Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Astro on the AT 2018

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro on the AT 2018

Only 11 weeks from today I leave for Glencliff, NH. Planning to drive to Hikers Welcome Hostel and leave a vehicle there. Takes two days to get there, so start hiking on Monday June 11, and 398.7 more miles to Mt Kathadin. After completing physical therapy and lots of daily stretching and walking without a pack, recently started walking with a 25lb pack again, so hopefully plantar fasciitis will not be an issue this time. With plenty of work and walking over the next 11 weeks, I am sure the time will go by fast. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

The Subaru dealer next door wants our shop..... bad. The boss is close... it is just a matter of time. Stuff will change......... I will not give up my free time!
      .................. how long is your commute now?
      25 - 30 minutes each way.I measure my commute in minutes now, instead of hours.
      I always measured commute with the “shot glass rule” outside of that circle it’s not for me. :thumbup:
      Overtime jobs I’d use a tumbler. :D
    • Jake Ace wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

The Subaru dealer next door wants our shop..... bad. The boss is close... it is just a matter of time. Stuff will change......... I will not give up my free time!
      .................. how long is your commute now?
      25 - 30 minutes each way.I measure my commute in minutes now, instead of hours.
      I always measured commute with the “shot glass rule” outside of that circle it’s not for me. :thumbup: Overtime jobs I’d use a tumbler. :D
      once measured commutes by how many inflight refuelings were required.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Astro, are you planning to climb over Moosilauke from S to N or N to S? I did it S to N and the descent into Kinsman Notch sucks. Much easier to climb up the steep north side and have the long descent back to Glencliff.

A look at the steep descent into Kinsman Notch:

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-31/i-cBfGf5v/0/288717a5/M/RIMG0517-M.jpg]

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-31/i-mJdRMGP/0/9be38006/M/RIMG0514-M.jpg]

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-31/i-4Ttqrr6/0/e7b806e5/M/RIMG0516-M.jpg]
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Astro, are you planning to climb over Moosilauke from S to N or N to S? I did it S to N and the descent into Kinsman Notch sucks. Much easier to climb up the steep north side and have the long descent back to Glencliff.

A look at the steep descent into Kinsman Notch:

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-31/i-cBfGf5v/0/288717a5/M/RIMG0517-M.jpg]

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-31/i-mJdRMGP/0/9be38006/M/RIMG0514-M.jpg]

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-31/i-4Ttqrr6/0/e7b806e5/M/RIMG0516-M.jpg]
      Thanks for the advice and reenforcing pictures. I was already planning to go N to S. Have Welcome Hikers Hostel drop me off on Monday morning. Then take me back to same spot to head N on Tuesday. Being my first day out, I figure that would be a good investment (also can slackpack instead of full pack with a week of food).
    • I watched my buddy Smoking Sox slip on a rock or a step and start falling down the mountain. I thought we were in for a Medevac. He did get bruised up a bit but managed to keep himself out of Beaver Brook.

The climb out of Kinsman Notch wasn't too bad. But I was glad I spent the night at the Eliza Brook shelter so I had fresh legs the next morning for the climb up to South Kinsman. 1000' in 0.9 miles.

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-30/i-CZz2FZQ/0/56402692/M/RIMG0456-M.jpg]

Have fun! I'm working on finding a long weekend to do the Franconia Notch - Crawford Notch section.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Jake Ace wrote:

I hate big ass steps...nice photos.
      I hate steps in general, don't know why, but steps seem to be much harder for me that just hiking up the hill, don't quote me on these numbers but the Foothills Trail had a section with 196 steps going one direction and 156 going the other, I believe that was called Heartbreak Ridge, I was in good hiking shape then and the 196 steps was the only section that kicked my a$$.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I hiked over Moosilauke in the tail end of a storm with 70 mile gusts. My trekking poles were the only way I was upright enough to move forward. Never so happy to get below treeline and slither down along Bonnie Brook. Going over the Kinsmen after that was enough to decide it wasn't safe to solo hike, so I went home. That was in 2014 before they found Inchworm's body, which was in the back of my mind while crawling over the piles of rocks they call a trail up there. I have rehiked much of the south and of course PA again, but I may never hike the last 373 miles to finish the rest of the trail!
    • SandyofPA wrote:

I hiked over Moosilauke in the tail end of a storm with 70 mile gusts. My trekking poles were the only way I was upright enough to move forward. Never so happy to get below treeline and slither down along Bonnie Brook. Going over the Kinsmen after that was enough to decide it wasn't safe to solo hike, so I went home. That was in 2014 before they found Inchworm's body, which was in the back of my mind while crawling over the piles of rocks they call a trail up there. I have rehiked much of the south and of course PA again, but I may never hike the last 373 miles to finish the rest of the trail!
      Well I am hoping to make it through once. :)
      But how much I enjoy it will definitely influence if I ever do a thru hike. :/
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I went over Moosilauke on what started as a beautiful August day.
      As we climbed up it started to rain, and that turned to sleet, which turned to snow and on top it was a howling snow storm.
      We went down those steps, hiking northbound, very slowly
      I am really leaning to carrying more clothes than I normally have in the summer up to this point.
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

As we climbed up it started to rain, and that turned to sleet, which turned to snow and on top it was a howling snow storm.
      I am really leaning to carrying more clothes than I normally have in the summer up to this point.
      Get a pair of zip offs, and light wind pants(frog togs), when I hike north of moosilauke I bring a light pair of long John bottoms............. bring....
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Get a pair of zip offs, and light wind pants(frog togs), when I hike north of moosilauke I bring a light pair of long John bottoms............. bring....
      Got all of it, just didn't bring the zipoffs last summer, I believe I will this time.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

I hiked over Moosilauke in the tail end of a storm with 70 mile gusts. My trekking poles were the only way I was upright enough to move forward. Never so happy to get below treeline and slither down along Bonnie Brook. Going over the Kinsmen after that was enough to decide it wasn't safe to solo hike, so I went home. That was in 2014 before they found Inchworm's body, which was in the back of my mind while crawling over the piles of rocks they call a trail up there. I have rehiked much of the south and of course PA again, but I may never hike the last 373 miles to finish the rest of the trail!
      I was wondering why 373 miles stuck out in my mind. Then I looked over at the AT map on my office wall.

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-34/i-SZ9NNwL/0/2bab02b4/M/20180328_152714-M.jpg]

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

I was wondering why 373 miles stuck out in my mind. Then I looked over at the AT map on my office wall.
      [IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-34/i-SZ9NNwL/0/2bab02b4/M/20180328_152714-M.jpg]
      I feel like I am entering the vortex where everyone stops. :S
    • SandyofPA wrote:

If you don't mind going really slow, you could join me this summer for my last 398.7
    • Astro wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

If you don't mind going really slow, you could join me this summer for my last 398.7
      Slow is the only way I go, the day to Kinsman pond took me 14 hours to do 10 miles. Problem right now is my much older than me husband needs me around, can't go off hiking for 6 weeks anymore. Family comes first, but my older sister is attempting a thru-hike this year starting on April 11, I will be cyberhiking with her! May join her for a week in VA or PA if she makes it that far! :thumbsup:
    • Drybones wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I climbed them with the Lawyer, SOBO
      I assume HB wasn't part of that trip. With him and Diver8 together you probably could have sold tickets. :D
      It was actually prior to their rift., he did not attend that walk. And I don't even have a pic of Driver on that trip.
      That's a rough looking basketball team.
      Hopefully I have the names right.
      Hiker Boy at Point Guard because he want to handle the ball and be the leader.
      Lazzarus at shooting guard because he hikes so fast and could score a lot.
      Elf at center since he looks like a giant next to the others.
      Coach Lou at power forward since he is the strong backed Marine.
      That leaves small forward for Drver8. :)
    • Astro wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

If going slow while recovering from PF is a requirement, then I qualify. Unfortunately I have to be back to work on 6/27
    • Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I assume HB wasn't part of that trip. With him and Diver8 together you probably could have sold tickets. :D
      It was actually prior to their rift., he did not attend that walk. And I don't even have a pic of Driver on that trip.
      Hopefully I have the names right.Hiker Boy at Point Guard because he want to handle the ball and be the leader.
      Lazzarus at shooting guard because he hikes so fast and could score a lot.
      the dream team :D
    • Jake Ace wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Hopefully I have the names right.Hiker Boy at Point Guard because he want to handle the ball and be the leader.Lazzarus at shooting guard because he hikes so fast and could score a lot.
      the dream team :D
      perhaps more like the movie than the 92 Olympics. :D
    • 7 weeks from today I am driving to the Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff, NH. Just bought a long sleeve shirt from MyTrail. Never hiked in one during the summer, but with black flies and the potential cold I figured I would give it a shot. At only 4oz as light or lighter than the second short sleeve I usually bring. Also looking at bringing a pair of switchbacks (for long pants) in addition to my fleece top, gloves, and wool beanie. Also going with crew length (instead of ankle) Darn Tough wool socks. Don't want to freeze in the Whites, even if it is June and then ME in July.

Lot of work to do between now and then, but really looking forward to it. :thumbup:
    • Week from today I will be hiking Mt Moosilauke. :)
      Leaving Tuesday to spend a couple of days with my dad in Franklin, NC. Then breaking the trip up with Harper's Ferry on Thursday and Glencliff, NH Friday.
      Still lots of things to take care of, including mailing my maildrops on Monday.
    • Astro wrote:

Week from today I will be hiking Mt Moosilauke. :)
      Leaving Tuesday to spend a couple of days with my dad in Franklin, NC. Then breaking the trip up with Harper's Ferry on Thursday and Glencliff, NH Friday.
      Still lots of things to take care of, including mailing my maildrops on Monday.
      Three days left for me, will be in ME heading south Wednesday, hope our paths cross.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.