Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Ask a chef - is this for real? Nitrate

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ask a chef - is this for real? Nitrate

researchgate.net/publication/2…er_risk_An_updated_review
      Abstract
      Nitrite and nitrate are naturally occurring molecules in vegetables and also added to cured and processed meats to delay spoilage and pathogenic bacteria growth. Research over the past 15years has led to a paradigm change in our ideas about health effects of both nitrite and nitrate. Whereas, historically nitrite and nitrate were considered harmful food additives and listed as probable human carcinogens under conditions where endogenous nitrosation could take place, they are now considered by some as indispensible nutrients essential for cardiovascular health by promoting nitric oxide (NO) production. We provide an update to the literature and knowledge base concerning their safety. Most nitrite and nitrate exposure comes from naturally occurring and endogenous sources and part of the cell signaling effects of NO involve nitrosation. Nitrosation must now be considered broadly in terms of both S- and N-nitrosated species, since S-nitrosation is kinetically favored. Protein S-nitrosation is a significant part of the role of NO in cellular signal transduction and is involved in critical aspects of cardiovascular health. A critical review of the animal toxicology literature of nitrite indicates that in the absence of co-administration of a carcinogenic nitrosamine precursor, there is no evidence for carcinogenesis. Newly published prospective epidemiological cohort studies indicate that there is no association between estimated intake of nitrite and nitrate in the diet and stomach cancer. This new and growing body of evidence calls for a reconsideration of nitrite and nitrate safety.

Ingested nitrate and nitrite and stomach cancer risk: An.... Available from: researchgate.net/publication/2…er_risk_An_updated_review [accessed May 01 2018].
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WOO,

Since so many of these nutritional studies seem to contradict each other, I think it is only reasonable that each of us gets to pick and choose which studies to believe based on our own tastes.

Bacon is loaded with Nitrites,
      I love Bacon,
      This study says Nitrites are good for us,
      Therefor bacon must be good for us,
      I love this study,
      I believe it is completely valid,
      I'm gonna eat more bacon :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

Nuthin’ like a good hot dog...or three.
      Unless you can get a brat instead. 8)
      Had a class of students over a couple of weeks ago and grilled for them. Hamburgers pretty much gone, brats totally gone, but plenty of hot dogs left.
      Smart kids...that would have been my choice also....hey...I'm smart too! I have not been a fan of hot dogs since watching a TV special investigating hot hogs and bologna.....80% was rancid or on the verge....but now that I think about it, that doesn't mean it was true....FAKE NEWS!
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • odd man out wrote:

Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I like the aphorism "don't blame new problems on old foods"

Americans have developed an obesity problem in the last 25 years
      Americans have been eating bacon for hundreds of years
      Bacon does not cause obesity.
      Sitting on your a$$ all day watching TV eating chips and drinking beer may be the problem.
      ... and browsing hiking discussion fora.
      so is fora like the plural of forum?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I like the aphorism "don't blame new problems on old foods"

Americans have developed an obesity problem in the last 25 years
      Americans have been eating bacon for hundreds of years
      Bacon does not cause obesity.
      Sitting on your a$$ all day watching TV eating chips and drinking beer may be the problem.
      ... and browsing hiking discussion fora.
      so is for like the plural of forum?
      en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fora
    • At least he got you thinking outside the bun.

During my last physical since there was nothing wrong with me other than being overweight, the Doctor focused on me trying to cut down on carbs, and suggested if I had to have a hamburger to throw the top part of the bun off. He said it might be messy, but would cut the bread/carbs in half. I was also tempted to tell him you just don't go around trying to take a hiker's pizza away. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

At least he got you thinking outside the bun.
      During my last physical since there was nothing wrong with me other than being overweight, the Doctor focused on me trying to cut down on carbs, and suggested if I had to have a hamburger to throw the top part of the bun off. He said it might be messy, but would cut the bread/carbs in half. I was also tempted to tell him you just don't go around trying to take a hiker's pizza away. :)
      you can have that burger wrapped in a leaf of romaine lettuce -- but that just gives ya something else to worry about.
      2,000 miler