Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Mountain House

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mountain House

I was at our local hardware store this morning. It really is one of the greatest hardware stores, but the camping supplies are crap. You know the kind of place that sells lightweight folding trenching shovels, machetes, and snake bite kits. But I was looking at the Mountain House Meals. I've never used dehydrated pre packaged camping meals before. I thought it was amusing that it said the 150 g package "serves three". But what made me really laugh out loud was the expiration date of Oct, 2047. I wonder how they know it's October and not September? Cof123
    • odd man out wrote:

I was at our local hardware store this morning. It really is one of the greatest hardware stores, but the camping supplies are crap. You know the kind of place that sells lightweight folding trenching shovels, machetes, and snake bite kits. But I was looking at the Mountain House Meals. I've never used dehydrated pre packaged camping meals before. I thought it was amusing that it said the 150 g package "serves three". But what made me really laugh out loud was the expiration date of Oct, 2047. I wonder how they know it's October and not September? Cof123
      That was just the recommendation, probably good for at least another 10 years. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • The FDA requires lots of testing even when you decide to "manufacture" something like iced tea drinks. So yes some things can be out of date and still be OK. Mountain House provides this answer on their website

30 Year Shelf Life*
      Based on our ongoing sensory and nutrition testing of actual Mountain House products, in July 2016, we raised the shelf-life on our Mountain House meals to 30 years. Purchased Mountain House before then? That’s okay! Our Taste Guarantee is retroactive to products dating all the way back to 1986.
      We confidently claim a 30-year shelf life, because our testing has shown the shelf life exceeds 30 years. We’ve had independent studies performed on actual 30-year-old product stored under real-world conditions, which weren’t always ideal – not on newer product exposed to an accelerated –time environment in a laboratory. We’ve personally tasted products that were 35 years old and still taste great!
      Take Mountain House with you on your next outdoor adventure or store just in case that next storm knocks your power out.
      *Ice Cream products & Cheesecake Bites have a 2-year shelf life. MCWs (previously known as LRPs) have a 3-year shelf life.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • lol, my thru was 30 years ago -- funny that if i had any leftover mountain house i could have it for dinner!

i just checked my journal hoping i could talk about the neat place i was 30 years ago -- but i was taking a few zeros and hiking around washington d.c. i left the trail at compton gap in the snp. dinner at murphys irish pub in old towne alexandria of which i remember absolutely nothing about.
      2,000 miler