Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

rookie needs advice!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• rookie needs advice!

Seeking input for an overnight on the AT.
      2 hikers, fairly fit, reasonable outdoors experience.

Planning on starting evening of 8/15, somewhere (approx 7pm) near the MD/PA border, hiking north.(presumably leaving our car here?)
      Wishing to spend the next day, 8/16, hiking at leisurely rate for the better part of the day.
      We want to make it back to our car early evening, before sundown (see question 2)

I'm having a difficult time navigating all the various sites and maps out there.

Questions:
      1. How do I predict how far to hike relative to campsites and water?

2. shuttle services to/from car? OR UBER?

3. Are we better served doing an out and back?

So grateful for your time in responding!
    • i'm going to state my understanding of what you want to do -- to make sure i understand your plan -- before i give you my thots.

you are going to arrive at the trailhead at 7:00 pm on day 1. you are going to overnight on day 1. on day 2 you are going to hike, and you want to be back at your car early evening that same day.

here are my thots...

it gets dark 8:30ish. so at 7:00 you really need to start setting up camp. so you need to camp really really close to where you park your car. so...

i'd just make a camping reservation at pine grove furnace state park. the AT goes thru it. bring your backpacking gear and set up your tents and cook dinner as if you were 10 miles deep in the woods. do the same for breakfast. then just do an out and back day hike leaving your tent,sleeping bags, etc in you car and just taking your lunch and water using a day pack instead of a backpack.

when you're ready to hike for 2 full days -- say 8-10 miles a day -- with an overnite i can come up with a more interesting itinerary.

for planning future trips i would recommend you get a copy of the thru-hikers companion from the ATC.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Wise Old Owl wrote:

trailsource.com/?type=HIKE&article=601
      trailsource.com/?type=HIKE&id=12627&f=1

Enjoy! Caledonia to Pine Grove.

Carlin’s AT Shuttle Service 570-345-0474 or 570-516-3447. Shuttles anywhere in PA (based in Pine Grove, PA) (AWOL)
      that's a 20 mile hike for a self described rookie -- much too aggressive in my opinion.

now...if they had 2 full days to hike that would be something to consider. there's a shelter just about right in the middle -- two 10 mile days is reasonable.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Carlin’s AT Shuttle Service 570-345-0474 or 570-516-3447. Shuttles anywhere in PA (based in Pine Grove, PA) (AWOL)
      that's a 20 mile hike for a self described rookie -- much too aggressive in my opinion.
      now...if they had 2 full days to hike that would be something to consider. there's a shelter just about right in the middle -- two 10 mile days is reasonable.
      OK so I found the information and the shuttle... that for-fills the request. He posted this on multiple websites. What is is your real issue? 2 days and 20 miles ..UH forgettable.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

that's a 20 mile hike for a self described rookie -- much too aggressive in my opinion.now...if they had 2 full days to hike that would be something to consider. there's a shelter just about right in the middle -- two 10 mile days is reasonable.
      OK so I found the information and the shuttle... that for-fills the request. He posted this on multiple websites. What is is your real issue? 2 days and 20 miles ..UH forgettable.
      one of the "days" starts at 7:00 pm.
      2,000 miler
    • shamus_Smith wrote:

Seeking input for an overnight on the AT.
      2 hikers, fairly fit, reasonable outdoors experience.

Planning on starting evening of 8/15, somewhere (approx 7pm) near the MD/PA border, hiking north.(presumably leaving our car here?)
      Wishing to spend the next day, 8/16, hiking at leisurely rate for the better part of the day.
      We want to make it back to our car early evening, before sundown (see question 2)

I'm having a difficult time navigating all the various sites and maps out there.

Questions:
      How do I predict how far to hike relative to campsites and water?

1. Experience. No one can tell you how far you can hike before you are dog tired or drink the water in your pack. I figure on 15 miles per day on most sections of the AT, but I've stopped after 9 miles when my body protested. I've covered 8 miles on 2 quarts of water and I've finished 2 quarts of water in 4 miles on a hot & sultry day. Don't pass a water source unless you know you can make it to the next one.
      2. Where is the next campsite / shelter / water source? AT guidebooks are your friend and companion.
      2. shuttle services to/from car? OR UBER?

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy has a list of shuttlers on their site. Don't count on UBER in rural areas.

3. Are we better served doing an out and back?

Only you can make that call. My first backpacking trip on the AT was an out-n-back overnight trip. Worked for me. If you aren't intimate with your shoes / boots or gear, you might be better served with an out-n-back so you don't need to keep pushing forward to reach your vehicle or pick-up point.

So grateful for your time in responding!
      Here's a possible agenda.

8/15 - park at the PA Route 16 trail crossing around 7 pm and hike north. Carry enough water to remain hydrated for the next hour. Hike 2.1 miles and arrive at the Deer Lick Shelters around 8 pm and set up camp in the waning twilight or by headlamp.
      8/16 - Filter / treat water for breakfast and hydration. Hike north for 13.2 miles. Stop at water sources to filter / treat water as required. At a leisurely 2 mph, you'll cover the miles in 6.5 - 7.5 hours. That puts you at Route 30 and Caledonia State Park. Call for a shuttle or UBER ride back to your car. (*)

(*) You may find that there are no UBER drivers in the area, or that you don't have cell service, or that the shuttler isn't answering their phone. My experience is that it is best to hike back to your car - do the shuttling before the hike.

As to your questions, my answers are in-line in the quoted post above.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • max.patch wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

https://www.trailsource.com/?type=HIKE&article=601
      https://www.trailsource.com/?type=HIKE&id=12627&f=1

that's a 20 mile hike for a self described rookie -- much too aggressive in my opinion.now...if they had 2 full days to hike that would be something to consider. there's a shelter just about right in the middle -- two 10 mile days is reasonable.
      one of the "days" starts at 7:00 pm.
      Yeah, what's yer deal Max? Just hike all night and all the next day. UH easy peasy!!