Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Astro on the AT 2018

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New

Day 7
      0.2m back to Garfield Trail and then another 4.8m down to trailhead. Slept last night on all the dry clothes I had left other than a pair of socks.
      After my experience thus far with the Whites especially with Mt Lafayette, decided to move on to Rangley, ME. That will give me a chance to do another 220 miles this summer. Then pick up southern ME and the rest of NH when my body is in better shape.

On the far right is the hiker who helped me down off Mt Lafayette. In between is his best friend from childhoodwho is visiting from London.

I thought it was nice for trailhead to bench while I was waiting for my shuttle back to Hikers Welcome Hostel.
      Images
      • IMG_20180615_093131335.jpg

237.18 kB, 800×450, viewed 8 times
      • IMG_20180615_153152597.jpg

232.52 kB, 800×450, viewed 3 times
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

Astro wrote:

Day 6
      7.6m to Garfield Ridge Shelter. Storm with rain last night but I slept well as the lightning did not wake me. Cooler today, so for the first time I wore long pants and my fleece top, gloves, and bennie. Got off early by 6pm. First problem of the day was when I slipped and gashed my leg open. Instant pain and my pants leg covered with blood. First reaction was to wipe blood away, but it just kept bleeding, so quickly got leg horizontal so it would clot and then put band-aid on it. After 2500 feet up Liberty yesterday, started up with another nearly 400 feet. After all that continuous going up rocks, Franconia Ridge was pleasant walking, but unfortunately fog and nothing to see. Climbed Haystack and Lincoln and was doing fine other than fog/clouds blocking the views. A little mist to that point but no serious rain. Once I got to Mt Lafayette it started raining hard. It got so bad I could not see where the trail was. My glasses were fogging up and as soon as I wiped them they would fog up again. So now I am soaking wet and above treeline and can not see where to go. Fortunately a guy who camped at Garfield Ridge Shelter was on a day hike and could see I needed help. I am so grateful as he helped me get down below treeline. My gloves were so wet I eventually took them off. Was so glad to make it down to the shelter. Slept in shelter since I thought it might be warmer. Imediately took all the wet clothes off, and put all the dry ones I had left on.
      Too bad you hit it on a cloudy day, some of the best scenery in New England there. Take care of that leg. Well done keeping those other clothes dry, things can go bad fast without them.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

max.patch wrote:

what a rough day; glad everything worked out in the end.

will this be the first "gap" in your NOBO hike that you have to go back later and pick up?
      Yes, other than a section I plan to make up this summer around Rutland, VT ( when I had to replace my phone).
    • New

What tent are you using Astro?
      I can't decide if I want to take my Little Trailstar and bivy at 29 oz or a more A frame tarp and bivy at 24oz. The Trailstar has a wider footprint and heavier but more room and absolutely stormproof- just don't know if I want the extra 5 ozs.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • New

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

what a rough day; glad everything worked out in the end.

will this be the first "gap" in your NOBO hike that you have to go back later and pick up?
      Yes, other than a section I plan to make up this summer around Rutland, VT ( when I had to replace my phone).
      perfect excuse to spend a night at the inn on the long trail.
      That is the plan. :)
    • New

jimmyjam wrote:

I can't decide if I want to take my Little Trailstar and bivy at 29 oz or a more A frame tarp and bivy at 24oz. The Trailstar has a wider footprint and heavier but more room and absolutely stormproof- just don't know if I want the extra 5 ozs.
      Big Agnes Flycreek UL1. I think 33 oz.
    • New

Last night at Piazza Rock, and 8.9m today to Poplar Ridge. Climbed Saddleback, Horn, and Junior Saddleback today. Great weather and views. Will post pictures and reports when I get to Stratton in a few days.
    • New

jimmyjam wrote:

Endure the extra ozs. You’ll appreciate the enhanced sheltering in the event severe arrives.

Astro, hopefully you’re carrying butterfly bandages. They are better than a typical bandaid with such a gash.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dan76: Clarity ().