Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The DUTCH OVEN THREAD!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The DUTCH OVEN THREAD!

I have had the pleasure of hanging out with my dad at an early age as he introduced me to camping. He was not much of a cook, but more of father who wanted to experiment while at a campsite with the old ways. He was fascinated with his childhood of Cowboys and Indians and the life of frontiers people. When we went camping it was all about the local museums and food of the period and good home cooked meals. I remember well over ten years ago setting up camp in Shenandoah. With small tents and a billy, and he brought out a Dutch oven. I built the fire and processed the raw potatoes & veggies from the local market. Derek my dad seared the chunks of meat, as we built a well balanced stew (he would include peas and celery) and still is a memorable moment in my family life. We as a family have introduced the old ways to my son as we prepared wood fires and cooking with a dutch oven. I wish I had pictures. I don't most of the images prior to 2003 as they are on another drive. So its time to do it again for Ashley and I found this video of interest, I will include new footage as soon as we get a chance. By the way - Ray here makes a critical mistake. See if you can figure it out. Hint- Its not the proofing. There are two correct answers.

Numerous studies suggest that eating a single steak significantly increases the vulnerability to consuming the warm entrails of a freshly killed hitchhiker. Gateway Cannibals!
    • odd man out wrote:

I don't know what he did wrong. The only thing we made in a Dutch oven was peach cobbler. That used a biscuit dough leavened with baking powder, not yeast.
      Ah I would love to make a peach cobbler... thanks!
      Numerous studies suggest that eating a single steak significantly increases the vulnerability to consuming the warm entrails of a freshly killed hitchhiker. Gateway Cannibals!
    • Give this video a chance... after a few minutes of watching - he is crazy smart. Dutch Oven baking isn't done on flames - but coals... instead of 45 minutes he is "getting it done" around 30 which sets this video apart. place close attention to the fuzz stick... I have never seen that before and it works with wet barked wood.

• odd man out wrote:

I don't know what he did wrong. The only thing we made in a Dutch oven was peach cobbler. That used a biscuit dough levened with baking powder, not yeast.
      In my time working with the Boy Scouts I was usually working with scouts on something else when some were doing Dutch oven cooking. In my memory the cobblers were the best results. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

• So hit the like button.... To change this up a small cut up carrot and stick of celery cut up for a little crunch "a mirepoix". I might have added a little cream. pay attention to the charcoal starter part. He is absolutely right. Avoid soaked Kingsford or quick start with Kerosene. Another idea - absolutely stop using Newspaper - tis the devil I tell ya. I never use Kingsford as even in the professional BBQ competitions the product is way too dusty! But in Dutch Oven - who cares - no smoke is needed - it just heat baby!

In this video he leaves the Golden Potato Skins on. Huge! that's where all the vitamins are.

Also - no flames - just heat and lots of fat. AWESOME!

The post was edited 3 times, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• I learned to cook on cast iron. Rule in my scout troop was meals were cooked from scratch. Nothing like a stew or chili that has simmered for hours on a cold winter trip! Cobblers are quick & easy. I'ven even stacked dutch ovens wen baking for a crowd to save on charcoal when doing a seminar on it. Love cooking on cast iron. Yeserday I had two pots going. One making goulash & another with the meat sauce for lasagna. Prepping for a show, both simmered for hours & aged for a day in the fridge & then frozen to be thawed at the show for easy meals. Lasagana will still have to bake, but the 2 hours of prep & simmer is done. I will still take a 10" fry pan for cobbles, crisps & anything else needed.