Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Astro on the AT 2018

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Drybones, Good luck figuring it out (JJ provided a lot of good tips). I am already missing the awesome views and it will be a few more weeks before JJ starts posting his.
      It is always neat to see what is ahead for you too.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Thought I'd try my sons diet for getting the blood pressure down...80 cal yogurt with berries or nuts for breakfast, salad with spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, onion,cranberries, sunflower seeds, cheese, for lunch and eating half what I normally eat for dinner, I.E. only half a large pizza...blood pressure is down about 10 points.

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I've been focusing on keeping my weight down too. So far I've been maintaining 167 (down from a record 184 in 2013). And i'm really concentrating on my knees. Knee work outs everyday: step ups, squats, rubberbands, eliptical etc. Trying to cross train my knees every which way I can.
      I lost 12 lbs in a week doing the 100 mile wilderness, combination of no appetite and some tough miles, thought I was turning into a wuss (and may be) until a flip flopper who'd done the south said the section that did me in was the toughest of the AT he'd done, the decent from the rock climbs did a number on the knees.
      Drybones, you have any pictures from Kathadin and the 100 mile wilderness?
      I do, but can't figure out how to transfer from phone to computer, even though I've done it before...may have changed a setting unintentionally.
      You can just email them to yourself from your phone. Or connect your phone to your computer with a USB cord. Or if the pictures are on a microchip get a "chip converter"-basically a regular size chip that you put the microchip in and then plug that into the chip slot on your computer.
      Found my phone problem...saw it in the mirror.
      Images
      • 317.jpg

237.58 kB, 800×450, viewed 256 times
      • 325.jpg

261.1 kB, 800×450, viewed 301 times
      • 330.jpg

188.05 kB, 800×450, viewed 284 times
      • 334.jpg

274.1 kB, 800×450, viewed 299 times
      • 337.jpg

180.42 kB, 800×450, viewed 326 times
      • 338.jpg

181.96 kB, 800×450, viewed 324 times
      • 340.jpg

235.63 kB, 800×450, viewed 313 times
      • 341.jpg

250.49 kB, 800×450, viewed 305 times
      • 343.jpg

153.11 kB, 800×450, viewed 314 times
      • 344.jpg

200.78 kB, 800×450, viewed 284 times
      • 345.jpg

248.46 kB, 800×450, viewed 327 times
      • 346.jpg

202.16 kB, 800×450, viewed 283 times
      • 349.jpg

161.66 kB, 800×450, viewed 315 times
      • 350.jpg

232.19 kB, 800×450, viewed 323 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Monson may now be my favorite trail town, two great hostels and the town folks make you feel welcome, Rebecca at the North Lakes hostel I slept at could not have made me feel more welcome, only ate breakfasts and spent some time at the other hostel but would have enjoyed it equally...one has the breakfast, the other has the dinners...and all are great...first meal out of the woods was a cobb salad at North Lakes...fantastic!
    • A few more
      Images
      • 313.jpg

215.67 kB, 800×450, viewed 304 times
      • 315.jpg

215.82 kB, 800×450, viewed 300 times
      • 316.jpg

235.01 kB, 800×450, viewed 325 times
      • 321.jpg

220.81 kB, 800×450, viewed 249 times
      • 327.jpg

238.48 kB, 800×450, viewed 309 times
      • 328.jpg

260.16 kB, 800×450, viewed 301 times
      • 329.jpg

118.07 kB, 800×450, viewed 246 times
      • 335.jpg

225.21 kB, 800×450, viewed 258 times
      • 336.jpg

186.88 kB, 800×450, viewed 286 times
    • Astro wrote:

Surgery for torn meniscus scheduled for Wednesday 7/25. Hate to wait two more weeks, but they said that is the soonest they could do.
      Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery. Don't rush the recovery. It will be painful for a week or so. Get your pain meds on the way home from surgery or before if you can. Listen to your knee.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • What the doctor I camped with one night is probably true...75% of surgeries are not needed. If I had it to do over again I'd give my knee 6 months longer to heal, it's been injured several times and healed, as has the left knee...I can't see where I gained anything.
    • max.patch wrote:

read this somewhere once upon a time. most common injuries for men:

age 45-55: knee
      age 55-65: back
      age 65 up: shoulder

so far i'm 2 for 2. haven't golfed since my 20s or played tennis since my 30s so i think my shoulders are in good shape.
      I am all over the place. Shoulder at 53 (surgery 54), and knee at 56. I guess back issues coming after 65. :rolleyes:
    • max.patch wrote:

so far i'm 2 for 2. haven't golfed since my 20s or played tennis since my 30s so i think my shoulders are in good shape.
      I screwed up my back at like 19. I've done PT a few times and "take it easy" and such.....but that included roofing the shop and then the house......when I was in my 30's.
      No knee or shoulder issues..... ;)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork

The post was edited 1 time, last by rhjanes ().

• I believe that strength training will prevent injury as we age (except for drybones who gives it 200%, even when he’s injured). :)

But I’m the worst...I hate strength training. The most I do are a few sets of sit ups and (attempted) push ups a few times a week. I did okay this past winter when the weather was bad and I was at the gym more.

Anyway...after a tough, hilly bike ride on Saturday that made my legs feel like jello and the rough CT hike on Sunday, I’m thinking about using a personal trainer for strength training...maybe in the fall or winter.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • max.patch wrote:

How my knees survived 33 years of ice hockey, I don’t know. They have been blessed!
      I tweak my back every once in a blue moon, but it is fine.
      Alas, my right shoulder, it is about to stop working any minute altogether!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I believe that strength training will prevent injury as we age (except for drybones who gives it 200%, even when he’s injured). :)

But I’m the worst...I hate strength training. The most I do are a few sets of sit ups and (attempted) push ups a few times a week. I did okay this past winter when the weather was bad and I was at the gym more.

Anyway...after a tough, hilly bike ride on Saturday that made my legs feel like jello and the rough CT hike on Sunday, I’m thinking about using a personal trainer for strength training...maybe in the fall or winter.
      I do not doubt I would benefit from strength training, but for me personally my primary focus is going to be on weight loss and overall physical fitness first. I am sure less weight would put less stress on my knees and other body parts, along with improved cardio conditioning.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I believe that strength training will prevent injury as we age (except for drybones who gives it 200%, even when he’s injured). :)

The first six weeks is tough for any type of training cause you see no results, then in about six weeks you see a tiny lump where the bicep should be, or feel that little runners high for the first time, then it starts getting easier and easier until you're addicted because you start seeing results. Having someone to work out with helps most folks. My advice for anyone physically able who wants to get in shape is to map out 3 miles in a safe neighborhood, get a paper wall calendar, walk the 3 miles and post your time on the calendar, circle it each time you PR, start walking, then do it as fast as you can. My wife was grossly over weight and she went from barely being able to walk it the first time to winning road races and doing 8 miles a day (which, in my opinion, was too much...she was addicted).
    • max.patch wrote:

I'm batting a thousand, torn both knees up several times each, back at least three times, and now the shoulder, don't know if it was the cause but the shoulder started after three twenty mile days of hard kayak paddling, and then I have kept it aggravated with gym work...PT guy told me to stop the bench presses a few days ago...think I'll try that.
    • Astro wrote:

Surgery for torn meniscus scheduled for Wednesday 7/25. Hate to wait two more weeks, but they said that is the soonest they could do.
      Astro, so sorry to hear that. Best of luck. Hopefully you come back like Steve Austin, the 'Six Million Dollar Man.'

Better, Stronger, Faster :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Astro, so sorry to hear that. Best of luck. Hopefully you come back like Steve Austin, the 'Six Million Dollar Man.'
      I came back as jimmyjam the Six Dollar Redneck, but hey I'm still a lot of fun.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

That is the plan.
      I learned a lot this summer, and definitely plan to come back next summer leaner, smarter, and in a lot better physical shape overall. :thumbup:
    • Astro wrote:

Out of surgery to repair torn meniscus in right knee. Everything appears to have gone well. :thumbup:
      Now comes the fun part - rehab!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Already planning next summer. I made it to the Garfield Shelter/Campsite in NH. So I see two options for getting back there and then to Galehead Hut. I plan to be slackpacking (daypack) and using the AMC Huts through Pinkham Notch.
      1. Take the Garfield Trail back up (elevation gain of 2,800 ft) (4.8m plus 0.2 on AT) after 1.6m on the Gale River Loop Rd after the AMC shuttle drops me off at Gale River Trailhead (9.3m total counting 2.7m to Galehead Hut)
      2. Take Gale River Trail up to the AT (elevation gain of 1,850 ft) (4.1m) and then walk 2.1m South and then the same 2.7m North again to Galehead Hut (8.9m total)
      Anyone ever hiked the Gale River Trail? Know how it compares to the Garfield Trail? The Garfield Trail was not bad until some elevated rocks at the end. Gale River Trail shorter (.7m and less elevation gain 950 ft) and would be something new, but would stick with the Garfield if it was significantly easier (9.3 > 8.9 but 1.6 on a road easier than 2.1 (twice) on the AT).

Appreciate any advice or insight you can share.
    • I may be able to give you some advice this week as my section hiking plan is in peril. 91 year old father-in-law came down with a saliva gland infection yesterday and my wife is caring for him. Unless he has a quick recovery, I'm not driving up to New Hampshire tomorrow morning.

I have a Thursday reservation at the Galehead Hut, so I'm looking at three options to hike up to the Hut if I can depart at 0-dark:30 on Thursday morning:

Skookumchuck Trail (10.1 miles)
      Garfield Trail (7.7 miles)
      Gale River Trail (4.8 miles)

We shall see...
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

I may be able to give you some advice this week as my section hiking plan is in peril. 91 year old father-in-law came down with a saliva gland infection yesterday and my wife is caring for him. Unless he has a quick recovery, I'm not driving up to New Hampshire tomorrow morning.

I have a Thursday reservation at the Galehead Hut, so I'm looking at three options to hike up to the Hut if I can depart at 0-dark:30 on Thursday morning:

Skookumchuck Trail (10.1 miles)
      Garfield Trail (7.7 miles)
      Gale River Trail (4.8 miles)

We shall see...
      I hope your father-in-law recovers quickly. Personally hoping you choose the Gale River Trail as I would be interested in what it is like.
    • I've never heard of anyone except me having a saliva gland infection before. When I was a kid, anytime I would eat something very sweet, my throat would swell. As a result, I never ate a lot of candy growing up. It would happen probably a few times a week, was rather uncomfortable and sometimes a little painful, but mostly just annoying and ignored. One day when I was in High School, I ate a piece of candy, my throat swelled and never went down. Then it got quite painful. I went to the doctor and he found I had a blocked saliva duct. He gave be a shot of Novocaine under my tongue, made a small incision at the opening of the saliva duct, and out pops this stone almost exactly the same size and shape as a sunflower seed (just the seed, not the shell). The swelling went down immediately and it has never happened again. The doctor said he had never seen that before, and I had probably had that stove my whole life. Once the stone shifted to where the duct was completely blocked, the saliva gland became infected.
    • The first part of the trail Nobo from Garfield camp site toward Galehead hut is a wickedly steep downhill. It was easily 60 degrees or better and had a cascading Brook of water running down it. We had to take a short bushwhack around one pouroff. 64 hikers there two nights ago. Most groups doing the Pemi loop. Seeing about 4 or so thrus a day. We did 14.5 yesterday to get to Ethan pond.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

The first part of the trail Nobo from Garfield camp site toward Galehead hut is a wickedly steep downhill. It was easily 60 degrees or better and had a cascading Brook of water running down it. We had to take a short bushwhack around one pouroff. 64 hikers there two nights ago. Most groups doing the Pemi loop. Seeing about 4 or so thrus a day. We did 14.5 yesterday to get to Ethan pond.
      14.5m in the Whites is a significant "walk"! :thumbup:
    • odd man out wrote:

I've never heard of anyone except me having a saliva gland infection before. When I was a kid, anytime I would eat something very sweet, my throat would swell. As a result, I never ate a lot of candy growing up. It would happen probably a few times a week, was rather uncomfortable and sometimes a little painful, but mostly just annoying and ignored. One day when I was in High School, I ate a piece of candy, my throat swelled and never went down. Then it got quite painful. I went to the doctor and he found I had a blocked saliva duct. He gave be a shot of Novocaine under my tongue, made a small incision at the opening of the saliva duct, and out pops this stone almost exactly the same size and shape as a sunflower seed (just the seed, not the shell). The swelling went down immediately and it has never happened again. The doctor said he had never seen that before, and I had probably had that stove my whole life. Once the stone shifted to where the duct was completely blocked, the saliva gland became infected.
      Yup... stones. Doctor doesn't want to remove them because of my F-I-L's age. He's supposed to massage his gland (har!) daily but he forgets.

Astro, Gale River Trail is looking like the best option at this point. 8-hour drive to Franconia Notch on Thursday early morning, hike 4.8 miles to Galehead, 7.0 miles to Zealand Falls on Friday and 7.7 miles to Crawford Notch on Saturday. Lake R&R on Saturday afternoon and 8 hours to get home on Sunday. Then I get to come back someday to do the Liberty Springs Trail , Franconia Ridge Trail & Garfield Ridge Trail to finish the section.

• Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

The first part of the trail Nobo from Garfield camp site toward Galehead hut is a wickedly steep downhill. It was easily 60 degrees or better and had a cascading Brook of water running down it. We had to take a short bushwhack around one pouroff. 64 hikers there two nights ago. Most groups doing the Pemi loop. Seeing about 4 or so thrus a day. We did 14.5 yesterday to get to Ethan pond.
      14.5m in the Whites is a significant "walk"! :thumbup:
      the trail from Galehead hut to Ethan Pond campsite is easy. Almost flat and there was dirt and bog bridges. A lot of moderate downhill from there to Crawford Notch.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference