Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Harpers Ferry (STONEY BROOK FARM)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Stoney Brook Farm----We are a 45 acre certified organic farm in rural Loudoun County, Virginia. Our mission is to grow quality local organic crops using sustainable practices. We sell our vegetables and fruit through our Farm Market on Route 9. We are located in the historic town of Hillsboro, Virginia. We also sell wholesale to a number of organic produce markets in the greater Washington, DC area. We believe in preserving farm land for agriculture and protecting the historical heritage of Northern Virginia. Our soil fertility is maintained through the use of cover crops, compost, and crop rotations. We grow most vegetable crops including many heirloom varieties.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • max.patch wrote:

speaking of broadway :) anybody else remember joe namath's fast food restaurant? there was one on on US1 between miami and homestead. didn't last very long -- probably cuz they didn't sell reubens.

we're doin a real fine job with thread drift!

[IMG:http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/joe-namath-broadway-joes-miami-restaurant-1969_1.jpg]
      Surprised it didn't last with the number of NY snowbirds in Florida.

On a related note, the guy who runs Mother Marian's Hostel in Wolf Laurel near Sams Gap NC refers to many of his neighbors as halfbacks. They retired from New York to Florida then moved halfway back to get out of the summer heat.

Nary a Reuben to be found in Sams Gap.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

max.patch wrote:

speaking of broadway :) anybody else remember joe namath's fast food restaurant? there was one on on US1 between miami and homestead. didn't last very long -- probably cuz they didn't sell reubens.

we're doin a real fine job with thread drift!

[IMG:http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/joe-namath-broadway-joes-miami-restaurant-1969_1.jpg]
      Surprised it didn't last with the number of NY snowbirds in Florida.
      On a related note, the guy who runs Mother Marian's Hostel in Wolf Laurel near Sams Gap NC refers to many of his neighbors as halfbacks. They retired from New York to Florida then moved halfway back to get out of the summer heat.

Nary a Reuben to be found in Sams Gap.
      In Franklin, NC a good portion of the summer crowd and even permanent residents are from FL. They call them Floridiots.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

In Franklin, NC a good portion of the summer crowd and even permanent residents are from FL. They call them Floridiots.
      And when folk from California go up to Oregon, I hear they call it Californication.
      Nothing but Baltimorons up here in southcentral PA. If there's a car doing the speed limit in the left lane with 10 cars backed up behind it, you can bet that it has a Maryland tag.

Maybe it's time to re-define the 12 Tribes:

Floridiots
      Halfbacks
      Massholes
      EZPAssholes (crawl through the automated toll lanes at 5 mph)
      Baltimorons
      Califoricators
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

And when folk from California go up to Oregon, I hear they call it Californication.
      Nothing but Baltimorons up here in southcentral PA. If there's a car doing the speed limit in the left lane with 10 cars backed up behind it, you can bet that it has a Maryland tag.
      Maybe it's time to re-define the 12 Tribes:

Floridiots
      Halfbacks
      Massholes
      Baltimorons
      Califoricators
      now hold on, the term Baltimorons runs much deeper than just traffic idiocy. I lived in Baltimore for 4 years, their dumbassary knows no bounds.
    • chief wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

Nothing but Baltimorons up here in southcentral PA. If there's a car doing the speed limit in the left lane with 10 cars backed up behind it, you can bet that it has a Maryland tag.Maybe it's time to re-define the 12 Tribes:

Floridiots
      Halfbacks
      Massholes
      Baltimorons
      Califoricators
      now hold on, the term Baltimorons runs much deeper than just traffic idiocy. I lived in Baltimore for 4 years, their dumbassary knows no bounds.
      Maybe that is why the Boss when out for a ride and never came back. :)
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

Nothing but Baltimorons up here in southcentral PA. If there's a car doing the speed limit in the left lane with 10 cars backed up behind it, you can bet that it has a Maryland tag.Maybe it's time to re-define the 12 Tribes:
      Floridiots
      Halfbacks
      Massholes
      Baltimorons
      Califoricators
      Maybe that is why the Boss when out for a ride and never came back. :)
      Like a river that don’t know where it’s flown’
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

All the cars with Maryland plates that I see on I95 here in VA are driving like they just robbed a bank and have the cops on their tail, 15 to 20 mph over the speed limit.
      I learned to drive in MD, but it was the DC area, not "Balmer". For fun we would play "Beltway Bumpercars"
      Reminds me of driving in Brazil. Was like go cart racing. Get in, push the pedal to the floor, and try to avoid hitting anyone (or being hit). :)
    • This has got to be from a member of the group. "Jobs for after you are done hiking the trail." Meaning: they hope you will join the cult. Posts like this should be taken down. Fine people can worship as they please. But this forum is for the trail hiking community and its intent is to promote that, not for members who post here hoping they can divert people from their hike to join a religious group.

A Case of the James, Mishmash & potroast.

The post was edited 4 times, last by hikallover ().

• I understand how you feel hikeallover and it’s a valid comment but the spirit of this site is that it isn’t heavily moderated. It was created when another site took moderation too far so the administrators try to avoid being heavy-handed. The members self-moderate pretty well.

We also talk about a lot of stuff that isn’t hiking related (but try to avoid politics).

I personally have strong feelings against the 12 Tribes, their doctrine and practice of child abuse but their presence near the AT does make them a relevant topic.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • My daughter took me to the Yellow Deli once. The food was good but the workers walked around like zombies, never smiling, no personality. It was bizarre and that’s when I started learning about the 12 Tribes. I’ve read their rules for child rearing and it’s barbaric. They even give the exact measurements for the tool that is used to beat babies and toddlers.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • What TJ said Hikallover.

We use a light hand here in terms of moderation. Discussion of the 'Twelve Tribes' seems pertinent to the AT community, both good and bad.

My limited experience with the twelve tribes has been in Lancaster, NH. They renovated a commercial building there, ran a retail clothing store, and at one time sold sandwiches. The sandwiches were absolutely delicious, so I can see how this could be a lure to hungry hikers. The men, women and children I met seemed healthy, happy and free to go about their business. Of course this is my view from the outside, and I have no experience as to what it is like to join the tribe. There was some friction at first, but I think that with time citizens of Lancaster seem to have accepted them into their community.

This past year they closed their seemingly successful business ('Simon the Tanner') and I think sold the building too. I do not know why they did that? Perhaps they are moving to another area, or just taking a different business direction. They have a larger community in nearby Island Pond, Vermont.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Yes perhaps there's no easy way to moderate it but it seems the poster is likely a member who posted not actually to talk about the AT, but to use the AT as a way to attract people to their group. They have no interest in this community other than to take people from it for their purposes. Did you see what happened in Australia with them? Malnourished women giving birth to stillborns who were secretly buried and then an elder who after leaving and going public died in a suspicious fire?

The post was edited 1 time, last by hikallover ().

• I never stayed at any of their places by choice. Plus the Inn at Long Trail is a great experience when around Rutland. I know I have stayed there at least three times (but I believe actually four). And one time was for two nights when I picked up my "orphan gap" miles from replacing my phone in 2016. :thumbup:
    • max.patch wrote:

I would never support the Twelve Tribes cult no matter how good their food was or how hungry I was. Having said that, the members of Donald Trump's cult are much more dangerous to the future of this country.
      He he he. Except that such a proposition is a continuation of the practice of calling almost everything we don’t like or understand a cult — something that is an insult to the few who actually suffer the effects of having been a victim of a cult. 46.8% of the United States population is not in a cult, we can be comforted to know. And we also have not seen any evidence to suggest that individual is prowling about these forms looking for recruits.
    • Can't we all just get along and eat Reuben's while listening to Blue Oyster Cult?

Asking for a friend.