Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Scotts' PCT Section Hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Scotts' PCT Section Hike

I thought I have been posting links to my PCT section hike Trail Journal on here, but I could not find them, so I've created this new thread in case you are interested. I have now completed three years of sections, 731 miles down, only 1829 miles to go. This is looking like an eleven year plan....

I started the hike in the middle of California, I hope to make it to Campo finally this year.

Here is the beginning journal entry from (2016)...
      trailjournals.com/journal/entry/552752

I had already hiked the JMT in 2015, so I counted those miles in my total. If you would like the stand alone JMT journal link, here it is...
      trailjournals.com/journal/entry/518799

Here is the entry from where I started last summer's (2017) section...
      trailjournals.com/journal/entry/580758

I just finished writing my last entry from 2017 today. I don't know how hikers blog as they hike. It takes me about 6 months to catch up on my posts. Save my writing for when you are having trouble falling asleep, but I did get a few pretty pictures. Enjoy!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Just got back from my most recent PCT section hike. The goal was to complete sections 'E' and 'F' of CA, from Agua Dulce to Walker Pass, the two 'least favorite' sections of the trail according to most surveys, the heart of the desert. I have been putting this off for a while.

I will have to call the hike a partial fail. I completed section 'E' (about 112 miles), and came home early. The desert takes a wicked toll on me. I was actually meeting my hiking goals through section 'E', but I needed a few days of recovery time in town and it was not in the schedule, so I called it a trip.

The biggest issue is that the desert seems to destroy my digestive system. After 8 days the 'SLUD' was severe enough that I had to stop. My electrolytes must get out of whack, and I certainly do not want to eat when this sets in. On the plus side, I think I have lost some weight :)

Here is the million dollar question. Have my diminishing returns these past two years been because my body is not suited to the desert (white, freckled Irish boy), or because I'm just getting old. I suspect what I blame on the desert may actually be the response of my tired old body to being forced to do something it does not want to do. The only other guy I saw out there who was in his 60's seemed to be suffering too.

I passed my halfway mark for the PCT during this hike. Since I only put two weeks a year into this, it seems doubtful now I will ever finish.

Anyway, I just landed in Boston a few hours ago. Th is is my pity party. I have a lot to do the next few weeks, so the full trip report will have to wait. Till then, there is plenty of good stuff to share too.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Have tried mixing Propel with your water? JimmyJam introduced it to me back in SNP when he came out to meet me in 2015. I never leave home without it now. Much lighter and no sugar like Gatorade.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

It’s not a partial fail but a resounding success and I’m really happy for you. 112 miles in the desert is impressive!!
      Agree. I always say my hikes have two objectives
      1. Don't die
      2. Learn from my mistakes.

To this points I've always not died and made mistakes, so 100% successful.
      3 older women (at least older than me) on the Foot Hills Trail had shirts that said something like "Did it Kill Us?". They said it was there theme. :)
    • Yeah people are more susceptible to heat related illnesses as they get older...... So I suspect their overall tolerance of heat is somewhat declining as well. When my dad was 66 I think, he came in from mowing the yard and was in the kitchen getting a drink, and my sister came in and found him . He didn't know who she was , or who he was, or where he was. She took him to the ER and on the way several times he repeatedly asked where they were going......

Kind of scary but you definitely seem to need to look out for heat a lot more as you get older. This does worry me as I run when it's 95° in the afternoon..... Of course at 55 I'm not old yet...... But I have at least started carrying a ID with me. In case somebody finds me laid out in the street. Can't go through life afraid. Well, you can but that's not how I care to live. I figure when my time's up, my time's up.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Muddywaters ().

• Last year, I attempted to complete the Susquehanna Trail System loop,but picked the hottest week of the year to go, with temps in the mid to upper90s and the THI well over 100*.
      In addition, the water sources I had found in early April were dried up, and I had to carry extra water.
      It was the 3rd time I'd tried to do this 82 mile loop, but I had to bail out midway through after just two and a half days. The lady who shuttled me back to my car was the president of the STS trail association, and she offered to put me up at her house for a few days and slack pack me if I wanted to finish. It was a generous offer, but I just told her I was sweating just standing still and i really didn't want to hike and not enjoy myself, so I politely declined.
      I don't know whether age had anything to do with it, as I had suffered from heat exhaustion some 8 or 9 years ago due to dehydration in the Whites.
      But even without heat, I've been feeling every bit of my age this past year.
      The only good thing about getting old is that it beats the alternative.
      its all good

The post was edited 1 time, last by hikerboy ().

• Astro wrote:

On that rattle snake, how much more of it than what you see in the picture?
      What is in a hole, or just behind the bush?
      This guy was lying across the trail, but he made a quick get-a-way on my approach. On my hikes so far I have only met one rattler that 'stood his ground.' That one was well hidden beside the trail under a bush, coiled, and ready for an ambush. Luckily, I heard him before I got there.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

I've had a few rattle snake encounters.
      In each case the snake's priority was to get away from me.
      Yeah rattle snakes rattle because they "don't" want to have to bite you.
      When I hear someone was bit by one, my first is either surprised it or they were playing with it.
    • Last PCT Photo Dump. Tylerhorse Canyon to Tehachapi

It was as dry as dust.

Desert Mariposa Lily (Calochortus kennedyi)

'Cafe 549' was a very fancy water cache in the middle of nowhere.

More Desert Surprises.

Mile after Mile of this

Dead Kangaroo Rat

End of the Trail

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • So back in August I filled in that short 'orphan section' I had in the Sierra. Then things got busy and I delayed updating my Trail journal. But it is just as well, thinking about my summer hikes is what gets me through the long dark nights of winter.

The new entries start here, there are four of them, just click 'Next' to go to the next page.

trailjournals.com/journal/entry/659384

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • So, I finally caught up with my Trail Journal. I completed my final PCT section in the California desert a few weeks ago. Another 85.5 miles over seven days. Here is the first new entry....

trailjournals.com/journal/entry/665064

There are seven entries. Keep clicking 'Next.'

This section was hard on me. It has me questioning my ability to do hikes like this anymore. I do not know if it is the desert or my age. I hope to try one more section further north so that I can answer that question, but my wife says 'Not this Year.' :(

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I'll post a few photos separately from my hike. Day 1:

It was a wet winter in California, but the desert was quickly drying out when I was there.

Sunrise Day 1: Joshua Trees and Windmills were everywhere.

And some of the Joshua Trees were in bloom.

Climbing out of Tehachapi Pass. If you look carefully you can see a hiker up ahead.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

This section was hard on me. It has me questioning my ability to do hikes like this anymore. I do not know if it is the desert or my age. I hope to try one more section further north so that I can answer that question, but my wife says 'Not this Year.' :(
      Obviously anecdotal, but the older I get the more heat bothers me.
      2,000 miler
    • Tehachapi to Walker Pass: Day 3

In the early morning hours 'I walked through fields of gold.'

Where's the trail? There were considerable blow downs in this section.

Baby Blue Eyes (Nemophila menziesii)

And I finished my day by walking through fields of gold.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • odd man out wrote:

I'm not seeing any trail. Is that a challenge?
      Oh Man, this whole section was a challenge for me OMO. I take photos at the beautiful spots, but truth is it was mostly dry and Hot. By the time I got to those blow downs the thought of climbing over/ under/ or around another one was exhausting.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Day 4:

A pretty start to the day, but the further I progressed forward the hotter and dryer it became.

Indian Paintbrush

This photo reflects what most of this section was really like.

The Kelso Valley Rad Water cache. Thank God for the Trail Angels who g through great effort to haul this water in here.

Yup, this was my day. Pretty, but harsh.

The end of a long day.

John Greenleaf Whittier