Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

DIY quilt

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I spent this rainy day making a quilt for my buddy, Time Zone. He provided the Costco quilt and the excellent schematics and photos. It is nearly finished but will have to wait until Saturday.

TZ got the instructions from someone on Hammock forums. m.imgur.com/gallery/kOXYm

The hardest and most tedious part is removing the seams from the baffles. I found this YouTube video about picking out seams on a Costco quilt. It wasn’t always as easy as he makes it look, but it helped a lot. I can also recommend listening to music or a good book to pass the time while doing this step. :)

Images
      • 62777D4A-4378-4826-83F9-A24605D51DD2.jpeg

258.57 kB, 800×600, viewed 11 times
      • 96338AFD-48BB-4666-BCB1-E4950029BD8E.jpeg

98.45 kB, 450×600, viewed 8 times
      • A047E758-3A58-4E5A-8C65-5A4A11E99459.jpeg

261.19 kB, 800×600, viewed 9 times
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • The schematics and a photo of what the quilt will look like when it’s finished. Rather, what it’s supposed to look like.
      Images
      • 9B373D84-8604-48E6-8FC5-6DFB6EEF16FB.jpeg

240.55 kB, 800×600, viewed 7 times
      • 6777F8EA-0E35-412D-B918-D285DBA82932.jpeg

125.6 kB, 467×600, viewed 7 times
      • D791BCE3-257E-49CC-A44E-7F3A0866775C.jpeg

120.85 kB, 450×600, viewed 8 times
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Your a brave girl. I'm scared of working with down. I just know I'd have those little feathers everywhere.
      JJ, thats the great thing about the costco quilts. They’re already put together and are very inexpensive. You can make lots of things with them. One trick to controlling the feathers is to sew two, parallel seams and cut between them. (In knitting, it’s called a steek, not sure what it’s called in sewing.). There were minimal, flying feathers on this project.

Stephan Pastis
    • Specifically, i sewed my seams about half an inch away from the existing seams, then cut. With the baffles, there are already a lot of seams in the quilt.

The most tedious part was removing seams to turn the squares into long tubes. But, i learned something...i should have done this with my down skirt to make it less bulky.

Stephan Pastis
    • New

Oh fluffy and warm down topquilt, is there any lousy day you can't make better? :thumbsup:

Many thanks to Traffic Jam! I want to pay her back, just need to figure out what sort of financial spreadsheet she likes best. :P

With friends like TJ, who needs alteration shops that have no guts to try this sort of thing?
    • New

Time Zone wrote:

Oh fluffy and warm down topquilt, is there any lousy day you can't make better? :thumbsup:

Many thanks to Traffic Jam! I want to pay her back, just need to figure out what sort of financial spreadsheet she likes best. :P

With friends like TJ, who needs alteration shops that have no guts to try this sort of thing?
      Your friendship is payment enough. :)

I’m very happy it turned out good.

Stephan Pastis