Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Campmor might be in trouble

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Campmor might be in trouble

On the way home from hiking yesterday Kathy and I stopped at Campmor. As soon as we walked in we could see things were reorganized and on display. There was a large banner announcing a Spring Sale. I happened to mention to one of the salesmen that I'd never seen Campmor have a sale like this before. He went on to tell me that they were trying to sell as much of the merchandise as possible to raise money in hopes of surviving. If they are able to survive they'll be tightening up their product line and maybe even becoming a niche specialty shop or maybe just an on-line seller.. I guess only time will tell. Their web site is still up and running so we'll have to wait and see. The salesman seemed to think that Amazon is the reason for the company's trouble. Over the years I've spent a good amount of money at Campmor but even more, I've enjoy hours of wandering through the store ogling over the gear.
    • Cant compete with the internet. Seen it before. Over ,,,,,

Over....

Over again..

You can be dedicated to buying at your favorite army navy etc. And it happens most have a good 20 year run. look at EMS - they are goners.

CAMPMOR DOES AN ESTIMATED 66 MILLION PER YEAR

DICK'S SPORTING GOODS IS NEXT TO DIEING! THE OWNER IS AN ASS.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Wise Old Owl: EDIT FOR FINANCE ().

• i haven't been in dicks for probably 5 years. their backpacking stuff -- except for marmot rain gear -- is more car camping quality rather than backpacking. i've bought a fair amount of running shoes there and some weight lifting stuff. they have a large hunting department -- but i'm not a hunter so no clue as to it's quality. and golf sucks so i bypass that part of the store too.

i'm not worried about rei although i have no clue as to their sales history. their backpacking and cycling stuff looks like quality stuff to me. and while i've bought some of their clothing -- cold weather and rain gear gear, patagonia shorts cuz i like em, and some t-shirts -- i stay away from their $50 shirts. i can do much better at costco for that!
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i haven't been in dicks for probably 5 years. their backpacking stuff -- except for marmot rain gear -- is more car camping quality rather than backpacking. i've bought a fair amount of running shoes there and some weight lifting stuff. they have a large hunting department -- but i'm not a hunter so no clue as to it's quality. and golf sucks so i bypass that part of the store too.

i'm not worried about rei although i have no clue as to their sales history. their backpacking and cycling stuff looks like quality stuff to me. and while i've bought some of their clothing -- cold weather and rain gear gear, patagonia shorts cuz i like em, and some t-shirts -- i stay away from their $50 shirts. i can do much better at costco for that!
      They jumped after going into the stock market a "branding market" an expensive yoga pants & Nike etc. They hoped when Sport Authority died they could jump ahead. Reality? Will not make a difference.

usatoday.com/story/money/2017/…tail-bankruptcy/98682338/
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

Drybones wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Very sad, a favored stop! Our local pack has barely survived the internet. But, I did just buy a tent on-line, direct from the manufacturer :thumbsup:
      Don't keep us in suspense....what tent did you get?
      Sorry man! Lightheart Solong 6
      Look forward to seeing it when we walk together this summer. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • As it turns out, HB needs a new one. I think after 2 nites in it, I should have got the Duo. So he will buy a new Duo and we will trade. Plus, I really bought this for the cooler half of the year. Summer, I want the ventilation of the Hooch...... a lighter floor would be nice.
      And trying not to drift too far , the current Hooch tarp came from Campmor!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • I didn't even realize that Campmor was a brick & mortar store. I only know it from its very low-tech mail order catalog. We have very few outfitters (i.e. backpacking stores) in our area (no REI). There's a Dick's and Eddie Baure at the mall, but I don't count them as "outfitters". There is a Moosejaw downtown and a couple of reasonable local companies in adjacent towns. Since my goal as a backpacker is to carry as little gear as possible, catering to my needs is a really crappy business model.
    • Just a few years ago, I recall reading the Campmor paper catalog, marking items for further research. The well used Kelty down bag came from Csmpmor as will as several items of base and outer wear.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • One thing Campmor was always known for was their customer service.
      The sales people would spend as much time as you needed showing and explaining products to you.
      And if in the end the product didn't work out the way you wanted it to then they would take it back for a full refund.
      And that plain paper catalog was always well worn by the time we got a new one.
      Kathy and I bought our first tent, shortly after we were married from Campmor's predecessor, Morsans, which was here on Long Island.
    • Astro wrote:

When I first started out backpacking I bought a lot of gear from those Campmor catalogs. Don't need as much gear anymore, and search and compare more online now.
      But old nostalgic side of me misses that little paper catalog. :)
      Their emails get me to look online sometimes, but it just not the same. :(
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General