Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

"Gourmet" meal with 3 ingredients

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• "Gourmet" meal with 3 ingredients

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

knorrs pasta alfredo with a salmon packet and fresh ramps

Good one, I need a dictionary to talk to you northerners...ramps = leeks?

Hey Traffic, ramps really aren't a yankee things, more southern uplands/Appalachians

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_tricoccum
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

I've jazzed up my Soups (cause we can't say Ramen) by using Trader Joes's Dried Wasabi Peas...adds a nice heat.

...Though it is a little slimy, I think it may be the corn starch they might use as a binder for the wasabi...yeah yeah I goin with that, or I won't be able to eat it. :whistle:

TrafficJam wrote:

Using only 3 ingredients (maybe 4), share your gourmet meal ideas/recipes. The only other rule is you can't use Ramen :evil:

I never use more than 2 ingredients (water and whatever is in the ziplock). Wait a second. This isn't in a straight forward category is it? I would not want to be put on moderated status. Sorry, OZ is giving me flashbacks this morning.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Using only 3 ingredients (maybe 4), share your gourmet meal ideas/recipes. The only other rule is you can't use Ramen :evil:

I never use more than 2 ingredients (water and whatever is in the ziplock). Wait a second. This isn't in a straight forward category is it? I would not want to be put on moderated status. Sorry, OZ is giving me flashbacks this morning.
      I make that too...I call it "Straight forward foil surprise"

Noodles-Joe-gonoff

i first made this in West Mtn. shelter, maybe '89'. With my dear departed hiking friend Joe.

Boil fine egg noodles with not so much water, so you don't have to drain to much.

as the noodles are just done dump in a half to full stick of your favorite cheese

when you have a nice cheesey mess in there dump 1 tin package of tuna!!!!!

Enjoy
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

Noodles-Joe-gonoff

i first made this in West Mtn. shelter, maybe '89'. With my dear departed hiking friend Joe.

Boil fine egg noodles with not so much water, so you don't have to drain to much.

as the noodles are just done dump in a half to full stick of your favorite cheese

when you have a nice cheesey mess in there dump 1 tin package of tuna!!!!!

Enjoy

some fresh native ramps would liven that up a bit!
    • Re:"Gourmet" meal with 3 ingredients

My problem is that my recipes are built from single ingredients.

Israeli couscous, chicken stock powder, freeze dried peas, freeze dried corn, freeze dried chicken, olive oil, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper is more then 4 ingredients.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:"Gourmet" meal with 3 ingredients

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

My problem is that my recipes are built from single ingredients.

Israeli couscous, chicken stock powder, freeze dried peas, freeze dried corn, freeze dried chicken, olive oil, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper is more then 4 ingredients.

i think it is 4 in metric

Probably less "ingredients" then in a single Lipton Side
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Yeah. A lot of times by the time I'm on the trail, I have three to four "ingredients" for a meal - the pouch of chicken or tuna or dry sausage or whatever, the pouch of veggies and sauce ingredients, maybe a pouch of rice or lentils or pasta or couscous if it's not in the sauce, and the boiling water. But there were a lot of ingredients that went into those pouches, back in my kitchen at home.

Life is too short not to eat well.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

AnotherKevin wrote:

Yeah. A lot of times by the time I'm on the trail, I have three to four "ingredients" for a meal - the pouch of chicken or tuna or dry sausage or whatever, the pouch of veggies and sauce ingredients, maybe a pouch of rice or lentils or pasta or couscous if it's not in the sauce, and the boiling water. But there were a lot of ingredients that went into those pouches, back in my kitchen at home.

I guess my intention was more of...let's brainstorm and think of some off the wall meals that aren't too complicated...but I'm having trouble too. All I can think of is my new breakfast fav;

Oatmeal, sweet potatoes, pecans, brown sugar, apple pie spice.
      Lost in the right direction.

1 Carrot
      1 Package Ramen - packet removed
      1 Cup grated cheddar cheese
      3 Tablespoons butter
      Cracked pepper

cook the noodles and drain well
      toss noodles, grated carrot, and cheese together
      melt butter in pan
      make into small pancakes and brown on each side. Top with pepper.

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

I guess my intention was more of...let's brainstorm and think of some off the wall meals that aren't too complicated...but I'm having trouble too. All I can think of is my new breakfast fav;

how do you prepare the sweet potatoes in the field?

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Haw, dat ain't bad! anything with brown sugar cinaninaninamon is a heck of a way to start anyday.

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

schpike em!

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

schpike em!

Boil, mash, dehydrate beforehand

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

schpike em!

Boil, mash, dehydrate

We need a dehydrating thread, so I can learn how to do this...........I'm surprized WOO hasn't done that yet!

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

schpike em!

Boil, mash, dehydrate

We need a dehydrating thread, so I can learn how to do this...........I'm surprized WOO hasn't done that yet!
      good idea! kick it off Coach, I'll throw my couple a experiments in.

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

schpike em!

Boil, mash, dehydrate

'Socks....I have NO knowledge of this, but I want to start doing it. I have a veggy soup/stew that I will post the recipe for, but the dried store bought vegs are toooooooo dry and take too long to rehydrate.

CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

schpike em!

Boil, mash, dehydrate

'Socks....I have NO knowledge of this, but I want to start doing it. I have a veggy soup/stew that I will post the recipe for, but the dried store bought vegs are toooooooo dry and take too long to rehydrate.
      I haven't done much of it either. I have an old Ronco dehydrater from like the early 90's with no fan or heat control, so I just turn the thing on...and dry the hell out of it literally, I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, and may even be over drying and quite possible losing some nutrients...but I'm just guessin....lets get Woo to do it, seems like he knows his stuff on this. Woo, you got your ears on, wanna start a sub forum?

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

schpike em!

Boil, mash, dehydrate

I haven't done much of it either. I have an old Ronco dehydrater from like the early 90's with no fan or heat control, so I just turn the thing on...and dry the hell out of it literally, I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, and may even be over drying and quite possible losing some nutrients...but I'm just guessin....lets get Woo to do it, seems like he knows his stuff on this. Woo, you got your ears on, wanna start a sub forum?

I do so much dehydrating my daughter walked into the kitchen and said, "Why does it smell like wet dog?", looking pointedly at the dehydrator she said, "Mom! How could you!?!"

I've been waiting for WOO to start a dehydrating thread too.

Those ramps sure are strong. No Thank You for Me. Every year up the road they have a Ramp Festival in Flag Pond. ... A week after eating one it will still be seeping out your pores.

Back to Ramen .. Boil noodles, and thin sliced carrots, peanuts, chicken shrimp or beef and some Szechwan sauce.

Well I just fond the thread I am working on ideas of high energy foods that are not the subscribed fast food diet that works on the trail

So here is one idea, a dense real beef bullion with dried beef, carrots, split peas and fast noodles, not ramen. to deliver about 300 real calories with 1 cup of boiling water. Yes there are spices. See the "ask the chef" thread for the bullion... very little salt, or nasty stuff.

favorite - dense breads, hard boiled eggs and salt packs, Soppressata, Amish Farm Cheese.

Idahoan - potato.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: