Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Planning to fly to your hiking destination?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Planning to fly to your hiking destination?

Post-flight blood clots can catch even seasoned travelers by surprise, as travel writer Lindsey Campbell recently found out. She stretches before flights and moves around as much as she can—but after landing, she dismissed her calf pain as probably an injury from hiking.

Blood clots can form in veins deep inside the leg (hence the name “deep vein thrombosis” or DVT) if your knees are bent and you don’t move your legs for hours. The resulting clot forms in your calf, and causes soreness that proceeds to extreme pain. Here’s how Campbell describes it:
      After a flight—or, really, anytime—it’s good to know the signs to watch out for. If the clot is in your leg, you may experience:
      • Swelling in the lower leg
      • Cramps or tenderness in the lower leg
      • Redness or bruising
      • A swollen area that is warm to the touch
      Typically the symptoms are only in one leg, or more severe on one side than the other.
      What’s worse, pieces of the clot can break off and travel to the lungs, where they can interfere with your breathing. These are called pulmonary embolisms, and their symptoms include:
      • Shortness of breath
      • Pain with breathing, usually described as a stabbing pain
      • Rapid heart rate
      • Unexplained cough (as in, you don’t have a cold or any reason to be coughing), possibly with bloody mucus
      Don’t dismiss these symptoms, even if you feel like your flight wasn’t that long. Campbell’s clot probably came from a six-hour flight, where she spent nearly the whole time asleep with her legs crossed. Roomier seats make it easier to change position as you sleep, which is why clots are associated with airplanes in the first place (you can move around all you want in your bed at home).
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Interesting. I know a mistake I once made taking the train from Little Rock to NYC was unknowingly allowing myself to get really dehydrated.

I guess my journey to/from the AT would be planes, trains, automobiles, and buses. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General