Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

DIY Down Vest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LIhikers wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

The zipper finally arrived and it’s finished! Kind of proud of myself. :)
      Photos ?
      Lol... I posted a selfie, even though I was concerned about it being appropriate. It was worse than I thought, as the ‘preview’ photo only displayed my chest...Delete! :)

Anyway, here it is. Redid the zipper today.
      Images
      • 7E35308B-2804-4F77-B6CB-26446BE1B9C9.jpeg

87.44 kB, 450×600, viewed 15 times
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • In the past, sewing projects were very frustrating but this one was fun and relaxing. The machine ran smoothly, without tension issues.

The hardest part of the vest were the details, such as the collar. The collar isn’t great as (I think) it was sewn out of order. Wish I knew more about basic stuff like that.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

I’ve been thinking about making a fleece vest. The only thing that would make it cost-effective is lining it with a wind-resistant fabric or insulating it.
      I would put the windbreaker fabric on the outside. Something like M50 or M90. The vest looks great
      I found windblock fleece at the outdoor fabric place in FL, (wish I could remember their name). Anyway that would make your vest project easier. I used mine to make a hat and mitts for hiking.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

I’ve been thinking about making a fleece vest. The only thing that would make it cost-effective is lining it with a wind-resistant fabric or insulating it.
      I would put the windbreaker fabric on the outside. Something like M50 or M90. The vest looks great
      That’s what I meant but couldn’t remember the name of the outer fabric so said ‘liner’. Senior moment.

Stephan Pastis
    • Bo Peep wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

That’s what I meant but couldn’t remember the name of the outer fabric so said ‘liner’. Senior moment.
      Senior moment? You are one of the youngest ones here. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

...and hikes the most.
    • Jake Ace wrote:

Astro wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

...and hikes the most.
      Only because everyone is on the injured list!

Stephan Pastis
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

Astro wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

...and hikes the most.
      Only because everyone is on the injured list!
      I'm not on the injured list..........I just don't have a life :(