Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

New Hamshire Section Hike

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • New Hamshire Section Hike

      I'm packing the house as we speak and moving out July 15th. I'm taking my son-in-law Jeffrey hiking for two weeks. The 160 miles from Maine to Vermont should work perfectly for us. Then back home to get started on the "New Tent".
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

      I'm packing the house as we speak and moving out July 15th. I'm taking my son-in-law Jeffrey hiking for two weeks. The 160 miles from Maine to Vermont should work perfectly for us. Then back home to get started on the "New Tent".
      Cool! We might just have the first Cafe head-on trail collision in New Hampshire.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      Rasty wrote:

      I'm packing the house as we speak and moving out July 15th. I'm taking my son-in-law Jeffrey hiking for two weeks. The 160 miles from Maine to Vermont should work perfectly for us. Then back home to get started on the "New Tent".
      Cool! We might just have the first Cafe head-on trail collision in New Hampshire.
      When are you there? Must get a beer if possible.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Missed it by 'that' much...

      Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch August 8th - 11th.

      Perhaps some geocaching:

      Rasty leaves something around Kinsman Notch for jimmyjam
      jimmyjam moves the item forward to Franconia Ridge for Stalking Tortoise
      Stalking Tortoise deposits the item near Crawford Notch for Coach Lou

      If it's a bottle of booze, it will be easy to carry for me and Coach Lou, since it will be empty by the time I get it. :D
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Crawford Notch NH.
    • Rasty wrote:

      Between moving, divorce, new girlfriend, quitting job, building my camper van and the wedding this is going to be the least well researched section hike of my life. Leaving Monday and I haven't done anything.
      Don't worry, the views should be awesome!
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Rasty wrote:

      Between moving, divorce, new girlfriend, quitting job, building my camper van and the wedding this is going to be the least well researched section hike of my life. Leaving Monday and I haven't done anything.
      Sometimes the best trips are like that. It'll all fall into place.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Rasty wrote:

      Between moving, divorce, new girlfriend, quitting job, building my camper van and the wedding this is going to be the least well researched section hike of my life. Leaving Monday and I haven't done anything.
      Enjoy the trip, it'll all fall into place once it starts.
      Plus, enjoy the new life adventure you're setting out on.
      And like Astro said, avoid the NYC area as much as possible.
    • Rasty wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Rasty wrote:

      I'm packing the house as we speak and moving out July 15th. I'm taking my son-in-law Jeffrey hiking for two weeks. The 160 miles from Maine to Vermont should work perfectly for us. Then back home to get started on the "New Tent".
      Cool! We might just have the first Cafe head-on trail collision in New Hampshire.
      When are you there? Must get a beer if possible.

      Rasty wrote:

      I love NYC
      If I ever drive there again I'll take a gun....to shoot myself.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Went to NYC when I was 12. Saw Hello Dolly on Broadway, saw the Yankees play, ferry to Staunton island and statue of liberty. Don't like big cities. Only go there now to change trains.
      I'm with you man, go to the woods, not the city....more than three is a crowd.
      I live near a town of 36,000 and I think it's grown to be just about too many for me. Before that my cabin in the woods was near a town of only 6,000. So the move to 36,000 was a shock to my system.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Rasty wrote:

      Between moving, divorce, new girlfriend, quitting job, building my camper van and the wedding this is going to be the least well researched section hike of my life. Leaving Monday and I haven't done anything.
      Can we have a few pics... of the camper van... possibly you with the new girl etc.....
      Why question the intentions of a road-crossing chicken?
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

      Rasty wrote:

      Between moving, divorce, new girlfriend, quitting job, building my camper van and the wedding this is going to be the least well researched section hike of my life. Leaving Monday and I haven't done anything.
      Can we have a few pics... of the camper van... possibly you with the new girl etc.....
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

      Wise Old Owl wrote:

      Rasty wrote:

      Between moving, divorce, new girlfriend, quitting job, building my camper van and the wedding this is going to be the least well researched section hike of my life. Leaving Monday and I haven't done anything.
      Can we have a few pics... of the camper van... possibly you with the new girl etc.....

      Wow big van! don't forget to insulate before the walls and wiring go in!
      Why question the intentions of a road-crossing chicken?
    • Rasty wrote:

      Wise Old Owl wrote:

      Rasty wrote:

      Between moving, divorce, new girlfriend, quitting job, building my camper van and the wedding this is going to be the least well researched section hike of my life. Leaving Monday and I haven't done anything.
      Can we have a few pics... of the camper van... possibly you with the new girl etc.....

      That looks like my basement...only more organized.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • My hike ended late on day one. My son-in-law had a fractured hip last year that we thought was fully healed. His hip gave out about a mile from our first campsite. Yesterday morning we very slowly walked out to the car. The last time I took him hiking he had foot problems and I dropped him off at a greyhound station. With this injury not being healed his Army career is over unless a hip replacement surgery happens soon. We are heading back home and hopefully he gets an appointment with the VA soon.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

      My hike ended late on day one. My son-in-law had a fractured hip last year that we thought was fully healed. His hip gave out about a mile from our first campsite. Yesterday morning we very slowly walked out to the car. The last time I took him hiking he had foot problems and I dropped him off at a greyhound station. With this injury not being healed his Army career is over unless a hip replacement surgery happens soon. We are heading back home and hopefully he gets an appointment with the VA soon.
      Oh geez. I’m so sorry. Hope everything works out for your SIL...and for you.

      It’s tough hiking with others. You pin your hopes and dreams on things that involve others and it’s hard when everything falls through.

      Yes, that’s a self-centered attitude but sometimes people deserve to be self-centered, especially those who have served others all their lives and for the first time, can enjoy life.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • to make a long story short after 22 chiropractic sessions (basically traction) i was walking 5 miles without pain and graduated from walking at the ymca or the soccer field (where i could quit at any minute and be close to the car) to 5 mile loops at the mountain. was getting ready to bump the mileage up to 6 miles.

      but then i did something stupid on my inversion table and reinjured myself. i'm back to where i was the first of the year; i can walk 2 miles (max) with pain both during and after the walk. i was hoping i did something muscular, but with no improvement for a month i don't think that's the case. so back to the doc's shortly.

      i think surgery is in my future but that's only after i exhaust every other option.

      but the good news is that i'm catching up on tv. :)
      2,000 miler

      The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

    • max.patch wrote:

      to make a long story short after 22 chiropractic sessions (basically traction) i was walking 5 miles without pain and graduated from walking at the ymca or the soccer field (where i could quit at any minute and be close to the car) to 5 mile loops at the mountain. was getting ready to bump the mileage up to 6 miles.

      but then i did something stupid on my inversion table and reinjured myself. i'm back to where i was the first of the year; i can walk 2 miles (max) with pain both during and after the walk. i was hoping i did something muscular, but with no improvement for a month i don't think that's the case. so back to the doc's shortly.

      i think surgery is in my future but that's only after i exhaust every other option.

      but the good news is that 'm catching up on tv. :)
      We had gone around 10 years without cable, but with my surgery coming up I went ahead and got DirectTV. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

      to make a long story short after 22 chiropractic sessions (basically traction) i was walking 5 miles without pain and graduated from walking at the ymca or the soccer field (where i could quit at any minute and be close to the car) to 5 mile loops at the mountain. was getting ready to bump the mileage up to 6 miles.

      but then i did something stupid on my inversion table and reinjured myself. i'm back to where i was the first of the year; i can walk 2 miles (max) with pain both during and after the walk. i was hoping i did something muscular, but with no improvement for a month i don't think that's the case. so back to the doc's shortly.

      i think surgery is in my future but that's only after i exhaust every other option.

      but the good news is that 'm catching up on tv. :)
      Oh man. That sounds painful and frustrating. Back problems are plentiful in my career but thankfully, I haven’t had issues yet.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis