Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Planing the AT in the end of may for two weeks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Planing the AT in the end of may for two weeks

Hi,
      It´s my first time here.
      I´m from Austria, 53 years old and will hike the AT for two weeks. I have done a lot of planning, but if anybody can give me useful ideas, it would be great.
      First I will stay for 3 days in New York and will start from Bear Mountain as a northbounder.
      I have no information, how the weather in generell are at this time.
      Also I am looking for a hiking partner.
      greetings from Austria
      Stefan :) finger.gif
    • Not for sure how fast you will walk, but would recommend planning to stay at the following if you get that far:

1549.2 Upper Goose Pond Cabin (pancake breakfast)
      1587.0 Mt Greylock Bascom Lodge (Blueberry muffins)
      1651.8 Green Mountain House (Manchster, VT - best hostel I stayed at on the AT)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • happy69 wrote:

Hi,
      It´s my first time here.
      I´m from Austria, 53 years old and will hike the AT for two weeks. I have done a lot of planning, but if anybody can give me useful ideas, it would be great.
      First I will stay for 3 days in New York and will start from Bear Mountain as a northbounder.
      I have no information, how the weather in generell are at this time.
      Also I am looking for a hiking partner.
      greetings from Austria
      Stefan :) finger.gif
      Welcome to the Cafe and the US. Hope you have a great hike. I have not hiked that part of the trail, but I have been to New York City and my sister lives only 40 km from Bear Mountain. As for weather, you can expect it to be hot or cold or both. It will either rain or it won't. In other words, you have no idea what the weather will be. But I was thinking the that part of the US probably has a climate similar to Austria. So I went to a web page to look up historic weather records for the two locations and sure enough, they are almost the same:
    • The only useful idea I can offer is that once you start hiking, forget all that planning that you've done.
      You know when you're going to start, and you know that you've got 2 weeks to hike. Let everything between those 2 dates be flexible.
      Hike when you want to hike, eat when you want to eat, sleep when you feel like it, and just let the days roll on.
      Most important, ENJOY YOURSELF, have a good hike!