservation? my guess is that the weather is going to be bad enough so walk ins will be welcome!
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!
    • My friends, I am officially pulling the plug on the cheesecake being at Big Hill Shelter. The main issue being the hike out and drive home Sunday. This does appear to be the general feeling of folks here, ToS and HBs FB page. I will post this on ToS in the morning.
      So, how does Groundhog Day sound? I can not do the ninth, and HB can’t do the 16th. Throw some ideas out there, overload hasn’t made the cheesecake yet!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • So I guess the park got 5”, the rain came mid morning, which we would have been on are way out. I don’t know the road conditions then, but we have taken that sleigh ride to the Inn before.
      Kevin got a lot, and Scotty got it real icy, which would have made their drives bad. For safety’s sake I’m okay with us bugging out. But now I am jonesing even worse to get out. If I remember MLK I was to break up that cabin fever. HB and I have already decided we can’t wait , and will be at Big Hill Shelter on Ground Hogs Day...... but do I want him to not see his shadow?!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

I don’t know the road conditions then, but we have taken that sleigh ride to the Inn before.
      The last MLK that had the sleigh-ride, they closed the Thruway. I know that's a "don't care" for you Connecticut folks heading east over the Bear Mountain bridge, but that would have been a real challenge for me getting home. (Don't know what happened this weekend, didn't check the conditions downstate.)

We got about a foot and a half of fluffy snow up here over the weekend. I didn't want to leave my wife to deal with it, and our yard guy has been laid up so I couldn't pay him to do it.

I used full-up winter gear walking to work today because it was -2 °F and blowing a gale, with wind chills down to -30 or so. Facemask and goggles. Hillsounds and poles because road salt does doodley-squat in these temps.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • CoachLou wrote:

So I guess the park got 5”, the rain came mid morning, which we would have been on are way out. I don’t know the road conditions then, but we have taken that sleigh ride to the Inn before.
      Kevin got a lot, and Scotty got it real icy, which would have made their drives bad. For safety’s sake I’m okay with us bugging out. But now I am jonesing even worse to get out. If I remember MLK I was to break up that cabin fever. HB and I have already decided we can’t wait , and will be at Big Hill Shelter on Ground Hogs Day...... but do I want him to not see his shadow?!
      What happens if Hiker Boy sees his shadow?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

So I guess the park got 5”, the rain came mid morning, which we would have been on are way out. I don’t know the road conditions then, but we have taken that sleigh ride to the Inn before.
      [IMG:https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.635354186.1088/flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg]
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

[IMG:https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.635354186.1088/flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg]
      Cof124
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Sounds like you folks made the right call.
      Meanwhile Kathy and I were out in northern Minnesota doing a dogsled camping trip.
      It was clear blue skies and night time low temperatures of -17, -37 and, -38.
      The dog sledding part was a blast but my fingers and toes were rarely warm enough.
      I still haven't downloaded the photos from my camera, but when I do I'll share some of them.
    • More photos
      Images
      • 167.JPG

284.72 kB, 800×450, viewed 373 times
      • 175.JPG

234.7 kB, 800×450, viewed 302 times
      • 185.JPG

179.11 kB, 800×450, viewed 312 times
      • 181.JPG

195.75 kB, 800×450, viewed 323 times
      • 201.JPG

180.07 kB, 800×450, viewed 319 times