Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Roasted Cauliflower Chips

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• In an effort to cut carbs I tried the cauliflower rice with mixed veggies, it was ok thanks to the other veggies. So then I tried the "cauliflower mashed potatoes" and they were gross. Put the whole bag in my compost pile.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

I like cauliflower. What I don't get is ruining it by making it into something else (rice, mashed potatoes, chips). I haven't tried the chips, but they couldn't possibly be worse than kale chips.
      my wife makes roasted garlic cauliflower and also kale chips, both stank the house to high heaven! The kale chips I can tolerate, the cauliflower, we’ll, it’s cauliflower. I guess I’m a broccoli man.
    • well...i love me some real mashed potatoes -- but i plead quilty to making cauliflower "mashed potatoes" to avoid the sugar spike.

i saw on a cooking show where the host said to make mashed potatoes outta half potatoes and half cauliflower. but if i'm eating potatoes -- then i'm eating potatoes!
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

well...i love me some real mashed potatoes -- but i plead quilty to making cauliflower "mashed potatoes" to avoid the sugar spike.

i saw on a cooking show where the host said to make mashed potatoes outta half potatoes and half cauliflower. but if i'm eating potatoes -- then i'm eating potatoes!
      If you mix mashed potatoes and rutabagas you will have the classic Scottish dish "Neeps and Tatties". Be advised if you look up the recipe on line, it may call for "Sweeds" or "Turnips", but that translates to "Rutabaga" in American English. I usually have a rutabaga in the refrigerator as they are a key ingredient in Pasties (it's a MI thing). But they are so big, I can never use a whole one at once, so there is always leftovers. Fortunately they essentially last forever, so they don't go to waste.

When I was in college, I was stuck living on campus for a week between semesters one year. Since my meal plan had ended and the dining halls were closed, I have to fend for myself for food, but had little money. I went to the grocery store and the cheapest thing they had was a rutabaga the size of my head for 25 cents. So I ate rutabagas all week. Fortunately, I'm a Swede (Swedish-American, that is), so I guess it runs in my blood.
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

well...i love me some real mashed potatoes -- but i plead quilty to making cauliflower "mashed potatoes" to avoid the sugar spike.

If you mix mashed potatoes and rutabagas you will have the classic Scottish dish "Neeps and Tatties". Be advised if you look up the recipe on line, it may call for "Sweeds" or "Turnips", but that translates to "Rutabaga" in American English. I usually have a rutabaga in the refrigerator as they are a key ingredient in Pasties (it's a MI thing). But they are so big, I can never use a whole one at once, so there is always leftovers. Fortunately they essentially last forever, so they don't go to waste.
      When I was in college, I was stuck living on campus for a week between semesters one year. Since my meal plan had ended and the dining halls were closed, I have to fend for myself for food, but had little money. I went to the grocery store and the cheapest thing they had was a rutabaga the size of my head for 25 cents. So I ate rutabagas all week. Fortunately, I'm a Swede (Swedish-American, that is), so I guess it runs in my blood.
      ...throw in some Haggis (now available in the States as an import band was lifted in the last year or so) and you’ll have a Burns Night Dinner (typically done around Christmas)...don’t forget to recite some poetry.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

The only way I eat okra is fried.
      At least I think there is some okra under that deep fried batter. :)
      I like it boiled also....slides right down.

Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

I like it boiled also....slides right down.
      If I did that I would be afraid it might come right back up. <X
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

And fried zucchini.

Another favorite of mine is to slice potatoes, onions and yellow squash all about 1/4" and fry it up together until tender and the potatoes are starting to brown- yummy!!!!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

And fried zucchini.
      Another favorite of mine is to slice potatoes, onions and yellow squash all about 1/4" and fry it up together until tender and the potatoes are starting to brown- yummy!!!!
      I love it when I am grilling outside and my wife slices up veggies for me to cook on the grill (various peppers, zucchini, mushroom, asparagus, etc..).
      That is probably a little healthier then deep fried, but still really good.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

And fried zucchini.
      Did you forget the jalapenos?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • mmmmmm... Jalapenos, bacon and cheese.

Cauliflower rice or cauliflower mashed potatoes; veggie patties and TVP. In this day and age of decrying overly processed food, has anyone stopped to notice that the vegetarian and vegan cr@p is the most overly processed?

It's nice to enjoy vegetables as vegetables.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.