Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

4th of July 2018

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 61..... I will chill this year. I WILL ride my bike! I believe I will get some lobsters. I’ve been pretty busy work and walking. This years walk week will be The Whites in August, so I gave this week to the owner, he is only going to take Thursday and Friday. HB and I will take a short walk somewhere Saturday/ Sunday. I’d like to do something vigorous the last week of July!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

61..... I will chill this year. I WILL ride my bike! I believe I will get some lobsters. I’ve been pretty busy work and walking. This years walk week will be The Whites in August, so I gave this week to the owner, he is only going to take Thursday and Friday. HB and I will take a short walk somewhere Saturday/ Sunday. I’d like to do something vigorous the last week of July!

Happy Birthday Coach Lou!!!
      gif.014.gif gif.014.gif :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: gif.014.gif gif.014.gif

(better a little early than late, always think of you when I see American Flags flying on July 4th)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

61..... I will chill this year. I WILL ride my bike! I believe I will get some lobsters. I’ve been pretty busy work and walking. This years walk week will be The Whites in August, so I gave this week to the owner, he is only going to take Thursday and Friday. HB and I will take a short walk somewhere Saturday/ Sunday. I’d like to do something vigorous the last week of July!
      Happy Birthday friend
    • I have today, the 4th, off as a paid holiday.
      I'm still getting used to the idea of holidays off, my last job we only got a holiday off if it fell on your regular day off :(
      I'm helping Kathy get ready for a week on the AT a little later in the month.

Here's an odd 4th thought.
      We had a war against the British to win our independence but now we're close allies. How odd is that, enemies become friends.
      That idea gives me hope that the nations of the world, and even individuals, might someday work out their disputes and differences.
      Happy 4th of July to one and all !
    • Happy Fourth everyone and Happy Birthday Lou and America!

What's everyone doing to celebrate? I cut the grass this morning, went to Bass Pro to get me a new fisheye compass for my pack belt, worked out my knees and now I'm enjoying an ice cold PBR on the patio. Cooking burgers on the grill later with corn on the cob and watermelon for desert!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

The post was edited 1 time, last by jimmyjam ().

• jimmyjam wrote:

Happy Fourth everyone and Happy Birthday Lou and America!

What's everyone doing to celebrate? I cut the grass this morning, went to Bass Pro to get me a new fisheye compass for my pack belt, worked out my knees and now I'm enjoying an ice cold PBR on the patio. Cooking burgers on the grill later with corn on the cob and watermelon for desert!
      Grilled burgers, brats, dogs, and veggies while my wife cut up watermelon and boiled sweet corn. Our family plus my nephew's. Then everybody chilled in the pool (some still out there).
    • We are doing very little. I made baked beans. I will grill steaks and corn. Drink beer, I mowed the lawn. A few years the changed the fireworks law in MI so now just about everything is legal. So if I want to see fireworks I just sit on the deck. There are several people behind us who apparently have more money than they need and put on shows better than the local cities.
    • hung out at the marietta square taking in the sights of the annual celebration. brats instead of my normal heatlhy diet. had wanted to go to rome tonight to see the class A braves (60 miles but no traffic) but they started a road trip today. so while at the square i went to the strand theater (est 1935, out of business 2000, renovated and reopened 2009) and saw the sandlot. i'm guessing a couple people here know the movie; here's a clip for everyone else. surprisingly busy -- maybe everyone needed an air conditioning break.

2,000 miler
    • jimmyjam wrote:

What's everyone doing to celebrate? I cut the grass this morning, went to Bass Pro to get me a new fisheye compass for my pack belt, worked out my knees and now I'm enjoying an ice cold PBR on the patio. Cooking burgers on the grill later with corn on the cob and watermelon for desert
      No celebration for me, have to work. Will have beer and popcorn when i get home.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • max.patch wrote:

hung out at the marietta square taking in the sights of the annual celebration. brats instead of my normal heatlhy diet. had wanted to go to rome tonight to see the class A braves (60 miles but no traffic) but they started a road trip today. so while at the square i went to the strand theater (est 1935, out of business 2000, renovated and reopened 2009) and saw the sandlot. i'm guessing a couple people here know the movie; here's a clip for everyone else. surprisingly busy -- maybe everyone needed an air conditioning break.

Your killing me Smalls. :)
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

What's everyone doing to celebrate? I cut the grass this morning, went to Bass Pro to get me a new fisheye compass for my pack belt, worked out my knees and now I'm enjoying an ice cold PBR on the patio. Cooking burgers on the grill later with corn on the cob and watermelon for desert
      No celebration for me, have to work. Will have beer and popcorn when i get home.
      That sucks! :(
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

And thanks for the work you do :thumbsup:
      You literally make people's lives better :!:
    • max.patch wrote:

hung out at the marietta square taking in the sights of the annual celebration. brats instead of my normal heatlhy diet. had wanted to go to rome tonight to see the class A braves (60 miles but no traffic) but they started a road trip today. so while at the square i went to the strand theater (est 1935, out of business 2000, renovated and reopened 2009) and saw the sandlot. i'm guessing a couple people here know the movie; here's a clip for everyone else. surprisingly busy -- maybe everyone needed an air conditioning break.

I could see Max.Patch as Squints the kid who has a crush on Wendy Peppercorn (the life guard), and faking drowning to get a kiss.
      She was sort of like the "local" Taylor Swift. :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I could see Max.Patch as Squints the kid who has a crush on Wendy Peppercorn (the life guard), and faking drowning to get a kiss.She was sort of like the "local" Taylor Swift. :D
      i'm crushin on wendy...squints is my hero!
      2,000 miler
    • During late afternoon, hiked on a mountain trail just a few blocks from the house. Stopped on a favored outcropping and watched the spectacular sunset over the Great Salt Lake which was made more colorful by smoke from one of the seven forest fires burning in the state.

These same fires prompted officials to order wide spread bans on fireworks. However after dark, folks intent upon celebrating the 4th sent thousands of dollars of fireworks skyward. Most years the resulting display would have been enjoyable, but not this year due to the fire danger. I spotted several Japanese lanterns drifting downwind.

After midnight, hiked down the trail and returned home. This am found firework residue scattered about the lawn and roof but no damage.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

During late afternoon, hiked on a mountain trail just a few blocks from the house. Stopped on a favored outcropping and watched the spectacular sunset over the Great Salt Lake which was made more colorful by smoke from one of the seven forest fires burning in the state.

These same fires prompted officials to order wide spread bans on fireworks. However after dark, folks intent upon celebrating the 4th sent thousands of dollars of fireworks skyward. Most years the resulting display would have been enjoyable, but not this year due to the fire danger. I spotted several Japanese lanterns drifting downwind.

After midnight, hiked down the trail and returned home. This am found firework residue scattered about the lawn and roof but no damage.
      Wow, wish I lived just a few blocks from a mountain trail. :thumbup:
    • Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

During late afternoon, hiked on a mountain trail just a few blocks from the house. Stopped on a favored outcropping and watched the spectacular sunset over the Great Salt Lake which was made more colorful by smoke from one of the seven forest fires burning in the state.

Wow, wish I lived just a few blocks from a mountain trail. :thumbup:
      Isn't that the truth! I do feel fortunate that I can hit the AT in several places in about 100 miles.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • max.patch wrote:

so i'm checking the schedule for todays activites on the square -- i know i'll be there at 8:00 for a concert by A1A (a jimmy buffett tribute band) and i noticed that once again they are showing the sandlot at the strand theater.

i immediately had an a-ha moment that i somehow missed last year.

edit (4 hours later) to add: just read an article on the 7 best movies to watch on the 4th of july. 2 of them were baseball movies -- the sandlot and a league of their own.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• And one again we celebrate the 4th by leaving the country. Tomorrow we are off to Canada for two weeks. Today we stay home to pit cherries, pack, make cocktails, and grill steaks. We will watch our neighbors shoot off giant firework displays thinking how nice it is for them to spend thousands of dollars to entertain us. Earlier this week I called my insurance guy to find out what kind of coverage I would be eligible for on my car rental. He explained the coverage but added it is only valid in the US. I said that doesn't help on this trip as we were going to Canada. He then said the coverage is valid in Canada too. I pause, roll my eyes :whistling: , and say "You do know that Canada is not in the US, right?" He replied, "Oh yes, I didn't think of that".
    • max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

so i'm checking the schedule for todays activites on the square -- i know i'll be there at 8:00 for a concert by A1A (a jimmy buffett tribute band) and i noticed that once again they are showing the sandlot at the strand theater.
      i immediately had an a-ha moment that i somehow missed last year.

edit (4 hours later) to add: just read an article on the 7 best movies to watch on the 4th of july. 2 of them were baseball movies -- the sandlot and a league of their own.
      You're killing me Smalls. ;)
    • The Athletic takes aim at a July 4 tradition event and tells us how to fix it.

"On top of that, I’m just flat-out sick of Joey Chestnut and his ilk being crowned great competitive eaters by eating the dog without the bun before dropping the buns in a dunk tank of tap water and/or sports drink to make it easier to fit in the carbs as quickly as possible.

These hot dogs should be eaten dog-in-bun and with condiments. Otherwise, you’re not eating hot dogs. You’re eating lies. Fix the contest."
      2,000 miler