Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

One year sabbatical just about over

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• One year sabbatical just about over

Hi all,

Back and at the tail end of a one year sabbatical. I walked a bit, road tripped in between the two longish walks, and getting ready to move out of Colorado within the week.

Going to go in business for myself with a mixture of IT support (residential and small business focused), probably some guiding when I get my WFR in the coming months, and more freelance writing. I don't expect to make what I earned as a corporate IT dude on the Front Range, but think I'll be happier. :)

Anyway, hello again! :)
    • PaulMags wrote:

Hi all,

Back and at the tail end of a one year sabbatical. I walked a bit, road tripped in between the two longish walks, and getting ready to move out of Colorado within the week.

Going to go in business for myself with a mixture of IT support (residential and small business focused), probably some guiding when I get my WFR in the coming months, and more freelance writing. I don't expect to make what I earned as a corporate IT dude on the Front Range, but think I'll be happier. :)

Anyway, hello again! :)
      Great for you PaulMags!!! :thumbup:
      I left the full-time corporate IT world 15 years ago to spend more time with 4 my children (last 3 sons). I have to say I do miss the $, but do enjoy the flexibility of the time as a college professor. Spent a lot of time with them through scouts, coaching sports, and now myself hiking in the summer (when I can stay healthy). Wife probably misses the $ more than I do, but now as the last son finishes high school, oldest starts a job in corporate IT today, and middle son well into college (graduates Dec 2019), I believe it was worth it. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • What advice would y’all give to a young person who is graduating with a degree in Computer Systems who wants a good, work/life balance? He wants to have lots of time to be adventurous. He doesn’t want work to rule his life. I suggested work 6 months, play 6 months but who would hire him for only 6 months? His good friend works for a non-profit and gets tons of time off for hiking/kayaking/adventuring.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

What advice would y’all give to a young person who is graduating with a degree in Computer Systems who wants a good, work/life balance? He wants to have lots of time to be adventurous. He doesn’t want work to rule his life. I suggested work 6 months, play 6 months but who would hire him for only 6 months? His good friend works for a non-profit and gets tons of time off for hiking/kayaking/adventuring.
      Get a job where he can get valuable experience for a few years, and take consulting gigs around his adventures after that. Of course the thriftier they are the more adventures they can do.
    • Astro wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

What advice would y’all give to a young person who is graduating with a degree in Computer Systems who wants a good, work/life balance? He wants to have lots of time to be adventurous. He doesn’t want work to rule his life. I suggested work 6 months, play 6 months but who would hire him for only 6 months? His good friend works for a non-profit and gets tons of time off for hiking/kayaking/adventuring.
      Get a job where he can get valuable experience for a few years, and take consulting gigs around his adventures after that. Of course the thriftier they are the more adventures they can do.

YES!

And if the person gets in a relationship, make sure their partner is on board for that, too. Very easy to end up becoming a provider as opposed to a partner. Ahem.... :)
    • fwiw, i'm a cpa but if i could do it all over again instead of "being" an accountant i'd "teach" accounting (and business) in high school.

couple months off in the summer -- week day ends at 3:30 -- no weekends -- great bennies...

now...where's twistwrist to tell me i'm crazy? :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

fwiw, i'm a cpa but if i could do it all over again instead of "being" an accountant i'd "teach" accounting (and business) in high school.

couple months off in the summer -- week day ends at 3:30 -- no weekends -- great bennies...

she's out chasing an even less obtainable dream.
    • chief wrote:

max.patch wrote:

fwiw, i'm a cpa but if i could do it all over again instead of "being" an accountant i'd "teach" accounting (and business) in high school.

she's out chasing an even less obtainable dream.
      she just got engaged, so hopefully her dreams have come true and will continue to do so.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

My wife is a High School English teacher and she would say being a college professor is much more flexible. Of course I end up teaching a lot of other "extra" classes now at different places to fund my adventures and help with the expenses.