Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Fishing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My 2018 goal is to learn to fish. Catch, clean, and cook.

About 15 years ago, I bought cheap fishing poles and tackle for the kids but we only used them a few times. I dug them out of the basement, cleaned one of them, and made my first fishing attempt today.

YouTube videos have been helpful with technique and it appeared the pole was in working order but apparently it isn’t. The line would not reel back in. (Is that how you say it?)

The pole has a spinning reel.

I would love advice on bait, bobbins, sinkers, technique, etc.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • Sort of an all around setup would be 6 pound line and use a beetlespin (grub, I like the white ones with black stripes), this lure will catch you perch, small mouth and large mouth bass, stripers, and just about anything in fresh water except catfish as they are bottom feeders. For catfish tie on a triple hook and put on a piece of raw chicken liver. Tie enough panty hose over this to keep the liver on the line. Put a big enough sinker on the line next to the bait to keep it on the bottom and to keep it from drifting down stream. Oh and don't forget the beer and peanuts :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Bo Peep wrote:

My 2018 goal is to learn to fish. Catch, clean, and cook.

About 15 years ago, I bought cheap fishing poles and tackle for the kids but we only used them a few times. I dug them out of the basement, cleaned one of them, and made my first fishing attempt today.

YouTube videos have been helpful with technique and it appeared the pole was in working order but apparently it isn’t. The line would not reel back in. (Is that how you say it?)

I would love advice on bait, bobbins, sinkers, technique, etc.
      Try tightening the drag (a brake if sorts) located likely in front of the spool or at the rear end behind the handle.

PS, I love this lady, always learnin’ somethin’ new to do, TJ we are kindred spirits, there are others out there like us. :D
    • I plan to fish in a lake, next to the dam where I ride my bike. Figure I can keep the pole in the car and fish after cycling.

People fish from the banks all the time. Today, they were releasing a lot of water so it was really churning and people were fishing in the fast-moving water. I drove down a little ways to where it was calmer.

Don’t have a clue what kind of fish people catch in that lake. If I get lucky and catch anything, I’ll start off with catch and release.

So, have to figure out how to remove a hook. I took wire cutters just in case.

I’ll post s photo of my set-up in a few.

JJ, the line is as old as the pole.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • Low and slow in early spring, the fish are deeper and sluggish. But on sunny days in spring where the water warms the shallows you can speed up the reeling, many times you’ll get a hit right near the shore line where they’ve followed it in from deeper waters.
    • If still having trouble with the reel. Most folks at sporting goods shops will take a look when you buy new line and have them load from their bulk supply.

About 48 out of 50 folks fishing from the bank will be glad to overload you with advice on bait, what’s biting, and good locations. Well, maybe not the good locations.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I have just as much fun catching small fish on ultralight as I do catching big fish on heavy tackle, actually more. On a small 1/8 oz jig with a 1.5" plastic shad on it I caught a 1/4 lb crappie, 7 lb large mounth, and a blue cat that would go around 30 lbs fishing in a kayak. The cat had almost all my line before the kayak started moving to allow some line retrieval, fortunately he pulled me out of the creek into the open lake water, I tried to get him on top of the kayak for a picture but he was too heavy, fortunately I was using my wife's rig which I had put 8 lb line on instead of 6 because she hangs up a lot.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

I plan to fish in a lake, next to the dam where I ride my bike. Figure I can keep the pole in the car and fish after cycling.

People fish from the banks all the time. Today, they were releasing a lot of water so it was really churning and people were fishing in the fast-moving water. I drove down a little ways to where it was calmer.

Don’t have a clue what kind of fish people catch in that lake. If I get lucky and catch anything, I’ll start off with catch and release.

So, have to figure out how to remove a hook. I took wire cutters just in case.

I’ll post s photo of my set-up in a few.

JJ, the line is as old as the pole.
      Cutoff the line and have it restrung - some folk at Dick Sporting goods may help you the first time after that you can do it at home. 6-8 pound test for most fresh water. Make sure you have a license!
      [IMG:https://www.netknots.com/application/files/6714/5820/3518/improved_clinch_knot.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Heres my pole and tackle box.
      Images
      • 17D2101A-D7CB-4C4F-A0C1-0F0614E01B53.jpeg

179.12 kB, 800×554, viewed 40 times
      • 4C0C7859-6CEA-4BE6-B94C-1BAB6F0573F6.jpeg

164.85 kB, 800×600, viewed 35 times
      • 5C3BE48D-2F5B-47B6-B96E-1585DEBE3203.jpeg

49.48 kB, 450×600, viewed 38 times

Stephan Pastis
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Heres my pole and tackle box.
      it's a start. I'll try and post a picture tomorrow of some good artificial lures. I have hundreds and probably 30 rods. I went thru a phase where I was a fishing nut, got it from my dad who literally had well over a 100 rods and reels which I inherited when he passed. I sold some and gave tons away. My dad's basement looked like the fishing department in a sporting goods store- think racks of rods.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

it's a start. I'll try and post a picture tomorrow of some good artificial lures. I have hundreds and probably 30 rods. I went thru a phase where I was a fishing nut, got it from my dad who literally had well over a 100 rods and reels which I inherited when he passed. I sold some and gave tons away. My dad's basement looked like the fishing department in a sporting goods store- think racks of rods.
      I wish I was a fishing nut like him. You are lucky my dad had NO interest.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Jake Ace wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

That would make it a spinning pole, right guys?
      she might be weaving while she fishes.
      sometimes I like nothing more than sitting on a bucket (filled with ice cold beer/sodie water) and fishing for catty’s Into the evening...break out the lantern.
      There ain't nothin better than camping on a sand bar with a good group, plenty of beer, hot dogs and a campfire...just throw the rig out and if you catch something that's great, if not, it's still great.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Crawfish. Crank bait. Dives when you crank it. Bass love it.
      This is the second best bait I've used when I just want to catch something. It's by far and away the best trout bait I've used, I've had days where I'd limit out in an hour and no one else was catching anything...it's not what trout fisher people normally would use for trout.
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Crawfish. Crank bait. Dives when you crank it. Bass love it.
      This is the second best bait I've used when I just want to catch something. It's by far and away the best trout bait I've used, I've had days where I'd limit out in an hour and no one else was catching anything...it's not what trout fisher people normally would use for trout.
      Yup, sometimes the best lure is the one nobody’s using, the fish get tired of seeing spinner baits, whirlybirds, and thingamagigs.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

I wish I was a fishing nut like him. You are lucky my dad had NO interest.
      understand...lost my dad early on. Were it not for a couple of uncles and an aunt, my hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, and generally messing around in the woods background would have severely compromised.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Jake Ace wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

looking at the reel, it would appear the line is on the wrong side of the bail, which would account for its not winding. Snip line, close bail and feed line towards and past the little pulley thing on the bail and then up through the eyes.
      I will try it, thanks for the advice.

Stephan Pastis
    • License...

Yeah. Well....I was packing up to leave when I remembered about the license. Oops.

Looking online, a basic license covers everything except trout. I don’t know if I’ll fish for trout and it’s more expensive. Not sure what to do. Thinkin I want to go with the cheaper license.

Stephan Pastis
    • Seeing all the bait options makes me think this is way more complicated than I planned. I thought little bait...little fish. Big bait...big fish. It seems it’s not that simple. <sigh>

Questions...

Should I call it a pole or a rod?

Should I leave the hook on the pole when storing? I watched a video that showed how to secure the hook but it doesn’t work when you take the pole apart for storing in the trunk...the line gets tangled and messy and the hook doesn’t stay secure.

How far apart do you put the bobber from the bait? I’m that depends on the bait and what fish you’re trying to catch. Is there a general rule for basic fishing?

Stephan Pastis