Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Astro on the AT 2018

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • My last option to complete the full section from Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch passed. Car is loaded and I'm hoping for an 11:00 departure for Hartland VT then onto the Gale River Trailhead tomorrow morning.

      I'll take lots of pictures on the trail up to Galehead.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Crawford Notch NH.
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

      My last option to complete the full section from Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch passed. Car is loaded and I'm hoping for an 11:00 departure for Hartland VT then onto the Gale River Trailhead tomorrow morning.

      I'll take lots of pictures on the trail up to Galehead.
      As best I have been able to research so far it starts off mild, but picks up in difficulty as you get closer to the AT.
      Have a great time and I have you have good weather.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

      Gale River Trail Guide

      The trailhead for the Gale River Trail is about 1.4 miles off of Route 3 via a gravel forest service road. Lots of parking on a Thursday morning but not a spot to be found on Saturday afternoon.



      Mile 1:
      Imagine walking on a treadmill set at a 5% incline through a nice deciduous forest.


      Mile 2:
      Add in some rocks and mud. Sometimes the incline goes up to 7%.


      Mile 3:
      After crossing a bog bridge, the trail actually descends for a few tenths. Some of those feet you have been slowly gaining are being taken away. After crossing the next bog bridge, the ascent continues at 10%. There's actually a view along the Gale River.


      Mile 4:
      The ascent increases to a 15% incline. You think you must be getting close to the AT but a descending hiker informs you that you will know when you get to 'real' climb.

      The real climb:
      Rock stairs. New Jersey has the 'Stairway to Heaven'. The Gale River Trail has the 'Stairway from Hell'.


      Took me 2 hours & 45 minutes to reach the AT. The kids in the Galehead Hut Croo do it in 2 hours with 60 pounds of perishable foods on their packboards.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Crawford Notch NH.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

    • New

      Had a scare last night. Went out to my garage in the dark to quickly grab something out of a vehicle while wearing Crocs. Did not see a wet spot and slipped/flew through the air and landed on my right side. My knee was bent back, but my hip took the brunt of the fall. Only thing going through my mind then was had I just destroyed all the progress of my surgery and rehab. Wife had me take 4 ibuprofen, ice knee, and went to bed. :S

      Fortunately I had a PT rehab appointment this morning and he checked things out and then put me through an hour exercises, so no damage done. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

      Glad to hear it wasn't any worse than it was. :/

      Since I'm also reviewing ways to get back up to Franconia Ridge, may I offer a suggestion?

      What about taking the Old Bridle Path (shuttle stop) or Greenleaf Trail (both 2.7 miles) to the Greenleaf Hut, then continuing on 1.1 miles to the summit of Lafayette? Granted, you'll have to re-trace your steps on the AT from Lafayette to the Garfield Ridge Shelter (3.9 miles), but you might get those views that you missed the first time. In my humble opinion, this would be easier than hiking up the Gale River Trail and backtracking the 2.1 miles to Garfield Ridge Shelter (4.2 miles total). My buddy Sox didn't have many kind things to say about those 2.1 miles. Then again, he didn't much care for the waterfall descent before the Garfield Ridge Shelter either.

      If you're already looking at using the huts through Pinkham Notch, add Greenleaf to the schedule and have fun!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Crawford Notch NH.
    • New

      Astro wrote:

      Had a scare last night. Went out to my garage in the dark to quickly grab something out of a vehicle while wearing Crocs. Did not see a wet spot and slipped/flew through the air and landed on my right side. My knee was bent back, but my hip took the brunt of the fall. Only thing going through my mind then was had I just destroyed all the progress of my surgery and rehab. Wife had me take 4 ibuprofen, ice knee, and went to bed. :S

      Fortunately I had a PT rehab appointment this morning and he checked things out and then put me through an hour exercises, so no damage done. :thumbup:
      Glad to hear that you're OK.
      I hope you don't wind up sore over the next few days.
    • New

      StalkingTortoise wrote:

      Glad to hear it wasn't any worse than it was. :/

      Since I'm also reviewing ways to get back up to Franconia Ridge, may I offer a suggestion?

      What about taking the Old Bridle Path (shuttle stop) or Greenleaf Trail (both 2.7 miles) to the Greenleaf Hut, then continuing on 1.1 miles to the summit of Lafayette? Granted, you'll have to re-trace your steps on the AT from Lafayette to the Garfield Ridge Shelter (3.9 miles), but you might get those views that you missed the first time. In my humble opinion, this would be easier than hiking up the Gale River Trail and backtracking the 2.1 miles to Garfield Ridge Shelter (4.2 miles total). My buddy Sox didn't have many kind things to say about those 2.1 miles. Then again, he didn't much care for the waterfall descent before the Garfield Ridge Shelter either.

      If you're already looking at using the huts through Pinkham Notch, add Greenleaf to the schedule and have fun!
      Thanks I will look into those other options. Weather that day might end up being the deciding factor. Also good to know and understand your options ahead of time. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General